Michelle Shocked: Activist Singer Declares, “Gods Hates Fags” in San Francisco

Activist singer, feminist, and 90s college radio darling Michelle Shocked went on an anti-gay rampage in at her show in San Francisco, declaring:

You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.’

Shocked, who self-released the album Kind Hearted Woman after leaving Mercury Records, and contributed an original song to the soundtrack for the film Dead Man Walking called “Quality of Mercy,” is clearly neither the former and lacking in the latter. On her Facebook page Shocked describes herself as

your average anarchist skateboard punk rock born again Christian.

Maybe she should hook up with Fred Phelps. They have a few openings in his hate-filled family cult. Tweets from appalled concert-goers at Yoshi’s in San Francisco included:

“she said gay marriage would cause the end of the world” — @anile02

“wow, she’s a total bigot and said so on stage. It was unreal. We had to leave. I am so disappointed.” — @lisahubbert

Video gamer blogger and online personality Matt Penfield, who was tweeting the show for Shocked was stunned, reporting on his Twitter feed:

adding that he was proud of the audience for voting with their feet.

Photo: Michelle Shocked performing on 10/08/2006 at West Angeles Church of God in Christ

33 Responses to "Michelle Shocked: Activist Singer Declares, “Gods Hates Fags” in San Francisco"
wmd1961 | Monday March 18, 2013 05:22 pm 1

This is begging for Tboggs to snark it. Westboro Koolaid? …

Phoenix Woman | Monday March 18, 2013 05:51 pm 2

I view this the way I do a certain skinny plastic surgery addict trashing Adele a week or so ago: A desperate effort to get her name back into media play by doing something carefully calculated to piss off as many people as possible, so she can hold herself up as a martyr for fun and profit when her former fans do exactly what she wants them to do.

Phoenix Woman | Monday March 18, 2013 05:54 pm 3

Maybe she should hook up with Fred Phelps.

I strongly think she’s taking her cues from him — she sees how he’s raking in the bucks from egging people on into hating him and maybe even taking a poke at him, and figures that this is a good way to make her bones with her newfound Fundie friends.

Kelly Canfield | Monday March 18, 2013 06:13 pm 5

And btw Pete Anderson, are you still going to play for her?

“When I Grow Up” should be the answer. Just ask the lesbian that covered it in that linked video.

[Bauman is sitting here going, "hey I know that song. It's a good one." I tell him the backstory. Eyes bulge. 'WTF?'"]

Teddy Partridge | Monday March 18, 2013 06:22 pm 6

Other venues cancelling:

Yoshi’s, where Shocked played last night, says she won’t be invited back. And Dean Biersch, owner of the HopMonk Tavern in Novato, California, has canceled the March 29 show, the Press Democrat reports:

“Due to comments made by Michelle Shocked at Yoshi’s in San Francisco last night, March 17, we have decided to cancel our show with Michelle on March 29,” Biersch said in a brief statement issued today (Monday, March 18.

Space, a venue in Evanston, Illinois, also cancelled Shock’s upcoming performance:

And a Boulder, Colorado venue, eTown, tweeted they are canceling too:

Shocked is scheduled to perform this Saturday at McCabe’s in Santa Monica, who say they haven’t made the decision yet to cancel her performance but will decide tomorrow. Several other venues listed on Shock’s tour dates website we tried to reach by phone were unavailable.

UPDATE: Activist and writer John Becker has just posted a petition at Change.org requesting venues to cancel Shock’s upcoming concerts.

SIGN HERE

CTuttle | Monday March 18, 2013 07:26 pm 7

Aloha, Lisa…! I was shocked when I first saw this at Spinner…

…Shocked was playing Yoshi’s when she went on an anti-gay tirade during her second set, concluding the rant by quipping, “You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.’”

“Eerie foreshadowing at Michelle Shocked show,” Matt Penfield tweeted live during the Shocked performance. “before the show she talked about how ‘people seem like your friends then they turn on you.’”

Penfield later added that her first set was “all cool” but the second set is where she “went full hate speech” while later tweeting that it was, “Totally sincere. Super anti-gay and hateful.”

