MSNBC Suspends Alec Baldwin Over Anti-Gay Slurs, Heat Is On Hate Speech Actor

Alec Baldwin is now feeling some heat over yelling the phrase

Cocksucking f*g

at a news reporter (not a paparazzi, there is a difference). Baldwin claims the noun beginning with F was

fathead

and that acoustic analysis will prove he used a self-reflective epithet. Anderson Cooper thinks Baldwin’s explanation is ridiculous and funny. MSNBC is taking the matter seriously, pulling Up Late with Alec Baldwin from their schedule for this week and next. (Not that it really matters, like who will notice? The show has lost 75,000 viewers since its debut last month–a 43% drop from its high of 175,000 watchers. Keeping him on may have boosted ratings, so yanking the program demonstrates MSNBC must really care). Let’s hope Baldwin finds the doors for a mea culpa PR tour closed to him until he does some real work on himself and for the LGBT community. How about volunteering at an LGBT homeless youth shelter and an HIV hospice for a few weeks and getting to know people who are directly impacted by the harsh words you use?

GLAAD’s Vice President of Communications, Rich Ferraro, responded to MSNBC’s decision:

Alec Baldwin still needs to take real action. MSNBC has sent a message that anti-gay slurs carry consequences, and that’s an important standard to uphold at a time when LGBT people continue to face disproportionate levels of bullying and violence just because of who they are.

Baldwin excused his actions on the MSNBC website, writing:

I would like to address the comments I made this past week.

I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have – and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support. I understand “Up Late” will be taken off the schedule for tonight and next week.

I want to apologize to my loyal fans and to my colleagues at msnbc – both for my actions and for distracting from their good work. Again, please accept my apology.

Enough with the sorry, Alec.  Do something, something aside from revealing you have a gay hairdresser in tragically transparent

Look I have a gay friend

move (and  really if you tip well, is that person your real friend, or just a paid one?)  TMZ did a follow up interview with the hairdresser, Nick Berrios, and the video is worth watching to the end when Berrios is asked

if it’s ever OK for anyone to use the f-word.

The conflict faced by Baldwin’s paid friend is poignant.

Oddly, People for the American Way, who have in the past been vocal about transphobic remarks, haven’t said boo about Alec Baldwin’s homo-hating outburst. Hope it’s not because he’s a board member…

Financial and vocal support of marriage equality doesn’t give Alec Baldwin or anyone else the right or a free pass to use slurs whether in anger or in everyday conversation.  The support becomes lip service, donations tainted, the giver’s true colors revealed when words like

c*cksucking  f*

issue forth.

Meanwhile anti-bullying advocate and author Dan Savage had tweeted Thursday:

15 Responses to "MSNBC Suspends Alec Baldwin Over Anti-Gay Slurs, Heat Is On Hate Speech Actor"
ThingsComeUndone | Saturday November 16, 2013 12:35 pm 1

Enough with the sorry, Alec. Do something, something aside from revealing you have a gay hairdresser in tragically transparent

Just what can he do?

ThingsComeUndone | Saturday November 16, 2013 12:37 pm 2

I never watched his news show was it bad or did it just not have an audience?

RevBev | Saturday November 16, 2013 12:50 pm 3
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 2

It was a radio interview show. I heard him once interview Michal Douglas…You may say gossipy entertainment. I wish his ex-wife would speak up about his temper…scary. There was a publicize conversation between him and his daughter, iirc.Not pretty.

dakine01 | Saturday November 16, 2013 02:00 pm 4

Book Salon up with Trevor W.Coleman and Peter J. Hammer’s Crusader for Justice: Federal Judge Damon J. Keith hosted by bmaz and Kevin Jon Heller

ThingsComeUndone | Saturday November 16, 2013 02:05 pm 5
In response to RevBev @ 3

That I remember I might agree with his politics but he is a jerk.

Alex Gordon | Saturday November 16, 2013 02:52 pm 6
In response to RevBev @ 3

From what I’ve heard from reputable sources (TMZ??)is that his wife, Kim Basinger, is also a piece of work. The daughter is a brat, her father is a jerk, and her mother is a lying manipulator. Fun family.

sonofloud | Saturday November 16, 2013 03:06 pm 7

Suspends? What does it take to get fired?
Just another phony Hollywood bigot.

Tammany Tiger | Saturday November 16, 2013 03:09 pm 8

Whose bright idea was it to hire Baldwin in the first place? He was the proverbial accident waiting to happen.

Shutterbuggery | Saturday November 16, 2013 03:24 pm 9

Kim was right, he’s a loser.

stevetalbert | Saturday November 16, 2013 03:41 pm 10
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 1

I think he should suck my c@ck, for starters

Natty Rebel | Saturday November 16, 2013 06:50 pm 11

So have they fired him from those insipid Capital Onecommercials?

mls78 | Sunday November 17, 2013 12:57 am 12

Was the person he called the name actually gay and if so, did he know that the guy was gay? I’m not condoning the use of the epithet. I just want to know if he was speaking from anger or if he knowingly was speaking derisively towards the guy.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday November 17, 2013 10:53 am 13
In response to mls78 @ 12

They were words spoken in anger this time. In June he tweeted an angry missive about a gay reporter calling him a queen and syig that he (Baldwin) would shove a shoe up his (reporter’s) ass, but that the reporter might like it.

mls78 | Sunday November 17, 2013 01:53 pm 14

Thanks Lisa. I did not know about the other incident.

I think Alec Baldwin has a hot temper and really needs to learn how to deal with celebrity. Like many people in this culture think, the biggest insult he can give to a man is to call him gay in some manner. I don’t think he is exceptional in this. In the long run, it’s probably a good thing it happened. Maybe some people will get a clue and it will bring about some change to how people think.

coolblue71 | Sunday November 17, 2013 04:53 pm 15

Alec Baldwin is, what, 55 years old? Around 55, 56, 57?

I don’t think he’s a homophobe. But he is loose-tempered, loose-lipped, and loses on discipline.

If he were a Republican, he’d been at home in a similar position as congressional Rs like Louie Gohmert.