Late Night: Candidates Get Jiggy

The debates are tomorrow! (I’ll be at the opera, seeing Don Giovanni with the sublime milliner Satanica Batcakes sharing the balcony box with me. But I’m TiVoing them). Expect lots of goofy videos post-debates, but here are a few culled from the intertubes showing the huge affect elections have on pop culture including, of course, celebrity reminders to get out the vote.

Chuck Norris’ call to GOTV is especially interesting because he is making a direct reference to the Dark Ages, and calling for conservative Christians to vote in order to prevent

a thousand years of darkness.

the during the so-called “Dark Ages,” lasting from the Fall of Rome usually given as 476 and depending on your historical bent and knowledge, lasting through to 1000 or to the 14th Century. But how dark were they? Well dark because we don’t have that much knowledge about them. Christianity was expanding.  And of course it was the age of Muslim expansion as well. So wait, is Chuck Norris claiming that if Christians don’t vote, Christianity will expand? Or that Islam will expand? Or that we will have “darkness” because the internets will crash and thus all of future generations’ knowledge about LOLcats will be destroyed much like  the dark ages are considered dark because we don’t have a lot of information about them?

Just vote, okay?

16 Responses to "Late Night: Candidates Get Jiggy"
DrDick | Tuesday October 2, 2012 08:07 pm 1

Lisa!

Chuck Norris wants to bring back the Dark Ages. conservatives love them some superstition, blighted lives, and ignorance.

(BTW, it was only Dark in Europe. From the 700s on, Islamic civilization thrived in the Middle East and North Africa, while India and China remained vibrant and innovative centers of culture, commerce, and power.)

Petrocelli | Tuesday October 2, 2012 08:25 pm 2

Lisa !

“A thousand years of darkness” … sounds like a fitting description of life as Chuck Norris.

DrDick | Tuesday October 2, 2012 08:33 pm 3
In response to Petrocelli @ 2

Chuck Norris is 1000 years of darkness.

Petrocelli | Tuesday October 2, 2012 08:44 pm 4

The Hair on his Head is as real as Rmoney’s economic plan …

How’re you doing, Sir ?

DrDick | Tuesday October 2, 2012 08:53 pm 5
In response to Petrocelli @ 4

I am well, if a bit harried these days. Fall has finally fallen here in the northern Rockies and the smoke seems to have been driven out, which is a great relief.

DrDick | Tuesday October 2, 2012 08:57 pm 6

Think I will toddle off. Take care all.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 2, 2012 09:08 pm 7

Hey hey!

4cdave | Tuesday October 2, 2012 09:52 pm 8

1000 years of darkness started in 1980.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 2, 2012 09:53 pm 9

a thousand years of darkness.

How can even a Fundy think voting for a Mormon and a Catholic is better than voting for a fellow Protestant. Why can’t Chuck just admit Obama being black is his whole reason for disliking him.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 2, 2012 09:58 pm 10

I agree I thought guys like Chuck wanted a Theological Church State but I am sure by Dark Ages Chuck means a Black dominated age.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 2, 2012 10:00 pm 11

Just what is Chuck’s deal has he always been this crazy or did he get religion after being dropped on his head.

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday October 2, 2012 10:05 pm 12

who is chuck norris

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 2, 2012 10:12 pm 13
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 12

A b list movie actor who did a few martial arts films back in the day but now is a Right Wing loon.

mzchief | Tuesday October 2, 2012 10:40 pm 14

{*gasp* *wheez*} ROFLM@O. Lisa, U score!

HotFlash | Tuesday October 2, 2012 10:56 pm 15

The opera? Woo, well, my dear, party like a madam! Completely enjoyed the clip, although that Don Gio was not a patch on Brett Poligato’s at the Cdn Opera Co a couple a’ yrs back. In leather pants. Swoon! And the director-lady was quite sure that Donna Anna had indeed done the deed w/Don Gio (consensual), despite her protestations to the contrary. To me, made a much more sense and provided a creditable dynamic WRT her hunting him down, not to mention dragging her hapless/clueless fiancé into it. In that production, the dead Commendatore scene was a hoax by Donna A and Don Ottavio, but nicely done.

And as for Chuck? Well, I totally *lurves* me some Chuckie, my psnl fav is Invasion USA (it has an armadillo in it and an ‘I Love Lucy’ clip (who cannot love it for those alone?), with Firewalker a close second. However, I would totally not ask his advice for voting. And if his advice somehow descended on me, I would ignore it.

Anyway, great singing and the Commendatore was totally believable. As a dead guy. Don Gio and Leporello could use some better direction for camera, they are still acting as for stage and it does not translate. Like acting in all caps. Although they would be totally believable as dead guys.

If you want a quality Don Gio, I recommend the Rhombus/COC version on VHS/DVD, assuming you don’t have a live Don Gio in your hood. The prices they list is breath-taking, but there is always preview, and you can browbeat your local theater to screen it. Or buy it and show it in your living room. But hey, its Mozart, guys!

HotFlash | Tuesday October 2, 2012 11:20 pm 16

And if’n the rest of youse should get jiggy, I recommend this to dance off your excess energy.