Shocked’s most recent tweet was, “Truth is leading to painful confrontation #shortsharpshocked.” It seems many people left the venue during her speech but no video has yet to emerge of it.

“no irony,” “@anile02″ tweeted. “She said she lives in fear that the world will be destroyed if gays are allowed to marry.”

bolloxref | Monday March 18, 2013 07:30 pm 8

Doubtless Shocking stuff will join Katherine Kersten in the Wayzata (or wherever Kersten resides) Bunker…………. pondering the demise of Western Civilization because of teh gay.

CTuttle | Monday March 18, 2013 07:32 pm 9
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 6

*heh* Maybe the Westboro Baptists will hire her for their Choir Director…! ;-)

auntsnow | Monday March 18, 2013 07:33 pm 10

WTF?

proletariatprincess | Monday March 18, 2013 07:47 pm 11

There is no need to restrain our criticism any longer. Born again Christian conservatives are borderline nut jobs…and in some cases, like this, there is outright antisocial psycotic behavior. I will never again be told to be respectful of people’s religion when it is clearly hurtful and does harm to others. It is about time we atheists speak the obvious truth that this kind of behavior is intolerable and no cloak of religious respectability will ever make it acceptable.

tammanytiger | Monday March 18, 2013 07:50 pm 12

Had she had this outburst a week earlier, she would have been a headline speaker at CPAC. Maybe Foster Fliess will parachute her into a state like Illinois to run for the Senate next year.

Natty Rebel | Monday March 18, 2013 08:49 pm 13

Back in the 90s she made bigoted comments about hip hop music

onitgoes | Monday March 18, 2013 09:48 pm 14

Don’t know a lot about Shocked, her music or her typical fans. Sad though for someone to rant on publically like that… although now her fans know. Sounds like she has been drawn into some type of cult Church. Not all religious people think, believe & act this way. Not condoning. Just is weird if this is really a change in her personality.

Maybe she became pals with Victoria Jackson??

copepod | Monday March 18, 2013 09:49 pm 15

This 2011 interview helps illuminate her unfortunate trajectory toward yesterday’s anti-gay tirade.
Years ago, I was thinking of pursuing a doctorate in theology. Though I still respect figures like MLK and Bonhoeffer, my more general reaction these days when I encounter Christians talking religion, is to see red – since most of the time it seems to be a vehicle for reactionary beliefs, hypocrisy, and intellectual dishonesty. People trying to force themselves to believe in things that they fundamentally know are fiction, and becoming psychologically brittle and distorted as a consequence. Repressing and castigating themselves and then trying to convince everyone else to join them in that mode.

Tortoise | Monday March 18, 2013 10:22 pm 16

“Shocked shocked! I tell you”

(I’m sorry, I know its lame but I just couldn’t help myself)

Dennis Munro | Monday March 18, 2013 10:30 pm 17
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 6

McCabe’s in Santa Monica cancelled her March 23rd date.

wynota skunk | Monday March 18, 2013 11:11 pm 18

This” One Hit Wonder ” crunch ought to take her songs back to The Farm and sleep in a pigsty, for awhile. And, the black sisters behind her, FukaBunchou.

EarthquakeWeather | Tuesday March 19, 2013 12:17 am 19

Word is, she was diagnosed and hospitalized as paranoid schizophrenic a while back. If true, her self-destructive WTF behavior would make some sense in that light. Even anti-gay religious bigots know on which side their bread is buttered.

copepod | Tuesday March 19, 2013 01:22 am 20
In response to EarthquakeWeather @ 19

Really valid point. I see that apparently even her chosen name is based on the shock (electroconvulsive) therapy she was subjected to. In reading various online biographies, she seems to have had a hard life – mental illness, alcoholism, rape survivor, etc. I’ve sometimes seen others wrestling with those kinds of personal demons drift into extreme religiosity. I’d heard some comments about her erratic behavior previously, but never put it together with mental illness.

drack37 | Tuesday March 19, 2013 02:56 am 21

Nothing like being “born again” in Jesus the man of love and prince of peace!

