Late Night: Let’s Spend the Night Together

Years ago I read The. Best. Trash. Novel. Ever: Angel Dust, by Lindsay Maracotta who went on to pen a heap of chick-lit mysteries centering around Hollywood and has always been an idol of mine. The tagline to Angel Dust was awesome:

Their dreams were as fleeting and shifting as ANGEL DUST

The book, published in 1976 or so–I found it on a grocery story rack and begged my mom for it–was a roman-à-clef about rock n roll, with a Linda Eastman-esque character as the protagonist. It was full of lurid exposés about the Beatles break-up, Jimi Hendrix, the Stones, drug use, and was loaded with sex, including an encounter between an obvious Mick Jagger type and a beautiful thin glitter rocker, which so freaked out the Jagger character’s girl friend that she jumped out a window and went running through the woods. (Or she died, I forget since it’s been a few decades since I read it, though I recently scored a copy online and look forward to diving into it once I’m done with two tomes on neuroscience and some Ross MacDonald mysteries).

Despite the poor copy-editing (“Tanaka,” the Yoko One character’s name changes mid-page to Mona!), the book was a bible to me. So this is rock and roll, I thought (Later I read that Maracotta had worked briefly for John Lennon, so this bible did have some truth to it.)

Now a new book, Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger has substantiated the long circulating rumors about about Bowie and Jagger, and it’s important to realize the scope of human sexuality.

When Bowie and Elton John came out as bisexual it was a really big deal. Elton has firmly cemented his orientation, while Bowie’s sexuality remains more fluid.

Kids need role models, not just celebrities, but librarians, mechanics, everyday people who live life. In an ideal world, sexuality should be unremarkable. But because there are still nasty, hateful people, bent on foisting their repressive, hurtful, unjustified views. Jesus never mentioned homosexuality yea or may, and he completely overruled the Old Testament, thus allowing Christians to get tattooed, wear blended fabrics–the tragic side effect being the leisure suit–and eat bacon).

107 Responses to "Late Night: Let’s Spend the Night Together"
BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:03 pm 1

Hola, perros del fuego!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:08 pm 2

¡Hola! ¿Como esta usted?

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:10 pm 3

Zhe shi Meiguo. Women yao shuo Zhongguo-hua.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:11 pm 4

Hace mucho calor aqui en Ohio, Lisa.

Otherwise, things are good here near the Ohio River.

Alex Gordon | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:14 pm 5

Bowie had it relatively easy. When Elton came out in a drunken interview with Rolling Stone, it set back his popularity quite a bit. When he said to paraphrase, “we all should be freer about sex, we should draw the line at goats,” the American public wasn’t happy. Luckily he passed that low period in his career and is now an musical icon.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:14 pm 6

upposedly we’re getting thunderstorms here, which could be a drag since the morning glories have crawled into the rain gutters

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:16 pm 7
In response to Alex Gordon @ 5

Elton came out pre-Bowie, if I recall?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:16 pm 8
In response to Alex Gordon @ 5

Bowie never had quite the mainstream pop following that Elton had at the time. I believe that made it a lot more difficult for him.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:17 pm 9

Good news, everyone! Today a received an offer of a lecturer position in the English as a Second Language Programs at the University of Iowa. The pay could be better (much more than I’ve been making, but the expenses are going to expand to match the income), but I’m in a city I like and don’t have to relocate, and I’ll be doing something I respect instead of some corporate slave-to the-Man position. I still have to pass a criminal background and driving record check, but I’m completely clean on both, so that’s no problem.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:17 pm 10

Ummm, sounds like tomorrow might be a good day to get on the roof with a trimmer.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:17 pm 11

Lisa!

Human sexuality is not strongly directed overall, though individually we may have definite preferences. My students always get a little wide-eyed during the sexuality lecture in my intro class.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:18 pm 12
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Congratulations.

Driving record check? Really? Do they think you’re going to be teaching English while driving a bus, or holding class in your car or something?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:19 pm 13
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 10

What is this trimmer on the roof of which you speak?

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:20 pm 14
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Awesome! Welcome to the brotherhood. I have been a lecturer here for several years now (after a long stint as an adjunct asst. prof.). It isn’t bad, pretty much being a professor without the research requirements and a higher teaching load.

Twain | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:20 pm 15
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Congratulations! That’s great news, Doctor. Do you begin in September?

