Bob Newhart Cancels Appearance at Anti-Gay Legatus Summit

Comedian Bob Newhart has canceled his headlining stand-up appearance at Legatus Summit, a virulently anti-gay Catholic organization. So happy! Wednesday Newhart tweeted:

Upcoming Bob Newhart Tour Date Change — Bob will not be performing at the Legatus Summit in Orlando FL on February 6th, 2014

A number of bloggers and activists expressed their shock that Newhart–who won his first Emmy  this year playing opposite openly gay Jim Parsons on Big Bang Theory–would headline the Legatus Summit which will also showcase Rick Santorum and the Catholic League’s William Donohue. It’s pretty clear where the ever-frothy Rick Santorum and Donohue stand on LGBT issues–and Legatus? Writing for GLAAD, Jeremey Hooper said:

Legatus pushes the idea that homosexuality itself is a “disorder” from which one must be “cured.”

Thank you, Bob Newhart for realizing some groups (even religious ones) have darker agendas and want to use celebrities to further bigotry, discrimination and hate. And thank you for looking and listening to your fans, gay and straight, who believe in you!

Photo credit: Jim Wallace (Smithsonian Institution), used via Creative Commons.

11 Responses to "Bob Newhart Cancels Appearance at Anti-Gay Legatus Summit"
Phoenix Woman | Thursday December 19, 2013 08:36 am 1

My guess is that he probably signed on the dotted line thinking that they were just what they pitch themselves as being, a group of Catholic CEOs with no particular agenda other than serving as temporal reps for the RCC.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 19, 2013 11:35 am 2
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 1

Agree but Bob deserves Big Props for canceling his appearance I would have hated to delete his comedy cd from my i tunes. Listening to his old stuff he seems very progressive…for our time. Can’t imagine how people in his time reacted to his comedy.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 19, 2013 11:38 am 3

Uh why bring a comedian to warm up for a hate rally is this a new thing is this how the GOP intended to reach younger and minority voters?
Actually I think younger and minority people in general should all listen to Bob…just not at a hate rally.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 19, 2013 11:40 am 4

Is Rick S acting like or has announced he is running for President again? If he is not then I won’t have any reason to research the guy. I don’t like researching hate mongers I only do it if they are important and or politicians and I feel they need to be stopped.
I often listen to Bob in fact while doing it.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 19, 2013 12:04 pm 5

When Bob makes a joke about needing to be stoned before he gets on an airplane would Rick S have denounced Bob as a drug user? or is it ok for Risk S if your White?

billwarren | Thursday December 19, 2013 12:32 pm 6

He could have taken on his Maj. Major Major character from Catch 22, and told his agent to tell them “I’m not here now, you don’t know when I will be back, I have just left” etc.

billwarren | Thursday December 19, 2013 12:34 pm 7

He could have taken on his Maj. Major Major character from Catch 22 and had his agent tell them “I’m not here, I just left, I will never be here” etc. every time they called.

JohnJ | Thursday December 19, 2013 12:56 pm 8

That was the second heart attack I averted; I was afraid I was going to have to disown him after this gig. As someone said, he was actually pretty progressive in his day. (The first time averted was when I found out that it wasn’t THAT Joe Walsh!)

Bob was actually very popular with the college age kids, even though he was not of their age group. One reason, I am sure, was the fact that he alluded to smoking pot more than once. He was also very much a contemporary of George Carlin who was an unabashed progressive.

I remember watching him do his one sided phone calls on our black and white TV.

onitgoes | Thursday December 19, 2013 02:40 pm 9

Thanks for the update, Lisa. I was curious about this. Agree that it’s possible Mr. Newhart didn’t have the full story about this group. He doesn’t need to do this gig, so good for him.

RevBev | Thursday December 19, 2013 06:18 pm 10

This really is so good; I imagine he was drawn to the gig thru his Catholic connection. Good for him for revising his plans; glad we had the information here where we had the opportunity to post. Thanks….Good on Bob…Have always thought he is likely a really nice guy….

kapock | Thursday December 19, 2013 11:59 pm 11

Good for Bob. I’ve always liked Bob.