Late Night: One Thing the Shutdown Was Good For

Farewell, panda-cam and octopus-cam, much beloved perks from the National Zoo which went dark with the government shutdown. Yosemite is closed on its 100th birthday, tens of thousands of government employees are out of work. It pretty much sucks. Except for this:

A planned Ku Klux Klan rally at a historic landmark of American history won’t happen due to the federal government shutdown.

The Confederate White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan event at Gettysburg National Military Park was approved  for Saturday, October 5. But the gubmit went and canceled their all-white sheet-head party. Clearly it’s some grand conspiracy engineered by Obama and libruls to keep them from rallying. Eleventy dimension chess, ya know.

Park officials  granted the permit because

they have a responsibility to make the land available for citizens to exercise their right to freedom of speech, even if the views expressed are contrary to those of most Americans.

The Republican-orchestrated shutdown of all non-essential government services caused the park to rescind all permits.

Meanwhile the San Diego Zoo offers live panda-cam.

29 Responses to "Late Night: One Thing the Shutdown Was Good For"
eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:03 pm 1

I have a friend who is LPN on hospice unit at VA hospital. She must work without pay.

Haven’t seen anyone mention that the USG employees, are, well, ya know, like real people with real lives & real bills.

The forgotten, looted masses.

Elliott | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:12 pm 2

I didn’t even know there was an octo-cam

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:22 pm 3
In response to Elliott @ 2

No giant vampire squid cam, though.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:24 pm 4
In response to eCAHNomics @ 1

Well, actually I did mention mention that tens of thousands of govt employees are out of work. It is pretty freaking awful. I would think that nurses and doctors at VA hospitals owuld be considered “essential” employees! That sucks massively if they are not.

Elliott | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:25 pm 5
In response to eCAHNomics @ 3

lol

hackworth1 | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:27 pm 6

The Confederate White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan event at Gettysburg National Military Park was approved for Saturday, October 5. But the gubmit went and canceled their all-white sheet-head party. Clearly it’s some grand conspiracy engineered by Obama and libruls to keep them from rallying. Eleventy dimension chess, ya know.

These assclowns are so far off the mark that they pose no threat to the one percenters. There is no need for Federal, State or local government to infiltrate the KKK or instigate bogus terra activities with agents provocateurs, or pepper spray their faces or crack their heads.

In fact, the KKK simply provides an idiotic distraction which benefits the one percenters.

Now The Occupy Movements, OTOH, are a different beast entirely…
A beast which warrants the full attention of all of the above. Can’t have people thinking about how they’re being fleeced. Reflects badly on the One percent.

Elliott | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:28 pm 7

At the National Institutes of Health, nearly three-quarters of the staff was furloughed. One result: director Francis Collins said about 200 patients who otherwise would be admitted to the NIH Clinical Center into clinical trials each week will be turned away. This includes about 30 children, most of them cancer patients, he said. (From behind the WSJ paywall via the Atlantic) (h/t a tweet from science writer extraordinaire Steve Silberman aka @stevesilberman.)

Elliott | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:29 pm 8
In response to hackworth1 @ 6

you got that right

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:31 pm 9

She is essential, which is why she must work. She is not getting paid.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:31 pm 10
In response to eCAHNomics @ 3

LOL!!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:33 pm 11
In response to eCAHNomics @ 9

Wow, that is messed up–I was under impression from news reports that essesntial employees would work AND get paid!!

Elliott | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:38 pm 12
In response to eCAHNomics @ 3

Properly they’d be tanked in the Leavenworth Correctional Aquarium

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:44 pm 13

News reports are not on side of govt employees, which is why I asked my friend what her situation is. I recall that those employees who are forced to work without pay get paid retroactively when shutdown is over, but am not sure of that.

Meanwhile, I told her to call her creditors and ask for a grace period. Don’t know how it will work out, but it is beyond dispute that real people will die and others will lose their houses over shutdown.

Paul Repstock | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:44 pm 14

Does anyone have a breakdown of which jobs were affected among the 400,000 defence department people laid off? Were these all contractors and support workers, or were there active duty personel also?

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:45 pm 15
In response to Paul Repstock @ 14

presstv reported that most were contractors and support workers, like DoD maintenance workers. First multi-gillion dollar plane to crash, raise hand now.

p654321 | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:46 pm 16
In response to eCAHNomics @ 3

Ha! In Russia, giant vampire squid cams you!

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:53 pm 17
In response to p654321 @ 16

What does that mean?

I am camed in my own house. Get ads all the time that wouldn’t appear if there were no camera filming me when I type.

Not to mention those ads I get from subject of my comments, keystroke related.

spocko | Tuesday October 1, 2013 08:54 pm 18

MayDaze | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:06 pm 19
In response to eCAHNomics @ 13

…those employees who are forced to work without pay get paid retroactively when shutdown is over, but am not sure of that.

They will be paid retroactively when a budget or CR is passed. I’m a retired fed, went through the 1996 shutdown.

cwaltz | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:06 pm 20
In response to Paul Repstock @ 14

Active duty are like the VA nurse. They have to work no matter what. Even if it comes to the point where you aren’t paid you’re required to work.

Elliott | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:08 pm 21
In response to cwaltz @ 20

why do I think there are certain member of Tea Party Inc who relish enslaving labor?

Twain | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:08 pm 22
In response to MayDaze @ 19

Some Rs are saying they may not vote to pay them retroactively because of the “debt.”

CTuttle | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:14 pm 23
In response to Twain @ 22

Why does that not surprise me, Twain…? *gah*

MayDaze | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:15 pm 24
In response to Twain @ 22

Don’t those Constitutional scholars know about the 13th Amendment? I guess the only one they like is the 2nd.

Last time we all got full pay, even those who were sent home. These SOBs are some sorry excuses for human beings.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:17 pm 25
In response to MayDaze @ 19

You are more precise than I was. Thanks.

My friend lives close to the wire financially. She is obsessive about bills because one false step would be consequential.

That is her reality and one would be wrong to dismiss it. She has tried so hard for many years (30+ that I’ve known her) to climb up the ladder from poverty.

Twain | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:18 pm 26
In response to MayDaze @ 24

Grassley is especially concerned about the cost of retro. Sick man.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:20 pm 27
In response to MayDaze @ 24

Yes, 13th amendment is more revealing than escaping thru 14th amendment.

Wonder how SCOTUS would rule: govts are people but people aren’t people, I suppose.

Bluetoe2 | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:27 pm 28
In response to MayDaze @ 24

Human is too generous although they are beings of sorts.

MayDaze | Tuesday October 1, 2013 09:31 pm 29
In response to eCAHNomics @ 27

I would imagine SCOTUS would say the employees don’t have standing as they are subject to the laws as passed by Congress and signed by the Prez.

I really can’t imagine that the non-Tea Party members (still the vast majority) would agree to nonpayment for actual work performed, but maybe I’m just a relic of a more civilized age.