Alex Gordon | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:21 pm 16

Bowie came out to Melody Maker in ’72. Elton came out to Rolling Stone in ’76.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:22 pm 17
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Wow, sounds very cool! Congrats!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:23 pm 18

How much curriculum development/definition work do you have as a lecturer?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:24 pm 19

Experience has taught me (in another environment) that leaves in the gutter qualifies as a bad.idea. My guess is that living vines like morning glories are at least as bad an idea as leaves. Your mileage may vary, of course.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:27 pm 20
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 18

Not sure what exactly you are referring to there. I develop my own classes, including some new ones, and have a pretty much equal say in setting departmental curriculum (though that is rather unusual and the other lecturer doesn’t really participate in that part very much, though he could).

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:27 pm 21
In response to Alex Gordon @ 16

That was at the start of Bowie’s career, and at one of Elton’s peaks. Also RS being American, this had a wider impact in uptight USofA

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:28 pm 22
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 19

Can lead to leaking roofs and soggy ceilings or walls.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:29 pm 23
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 19

Mmm, sounds like a job for my very well paid yard dude. I fall over easily on ladders. Seriously.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:30 pm 24

As I recall (and I was in college when Elton hit it big in the US), there was a widespread sense that he was gay long before he came out. Same with Bowie.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:33 pm 25
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 12

Sorry for the delay, I had some technical difficulties and needed to reboot.

The driving record check is because the department sometimes organizes outings for the intensive English students (ball games, picnics, and so on), and I may be expected to drive. I’m a little nervous about that because the 15-passenger employee carpool vans they use are about three times the size of anything I’ve ever driven, but if that’s my biggest worry about the job I figure I’m doing okay.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:33 pm 26

I was wondering because we are looking carefully at our undergrad intro courses. We have a regularized, non-tenure-track faculty member and two adjuncts who teach the course along with me (and sometimes one other) tenured faculty member.

Our policy manual says that my tenured colleagues and I should be doing all the heavy lifting on this. My inclination is to involve the people who are teaching the bulk of the SCH for this class. I think it’s easier to get buy-in if they’re involved in the conversation.

Of course, one big difference between our system and yours is that we have a blanket ban on non-tenure track people being on the graduate faculty (and hence, teaching grad courses and supervising research students.)

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:34 pm 27

Thanks. Yeah, I figure I may do better here than in a job with a research component anyway. I always did enjoy the teaching angle more than the demands of publish or perish.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:35 pm 28

Yes definitely. And it was a many of my friends, very liberating to have public figures say what they were feeling.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:35 pm 29
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 25

That is not too bad. I drove a big box truck when I was in college and as long as you pay attention and take it easy, especially when backing up, it is not that much different than a car.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:36 pm 30
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 25

That makes sense. If it happens that you’re going to be given the keys, tell the boss you need some practice before hand. Driving something that size isn’t really that difficult, but it’s much better to understand the handling characteristics before you put passengers on board.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:36 pm 31
In response to Twain @ 15

Thanks. My contract officially starts with the fall semester on August 20, but there will be some orientation starting August 1, and I will be participating in pre-semester placement testing of the incoming students (something I’ve done before a couple of times). I’ll get a couple thousand extra for the pre-contract work–call it a starting bonus.

Alex Gordon | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:37 pm 32

I completely agree with you, Lisa. Fun quotes to follow:

“David Bowie made headlines by coming out in a 1972 interview with British music magazine Melody Maker. “I’m gay and always have been,” he said. “Even when I was David Jones.” His proclamation didn’t exactly hurt sales for The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars that year.” – RS Mag

In a 1976 Rolling Stone cover story, Elton John told writer Cliff Jahr that he was bisexual. “There’s nothing wrong with going to bed with somebody of your own sex,” John said. “I think everybody’s bisexual to a certain degree . . . I mean, who cares! I just think people should be very free with sex – they should draw the line at goats.” The immediate impact on his career is difficult to gauge, since John’s album sales had already begun slipping the previous year with the release of Rock of the Westies. But the news shocked many fans, believe it or not.”

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:38 pm 33
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 30

Good idea. I don’t own a car, but GoodMrsPuma insisted that I take a couple of refresher lessons this summer to make sure I was comfortable behind the wheel.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:38 pm 34

It matters less who does it than that it gets done. If you’re renting, the landlord might ought to take care of that.

What Dr. D. said is exactly right about what happens if you ignore that sort of thing.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:38 pm 35

That’s good to hear. I figured backing up and maybe right turns would be the biggest differences.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:41 pm 36

Thanks! I feel very fortunate to have landed the job, considering how bad things are for so many people. GoodMrsPuma and I plan to give some money to charity by way of thanks for the good fortune.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:43 pm 37
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 35

Backing a big passenger van isn’t as bad as backing a big box truck, because the visibility is a lot better in the van. Right turns are about the same, just remember there’s a bunch of stuff behind you.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:43 pm 38
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 26

That is really more typical in many ways than what we have here. Part of the thing here is that we did not have a lot of non-tenure track faculty in most departments until fairly recently and most of those we did have were research rather than teaching faculty. The one exception was in modern languages, English, and math, where they had a lot of grad students as adjuncts teaching most of the intro classes. In consequence the university policy allows any great latitude to the departments in this regard. I have an unusually good situation here compared to what I have seen elsewhere.

