Okay yes that’s an extreme headline, but here’s what Orson Scott Card, author of the  Ender’s Game series, wrote in 2008 about marriage equality:

What these dictator-judges do not seem to understand is that their authority extends only as far as people choose to obey them.

How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

Card is on the Board of Directors of the National Organization for Marriage, and one can only surmise that some of the money he has made from writing the Ender’s Game series, selling the rights to the book and being a producer on the film have gone, and may continue to go to fight marriage equality. (You don’t get on the Board of Directors for any organization with a simple $23 donation. You donate pay. A lot)

Geek’s Out has called for a boycott of  the film version of Ender’s Game due to open in the U.S. on November 1 because of the author’s extreme, gay-loathing views. The film’s producers Robert Orci in the Wall Street Journal:

I was never aware of in the book – and we’ve read it three or four times during our lifetime before we got into this movie – I never saw any sign in “Ender’s Game” of anything that offended Alex [Kurtzman, co-producer] or me.

Dude, seriously? WTF! The villains who take over Earth are called Buggers. BUGGERS. A derogatory term for male homosexuals (and yes, I know I am typing the term “homosexual” which is considered derogatory but it’s to point out the utter archaic hatred Card displays for LGBTQ).  So in what universe (except Card’s hate-filled one?) is it okay to call another lifeform (especially the “bad guys”) by a hateful epithet? Like, wouldn’t seeing an invading force called words I never say and cringe when I hear be a tip off that maybe you’d want to reconsider the whole idea?

Wait, let’s back up a second. The producers were not offended by villains called Buggers. At all. Okay that’s it. I want back the $7.50 I spent for Star Trek: Into Darkness, aka Enterprise 90210.2 because clearly the people behind it are either liars or morons.

Stuff comes out when writers write, when you fall through a page the unconscious and subconscious take over, and fiction writers also use their work to consciously push their own agenda (In Battlefield Earth, author L. Ron Hubbard, who loathed psychiatrists and referred to them in his logorrheic non-fiction as “psychs,” called his bad guys “Psychlos.” Oh gods, please let Ender’s Game be as big a flop as Battlefield Earth and whatever that last Will Smith movie was). Even without Card’s hateful bile and NOMing, wouldn’t the terms “buggers” be a tip off that something is a leetle odd? One sci-fi fan I spoke with said:

strange term to use in the 80s – everyone knows what it meant

How could the producers have ignored that?
As the Geek’s Out call for boycott/avoidance of the Ender’s Game movie gain momentum, Card released a statement to Entertainment Weekly:

Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984.

With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot.  The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state.

Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.

Orson Scott Card

There’s a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Tolerance, Orson, means your movie will be released and people will walk past the ticket booth without a second glance. Acceptance means we would pay to see it. And we won’t be.

(BTW, Card’s comment about the “political issues that did not exist when the books was written” is BS. According Wikipedia, Card revised Ender’s Game in 1991, making several minor changes to reflect the political climates of the time, including the decline of the Soviet Union. Why would he revise his book to reflect the decline of the USSR, if as he claims his book has nothing do to current politics, but rather those a century in the future?).

HT PoliCyBear

27 Responses to "Ender’s Game: Gay Hating Sci-Fi Author Names Villains “Buggers,” Advocates Govt. Overthrow"
Phoenix Woman | Wednesday July 10, 2013 10:40 am 1

Hardcore Mormons have lots of experience at lying with perfectly straight faces; they’re like brush-arbor Holiness types except with more money and thus better PR flacks. Go look up “Mountain Meadows Massacre” sometime.

nixonclinbushbama | Wednesday July 10, 2013 05:27 pm 2

I have two pieces of great news for Card!

With Judge Kennedy’s recent DOMA decision and an increase number of U.S. states that are recognizing same gender marriage, the U.S. government seems to be respecting and supporting marriage more and more.

No one will stop his children from marrying, unless they are gay and people like him manage to overcome the will of more egalitarian, less homophobic folk–but that seems more and more unlikely all the time.

So, cheer up, Card.

nonpartisanliberal | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:02 pm 3

…I am typing the term “homosexual” which is considered derogatory…

How is “homosexual” derogatory? That’s the first time I’ve ever heard that claim. Is “heterosexual” derogatory too now? What about homo sapiens?

stevetalbert | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:02 pm 4

I had to get on the pipe and do a google on this. … In the context of ScFi, I thought bugger meant like a bug..

I hear it on BBC America, but thought it meant ‘fcker’.. looking it up, I see it is directly related to sodomites and ‘buggery’…although I thought a sodomite was a buggerer…

So to be fair (because NOM isn’t),,so far everything I found says in the US most people would think it’s good thing or neutral at worse…. as in the following (although for the last example.. I always thought they were saying the guy was a little booger … live and learn.

>>>In some English speaking communities the word has been in use traditionally without any profane connotations. For instance, within the Anglo-Indian community in India the word “bugger” has been in use, in an affectionate manner, to address or refer to a close friend or fellow schoolmate. In the United States it can be a rough synonym to whippersnapper as in calling a young boy a “little bugger.

nonpartisanliberal | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:04 pm 5
In response to nonpartisanliberal @ 3

So there is a bug in the comment software and my comment after the quote is gone. I’ll have to spend additional time now reproducing it.

