Everybody Wants to Say “I Do”

This catchy country wedding song by Town and Country Band is a reminder that June, while traditionally being the month for weddings, is LGBT Pride Month. Wouldn’t it be nice if all those people who wanted to say “I do” were legally allowed to so?

And while we’re on the subject, JC Penney just released a new ad bound to upset that “organization” One Million Moms, which my colleague Teddy Partridge pointed out is

actually some dudes on Facebook who hate homosexuality with an astonishingly acute blazing hatred and get money from a SPLC-designated hate group to pursue their all-consuming hatred that’s garnered such incredible success

Gods, how I love Teddy’s sarcasm.  That Starbuck’s boycott was beyond an epic fail. Anyway, the JC Penney ad is a full on neener nose thumb at the sandy-panties and features

real-life dads Todd Koch and Cooper Smith with their children, Claire and Mason.

Now wouldn’t it be nice if unwed parents could legally get married?

HT: Joe My God, Gawker

54 Responses to "Everybody Wants to Say “I Do”"
Kelly Canfield | Saturday June 2, 2012 06:53 pm 1

Me lurves the tune! Have a good listen at time marker 1:04, there’s a little “here comes the bride” motif and it’s just so damn cute and tidily tucked into the tune!

Mwah, ma LaLisa!

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:06 pm 2

Lisa!

Marriage equality is coming fairly and the haters are on the wrong side of history. Perfect song for this as well.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:09 pm 3

June, while traditionally being the month for weddings, is LGBT Pride Month.

What could be better?

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:13 pm 4

LISA!
Gotta love hater math where 47,000 people who clicked “like”, (or whatever it is) on facebook = one million moms. And I’m shopping at JC Penny’s the next time I need some department store items.

Kelly Canfield | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:13 pm 5

I’ve listened to that song 5 times now.

I’m getting back into the country groove – lol! Whodathunkit?

I passed it to my partner Chris. If he puts it on his facebook, well, ZOUNDS its a winner!

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:14 pm 6
In response to Margaret @ 4

Yep and I have not shopped at Target for a while now.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:18 pm 7
In response to Margaret @ 4

Me too!

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:20 pm 8

…I have not shopped at Target for a while now.

Nor have I. Did they think we would just accept their rote platitudes and stop paying attention? I don’t know what I object to more: their homophobia or their lack of respect for peoples’ intelligence.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:22 pm 9
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 5

Take you back to your classical roots, does it?

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:23 pm 10
In response to Margaret @ 8

I just figure that they are both a product of Goldberg-class stupid.

Kelly Canfield | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:27 pm 11
In response to econobuzz @ 9

LOL!

Well, country is not excluded from classical, in a pure sense.

(let me go hang on my porch for a minute to think up a comment to keep my music world shit consistent. back in a few.)

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:27 pm 12

x2

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:35 pm 13

Speaking of the Pantload, did anyone else see his latest emission? Methinks the right is beginning to see the demographic writing on the wall and is shitting their collective pants.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:37 pm 14

Indeed.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:37 pm 15
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 11

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:43 pm 16

Yep. More calls for right wing violence. Just like Nan Hayworth’s campaign calling for employing the traditionally Muslim practice at throwing acid into the faces of women who dare not obey their husbands, fathers, whatever penis thinks he owns her and then defending it. I guess it’s a good thing for Jay Townsend that he doesn;t live in Tennessee or Oklahoma or some other state where they’ve ridiculously banned “Sharia Law”.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:47 pm 17
In response to Margaret @ 16

In Oklahoma, the State Supreme Court kicked that one to the curb (I guess there are still a few sane folks who have not fled the state), besides it is just fine if good God-fearing right(wing)kind of Christian folks do it in both states.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:48 pm 18

You’re right of course. The laws they pass are only for chumps like us.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:52 pm 19
In response to Margaret @ 18

In this case, it is just that the Talibangelicals don’t want any competition. They figure they have a rightful monopoly on Medieval, batshit crazy religious extremism in this country.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:56 pm 20

National Parks sure seem to be pushing an amateur astronomer theme these days. First there was a big push about coming to parks to see the solar eclipse and now they want visitors to come see Venus transit the Sun. I guess they figure that astronomy buffs are preferable to the beer guzzling, grilling type. After watching a group of MENSA members attempt to set up a tent at Kerrville Folk Fest one year, I think they may be underestimating the damage that a motivated but tipsy genius can do.

Twain | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:57 pm 21

Lisa, great post and I love the song. Thanks

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:58 pm 22
In response to Margaret @ 20

Far fewer guns, however, so the body count should be lower.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:59 pm 23
In response to Margaret @ 20

The two sets intersect.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 08:59 pm 24

LMAO! Many of those guys are one lab accident from super villain.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:00 pm 25
In response to econobuzz @ 23

Oh, I’m sure. I didn’t mean to suggest there was no overlap!