AppleCanyon2 | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:44 pm 39
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Congratulations!
We talked earlier when I told you my daughter graduated from Iowa State with Masters in Counseling and works at Kirkwood Community College.
Good to hear about your good fortune especially staying in a town and University that you really like.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:46 pm 40
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 37

Hopefully the stuff behind me will remember to speak English if it needs to remind me. ;-)

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:47 pm 41

Thanks! Hope your daughter is doing well, by the way.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:47 pm 42
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 35

Backing up is the hardest, because you have a substantial blind spot back there (even in a van). They also tend to have a somewhat wider turn radius than a car, though that varies by the vehicle. Always a good idea, as BCT suggests, to take a practice run with any vehicle you are not familiar with before taking it on the road.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:48 pm 43
In response to Alex Gordon @ 32

Bowie’s quote emphasizes what a gay scholar once said to me: That gay men are gay, end of story. His proof was Craig’s list, Grindr, etc–you’ll see lots of married/straight identified men looking for MMS, but where are the ads from gay-identified men looking for sex with women. I do know men who fluctuate and flow, but they admit to preferring men as partners over 50% of the time.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:49 pm 44

In other news, I have switched from ice cream to chocolate sorbet.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:51 pm 45

From your descriptions it sounds like you’re being treated as a de facto tenure(d) professor. Which is as it should be, IMO.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:52 pm 46

People vary a lot and the available evidence suggests that only a minority are “exclusively” gay or straight, with somewhat more of the latter. We develop preferences, which I like to compare to food preferences, based on a variety of biological, psychological, cultural, and other factors and these vary from one to another and may vary over time.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:53 pm 47
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 45

That’s been the impression he’s always given me. Good deal if you can get it.

Alex Gordon | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:54 pm 48

Here is the rest of the quote.

“But he went on to voice regret over his famous statement in a 1983 interview with Rolling Stone. “The biggest mistake I ever made was telling that Melody Maker writer that I was bisexual,” he said. “Christ, I was so young then. I was experimenting.”

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:55 pm 49
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 45

Thanks for the compliment, which is valuable since you have seen what I produce. Your assessment is pretty much the case and I am quite delighted to be in the situation I am. Even the dean has noticed.

AppleCanyon2 | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:58 pm 50
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 41

Doing fine and loves where she is at with Kirkwood.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:58 pm 51
In response to Alex Gordon @ 48

For over a decade.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 08:59 pm 52

If her work is typical of your students, you ought to be converted from whatever your status is to tenured professor.

That is a first-class piece of very relevant work in medical/cultural anthro. I’ve been on a few anthro grad committees in my day, and most of the work is (forgive me) yawn-inducing.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:00 pm 53
In response to AppleCanyon2 @ 50

Good to hear.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:01 pm 54
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 52

My other Ph.D. has a post doc at Northwestern University and did an excellent (though possibly yawn inducing) dissertation on religion and identity in the Chicago Indian community, which is also the only study of its kind (looking at religion and ethnic identity in an urban Indian community).

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:03 pm 55
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 52

Musta been the PoMos.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:05 pm 56
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 55

No, those are gag inducing.

Alex Gordon | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:05 pm 57

That interview was at the same time he released his most mainstream hit album Let’s Dance. It’s always hard to trust interviewees intent on changing their image.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:07 pm 58

Good point.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:08 pm 59

Sorbet time!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:09 pm 60

Reading through tables of pottery composition, and inferring therefrom something of the travels and intercultural cross-currents isn’t all that interesting to me. I respect the work involved, but it seems to me that design elements are more convincing than technological elements.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:10 pm 61
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 55

They know better than to invite me to a PoMo affirmation party.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:13 pm 62
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 55

Just like my colleagues in the music department know better than to invite me to a final oral for a student who is really hot on Schenkerean analysis. It’s a tool, okay. But it isn’t that good a tool.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:15 pm 63

Dunno why you’re switching to sorbet, but Mrs Dr CT and I acquired a Yonana machine recently. So far, the thing has the mouthfeel of a good ice cream down, but there is a distinct banana flavor. Perhaps our bananas haven’t been sufficiently ripe… we’re working on it.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:15 pm 64
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 60

I tend to agree. Technological elements can be duplicated independently–in fact, that’s my big gripe with the recent work that tries to suggest that similar lithic technologies on both sides of the Atlantic suggest a late-Paleolithic European arrival in North America. I made a point of checking with a lithic specialist after reading a couple of articles, and he pretty much confirmed that there is only one way to produce a large bifacial point. That means that the large bifaces found on either side of the Atlantic could have evolved independently.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:18 pm 65
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 60

Ouch. Artifact analysis in archaeology is truly painful (though I see why they asked you to be on the committee as a statistician). I have been on several archaeology committees here, which have not been too bad, but the ones like you describe really do make my eyes glaze over.