Bro Tom | Tuesday March 19, 2013 03:49 am 22
In response to proletariatprincess @ 11

Yeah, I agree. Just want to clarify that “people’s religion” is not the same as a cancer in people’s religion. I’m a Pagan, often seen in a darker light than Atheists but taught the same ethic about “respect for…” And after all, both Atheism and Paganism have their cancers too and I would never suggest respecting those either. I’m really sorry to hear this about Michelle. I was a fan of her music.

easyrider1969 | Tuesday March 19, 2013 05:38 am 23

NO such thing as bad publicity in showbiz. Previous to this I’d never heard of her. If FDL stops covering her, I may never hear of her again. That shouldn’t be too hard for FDL…they’ve got experience.

nonpartisanliberal | Tuesday March 19, 2013 07:07 am 24

When I was in my teens and early 20′s, I knew this weird guy who was a Satanist. He turned into a born-again Christian. Same dynamic.

trout | Tuesday March 19, 2013 07:39 am 25

this is so strange .. we played and ONE campaign show in nyc with her a few years back and I got the vibe that she was gay .. might be wrong though. Her performance was really great – it was right after Kerry/Bush and she was saying how they “stole another election!!” – everyone was loving it. This is very sad.

onitgoes | Tuesday March 19, 2013 07:56 am 26
In response to copepod @ 20

hmmmm…. that was my thought: that there is some mental illness involved. Not unusual for those struggling with mental illnesses (and/or the effects of extreme abuse) to try any avenue to find some of “relief” from the struggles & “demons” they may be wrestling with.

Again, not all that familiar with Shocked, but she’s been performing for a long time. For someone to rant like that at Yoshi’s, of all places, suggests to me that this woman is pretty unstable.

I have some compassion for her, as again, I think she’s been sucked into some kind of cult. Hard to say what could be done for her, but if her gigs keep getting cancelled and the money’s no longer coming in, perhaps something will change.

Don’t condone what she said. Just saying that it seems like Shocked may be struggling in her personal life with mental illness issues, which is too bad if true.

Shoto | Tuesday March 19, 2013 08:15 am 27
In response to nonpartisanliberal @ 24

Flip sides of the same coin.

Good to see that clubs are canceling her dates. Hitting topline revenue is always a very good way of causing real havoc.

Matthew Detroit | Tuesday March 19, 2013 08:56 am 28

Bummed–she used to make me shiver with her great songs. I know that she has struggled with her mental health. Reprehensible, but also self-destructive.

Matthew Detroit | Tuesday March 19, 2013 10:12 am 29
In response to Matthew Detroit @ 28

My wife just reminded me that it was a dear, departed gay friend–also an Austin person–who introduced us to (and looked a little like) MS. Just as well she’s not around to see this.

Matthew Detroit | Tuesday March 19, 2013 12:05 pm 31

From the Guardian:

In a 2008 interview with the Dallas Voice, Shocked strongly denied rumours that she is a lesbian. “[But] what if we called you an ‘honorary lesbian’?” asked the interviewer. “I would be honoured,” she replied. Describing herself as a “devout practising Christian”, she said she was still coming to terms with “bigotry” in the church. “According to my Bible, which I didn’t write, homosexuality is immoral,” she explained. “But homosexuality is no more less a sin than fornication. And I’m a fornicator with a capital F.”

yellowsnapdragon | Tuesday March 19, 2013 12:14 pm 32

How sad. Doesn’t everyone who believes God Hates Fags have mental health problems?

BevW | Thursday March 21, 2013 07:16 am 33

Surprise – can you say ooops?

Michelle Shocked Apologizes: Singer Says Anti-Gay Remarks Were ‘Misinterpreted’

As CNN is reporting, Michelle Shocked released a statement saying that she does not believe that God hates homosexuals, and that her remark was only pointing out that “some of His followers believe that.”

As for reportedly encouraging the audience to tweet that “Michelle Shocked says, ‘God hates fags,’” the singer said she was merely “predicting the absurd way” her remarks would be interpreted.