Late Night: Elephants on Parade

Tampa! Guess what? The RNC seated the delegates from Puerto Rico, U.S. Samoa and Guam up front to show the diversity of the GOP.  However, residents of those territories can’t vote in the Presidential election. According to the reports on MSNBC, delegations which have minorities will be seated in camera lines. But I’ve been watching Fox News and the convention looks pretty homogeneously white.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday the Log Cabin Republicans and Young Conservatives for Freedom to Marry are running a full page ad in the Tampa Tribune:

The ad, which features photos of LGBT couples and families, quotes Perkins’s platform language, which reads in part, “The institution of marriage is the foundation of civil society. Its success as an institution will determine our success as a nation.”

“We agree,” the ad continues. “That’s why Log Cabin Republicans and Young Conservatives for the Freedom to Marry believe that government should stop denying marriage licenses to committed gay and lesbian couples.”

The ad closes by emphasizing the “core ideals and principles” of the Republican party, “less government, more individual freedom, personal responsibility and the importance of the family.”

53 Responses to "Late Night: Elephants on Parade"
DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:05 pm 1

Lisa!

Well, Fox obviously knows its viewership and its preferences. Also, why are you inflicting that on yourself? It is bad enough to watch the Gooper circle jerk, but watching Fox on top of it?! *shudder*

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:07 pm 2

Meanwhile, bitter ex Log Cabin member and founder of GOProud, Chris Barron, is excusing the platform and hurling dung bombs at his erstwhile compatriots. This is either hilarious or pathetic and sad.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:08 pm 3
In response to Margaret @ 2

I think we are looking at the definition of a masochist there.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:09 pm 4

Meanwhile, this is what happens when you embrace the tea party crowd:

Talking Points Memo reported that a man threw nuts at a black CNN camerawoman while saying, “This is how we feed animals.”

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:10 pm 5
In response to Margaret @ 4

No racism there, nosirree! This is the Party of Lincoln ™.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:12 pm 6

I think we could probably define “idiot” with Chris Barron too.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:13 pm 7

They sure seem bent on solely being the white peoples’ racists’ party and damned proud of it.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:15 pm 8
In response to Margaret @ 6

True. I cannot even imagine being a gay Republican these days. Maybe up through Bush I, before the whole culture wars took over the party narrative, but today? That requires a degree of no self respect that I cannot even fathom.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:17 pm 9
In response to Margaret @ 4

Reminds me for some reason of one of my fave Hawkeye Pierce lines: “Frank, I wish they’d tear you down and put up a human being.”

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:18 pm 10
In response to Margaret @ 7

Yeah, they seem to have thrown away the dog whistles for air raid sirens. I guess Mittens figures that is all he has going for him, since otherwise he is about as attractive as a rotting mudcat.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:19 pm 11

I heard an interview with Newt Gingrich on NPR in the early nineties. Scared the shit out of me thinking the Republicans might embrace that sort of ideology. Now it’s ten times worse than the very worst thing the Newtster said back then.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:21 pm 12
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Certainly appropos.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:24 pm 13
In response to Margaret @ 11

Contrary to popular opinion, today’s Republicans have not sold their souls to the devil. Lucifer has too much class to take a deal like that.

Twain | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:24 pm 14
In response to Margaret @ 7

They are proud of it. “I’m white and you’re not” is the only thing they have going for them.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:26 pm 15
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 13

Well he is certainly not going to give them something for nothing.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:26 pm 16
In response to Twain @ 14

Notwithstanding Herman Cain, whose message seems to be “I may as well be white and you’re not.”

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:27 pm 17
In response to Twain @ 14

No, they are angry, bitter, scared white people who see the world slipping out of their control.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:27 pm 18
In response to Twain @ 14

Yep. Who can be the whitest and the biggest asshole. Hence Willard Rmoney.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:29 pm 19
In response to Margaret @ 18

He is certainly the whitest dude in any room, but I think Ryan is actually a bigger asshole (even if he does not have as big a sense of entitlement).

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:30 pm 20

Then, again, they have the whole enchilada in team Willard.

Margaret | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:30 pm 21
In response to Margaret @ 20

MUCH lamer than team McLame imo. I really can’t wait for the Ryan/Biden debate.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:30 pm 22

If Ryan lacks Rmoney’s sense of entitlement, I think it’s only because he isn’t worth as much moolah to start with.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:32 pm 23
In response to Margaret @ 20

Indeed. A perfect division of labor.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:33 pm 24
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 22

Yeah. He was just a big fish in a fairly small pond, while the Rmoneys are national players.

marcospinelli | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:34 pm 25
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 22

Ryan is worth millions, thanks to his wife.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:34 pm 26

Just seems to me like this convention just can’t get past doing the primary lingo. Look at Santorum’s speech for just one example.

