Late Night: New Years Day!

My past few New Year’s Eves have been really, well, not the best way to start the new year.  But sorry to argue with Bono and U2–this year something changed on New Year’s Day!

SURPRISE! Like always, New Year’s Eve companionship (when I had it, because sometimes I escaped parties early and stayed with the dogs, may they rest in peace, so they wouldn’t freak out over gunfire) was excellent; but this year somehow got off to a more optimistic start and has stayed that way. Men revealed themselves to be gentlemen, as opposed to men who were uncovered as lying cads (those new years holiday 2005/2006 and 2009/10 sucked); women were kind and more beautiful than ever. Plus there was a high speed chase through the Valley televised around 9:30 as I rested at home after six-course dinner (amuse-bouche; oysters with caviar and champagne foam or truffled eggs for appetizer; followed by the temptation of either house smoked/cured sea trout or the best steak tartare I’ve ever tasted; a choice of butter poached lobster or prime New York strip; and to finish either cheese or chocolate pots de creme. yes, I went chocolate. (Best of all, my friend Skip was cooking along with Chef Tim at Papilles, which is my local dining hall, so it was pretty cool).

Skip’s wife Stacy runs a company called Iconic PinUps, and I boldly had her and her partner Carol shoot me as a pin up girl for my Krampus gift to myself (To offset the meals at Papilles, I now work out 3-5 days a week, and now have three part time jobs as opposed to one, so maybe the whole Obama economic recovery thing is actually working!).

I overheard the best thing last night as I waited for my dude roommate Mark Ebner to pick me up after my return to Papilles for the New Year’s Eve toast. A couple walked by me outside and the guy said:

And then she tore the bow tie off my face and I was ‘What the fuck?!’

Uh, maybe you shouldn’t wear a bow tie on your face?

It got weirder in England where:

A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary said: “Police are seeking a group of four people, two of whom were dressed as Oompa Loompas, who attacked a male on a night-out.

“Two of the males were dressed as Oompa Loompas from Charlie And The Chocolate Factory with painted orange faces and dyed green hair and were wearing hooped tops.”

The spokesman added: “One of the males in the group then pushed the victim to the floor before he got up.

“He was then hit on the head, fell to the floor and hit again.”

Ahhh, when Ooompa Loompas attack….

I always make Hopping’ John, black-eyed peas (coins) with greens (folding money); other friends have pancake breakfasts (pancakes being “gold coins”). Here are some other New Years Day superstitions. Do you have any?

I just feel this is going to be a good year, and hope you all feel the same way. And that we’re correct in our beliefs!

Best of all, look at what 2013 backwards spells… And can’t we all use a little of that?

18 Responses to "Late Night: New Years Day!"
DrDick | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:08 pm 1

Lisa!

Quiet night for me as usual. Went to bed at 10:and slept soundly all night. Went hiking for three miles in the snow this afternoon.

wmd1961 | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:21 pm 2

Fantastic. I saw the pinup earlier and thought it was from the 30s or 40s, they do a great job.

I had fresh from the hen eggs for breakfast, then provided split pea soup to a number of hair of the dog drinkers.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:23 pm 3

I was up at midnight (local time), but not for long afterward. Happy new year, by the way.

masaccio | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:27 pm 4

Happy New Year to all. We babysat for our daughter who kindly left a bottle of champagne and a bunch of chocolate. Then a long walk to a very cold car at 2:30 in the am. That’ll introduce you to Chicago!

DrDick | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:27 pm 5
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 3

And to you and all who are here. Tomorrow I have to go back to work as I am teaching a class in the winter short session. Nothing like covering a whole semester in three weeks.

DrDick | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:28 pm 6
In response to masaccio @ 4

Been there (getting into a freezing car at 2:30 am in Chicago).

DrDick | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:35 pm 7

Think I will call it an early night as I am fading fast here. Take care all.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:36 pm 8

I’ve still got most of two weeks before the pre-semester placement testing starts, but if I’m smart I’ll be getting some advance work done. I think I’m just about past the restful part of the break anyway and on into getting bored silly.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:37 pm 9

Good night, and good luck with the three-week semester.

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:55 pm 10

good night

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:55 pm 11

i made it til 10:30. love the eros pic.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 1, 2013 08:58 pm 12

Happy new year!!

greenwarrior | Tuesday January 1, 2013 09:07 pm 13

Happy New Year all.

I went to sleep early last night, but then ushered in the New Year today with the Minor Mishap Marching Band having at it with the crowd on a march in a downtown park and on the hike and bike trail by the river. Great time this afternoon. Link is from a different event.

Then over to political friends for black eyed peas, cornbread and collard greens. A fire in the fireplace and another in the backyard. Big drumming circle. A couple of the folks were organizers for the Tar Sands blockade and one of them had been sitting in the trees causing a sharp turn in the pipeline.

Great way to call in the New Year.

Love to all the pups. May we all have the health and the will to keep on with our secret plan to save the earth.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 1, 2013 09:18 pm 14

What a cool day, gw! I hadn’t even heard that the pipeline had given in and changed route; that’s great news. A lovely way to start the new year.

greenwarrior | Tuesday January 1, 2013 09:24 pm 15
In response to tejanarusa @ 14

Happy New Year, sweetheart. You should come to Austin for the gathering of the street bands from all over the U.S. It’ll be the weekend of March 22-24 this year of 2013. It’s such a spectacle, with all the costumes and skits and great music.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 1, 2013 09:26 pm 16

Kewl!As our newspapers die, I find less and less news of what’s happening in Austin or elsewhere.

I’ll put it in my calendar!

greenwarrior | Tuesday January 1, 2013 09:34 pm 17
In response to tejanarusa @ 16

It’s called Honk!TX if you want to google it. Let me know if you’ll be coming.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 1, 2013 10:06 pm 18