George Zimmerman: He’s Selling a Painting on eBay. And It Sucks.

Since a Florida jury acquitted him of all charges in shooting death of Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman has gotten two tickets for his driving and  has  been arrested twice for domestic violence, once against his wife (they’ve since filed for divorce). and once against his new girlfriend. Charges were dropped in both DV cases, and he has had to pay fines for the moving violations.

The former Neighborhood Watch failure is now turning to art to deal with his issues. And presumably to raise some money, since he’s selling it on eBay. I can’t think of a gallery that would carry this tripe.

I asked noted art critic and gallerist Mat Gleason, whose magazine Coagula made waves (and had subscribers like John Waters and David Bowie) for his opinion. Gleason, who has taught me a lot about art and the art world, owns the acclaimed avant-garde gallery Coagula Curatorial, still publishes Coagula, and continues to write art criticism. Here’s his take:

This is the kind of painting that makes George Bush look like Rembrandt. This is either traced from a Photoshop printout or copied with hack exactitude. But it is a painting about conformity and is painted in a comformist style. Extremely un-American when you think about it. The only thing it gets points for is the monochrome, which saves it from being tacky and loud (which would actually make it more American), but the monochromie is the best asset of the rigid-minded, reinforced with stupid text of course because art must be literal in the minds of the simpletons.

But hey, it is on canvas so therefore it is art, right. I wasn’t reflexively morose over the Zimmerman verdict but the smiley face after his comment about staying indoors warrants the death penalty for this scumbag in my humble opinion. What a cruel twerp.

The bids were low, at $330, then suddenly jumped to $15,000.  Seriously? Yuck. Here’s what Zimmerman had to say about his “art.”

First hand painted artwork by me, George Zimmerman. Everyone has been asking what I have been doing with myself. I found a creative, way to express myself, my emotions and the symbols that represent my experiences. My art work allows me to reflect, providing a therapeutic outlet and allows me to remain indoors :-) I hope you enjoy owning this piece as much as I enjoyed creating it. Your friend, George Zimmerman.

17 Responses to "George Zimmerman: He’s Selling a Painting on eBay. And It Sucks."
stevetalbert | Monday December 16, 2013 07:32 pm 1

I hope his next painting is himself in the shower…. or maybe George W shaving wrapped in the flag!!

liberalarts | Monday December 16, 2013 07:46 pm 2

Imitation Warhol, altho George looks like a decent draftsman–supposing he really did this piece.

Kitt | Monday December 16, 2013 08:04 pm 3

He wasn’t a neighborhood watch captain. He wasn’t even officially Neighborhood Watch at all. He was an obnoxious and even unwanted volunteer in that neighborhood watch.

cmaukonen | Monday December 16, 2013 08:19 pm 4

George Zimmmerman sux or the painting sux or both. I vote both.

PillBilly | Monday December 16, 2013 09:30 pm 5

Unf’ngbelievable! There’s now been 98 bids (started at 99 cents) and currently sits at $99,966.00. Much of the bidding jumped in $5k increments, although only another $100 is required to become the next high-bidder. “Stand Your Ground” (with malice aforethought) is likely to become more common by those desperate for riches, yet willing to roll the dice with a jury.

MaryCh | Monday December 16, 2013 10:39 pm 6

George, you had at [under]

MaryCh | Monday December 16, 2013 10:40 pm 7
In response to MaryCh @ 6

…had ^me^ at…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 17, 2013 01:44 am 8
In response to liberalarts @ 2

I think it was was Photoshopped then projected on canvas and traced, then painted in.

PillBilly, I suspect most of those bids are gags. The bidding took a huge leap from $330 to $15,000.

Tammany Tiger | Tuesday December 17, 2013 02:17 am 9
In response to PillBilly @ 5

Wingnut Welfare works in many and mysterious ways.

RevBev | Tuesday December 17, 2013 07:07 am 10
In response to cmaukonen @ 4

Yes, and it sux that we have him here and pay him any attention at all. Brain garbage.

Crane-Station | Tuesday December 17, 2013 07:14 am 11

We believe he has copied the image from this person.

Reworked the image to add the words. The image is copyrighted, all rights reserved.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 17, 2013 07:58 am 12
In response to Crane-Station @ 11

Crane-Station yes! He shooped it a la Shepard Fairey and the Obama HOPE poster (which got Fairey into a lot of trouble) then added the words.

Margot | Tuesday December 17, 2013 08:03 am 13

Crane Station and Lisa, I think you’re right. Glad someone notified the original artist.

Masoninblue | Tuesday December 17, 2013 08:28 am 14

Hi Lisa,

I knew I had seen that image somewhere when I first saw it while reading your article, but I couldn’t recall where.

So, I went to flickr and started looking at American flags.

I must have seen (but forgotten when or where) the Obama HOPE poster and that triggered my memory.

Thanks for mentioning the poster. That’s probably what GZ used.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 17, 2013 09:51 am 15

While legally, in terms of Fair Use, GZ slides through. In terms of originality, creativity, etc, GZ is super fail

PillBilly | Tuesday December 17, 2013 10:59 am 16

I too suspect that some of the bids are “gags”. Reviewing the bid history from my ebay account, the current top-bidder at $99,666, jumped in at the $5k level. There have been four different bidders over the $90k level. The current “runner-up” bidder has 380 previous transactions on ebay. That suggests a high-level of credibility, and intent to pay. The current top-bidder only has 3 transactions. Would not be surprised if they bail-out, should they remain on top til noon Saturday.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 17, 2013 01:06 pm 17

Actually, it’s not satire, so as Fair Use, it’s also fail.