First Thing to Do November 1: Skip “Ender’s Game”

There are many reasons why I’m not going to see Ender’s Game. Orson Scott Card’s homophobia; I don’t care for science-fiction; Orson Scott Card advocates government overthrow; no actors I care about; Orson Scott Card plays the victim; there are way better movies opening and in theaters already; Orson Scott Card, as a producer stands to make money from Ender’s Game, and if the film does well, from subsequent sequels and merchandising.

KSL anchor and reporter Carole Mikita on the “Deseret News Sunday Edition” interviewed Card this past weekend, and the author went for the victim move with a neener-neenr combo:

The only reason I’m being attacked for it is because ‘Ender’s Game’ is coming out as a movie, so that was something that was going to get a lot of publicity for the people attacking. I’ve had no criticism…

I’ve had savage, lying, deceptive personal attacks, but no actual criticism because they’ve never addressed any of my actual ideas. Character assassination seems to be the only political method that is in use today, and I don’t play that game, and you can’t defend against it. All you can do is try to offer ideas, and for those who want to listen to ideas, great. For those who simply want to punish you for not falling in line with their dogmas, there’s really not much you can do about it…

Actually Card, who was on the National Organization for Marriage’s board of directors, wanted to punish people who didn’t fall in line with his dogma, and he has been personal in his attacks. Via The Daily Dot:

1990: Card argued that states should keep sodomy laws on the books in order to punish unruly gays–presumably implying that the fear of breaking the law ought to keep most gay men in the closet where they belonged.

2004:  He claimed that most homosexuals are the self-loathing victims of child abuse, who became gay “through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse.”

2008: Card published his most controversial anti-gay screed yet, in the Mormon Times, where he argued that gay marriage “marks the end of democracy in America,” that homosexuality was a “tragic genetic mixup,” and that allowing courts to redefine marriage was a slippery slope towards total homosexual political rule and the classifying of anyone who disagreed as “mentally ill.”

2009: He joined the board for anti-gay lobby The National Organization for Marriage, which was created to pass California’s notorious Proposition 8, banning gay marriage.

2012: He supported his home state North Carolina’s constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage by arguing that gay marriage “will be the bludgeon [The Left] use to make sure that it becomes illegal to teach traditional values in the schools.

And let’s not forget Card’s call to arms against the US Government:

Because when government is the enemy of marriage, then the people who are actually creating successful marriages have no choice but to change governments, by whatever means is made possible or necessary… Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down.

But they key, in his interview, excerpted in the Deseret Times is this:

[The criticism] won’t affect my work. Will it affect the reception of my work? Of course, but not in ways that they expect. My sales go up with such attacks.

So let’s join in solidarity and be the allies we would want to have, supporting the LGBT community, especially those in states still working for marriage equality, by boycotting Ender’s Game, and prove Orson Scott Card wrong, as the sales figures for Ender’s Game tickets go down.

16 Responses to "First Thing to Do November 1: Skip “Ender’s Game”"
lechero | Wednesday October 30, 2013 04:55 pm 1

Funny. I haven’t been to a movie in years, and I was thinking of going to see Ender’s Game. Now I’m definitely not going. Thanks for saving me money. :)

SanderO | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:04 pm 2

Not many HolloWood films with seeing even for free… Name some of recent vintage… and don’t say Gravity which was a piece of crap I did see for free and still wanted to walk out.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:23 pm 3

; I don’t care for science-fiction;

Blasphemy!/s

Read the foundation series and you see much of what America is going through now. Its in good sic fi writers can say things that won’t appear in the media they just take today’s problems and put them on other world’s or the future I suggest the “Merchants War”.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:31 pm 4

We are attacking him on his ideas but are these ideas reflected in the film I don’t know but if Jews don’t want to listen to Wagner because of his ideas I support them and don’t listen to Wagner much buts thats cause I don’t like him.
People are protesting the film because we don’t like his ideas. If Orson wants to say his ideas in life should not effect our choice to see his film well would Orson buy a house from a Gay in a Gay neighborhood even if it was at a great price, in a low crime neighborhood, with excellent schools?
Whats good for the goose should be good for the gander as long as Orson is not gay why should he care how people live who are Gay?

