Late Night: LIBERACE BBQ!!

This weekend brings brings two great America traditions to a head:  Barbecue and Liberace. Steven Soderbergh’s (possibly) final film, Behind the Candelabra airs on Sunday night, the eve of Monday’s eruption of charring ecstasy. My grandmother loved Liberace and watched him weekly;  I thought he was fascinatingly creepy, a vibe was only heightened by his appearance on Batman.

Years later I had the pleasure of visiting the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas (twice!), now sadly closed, a victim of the failing economy. It was jawdroppingly, eyepoppingly over the top.

What will you be doing for Memorial Day? Do you have a fave bbq recipe? And what about that Liberace?

11 Responses to "Late Night: LIBERACE BBQ!!"
ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:22 pm 1

Whether its chicken or ribs coat them over an open flame with your favorite sauce end and once the sauce dries coat them again and again until you got layers and layers of dried sauce with baked in smoke flavor.
Cherry wood chips wetted down with water over the charcoal add good flavor the water prevents the chips from burning to fast.
Fire roasted onions, green peppers, and tomatoes taste good as does corn on the cob I like the corn with a few black edges.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:27 pm 2

Boil Mushrooms in italian dressing then slow roast them over the flame.

valletta | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:31 pm 3

Gawd, that was my reaction to Liberace as well!

I remember thinking, as a young 10 year old, why do these older women find him attractive and don’t they know, um, that it’s not reciprocal? So weird.

Anyhoo, for the Memorial Day pool party I’m bringing lobster roll sliders and bourbon baked beans. Here’s the link to the baked beans: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/05/crockpot-bacon-bourbon-baked-beans/

The lobster rolls are easy, just use your favorite recipe and put on those little slider buns (I use King’s Hawaiian)

Oh and margaritas. Natch.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:33 pm 4
In response to valletta @ 3

Every guy in my high school had the same reaction about George Michael from Wham.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:36 pm 5

I appreciate his style but I remember wondering why he couldn’t just admit he was gay–this was during the mid 80s. I was naive.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:42 pm 6

Batman was such a great intro to actors like Victor Buono tallullah Bankhead etc. so this weekend I will be making a coconut cheesecake for one party and uh bringing be vies to another. I like steak on the grill. My dad used to soak em In italian dressing–good for choice grade

cmaukonen | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:43 pm 7

Liberace as a bad guy on Bat Man…I missed that some how. But then I missed of of them. he was surprisingly good at though.

But I loved the MAD Magazine send up. Bats Man.

Liberace and Victor Borge were both great because neither took the music or themselves seriously.

cmaukonen | Tuesday May 21, 2013 08:44 pm 8
In response to cmaukonen @ 7

Oh and I just got a gas grill and made my first steak on it. It was very good.

valletta | Tuesday May 21, 2013 09:10 pm 9
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 4

oh yes, I was in college but I remember too…”wake me up before you go-go!”

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 21, 2013 09:11 pm 10

Making BBQ on Sunday. 16 eaters (ages 32-80) + one teen who eats only cinnamon swirl bread with cream cheese and a few fruits, + 2 little types. Serving chipolte chicken wings, venison & bee steaks. Purple & white potato salad, tossed green salad, corn on cob.

Monty | Wednesday May 22, 2013 01:41 am 11

You are a sick, twisted fuck for having brought up the Liberace/Aunt Harriet scene from Batman as a segue to celebrate BBQ.

I think I love you.