Late Night: Psychedelic Pop and Rock Lobsters

The East Coast has too many lobsters, and a more of it them it seems lot of them, while alive, are not the usual brownish green, but rather psychedelic colors like lavender, blue, orange, yellow, white, pink, purple, mottled like a calico cat, and best of all, split, with one color down each half.

There’s a few theories as to why some many more of the morphs are showing up in greater quantities, and none of them have to do with nuclear reactors, MK ULTRA, space aliens, the Illuminati, or George Soros (but you’re welcome to come up with reasons that would work for all of those. And please do share them with us!):

Groovy colored lobsters and other crustaceans have been noted over the ages, just nowadays there seem to be (or are) lots more. Executive director of The Lobster Conservancy in Maine Diane Cowan suggests that in the past oddly colored, easy-to-spot lobsters got picked off by natural predators more quickly. Evolution ya, know. She adds

But with the predator population down, notably cod, there might be greater survival rates among these color morphs that are visually easier to pick out.

That kinda explains the large lobster load this summer, too. And why are natural predators down? Because we already ate a hefty chunk of “ocean kittens” as they should be called by PETA to discourage fish-eating.

Or maybe we are just more aware of of the beyond-Dali lobsters because we’re taking more pictures.

(and yes I am aware these are not technically “rock lobsters” which are the Pacific species and have no claws; they are just all tail)

(photo: Wikipedia via Creative Commons)

14 Responses to "Late Night: Psychedelic Pop and Rock Lobsters"
DrDick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:05 pm 1

Lisa!

Add a little Captain Beefheart and you could have Surf & Turf!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:14 pm 2

I admit it, I LOVE lobster. The best lobster dish I’ve had–aside from the perfectly grilled lobster at the eponymous Santa Monica restaurant (opened in 1923) was a lobster club sandwich (lobster, butter lettuce, heirloom tomato, thick cut artisan bacon and garlic aoli on a brioche). The lobster roll at The Blount Clam Shack in Providence Rhode Island I scarfed during Netroots Nations was pretty damn good, too.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:14 pm 3

LOL Dr. Dick!

DrDick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:17 pm 4

I like lobster, but do not eat much of it here in the northern Rockies. I did have a locally raised thick cut pork chop grilled with braised local fennel and local heirloom carrots and local fingerling potatoes roasted on the grill for dinner tonight.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:26 pm 5

I do love fennel, carrots and fingerlings. I don’t know if I could eat a whole pork chop–I do my pork smoked/cured or in dim sum. SO that leaves all of it for you! Enjoy!

DrDick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:30 pm 6

I am a Southern boy and I loves me some pork. We also have great local lamb (when you can get it), beef, bison, and Hutterite natural raised poultry (chickens, ducks, and turkeys). This time of year especially, this place can be a locavore’s delight, though it can be a bit pricy.

DrDick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:40 pm 7

Think I will call it an early night and toddle off. Take care.

rjrnab | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:50 pm 8

Ocean Acidification is coming soon to an ecosystem near you. See latest NOAA videos. Our crustacean friends shells will not be as strong anymore, preventing coral reefs from forming etc

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 08:50 pm 9

{{{lamb}}}}} And beef, bison, duck (duck eggs make great flan!)-uber yum!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 24, 2012 09:04 pm 10
In response to rjrnab @ 8

this makes me so sad, beyond. Our little sister the world–we are destroyin her.

rjrnab | Tuesday July 24, 2012 09:45 pm 11

Oui, Oui, while Iran can’t have nukes, Israel can have 100 (if there any good anymore)! It’s our pre-ordained Monroe Doctrine Destiny, we
loves our gunz and nukes. Our nukes have gone so far west they’ll have to evacuate Japan! Bring the UN back to Frisco, out of the silly bankers hands:(

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 24, 2012 09:49 pm 12

I first saw blue and white lobsters in Santiago de Compostella! They were in a tank in a restaurant window, and my group had to drag me away from the window.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 24, 2012 09:52 pm 13

And I had my first lobster roll in Eastport, ME a few summers ago. My, my, what a revelation!

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 24, 2012 09:59 pm 14

Has anyone read the book, The Secret Life of Lobsters?