How is “homosexual” derogatory? That’s the first time I’ve seen that claim. Is “heterosexual” derogatory too now? What about homo sapiens?

nonpartisanliberal | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:05 pm 6

Oh, fuck it! I’m not typing the comment again. I’ll just say that I do not understand how “homosexual” is derogatory.

stevetalbert | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:05 pm 7

sorry, meant go to the tubes

stevetalbert | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:11 pm 8

maybe it’s derogatory because it has ‘sexual’ in it.. but then I don’t like the term ‘same-sex marriage’.

As a guy who likes having sex with other guys. I don’t see why homosexual would be bad. But, Homo is typically not said as a compliment.. I personally think all people are Bi to different degrees.. from 0% gay to 0% straight…so ‘heterosexual’ is also disturbing to me on a certain level. It’s sort of like the word ‘Race’. It doesn’t have a meaning any more because the foundation it was based on turns out to be a false concept. There is more similarities between individuals of the old races than there is between people within the same old category… so it doesn’t relate to any social, medical, biological, or physical. Conceptually it has lost any meaning for about the past 20 years.

stevetalbert | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:15 pm 9

ethnicity is a better word than race in terms of social constructs. Maybe a new word for gay people needs to be used…. since some people even make a distinction between gay for men and lesbian for women..

an embarrassment of riches…

croyal | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:18 pm 10

OSC is a homophobic, religious-zealot bastard and I refuse to pay for anything that he might profit from. That’s a given. However, I have to take issue with ne of your points.

I first have to ask: have *you* read the book?

***Spoilers*** ahead:

1) The enemy are called “Buggers” because they are insect-like beings. In the book, that is clearly explained. In this sense, I have the stretch to get the *cheifly British*, perjorative sense of “bugger”, which no American I know uses. Americans typically default to the other words to insult gay people, yeah? Now, this matters because when I, an American, call my cat a “bugger” I am not calling her a nasty word of a gay person, but a pest, like a bug. And when I read this book eons ago, and a few times at times, I never, never got the sense that these aliens were a metaphors of gay people, but rather beings so different from humans that they scare humans on a visceral level, like insects so often do. This is in line with the cheifly American sense of the word, and yes, regrettably, OSC is American, so you are best to gie his some benefit of teh doubt and lean toward the American sense of the word rather than the British when interpreting what he meant by it.

2) I have no wy of knowing how they’ll handle it in the movie, but in the book att the end, Ender comes to understand, empathize with and even love the “Buggers” and feels deep remorse for what he has done to them. If OSC meant to use the “Buggers” as a negative metaphor for gay people, he sure did a whammy on his own propaganda there.

Gerhart | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:19 pm 11
In response to nonpartisanliberal @ 6

Do you usually liked to be described as a collection of clinical terms?

And then, when does that collection of clinical terms EVER apply in regular language usage to people other than “homosexual”?

Never.

It’s an exclusionary term, used solely for that purpose instead of the friendly term “gay.”

You’re welcome. Now go forth with newly found understanding.

stevetalbert | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:21 pm 12

Sorry to go off topic…. I AGREE that anything Orsen Scott Card does should be boycotted so as not to help people who are basically inciting treason and rebellion for following the law…

Marriage between a consenting man&woman, woman&woman, and man&man is the LAW in several US States from judicial opinion (Third and EQUAL branch of government), Legislature (Second and EQUAL branch of government), and by direct vote from citizens of those states for the Executive (First and EQUAL branch of government) to implement.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:22 pm 13
In response to nonpartisanliberal @ 3

Your comment showed up three times.

According to all major writing style guides: The Associ­ated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term “homosexual” (see AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Per GLAAD media reference:

Offensive: “homosexual” (n. or adj.)
Preferred: “gay” (adj.); “gay man” or “lesbian” (n.); “gay person/people”
Please use “gay” or “lesbian” to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word “homosexual,” it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered – notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using “homosexual” except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using “homosexual” as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word “gay.”

[emphasis mine]

Gerhart | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:24 pm 14

Also, too, Orson Scott Card can eat a bag of salted dicks.

cwaltz | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:39 pm 15
In response to Gerhart @ 11

I tend to not get upset when someone calls me a female. It’s a clinical term. Come to think of it I really don’t have a problem being called heterosexual either. Or Polish or any of other terms that would technically define parts of me but not the sum of me.

Then again, I tend to not overwhelmingly worry about people who know me in only “technical” terms tend to think of me. I guess I’m a witch with a b that way.

Coach Bill | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:47 pm 16
In response to croyal @ 10

I read this book some time ago and agree that the term “buggers’ was used to describe insect like beings, ie bugs.

I developed a dislike for OSC due an editorial he wrote on the nature of science fiction in general. But dislike for the author aside, Ender’s Game is a well written story that explores the use of children in warfare to commit acts that more mature beings cannot or will not do.

