TV icon Bob Newhart is slated as headlining entertainer for the Legatus 2014 Summit to be held February 6 -8, 2014,  in Orlando, Florida, alongside Rick Santorum and the Catholic League’s William Donohue. It’s pretty clear where  the ever-frothy Rick Santorum and Donohue stand on LGBT issues–and Legatus?  Jeremey Hooper writes for GLAAD:

Legatus pushes the idea that homosexuality itself is a “disorder” from which one must be “cured.”

This year Newhart won his first-ever Emmy playing opposite openly gay actor Jim Parsons on the very funny and at times off-color The Big Bang Theory. And Newhart appeared onstage with Parsons to present at this year’s Emmy. Parsons was named one of OUT magazine’s 100, and recently won his third Emmy and the GLESN Inspiration Award. Legatus assures in members that with Newhart

Summit attendees can certainly anticipate a clean show, but they will also get a good dose of Catholic humor.

GLAAD is actively contacting

Mr. Newhart’s representatives to let them know how, exactly, an appearance at this event will come across to LGBT people and allied voices,

A part of  me is hoping that Newhart will pull an  “Elton John in Moscow” and use his voice to speak up for LGBT rights. Newhart will have the floor, the pulpit if you will, and an opportunity to change minds with his legendary humor. Granted, there might be a little bit of blowback, but it could certainly have an effect.

On the other hand, Newhart telling Legatus that he will not perform because of their hate-filled views that harm so many people–both LGBT and their allies– who are his co-workers, friends and fans would also be a strong and bold move.

HT: Back2Stonewall.com

10 Responses to "Bob Newhart to Headline Anti-Gay Summit Legatus: TV Icon + Rick Santorum = Unfunny"
onitgoes | Friday December 13, 2013 03:58 pm 1

Odd. Sad to say, if Newhart is headlining at this shindig, it doesn’t look good. But here’s hoping Newhart may use the opportunity to speak out for LGBT rights. One can only hope.

RevBev | Friday December 13, 2013 04:14 pm 2
In response to onitgoes @ 1

I do; my thought exactly. He does not strike as narrow minded, but the above view notes that he is Catholic. That may certainly be a factor. Thanks for the thread.

angryspittle | Friday December 13, 2013 04:53 pm 3

I never thought he was very funny. This confirms my thought.

Tammany Tiger | Friday December 13, 2013 05:05 pm 4
In response to onitgoes @ 1

That’s about as likely as the University of Alabama abolishing football.

revisionist | Friday December 13, 2013 05:10 pm 5

wtf do most of your tags mean? LIGBT, LEGTQ…

Seriously can people stop making up acronyms and lumping gays in with groups that don’t really have anything to do with gays. When gays don’t even know what the acronyms they mean its getting past ridiculous.

Would it kill you to just say GAY?

medicinecat | Friday December 13, 2013 05:12 pm 6

I will consider Newhart redeemed if he says the word “frothy” on stage at this event.

Lisa Derrick | Friday December 13, 2013 05:16 pm 7

Lorelei Erisis, a queer trans comic from Massachusetts, has started a petition on Change.org urging Bob Newhart to pull out of the event. Lorelei tackles this by sharing a personal story of growing up Catholic and identifying with Bob Newhart as a fellow comic.

Here’s the link: https://www.change.org/petitions/bob-newhart-withdraw-from-headlining-the-annual-summit-of-the-legatus-group

Lisa Derrick | Friday December 13, 2013 05:24 pm 8
In response to revisionist @ 5

The tags thought for themselves, they should have read LGBT, LGBTQ. Thanks for pointing that out, fixed.

If you have an issue with LGBT and LGBTQ, please take it up with GLAAD, as I follow their media guidelines for writing. And as far as “gay” not having anything to do with bi, trangendered, or queer–I think there are many bi, trans and queer people who would disagree with you.

nixonclinbushbama | Saturday December 14, 2013 04:00 am 9

I drafted a post today explaining why I oppose online petitions direct to government officials. However, a petition directly at an entertainer is, in my mind very different. I gladly (and hopefully) signed this one.

For the first time in my life, I felt a bit bad that my address is in Massachusetts because I though that stereotypes about gay marriage-loving Massachusetts liberals might lead to rolling eyes.

On the other hand, thanks to my spouse, my surname ends in vowel, and, thanks to my upbringing, I referred to some Biblical bits about not judging others. So, I hope that gives someone who reads my personal comment on the petition a little pause.

nixonclinbushbama | Saturday December 14, 2013 04:02 am 10

Oh, dear. Someone needs more coffee. Let me give the first paragraph of my post another shot.

I drafted a post today explaining why I oppose online petitions directed to government officials. However, a petition directed at an entertainer is, in my mind very different. I gladly (and hopefully) signed this one.