Celebrities: Obamacare’s Proxy Recruits

President Obama is personally recruiting celebrities to help promote Obamacare before insurance exchanges launch October 1.  POTUS dropped into a meeting led by senior adviser Valerie Jarrett;  singer Jennifer Hudson, actress Amy Poehler, and execs from the Grammys and Funny Or Die, and one of Oprah’s reps got charm-bombed.

Per The Hill, a White House official told CNN:

The President stopped by the meeting to engage artists who expressed an interest in helping to educate the public about the benefits of the health law. The reach of these national stars spreads beyond the beltway to fans of their television shows, movies, and music – and the power of these artists to speak through social media is especially critical.

The White House needs 3 million uninsured people to sign up for insurance exchanges in order to enable cost-savings across the programs, and celebrities and athletes are seen as key for the outreach. Last month Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius revealed she had been

“very actively and enthusiastically engaged” with the National Football League.

I checked out my California insurance exchanges. I can pay $30 a month more for Obamacare and get the same coverage I have now, coverage I thankfully rarely use (I see a doctor maybe twice a year, get a flu shot at the drug store, and occasionally need a prescription), which has a  deductible higher than 3 months worth of my mortgage.  Under Obamacare, am I allowed to keep my current insurance? No one has explained this to me. Will Jennifer Hudson (net worth $15 million) and Amy Poehler (net worth $18 million) be able to explain why I should pay more for the same thing?  Will Amy Poehler and Jennifer Hudson go on Obamacare?

10 Responses to "Celebrities: Obamacare’s Proxy Recruits"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 23, 2013 09:39 am 1

PROXY RECRUIT: A term in psychology, most frequently seen in discussing Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder.Proxy recruitment is way of controlling others by manipulating third parties into backing you up, speaking for you or “doing your dirty work” for you.

allan | Tuesday July 23, 2013 06:25 pm 2

Brought to you by Z-List Has-Beens for Big Pharma, LLC.

2014 is going to be a very tough year. We better all get used to Majority Leader McConnell.

EternalVigilance | Tuesday July 23, 2013 06:47 pm 3

Obamacare is fittingly named, because the only thing Obamacare takes care of is Obama.

cole65 | Tuesday July 23, 2013 07:05 pm 4

Yes, you can keep it, if you pay a nominal monthly surcharge of $30.

I look at the mandatory purchase of private goods or services(!) this way:
Insurance company executives shouldn’t be forced to choose just one exclusive beach upon which to build the 72,000 square foot summer cottage. If they have to raise our deductible to afford a fourth or fifth monument to their greatness and benevolence, then so be it. After all, they do provide the invaluable service of standing between you and your doctor.

Would you want to be on the Mediterranean when the Titans are summering in the south Pacific?

eCAHNomics | Tuesday July 23, 2013 07:40 pm 5

Good term to know. Thanks.

Yes, whoever these proxy recruits are, I’d say all 20-somethings will rush out to buy something they don’t need because it’s marketed by singers or drug addicted football players.

Maybe if it (the something they don’t need) were electronic.

What Obamacare needs is an app, whatever that is.

hackworth1 | Tuesday July 23, 2013 07:46 pm 6

A telemarketer called my shop to inform me that she represented a company that deals in apps.

Would it be ok if our representative (who will be in your area next week) stopped by to share some information about our apps?

I was like, WTF?

hackworth1 | Tuesday July 23, 2013 07:53 pm 7

Poeler and Rhianna will not be participating in the exchanges. Their job is to sell the exchanges in a down economy to young people who live with their parents.

The economy is still down because Obama believes in Private Job Creators (eg: slave labor formerly outsourced to China, moving soon to Viet Nam).

In spite of all evidence to the contrary,

“The government cannot create jobs”. – Barack Oilbomber

(Unless it is a job that involves bombing for oil.)

hackworth1 | Tuesday July 23, 2013 07:55 pm 8

The top half of my comment disappeared:

Poehler and Rhianna will not be participating in the exchanges. Their job is to sell the sizzle (in a down economy) to people who live in their parents’ basement.

bearman | Wednesday July 24, 2013 04:04 am 9

maybe Steven S will make a movie on the greatness of Goldman Sachs or Bank of America! Or redo the old movie “Why we fight” and call it; “Why we spy”!

Maybe Rhianna can write a song “This land is their land” (a love song for Wall St)

sapphirebulletsofpurelove | Wednesday July 24, 2013 06:25 am 10

Celebrities: “Since I have no need for health insurance, and since I wouldn’t even notice the penalty for not having it, and since I can afford any insurance or healthcare I want, I can tell you young people that it’s certainly a good deal to sign up for insurance despite the facts that you only go to the doctor twice a year and that the insurance will only complicate that.”