I have three more Ph.D. students in the pipeline, two of which may graduate next spring. One is looking at the political economy of health on the Flathead Reservation in the Early Reservation Period (1885-1930). Another is looking at ethnogenesis and identity formation among the Landless Indians of Montana in the early 20th century. The third, who is not quite as far along, will be looking at factors promoting increased ethnic competition and conflict in Post Soviet Georgia (she is an ethnic Armenian Georgian). I also have a very promising MA student who will be finishing next spring, though she is still deciding on a thesis topic. I think I will probably encourage her to apply for the Ph.D. program when she finishes.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:19 pm 66

Well, I think I’m heading off to examine the interior of my eyelids.

Good night, folks.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:21 pm 67

Here’s one for anyone who ever had to sit on a PoMo dissertation committee.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:21 pm 68
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 64

Lithics in particular have a very limited range of possibilities and do not lend themselves well to that kind of analysis. Ceramics are a bit better, but technical aspects are still problematic as diagnostic of much of anything.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:22 pm 69
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 66

Sleep well and enjoy the company of Mrs. BCT.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:23 pm 70
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 66

Night. Hope your eyelids have a good movie playing.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:23 pm 71
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 67

OK, this has been quite interesting for a doctor from another persuasion, but what, please is PoMo?

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:24 pm 72
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 67

Fortunately, we do not have many of those (almost none in fact) and as a Marxist, they tend to avoid me like the plague.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:25 pm 73

Gonna wander off to bed too. Peace out, y’all!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:26 pm 74
In response to Dearie @ 71

Postmodernism, the academic equivalent of planned obsolescence.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:27 pm 75
In response to Dearie @ 71

Postmodernist. They are the bane of all of us who believe in empirical reality, that people respond to het material conditions of life, and appreciate comprehensible English.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:27 pm 76
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 73

Sleep well.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:28 pm 77
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 74

Oh, THAT! Gotta laugh. I’ve attended some political theory conferences with my Dr. daughter …. and I find postmodernism to be, well, how shall I say?, embarrassing. But, gee, that’s just me.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:30 pm 78
In response to Dearie @ 77

Kinda like how I felt about ebonics…….say, wha???

But, hey, I’m old and over educated.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:31 pm 79
In response to Dearie @ 77

Heh! No, that’s just us. A mystery to me, humble librarian.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:32 pm 80
In response to Dearie @ 77

Not just you. In fairness, some of them (very few) have a few (very few) important insights which bear paying attention to (which I do). I like some of Foucault, though far from all, and generally like Edward Said. Much of it, however, is little more than self-indulgent intellectual masturbation.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:33 pm 81
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 79

I finally asked my daughter to never mention postmodernism to me again….and ebonics, too. Neither made a bit of sense to me and I did not want to encourage discussions of either…or acceptance.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:35 pm 82

Headsup if you have DirecTV–no Comedy Central MTV, VH-1 or Nickelodeon for you–$ dispute.

Affected channels are: Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, TV Land, Comedy Central, Spike, Nick@Nite, Nick Jr., TeenNick, NickToons, VH1 Classic, Logo, Tr3s, Centric and Palladia.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:35 pm 83
In response to Dearie @ 81

You are the fab. I’m with you. And I live in the land of art history.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:36 pm 84

Hi Lisa! Sorry for my bad.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:36 pm 85
In response to Dearie @ 78

Just as a point of reference (in case I need an expert opinion), what is your doctorate in? I like to describe myself as an over educated hillbilly.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:37 pm 86

I went to one political theory convention at Berkeley where I almost laughed myself silly. One of the old broads drew some disdain from the young ‘thinkers’ for referring to postmod as ‘the French thinking’ …. but it was fun. My daughter is moving on to some really interesting thinking. But every time she does postmodernism on me, I just say, “Sweetie, ……….”

eCAHNomics | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:37 pm 87

Joining conversation late, so will lurk awhile until I can latch onto something I resonate with.