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:37 pm 5

I read this and think meth head just who is forcing straight people to marry Gays?

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:47 pm 6

OT Lisa your opinion on Rand Paul quoting the Gattaca wiki ? As I recall its one of the worst movies ever made the wiki disagrees with me but even with Uma Thurman in it I could not watch the film to the end.
Never mind the writer/star Ethan Hawke later cheated on his soon to be former wife what kind of family values pol quotes a guy who cheats on Uma there is no way he could say the woman he cheated with was better looking if even Uma can’t keep a cheater at home then even the Right must admit that some marriages can’t be saved and we need divorce.
Unless of course Rand wants to argue that Uma should have stayed with the Cheater. Lots of guys like it that the guys who cheat and lie do end up getting divorced.
Lots of Women feel the same way. Lets see Rand argue to a nation with a what 48% divorce rate that people should tolerate a cheating spouse.

Tammany Tiger | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:48 pm 7

Card is a classic example of the Peter Principle: a successful author reaches his level of incompetence as a commentator on marriage and the family.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday October 31, 2013 04:54 pm 8

The cast also includes Hailee Steinfeld, Ben Kingsley, Viola Davis, Abigail Breslin, and Harrison Ford.

I like Ben Kingsley he played that psycho gay CIA agent in War INC you had the star for a chat here once I believe,, Abigail Breslin was great in Little Miss Sunshine and Harrison Ford well I doubt a star of his Rep will be back for any Ender’s Game sequels Ford has the clout to walk away from any hollywood contract.
Is there a morals clause in films that applies to the writers? Orson by his own acts it can be easily shown would hurt any star’s career and that should let all the stars out of any sequel they signed up for.

jgordon | Thursday October 31, 2013 05:14 pm 9

Well when you said you don’t like science fiction I knew I could stop there. We don’t have anything we could agree on. I don’t care about/like the stuff you would like, and vice versa.

waynec | Thursday October 31, 2013 05:32 pm 10
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 3

Also see, “Old Man’s War,” by John Scalzi
Spoiler Alert:
As each group of soldiers is sent out to fight, they are dressed differently from all others but are told to kill anyone that is not dressed like themselves. So everyone is out to kill everyone else…

Sid58 | Thursday October 31, 2013 05:49 pm 11

“Ender’s Game” — that a code-word for something?

PCM | Thursday October 31, 2013 06:07 pm 12

I love movies and I love science fiction, but I have a policy of not putting money in the pockets of assholes whenever reasonably possible.

grimfees | Thursday October 31, 2013 08:08 pm 13

Even if he weren’t a homophobe, he would still be a shit-eating, libertarian hack.

baron von cheddarwurst | Thursday October 31, 2013 10:51 pm 14

There are plenty of other good reasons to not want to see this movie, aside from the political views of the author. Perhaps it is the subtext of the novel: Ender is a hybrid of Jesus and Hitler. Gross.

Lisa Derrick | Friday November 1, 2013 05:14 am 15
In response to jgordon @ 9

Well, I did enjoy “They Live,” and classic 1950s sci-fi exploitation films, and the Star Trek, the original series.

If Scott Orson Wells had written historical fiction, or chicklit, I still wouldn’t go wee a movie based on his work.

HunterC | Friday November 1, 2013 06:24 am 16

Here in North Carolina, Orson Scott Card was recently appointed to the UNC-TV (the state’s public television system) board by the anti-education, anti-labor, homophobic leader of the state Senate.

Card is a favorite of regressive state political leaders running North Carolina over a cliff right now.

Stopping Card’s pocket from being lined with more money to spend on regressive politics in NC (or anywhere) is greatly appreciated.