Ignorant, Racist Americans Slam Miss America Winner

Syracuse-born Miss New York, Nina Davuluri, is the first woman of Indian decent to win the Miss America crown. And because a lot of Americans are just plain stupid, ignorant morans (yes, I know it’s spelled moron; I am referencing the internet meme), who think Africa is a country and people with brown skin are Arabs (or here in California, “Mexicans”) there has been a twitter-shart of comments like:

How the f–k does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots

She’s of Indian decent. From Fayetteville. Which is in New York.

If you’re #MissAmerica you should have to be American

WHEN WILL A WHITE WOMAN WIN #MISSAMERICA? Ever??!!”

Mmm, she was born in Syracuse, not Syria. Which is in New York. Which is a state. In America. And last year’s Miss America, who is white, is also from New York.

I’m not a racist. She is representing America doing an Indonesian dance. If it was a Miss Universe pageant it would have been cool.

Indonesia is not India. And America has citizens whose families immigrated here from every country in the world.  And if you preface something with

I’m not a racist

odds are the next thing out of your mouth will be a racist comment.

Seven black women and one Asian American woman have already worn the Miss America crown. And with the exception of Native Americans, everyone in America is descended from “foreigners.”

18 Responses to "Ignorant, Racist Americans Slam Miss America Winner"
eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 06:44 pm 1

$50,000 scholarship will pay for one year of college.

alan1tx | Monday September 16, 2013 06:48 pm 2

Is it that she’s not the “right” kind of indian?

revisionist | Monday September 16, 2013 06:50 pm 3

I used to work in media…. more often than not a casting director or art director would say “All American” girl/boy. What they actually meant was WHITE.

I had a career threathening incident one time with a casting director because it call for All American girl. I sent a black girl. Seriously, if you knew this teen you would think she was the squeekiest clean, cutest thing. preppy Cheerleader type. Anyway I got a pissed off phone call. Like the guy couldn’t say WHY THE HELL DID YOU NOT SEND ME A WHITE GIRL but was really angry I didn’t send him an All American girl. I made the mistake of arguing because unless Betsy Ross and George Washington had a love child I couldn’t see how more All American you could get. Then it hit me that she was black. And then I got angry. Had to just end the call before I said something career ending.

Anyway, even though there have been many non white winners, I think there is still a segment that doesn’t think they are “American”. I think that what we see now is just every idiot is on social media and these type comments are now seen easily instead of just on say Free Republic.

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 06:52 pm 4
In response to alan1tx @ 2

To be technical, indigenous Americans are also not native. Came across the Alaskan archipelago during some ice age iirc.

allan | Monday September 16, 2013 07:00 pm 5
In response to eCAHNomics @ 1

SUNY isn’t college?

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 07:07 pm 6
In response to allan @ 5

Do you think Miss America would attend a state college?

Tuition, room & board was $30,000/year at private school my son went to in oughties. Gotta be up to $50,000 by now.

jtperkin | Monday September 16, 2013 07:09 pm 7

Also interesting, didn’t one contestant do a “foreign” Irish jig, and another a “foreign” Russian ballet? Or are those the right kind of foreign?

revisionist | Monday September 16, 2013 07:12 pm 8
In response to eCAHNomics @ 6

actually this just reminded me of why I get so annoyed when people tell me to go back to school…. like how am I supposed to pay for more school when I can barely get by as it is. I’d be using my SS to pay the loan!

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 07:14 pm 9
In response to jtperkin @ 7

You watch Miss America contest. I’m impressed.

Irish were lowest on Darwin’s ranking of 42 races in On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. Now that Putin has pulled O’s nuts out of the fire, the U.S.-tells-no-lies and Russia-always-does nuts have come out of the closet.

Your point is germane.

karenj503 | Monday September 16, 2013 07:15 pm 10
In response to alan1tx @ 2

Did those racist idiots Tweet hate at one of their Tea Party ilk when she was elected South Carolina’s governor in 2010?

(Nikki Haley)

RevBev | Monday September 16, 2013 07:16 pm 11
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

Awww, I was just going to claim to be native…seriously in that blood line. But looks, and sometimes feels, like maybe I am more likely from the ice age….didn’t have the name for it.

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 07:19 pm 12
In response to revisionist @ 8

College is one of the biggest 1s scams. Tuitions go up & up & up. Loans trap students into debt slavery. There aren’t jobs for college grads.

Winning strategy for 1s looting middle class.

Disclosure: I’m on Finance Committee of local SUNY college. Can’t cure the macro problem by myself (and shame on every self-styled proggie for not getting behind Warren’s bill in full force), but try to make sure endowment (puny as it is) does not do something foolish.

Twain | Monday September 16, 2013 07:23 pm 13

I wonder if I will ever get used to the open bigotry of our time. It completely stuns me every day. I can’t imagine even thinking some of the things people say.

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 07:23 pm 14
In response to RevBev @ 11

LOL.

Larger context is that human populations have been migrating all over the place forever (according to what we know now), whether there are occupants there already or not.

For many U.S.ians, history began yesterday; parlor game that it didn’t.

I have doubt about that ice age migration story, but no evidence to support it.

RevBev | Monday September 16, 2013 07:31 pm 15
In response to eCAHNomics @ 14

For me it really is a sort of funny story. I did not learn the background until I was well adult….folks were ashamed. Then my sister and I loved it….one never knows. Thanks.

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 07:40 pm 16
In response to eCAHNomics @ 14

whether there are occupants there already or not.

Reading history of Kosovo. A miserable chore, but have a personal connection for learning the info.

Kosovo is a microcosm of Ottoman empire in the sense of diverse ethnic, sectarian populations mingled in random ways. No drawn borders (determined by 5 world powers in the 19-teens) could satisfice mashup. Ethnic cleansing ensued as one tactic for particular groups to use to establish dominance.

Fast forward to Miss America 2013. Throwing verbal racist brickbats at winner, horrible as that is, does not seem as bad as ethnic cleansing in Kosovo a century ago or in Myanmar (Buddhist junta against Rohingya Muslims) today.

eCAHNomics | Monday September 16, 2013 07:43 pm 17
In response to RevBev @ 15

Because ethnic, sectarian and other flash emotions are used by PTB to divide & conquer, I have become late-in-life, memory hole for some inconvenient facts.

RevBev | Monday September 16, 2013 08:00 pm 18
In response to eCAHNomics @ 17

Funny, and of course, there is a kind of power in that….Maybe see ya’ tomorrow.