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:01 pm 26
In response to Margaret @ 25

I didn’t mean to suggest there was no overlap! Dunno what happened to my “no”.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:01 pm 27
In response to Margaret @ 20

You do highlight a phenomenon I have viewed with dismay for more than 30 years. It is absolutely amazing to me how many absolutely brilliant academics cannot screw in a light bulb, match their socks, or balance their checkbook.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:03 pm 28

It can be hysterically funny when it’s the pompous, self important ones doing it. Mostly it’s just sad though and it makes me want to help them out. Sometimes I get rebuffed, sometimes not.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:04 pm 29

Or design a stimulus.

ChristineEdmonson | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:04 pm 30
In response to Margaret @ 4

Me too! I’ve always love JCP for many reasons, the main one being they had lovely little girl clothes. When MSCE rejected JCP in middle school, I was crushed.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:05 pm 31
In response to econobuzz @ 29

Right? :/

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:06 pm 32
In response to Margaret @ 28

It tends to be concentrated in the elite universities and their graduates. The folks at lower rung institutions tend to be a bit more well grounded. When I was living in Chicago, some friends of mine and I (all academics) decided that as part of the Ph.D. program at the University of Chicago, they removed all traces of common sense and practical knowledge.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:09 pm 33

Sounds like the economics program.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:10 pm 34
In response to econobuzz @ 29

Actually quite a few folks, including some fellow at Princeton and several at Berkeley, designed quite good stimulus proposals. Unfortunately, no one in Washington would listen to them. Christie Roehmer, who was part of the administration, told them at the outset that the stimulus needed to be several times as large to have any significant effects (as did Krugman in his column).

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:12 pm 35

Yes, not listening may cost Obama a second term.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:12 pm 36

You can’t fix stupid but apparently you can break smart.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:12 pm 37
In response to econobuzz @ 33

Pretty widespread there. All of the people I knew were in the Anthropology Department. The problems in the econ dept. at Chicago are more ideological (and pecuniary) than a lack of common sense. As Upton Sinclair observed, it is difficult to get a man to understand something when his paycheck depends on not understanding it.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:14 pm 38
In response to econobuzz @ 35

True dat. A byproduct of his Chicago affiliation, I suspect. They encourage interdepartmental loyalty to the institution there.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:15 pm 39
In response to Margaret @ 36

It is always easier to destroy the good than to fix the bad.

Twain | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:16 pm 40

Target is now selling t-shirts to defeat the anti-gay marriage proposal, one of them designed by Gwen Stefani.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:16 pm 41

Yes, the econ profession has fallen prey to that and disgraced itself, IMHO. When I took my degree, we all looked down on other social scientists and others. I regret it to this day.

Kelly Canfield | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:19 pm 42
In response to econobuzz @ 41

Not easy to admit. That’s quite admirable. Good on you.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:19 pm 43
In response to Twain @ 40

Target has realized that gay people have money and they spend it. That absolves them of nothing though in my opinion.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:19 pm 44
In response to Twain @ 40

Whatever Gwen is selling, I’m buying. But that’s just me.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:20 pm 45
In response to econobuzz @ 41

In fairness (and I find the arrogance of economists rather annoying and largely unfounded), that is rather selective and really is the result of the influence of the spread of Friedman’s spawn and Koch money.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:22 pm 46

M’eh. I’ll bet physicists scorn both of you. Tribalism in academia is just proof of how close we all are to dwelling in caves in small, related groups.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:24 pm 47
In response to Margaret @ 46

Okay, maybe not “proof” literally but a piece of evidence anyway.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:24 pm 48

Actually, very anti-progressive influences go well beyond Uncle Milty. In a conversation with Ricard Wolff and Stephanie Kelton (MMT), I mentioned that the most important stuff I learned — and taught — in macro was wrong.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:26 pm 49
In response to Margaret @ 46

All of the “hard” sciences scorn all the social sciences. I just ignore them and giggle when they suddenly discover something we have known for decades. A lot of that is a byproduct of academic turf wars (battles over scarce funding).

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:26 pm 50
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 42

Mainstream econ sells progressives out.

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:28 pm 51
In response to econobuzz @ 48

Have to say that you lost me there. My knowledge of the economics world is fairly limited.

econobuzz | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:34 pm 52

Neo-liberal econ clings to theories that are wrong. The most important is that the federal government has to tax or borrow to spend. It is a straight jacket that stands in the way of achieving progressive goals. I strongly recommend that progressives learn about and embrace Modern Monetary Theory.

Without it, we have no chance. But YMMV

DrDick | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:35 pm 53

Time for me to toddle off. Have to read the umpteenth iteration of an MA thesis and plan on trying to climb a mountain tomorrow afternoon. Take care all.

Margaret | Saturday June 2, 2012 09:55 pm 54