Meanwhile, good evening everyone.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:38 pm 88
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 83

OMG! That is the homeland of Postmodernism (along with literary criticism)!

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:39 pm 89

Intro! i guess the idea is to capture their attention getting them wide-eyed from the start can’t hurt

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:40 pm 90
In response to Dearie @ 81

Hey sister.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:41 pm 91
In response to Dearie @ 86

As I say, there is some good stuff and a somewhat larger body of interesting stuff there, but overall a bit off the wall. I draw the ire of my more orthodox Marxist colleague for my willingness to read a pay attention to some of it.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:41 pm 92
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 63

My local gelateria makes exquisite sorbetto, fewer calories and such clean flavors, though the gelato is swoon inducingly good too.. I think it’s time for me to bring out my ice cream maker and give making flavors myself a whirl. I would like to try using some of the herbs from my garden in different mixes.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:43 pm 93

I am an atty with a Juris Doctorate. Feels silly to even say that, but I sure as hell earned it. The California Bar Exam is heinous!

I got an MSW from University of Cincinnati at 40 and did work as a juvenile probation officer for a small semi=rural court with many west Appalachian kids and families. Wonderful and fulfilling joy.

Came home to California at 50 and went to night law school for 4 years while working full time. My claim to fame is passing the friggin’ bar exam the first time out……while 50 of the 100 Harvard law grads who took it when I did were FAILS. I’m sure they passed it the second or third time, but I thank whatever grace I’ve ever garnered that I never have to take that exam again!

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:43 pm 94

speaking of education—– purdue just made scumbag ex guv, mitch daniels it’s president hope they do a U VA there and get the scumbag (did i already say that—- yes-sorry) i mean asshole canned

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:43 pm 95
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 89

Unfortunately, that comes near the end of the course. I do, however, have a knack for eliciting that response earlier on. From what I hear, I am actually fairly successful in recruiting students to the dark side as anthro majors.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:43 pm 96

Welcome to the campus of Case Western Reserve University. Art History Department.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:45 pm 97

Heh. Postmodernism.

Don’t know enough to contribute one way or the other. But will say in its defense that intellectualism has to plow thru old ideas one way or another, even if the first way proves to be silly. Otherwise minds stagnate.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:46 pm 98
In response to Dearie @ 93

LOL. I always thought you kicked ass and now I have proof of it. I also have long thought that Harvard grads have a highly inflated opinion of themselves.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:49 pm 99
In response to eCAHNomics @ 97

As I have said, a few of them make some valid points, but a lot of it reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of science and a profound naivete on their part. Much of what they take as as profound insight is what I thought was pretty much a given.

DrDick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:51 pm 100

Time for me to toddle off. Have to corrupt young minds again at midday tomorrow and destroy their illusions of what marriage and family really are.

Dearie | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:52 pm 101

Indeed! The bar exam was such a microcosm of wannabe in action. Three days of mind-bending. Half the ‘contestants’ were still reading their law books during breaks…..which boggled my mind. After hours I hung out at the bar with an amusing young guy sharing notes and laughs. Don’t know if he passed or not. I brought 13 pages of law with me, and I never looked at any of ‘em. I know how to study — I figured that after 4 years, I either knew it or I didn’t.

I enjoy the law…..did a deposition today, in fact. Fun to be able to keep my fingers in the pie even in semi-retirement.

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:56 pm 102

marriage = sucks but choice– leave
family= sucks but no choice–

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:56 pm 103
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 102

i jest i love my family

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:57 pm 104

My anthro professor was my fave when I went back to school, very challenging and inspiring. I am now friends with her. Her PhD thesis was Empire of Dirt: The Aesthetics and Rituals of British Indie Music (Music Culture)

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday July 10, 2012 09:58 pm 105

i’m glad, dearie just got done telling someone– she told me first and i agreed– how tired we are of the law and it shouldn’t be that way

eCAHNomics | Tuesday July 10, 2012 10:00 pm 106

profound insight is what I thought was pretty much a given.

That’s one of my problem with philosophy in general.

I am so short-suited in that sphere, it’s taken me a long time to figure out how to express myself. I’ll try again.

Some philosophy I find completely obscure. Like: WTF are they talking about. Plato’s real world behind the real world being the perfect example.

Some philosophy I find completely obvious. Apparently your reaction to much of postmodernism.

Sometimes (reading books, or more often listening to them bc I can’t intake a real read of a real philosophy book) I get an AHA moment.

I tried to explain this to a HS classmate who was a philosophy major undergrad, but botched up my explicamation, so think I offended him rather than communicate what my legit problem was.

Still not clear about the latter, but won’t give up trying to understand. :-)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 10, 2012 10:06 pm 107