I’m just not seeing General Election themes building as yet.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:36 pm 27
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 26

I have kind of enjoyed the Paulista hissy fit. Fuckers tried to game the system in the primaries and going into the convention and the system gamed them right back. Had me LMAO.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:38 pm 28
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 26

And you may never. All the Thugs seem to have to work with are racism and silly charges of “socialism.”

marymccurnin | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:39 pm 29

I am so glad I am a human being and not a republic.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:40 pm 30

Apropos of nothing: my greatest nightmare is that Weird Al Yankovic will do a cover of Enya.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:40 pm 31
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 26

Also, I think that they realize that this is fundamentally a base election (which is what the political scientists and pollsters are saying). There is only a tiny sliver of “undecided voters” (a misnomer if ever there was one) out there. The team that can motivate their side to get out and vote is going to win this. The good news is that, as you have said, the Republican alliance seems to be fraying at the edges.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:41 pm 32
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 28

Speaking as an actual socialist, I only wish that half of their charges were one quarter true.

marcospinelli | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:42 pm 33

In Ann Romney’s speech tonight, she mentioned two programs that her husband instituted as governor that she’s proud of:

ANN ROMNEY: Under Mitt, Massachusetts’ school for the best in the nation. The best. (APPLAUSE) He started something that I really love. He started the John and Abigail Adams scholarship which gives the top 25 percent of high- school graduates a four-year tuition-free scholarship.

This is a federal government program.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:44 pm 34
In response to marcospinelli @ 33

The Romneys are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

marcospinelli | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:46 pm 35
In response to marcospinelli @ 33

this is a federal government program.

federal state government program.

Dearie | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:47 pm 36
In response to marcospinelli @ 35

I’m confused. So Romney deserves some credit…..or not?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:47 pm 37

So, I can’t bear to listen to the R liebesmahl, even with Rachel to relieve the neuronal constipation.

How did Marie Anne-toinette do tonight?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:50 pm 38
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 13

You’ve got to have a soul to sell before Mephistopheles can make a purchase.

Kind of like the Weird Al does Enya suggestion: there has to be something to parody before Al can do a parody.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:50 pm 39
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 37

I don’t think I even want to know. You know you are in trouble when she is the one who is supposed to “humanize” you.

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:51 pm 40

don’t know about fraying— maybe after the election, but right now, i think absolute to-the-bone hatred of Obama will keep them together; i think the Ds have the problem– alot of lefties not as excited as 4 years ago— maybe the more they see of Willard, the more excited they’ll get

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:52 pm 41

If the Romneybot 5000 hasn’t been “humanized” by now, I doubt he ever will be.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:52 pm 42

I wonder if she’s hoping Mittens remembers her secret name…

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:55 pm 43
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 40

The hard lefties seem to view the choice as between a slow decline into plutocratic oligarchy under Obama or a jump off the cliff into plutocratic oligarchy under Rmoney.

With Obama saying stuff like he’s ready to make Alice Rivlin’s Grand Bargain if re-elected I can’t argue they’re wrong.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:55 pm 44
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 42

“Trampolina?”

Dearie | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:56 pm 45
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 40

or frantic.

I well remember thinking “it’s Al Gore’s election to lose.” And then he just ran out and did it! The ‘stalking’ of Bush in that debate and Gore’s other hapless debates made it seem inevitable. And apparently it gave juice to the thieves on the right. I didn’t ‘get’ that Al Gore really wanted to win anyway.

We’ll see how Obama steps up/or hangs back.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:56 pm 46
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 42

Which is “Groosfaba”

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:57 pm 47
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 43

True. My feeling on this is that it may still be possible to reverse the slow decline, but leaping off the precipice is pretty much forever.

marcospinelli | Tuesday August 28, 2012 08:57 pm 48
In response to Dearie @ 36

It’s actually both federal and state. And “credit” for hypocrisy, if we’re talking about the Republican distaste for government.

The states which are doing well in this recession Depression are doing well because of government money – States that got stimulus money, military bases, etc.

DrDick | Tuesday August 28, 2012 09:01 pm 49

Time for me to toddle off. Have my graduate theory seminar tomorrow and need to be at least marginally cogent. Survived my first day of actual classes, no thanks to the registrar’s office.

Dearie | Tuesday August 28, 2012 09:01 pm 50
In response to marcospinelli @ 48

I know. Listening to vaginalprober McDonnel bliss on about the employment numbers in Virginia made me gag. Cut the damned military and wasteful govt programs and watch Virginia employment numbers drop like a lead weight!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday August 28, 2012 09:03 pm 51

Those are pretty much my feeling as well.

I was talking with a colleague today about retirement — we both pretty much feel like if Mittens is elected, our joke about working until they pry the chalk from our hand is no longer a joke.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday August 28, 2012 09:29 pm 52
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 51

Oh, so true.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday August 28, 2012 09:33 pm 53

BTW and I should wait until LLN, but our new atrium at the Cleveland Museum of Art that opened today.