RFShunt | Wednesday July 10, 2013 06:52 pm 17
In response to croyal @ 10

It’s been a while since I read the books, but yeah, Card portrays the aliens (I remember them being called “Bugs”, but as I said, it’s been a while) in a mostly sympathetic light.

And that portrayal also shows what I took to be a genuine disdain for xenophobia in general.

For this reason I was shocked when I learned in later years what an unmitigated asshole Orson Scott Card is.

Did I mention that the guy is a total asshole and nobody should part with a nickle that might end up in his pocket.

spanishinquisition | Wednesday July 10, 2013 07:23 pm 18

Dude, seriously? WTF! The villains who take over Earth are called Buggers. BUGGERS. A derogatory term for male homosexuals (and yes, I know I am typing the term “homosexual” which is considered derogatory but it’s to point out the utter archaic hatred Card displays for LGBTQ). So in what universe (except Card’s hate-filled one?) is it okay to call another lifeform (especially the “bad guys”) by a hateful epithet?

Actually it happens on FDL referring to Tea Partiers as ‘teabaggers’ who are considered the “bad guys” where it goes on without comment…because they are considered the bag guys so it makes it OK.

Gerhart | Wednesday July 10, 2013 08:12 pm 20
In response to spanishinquisition @ 18

Uh, no. Have you ever heard of alternative definitions, in other words, same word, not a synonym?

Let me introduce you to one: stamp –

stamp

verb (used with object)
– to strike or beat with a forcible, downward thrust of the foot.
– to bring (the foot) down forcibly or smartly on the ground, floor, etc.
– to extinguish, crush, etc., by striking with a forcible downward thrust of the foot (followed by out ): to stamp out a fire.
– to suppress or quell (a rebellion, uprising, etc.) quickly through the use of overwhelming force (usually followed by out ).
– to crush or pound with or as with a pestle.

verb (used without object)
– to bring the foot down forcibly or smartly, as in crushing something, expressing rage, etc.
– to walk with forcible or heavy, resounding steps: He stamped out of the room in anger.

noun
– postage stamp.
– an act or instance of stamping.
– a die or block for impressing or imprinting.
– a design or legend made with such a die or block.
– an official mark indicating genuineness, validity, etc., or payment of a duty or charge.

You’ll have to work harder than that to pretend that “teabaggger” is equally as vilifying in our current society as “homosexual” is. But nice try.

RFShunt | Wednesday July 10, 2013 08:15 pm 21
In response to spanishinquisition @ 18

Tell it to Griff Jenkins of Fox News and these sign-carrying protestors from the website freerepublic.com

stratocruiser | Wednesday July 10, 2013 08:30 pm 22
In response to Coach Bill @ 16

I’ve read the first three in the series. Enders Game is not necessarily about children doing what adults wouldn’t, it’s about blinding a general to the human cost of his strategy and tactics. The people who set Ender up weren’t really happy he was so young.
When Ender found that his actions had led the way to exterminating a species, he spent the rest of his life finding a way to restore the Buggers.
Calling this an anti-gay screed is stretching. OSC may be hateful for other reasons, but not this one.
The second book about the Speaker for the Dead, was an argument for stepping aside from cultural biases and ethnocentric views. The third book was a powerful look at OCD, among other things.

karenjj2 | Wednesday July 10, 2013 09:31 pm 23

i’ve read most of Card’s books including the most recent finale to the Ender series. Never associated the “bugs” as a reference to sexuality.

i’ve read some of Card’s preface or end notes and only there did i learn of his far right view; however, i didn’t see it reflected in his characters or stories. His work is very well done, thought-provoking, and his female characters are realistic and admirable. Bean’s daughter in the last book just made me smile in reflecting.

Very good read and the book totally disproves the “buggery” hoax that was probably started by some illiterate that didn’t complete the book –let alone the series.

tyrellj | Thursday July 11, 2013 07:44 am 24

Boycott the film because you don’t like the guy’s views on homosexuality – that’s fine.

Denigrating a classic science fiction series because someone decided that nicknaming a bug like alien species “Buggers” is idiotic. If you haven’t read at least the first book, you are not qualified to comment on it.

It’s kind of like people who think all thrash metal is evil because of the sound of the guitars, without listening and finding out that the lyrics usually deal with important social issues, rather than just being crap pop songs about partying.

stewartm | Thursday July 11, 2013 07:55 am 25
In response to karenjj2 @ 23

What’s really interesting is that OSC wrote Songmaster, which actually presents what appears to be a sympathetic and beautiful perspective on homosexuality with two of its characters.

Later, when I found out OSC’s views on gayness, it came as a shock, a total disconnect between what the author created and his personal views.

-stewartm

tyrellj | Thursday July 11, 2013 09:37 am 26
In response to stewartm @ 25

Yeah,, I was going to point that out about Songmaster, but I imagined someone could twist the molestation part into an attack on the book.

coolblue71 | Friday July 12, 2013 04:19 am 27

Ender’s Game: Gay Hating Sci-Fi Author
Names Villains “Buggers,” Advocates Govt. Overthrow

The Lady Author does protest too much.

I welcome Ms. Card to marry the woman she loves.