Late Night: How North Korea Sees America–Drinking Coffee Made From Snow

This  video created by North Korean propagandists is pretty extreme, if only for the narration, which claims, along with our diet of snow,

[t]here are no birds. They have been eaten….Their houses blow down very easily…There are no birds in the trees apart from these, which will be eaten on Tuesday. They are yummy. You can also eat the snow, of which there is plenty in the United States.

Full of images of  modern American cities

often disguised as a foreign countries in Europe.

The short film is an exercise in propaganda designed to show the worst of America, by highlighting one northeastern city’s homeless during the winter and claiming this is representative of the entire country. The images are truly heart-wrenching.  It is a great shameful thing, a hideous reality that our country has so many  homeless–it shouldn’t be happening.

The narrative goes very much over the top (the homeless man identified as a former Republican candidate for Oregon state senator, bowls of “hot snow” being served at a soup kitchen truck), but makes me wonder about the footage we see of other countries. How “real” is that? All it takes is footage and narration.

The video shows a man being woken up and given

coffee from North Korea

because here in America, our coffee is made from snow and handouts of

money and cake

from North Korea, which plays into this current meme showing  Kim Jong Un obsessed with cake..

HT: LiveLeak.com

15 Responses to "Late Night: How North Korea Sees America–Drinking Coffee Made From Snow"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:08 pm 1

North Korean coffee!

hackworth1 | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:17 pm 2

American Snow Coffee is all watered down, but I am grateful to have it to wash down my Mockingbird dinner.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:21 pm 3
In response to hackworth1 @ 2

They are yummy.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:23 pm 4

But this video did make me wonder about some of the footage we see of countries we don’t like–their “backwardness” or people starving. Yes, we have people starving in the US (many from crap food and empty calories), but that is a part,in the same way not all California is blond and busy surfing.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:29 pm 5

According to a translator on Reddit, the voiceover is horribly mistranslated. http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1a3t5j/north_korean_propaganda_exaggerates_life_in_the_us which means in propagandized propaganda.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:30 pm 6

It’s kind of amazing that the English voice over turns North Korean propaganda about the US into US propaganda about North Korean propaganda about the US.

hackworth1 | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:32 pm 7

I remember the Propaganda Videos I saw in elemenatary school which portrayed The Soviet Union similarly.

Now we’re very much like the old Soviet Union – once maligned in Propaganda films for Obtrusive Government Power.

This Mockingbird I ate is repeating on me.

stratocruiser | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:35 pm 8

I love this. The writing, the narration, editing, All are simply wonderful.
Especially the line about the telephones not working, “There is no one to call” Beckett couldn’t have written better. I expect a message from Godot any minute.

Some years ago. I saw a fire in the French Quarter, first-hand. Later that evening, I saw the story on the 10:00 PM news. It was like the news guys were at some completely different event. A lesson in selection of details and the truth of the prophet Marshall McCluhan

The way a story is told is as important as the story itself.

stratocruiser | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:37 pm 9

Reminds me of an old joke,
The reason we’re not worried about the North Koreans having a suitcase A–bomb is because they have yet to perfect the suitcase.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:53 pm 10

They do have some very flashy games though–the state games are over the top

nixonclinbushbama | Tuesday March 12, 2013 08:58 pm 11

We see propaganda videos all the time. The videos we saw of the Arab Spring in Cairo, for example. And we see propaganda videos of the U.S. all the time, too.

And bless the hearts of our lazy, complicit media, they air the videos without telling us the source of the video.

applepie | Tuesday March 12, 2013 09:33 pm 12

That is an apt representation, at least psychologically, of Oregon Republicans.

wynota skunk | Tuesday March 12, 2013 10:18 pm 13

It the battle to the bottom the 1st liar usually doesn’t stand a chance in hell of winning. My money, based on that experience, tells me the U.S. will win in six overtimes.

maa8722 | Wednesday March 13, 2013 04:47 am 14

We need to keep an open mind about hot snow.

Tabasco, I’d bet, and it’s lost in translation. Anything’s possible.

Alex Gordon | Wednesday March 13, 2013 12:55 pm 15

I found a translation. It is a pretty apt description of the homeless situation in US and around the world.