Late Night: Doggone Cute

I TiVo’ed the Westminster Kennel Club dog show because Dorner has occupied my TV since noon, but I will be savoring it later tonight, so no spoilers please!  I am a big fan of mutts and mixed breeds, and think it’s ridiculous to pay 1.5 million for a Tibetan Mastiff, as reported on CBS Moneywatch; but they are kinda goofy and cool looking, though the slobber and shed factor seems huge.  But I appreciate the silly names the dogs are given,  like last year’s winning Shar Pei:

And Dorner has distracted me from the State of the Union address as well.  But back to the dog show.  I like a decent-sized dog. I think a 70lb dog is “medium-sized” maybe because I grew up with Great Danes, a father and son pair we were given by a family friend, film director Richard Quine (“Bell Book and Candle”) when he moved from his huge  stone estate on Benedict Canyon to a town house. (We also were given his piano, a  real Tiffany hanging glass lamp, and a painting that hangs in my dining room).

I keep thinking occasionally I want a new dog to replace my beloved Dexter–there are so many dogs that need homes, but I realize that my lifestyle now wouldn’t allow me to devote the time a rescue pooch would need, let alone some million dollar drooler.

15 Responses to "Late Night: Doggone Cute"
Elliott | Tuesday February 12, 2013 08:10 pm 1

I’m a natural born cat person, OK cat lady – let’s be honest here – never liked the slobber part of dogs but I’ve always been fond of the golden retriever, the mega-dogs are impressive though. It would be boss to have a pak of mastiffs “on call”, as it were.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 12, 2013 08:17 pm 2

I have had more cats than dogs, and I prefer non slobber ones with short facial hair…

marymccurnin | Tuesday February 12, 2013 08:36 pm 3

I have three kittahs and a dog. Tonight I have been actively looking for a second dog. No slobber, please. Small to medium.

marymccurnin | Tuesday February 12, 2013 08:48 pm 4

I mean I have been looking on Craigslist. Not FDL. heh.

chicago dyke | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:01 pm 5

i always find it interesting to think of the political metaphors these classic cartoons represent.

little like that today. most “children’s” cartoons are little more than ads for toys and games and whatnot. no wit, metaphor or politics involved. it’s like torture for moms and dads who have little choice but to turn them on to quiet the screaming kid while trying to shovel food down their throat.

i used to get up early to watch “old” cartoons on Saturdays. Bugs, Road Runner, all that good stuff. nothing like that today. “Brianna, the Barbie Princess who buys clothes at Wal Mart” is what my nieces get, instead. sad.

Elliott | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:15 pm 6
In response to chicago dyke @ 5

worse than sad, pathetic.

funny how the old cartoons introduced us to classical music
and that’s not touching on the subversity

we were lucky

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:31 pm 7

I think that grooming a Portugese Water Dog like a Silly Poodle is about the stupidest thing I’ve seen this year. And it won its class!

Plus: the LAPD and the SBSD have both admitted they have no idea if there’s a body in that cabin they burned to the ground. Heh.

tejanarusa | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:31 pm 8
In response to Elliott @ 6

So true. I wish I knew how to find (assuming anyone would put them up on youtube) the even older ones that were still on Saturday mornings in the fifties and early sixties, from the thirties.

I found them fascinating just because they were so old, and offered a glimpse into how people lived before I was born…horse-drawn fire engines, houses that looked completely different, stuff I can’t put my finger on right now, and they usually had classical background music…can’t think what they were called…wait, Silly Symphonies, maybe?

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:33 pm 9

We went with friends to the OHS place where they have dogs and cats for adoption on Sunday.

It’s a very good thing Our LandLady doesn’t permit pets, because we were about ready to fill up the wayback in our friend’s SUV. So many needful doggies and kitties — even some bunnies the Badger was quite taken with!

tejanarusa | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:38 pm 10

Ah, found a bunch of Silly Symphonies! A bunch I don’t think I’ve ever seen. But they aren’t the ones I was thinking of, with a draft horse named, um, Clarabelle, maybe? Hmmm more coming back to me; maybe I can find some of those, too.
Here’s one of Sillies, “the Country Cousin

tejanarusa | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:42 pm 11
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 9

Oh, so true. I get an email list and facebook feeds from a few of the local rescue groups trying to cut down on the enormous number of cats and dogs euthanized here. I want to take so many of the sweet-faced dogs, and injured kittehs….they need fosters as well as adopters. If I ever get to retire, I’m going to try fostering. Well, if I ever get to have a place I own, I guess. Not just to avoid the landlords’ rules about pets, but just to have more space. Just a spare bedroom to take care of a foster (or even one of my own when they’re sick, for isolation). So many in need, so many having been treated badly. But I’m at my limit for now, with four kittehs

Elliott | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:45 pm 12
In response to tejanarusa @ 10

Clarabelle was Disney

Today no doubt she’s saying “Don’t eat me, bro!”

Elliott | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:47 pm 13
In response to tejanarusa @ 11

my family is grateful that I’m NOT a cat hoarder – I do love the kittens

tejanarusa | Tuesday February 12, 2013 09:56 pm 14
In response to Elliott @ 13

What an adorable group!
Yeah, I need to go to Petco during the week to avoid the kitteh (and dog) rescue groups with their lovely potential adoptees. Have to just turn my head and not think about how sweet those little kittehs are….Like I said, my four are enough.

Re the cartoons; just found some Merrie Melodies, in black and white, early thirties, part of what I was thinking of. May have to do some more research. ; ) Thanks for the tip.

perris | Wednesday February 13, 2013 05:37 am 15

I’ve always been a husky/shepard boy

later in life I adopted a junkyard dog, as smart as a 5 year old person and our friendship became famous

I later found out he was a border collie, border collies are so smart, when auditioning as an animal handler you are not allowed to bring them since they are so smart, anyone can train them

Then we got my dad a pug in his later years, I have to tell you, there is no more loyal dog, and they are clowns through and through and they know it, they attach to your feet and follow you wherever you go, laughing at you when you trip over them, and they just love to snuggle.