NASA continues to peer into the future, claiming that the world did not end on 12.21.12. We’ll address that on 12.22.12. If we’re here. Meanwhile, I got email from JP Sottile at newsvandal with whom I have an ongoing tinfoil millinery competition:

the real question is whether or not A.I. was a secret endorsement of the mayan apocalypse and if nasa is getting back at kubrick ex post facto? joel haley osment is the catalyst for a mayan ragnarok

Why would NASA want to get back at Kubrick? Well, pull out your tinsel top hat and settle in for what I put JP through the other night, bwhahhaha! Seems that, according to conspiracy theorist film geeks, while Kubrick was making 2001: A Space Odyssey, he was also faking the moon landing, and he felt so guilty about it that he later tipped everyone off in The Shining, if you can just find at the clues. And to make it easy for you, there’s a video that lays it all out. (It’s an hour long, so here’s the short TL/DW version):

¬†A.I. was originally developed by Kubrick beginning in the mid-1970s. Despite the growth in technology over the decades, Kubrick felt that neither computer generated effects nor child actors were good enough to portray the character of David, so he handed it over to Steven Spielberg in 1995, and it was only after Kubrick’s death in 1999 that the project gained momentum and was finally made. A.I. was released in 2001 with Haley Joel Osment as David.

Meanwhile, Martin Scorsese will be directing a documentary about Bill Clinton for HBO. Suggested titles:

Goodbubba
Hillary Doesn’t Live Here Anymore
New York! New York!
Last Temptation of Clinton
The President of Comedy

And once again Santacon took to the streets! This annual tradition, begun in 1995 in San Francisco, features  people in cities around the world dressing up as Santa and acting like slightly better-behaved Krampuses (Krampi?), thereby creating Santarchy.

Here’s a look at the first Santacon, a 39 minute mini-doc in glory days before TSA took away the airport fun, and their recent exploits in Los Angeles:

the East Village

and San Francisco

And if you love Santa, or sci-fi, on Monday December 24, we’ll be celebrating the 200th movie of Firedoglake Movie Night with Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, a special request from my producer Bev who is also the driving force (and heavy-lifter)¬† behind FDL Book Salons. You can watch the full version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians FREE here.

22 Responses to "Late Night: Armageddon Tired of this Mayan Apocalypse. Now Everyone’s Gone to the Movies. Or Santacon!"
Elliott | Tuesday December 18, 2012 07:59 pm 1

Here’s the weather report for the rest of the week.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:10 pm 2
In response to Elliott @ 1

Those crazy German Maya people…

DrDick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:15 pm 3

There is apparently only one inscription to even mention this and all it says is that the world will and at the end of a baktun, without specifying which one. Friday happens to be one which means Saturday is Day 1!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:17 pm 4

Yup. In case I’m somewhere else on Saturday, Happy 14th Baktun, everyone!

wynota skunk | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:25 pm 5

I figured all of this out eons ago. Just prophesizin. Ah Uch Tiba

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:27 pm 6

Oh my God Hates Tires! http://i.imgur.com/2NIxv.jpg This is Westboro Baptist Church’s van….

DrDick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:28 pm 7

LOL!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:29 pm 8

Someone was not thinking clearly. Why would you want to keep Phred Felps’ hate squad around any longer than you absolutely have to?

eCAHNomics | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:30 pm 9

And supposing the world does end on Friday. What’s the diff.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:35 pm 10
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 8

I think it’s to keep them form going any further from the hotel!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:40 pm 11

Maybe. I think it would be more fun to hack Westboro’s GPS and send them to Albuquerque, though.

DrDick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:45 pm 12
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 11

Waco.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:45 pm 13

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:47 pm 14

Pronounced “wacko,” of course.

DrDick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:50 pm 15
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 14

They mostly are.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 08:54 pm 16

cmaukonen | Tuesday December 18, 2012 09:08 pm 17

I also understand the Kubrick was conferring with Spielberg to make another Elvis movie but Elvis did not want to be in it so the project was dropped.

By the way, Paul is dead and Wings was fronted by a double.

(The foil hat itches)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 09:21 pm 18
In response to cmaukonen @ 17

Giants shape shifting flesh eating reptiles that are secretly the royal family. And cats.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 18, 2012 09:40 pm 19

What are anyone’s holiday plans? I am having Xmas Eve dinner out and people in for Hexmess/Saturnalia. If we make it through 12.21.12. But really the Europeans shouldn;t worry as it’s 21.12.12 there–they will be spared!

wynota skunk | Tuesday December 18, 2012 10:23 pm 20

” We must be careful about what we pretend to be. ” Kurt Vonnegut.

nixonclinbushbama | Wednesday December 19, 2012 12:34 am 21

After I posted on another board about the Mayan calendar, an ad urging me to “find Mayan calendar events” in my town.

I clicked on it and found eight events in my town, most of them tastings at liquor stores, for this Friday.

With everyone so busy for Christmas and so many Christmas events going on, I am not sure how many will attend the end of the world events.

Too bad the Mayan calendar did not end in a slower month of the Gregorian calendar.

seaglass | Wednesday December 19, 2012 05:39 am 22

I was in NYC Sat. afternoon and evening to see my daughter perform in an off broadway play and didn’t realize till I got there it was Santacon. Oh my God, I had no idea, the whole place was over flowing with drunken Santa s, slutty Reindeer s and obnoxiously smashed elves.
Oh and I just thought I mention that I’m making “Figgy Pudding” for Xmas dinner this yr. and were also having a cooked Goose this yr. to commemorate the on going Climate crisis.