Late Night: Lunar Bombs, Stinky TV, and Hobbit Profits

I feel dirty. I feel dirty because the United States government wanted to blow up the moon to prove to the Soviet Union what big bad asses we were. Flashback: The Cold War. We had bombs, they had bombs, but we (maybe) had a better space program, so the idea was, according to reports in the Daily Mail, to launch an atom bomb to the moon and have it detonate and scare the Ruskies. Carl Sagan was in on plan, innocuously called “A Study of Lunar Research Flights” and nicknamed “Project A119″¬† which could have been carried off by 1959. What a load of dumb asses. Were they high?! Luckily saner minds prevailed, citing

danger to people on Earth in case the mission failed. The scientists also registered concerns about contaminating the moon with radioactive material.

Um, duh.

Meanwhile the kid on Two and Half Men had a Come to Jesus Moment, literally, when the scales fell from his eyes, and he realized the show that has made him filthy rich is in fact

filth.

Oh the show sucks. But I kinda gotta wonder why he stuck around until he was 19. Expect the show to end. Thank you, Jesus.

And in other Hollywood news, J.R.R. Tolkien’s heirs are really upset because there are plans for a Lord of the Rings slot machine game, per the Hollywood Reporter. In 1969, the heirs made a deal with the Saul Zaentz Co. who later got Warner Bros involved which is why there is now a Lord of the Rings trilogy of films and a Hobbit movie. According to the suit:

Warners and the other defendants have “with increasing boldness, engaged in a continuing and escalating pattern of usurping rights to which they are not entitled,” the estate argues. For example, their rights include only “tangible” merchandise, not downloadable video games available only on mobile devices or tablets or Facebook. “Defendants also have asserted and continue to assert that they have rights relating to a wide variety of goods and services beyond ‘articles of tangible personal property’ and have registered trademarks and/or filed ‘intent to use’ applications in those same categories, including without limitation hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, ringtones, online/downloadable games and housing developments — categories of rights which plainly have not been granted to them.”

But wait, if you download the game onto your device, it is tangible personal property, isn’t it? And aren’t housing developments tangible? Wait what? HOBBIT HOUSING DEVELOPMENTS? Oh gods, no! Please make it stop!

And to bring it full circle:

18 Responses to "Late Night: Lunar Bombs, Stinky TV, and Hobbit Profits"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:09 pm 1

Happy Tuesday!

DrDick | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:10 pm 2

Lisa!

Hobbit housing and hotels? Maybe they should have blown up the moon and saved us from all of this.

Dearie | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:11 pm 3

As to Two & a Half Men: I’m gonna fess up that I found the writing to be amazing. I’d often find myself laughing and saying, “I can’t believe they are doing this in the family hour.” So, yeah, nice that the kid found Jesus at the Seventh Day Adventists, but he’s still collecting his $350,000/episode. Life’s such a joke.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:19 pm 4

The kid was Christian long before he hit the forerunner church

Dearie | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:28 pm 5

How interesting. Was he at all offended at the type of work he was doing in his earlier teens? And what is it that now made him speak ill of the program that has apparently made him wealthy? And did he, if you know him, ever feel that the show made his life from age 10 to 19 kind of dorky and stupid?

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:38 pm 6

I can sympathize with the Tolkiens about a lot of the merchandising, but on the other hand, if it weren’t for the deal with Zaentz we would probably never have gotten what turned out to be a fairly decent big-screen adaptaton of Lord of the Rings. I’ll have to just take the good and ignore the tacky.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:40 pm 7

He seems to have had an epiphany. His last contract, a 2 year one, signed in 2010, guaranteed him about 350k an episode. His conversion coincides with the nearend of the contract. He will be rich from residuals, which he should renounce. Though I am sure his church will be happy to help him forgive his sins. Angus was the highest paid child in the world.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:43 pm 8

Must be nice to have your cake and then bite the hand that feeds you.

Dearie | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:46 pm 9

But I like good writing…. funny, sassy. There are not a lot of shows that are consistently well-written. Friends, at least in the early years, was one. Two and a Half Men is still well written, and I rarely see it … the characters don’t interest me… but when I do run across it, I’m always surprised at the clever writing.

Or maybe I’m just easy.

Dearie | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:49 pm 10

I’m curious, Lisa, about what you find so despicable about Two&a Half? Racy, raunchy…. yep….but not surprising. And funny. I don’t have to be those people, but they are also not people I’ve never encountered.

solerso | Tuesday November 27, 2012 08:58 pm 11

“contaminating the moon wih radioactive material” would that be like contaminating the pacific ocean with salt?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 27, 2012 09:09 pm 12
In response to Dearie @ 10

My phone ate my reply–but basically the show isn’t as fun as when Sheen was on. And it’s a waste of Ashton Ks talent as well. I’ve watched most of the past seasons in reruns and tried to watch the new ones and they are just ehn

Dearie | Tuesday November 27, 2012 09:17 pm 13

Gotcha. Yeah, Charlie Sheen just oozed classy sleaze…. kind of reminded me of some of the performers I didn’t “get” as a kid in the 1950s. As for Ashton Kutcher’s ‘talent’…. well, I wouldn’t know. I do think they should have closed out the show with Charlie’s demise. I hope the dorky kid is planning to go to college. Can’t imagine he has a future in Hollywood, but, hey, I’ve been wrong before.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 27, 2012 09:43 pm 14

He’s gonna go be a 7th Day Adventist–right now. My lie Cyris is playing his love interest. The show runners should write him out

nixonclinbushbama | Tuesday November 27, 2012 11:53 pm 15

I am a little embarrassed that I know this, but this was supposed to be the last season of Two and a Half Men anyway, even though they claim Kutcher raised ratings.

Jon Cryer and Ashton Kutcher are asking for big bucks in order to do another season; and, so far, no one has said “sure.”

And the kid’s role had been greatly diminished anyway. Over the years, they’ve made his character increasingly stupid and, now, he’s been reduced to a Skype conversation and not in every episode, either. And even that was probably to have an excuse to keep him on the payroll.

Charlie Sheen’s character was supposedly his uncle. There’s barely a plausible reason for Kutcher to have Jon Cryer’s character in the house, let alone Cryer’s son. Besides, he’s no longer the cute 9 year old.

Kutcher character is known for his immaturity, so a 19 year old stupid kid is not going to add a lot to round out the cast. The fiction that a 13 year old had no clue what was going on around him in terms of sex and booze strained credulity enough.

It would have been extremely for him to send his lawyers to the producers and the network and ask that he be let out of his contract on the ground that he does not feel he can do his job well anymore.

Then again, he’s all of 19, and believes that he has just found the one true God, so I cannot be too hard on him.

Then again, now that TAAHM is in its last season, he could be just angling for his own show on religious TV.

nixonclinbushbama | Tuesday November 27, 2012 11:59 pm 16
In response to Dearie @ 5

Did the show make him dorky and stupid, or did they write to his acting strengths?

It’s hard to know.

Writers tend to do that and as a series gets longer and longer, it is sometimes harder and harder to distinguish between the character and the actor’s real life behavior.

nixonclinbushbama | Wednesday November 28, 2012 12:00 am 17

P.S. Didn’t sound like Einstein to me in that video he just made without the help of the TAAHM writers.

nixonclinbushbama | Wednesday November 28, 2012 12:38 am 18
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 6

It’s perfectly possible to pay a fair price for intellectual property and still produce a good film. Besides, what does that have to do with the game?

The claim is that use is exceeding contractual limits.