Late Night FDL: Astronauts, Idiots, Three Men and a Tenor

A Sacramento law firm is suing to prevent Democratic congressional candidate Jose Hernandez from describing himself as an “astronaut/scientist/engineer” on the June ballot. The firm Bell, McAndrews & Hiltachk has ties to Republican politicians:

Attorney Charles Bell Jr., one of two lawyers named on the lawsuit, is general counsel to the California Republican Party. The other attorney listed on the lawsuit, Brian Hildreth, has worked for former Republican Gov. Pete Wilson.

The lawsuit points out that Jose Hernandez did not receive any pay from NASA in 2011 and that

Hernandez’s attempted use of ‘astronaut’ violates the Election Code’s unambiguous requirement that a candidate’s ballot designation reflect one’s current profession, vocation, or one held during the previous calendar year.

Hernandez left NASA in January of 2011. He was

born into a farmworker family, trained as an engineer at the University of the Pacific and was selected as an astronaut candidate in May 2004. He flew aboard the shuttle Discovery in 2009.

45 Responses to "Late Night FDL: Astronauts, Idiots, Three Men and a Tenor"
DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:05 pm 1

Lisa!

The truth shall set you free, but it terrifies Republicans.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:13 pm 2

Truth is only feared by liars. And they are in every political party.

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:16 pm 3

If the pukes call Mitty “Governor” and Gingrich “Speaker” and Santimonious “Senator”….what’s their damned gripe about calling Hernandez “Astronaut”? Oh, the Rs are crazy. Oh, okay then.

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:17 pm 4

They are, but the difference is that all of the Republicans are liars (libertarians, on the other hand, are mostly just delusional loons).

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:19 pm 5

Would it be rude of me to say that the Republicans suck??? With all the craziness going on around here, I sure wouldn’t want to offend anyone.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:20 pm 6
In response to Dearie @ 5

Dearie, frolic freely and speak your mind!

cwaltz | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:21 pm 7
In response to Dearie @ 3

Dearie

Look at that, you answered your own question. ;)

I swear the GOP gets nuttier by the day.

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:21 pm 8
In response to Dearie @ 5

Actually, I would say that you are flattering them.

tejanarusa | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:22 pm 9
In response to Dearie @ 5

LOl!

Would it make these guys happier if Hernandez described himself as an ex-Astronaut? How many ex-astronauts do we refer to as simply “astronaut.”

This guy must scare the R’s, or they wouldn’t have gone so far as to sue on such silly grounds.

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:22 pm 10
In response to Dearie @ 3

Given his Surname, he’s either a Shortstop or then someone’s Lawn Jockey !

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:25 pm 11
In response to tejanarusa @ 9

John Glenn Comes to mind. I don’t think anybody objected to him calling himself that, certainly not the GOP.

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:26 pm 12

LOL … Seconded !

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:27 pm 13
In response to Petrocelli @ 10

Petro!

How’s my favorite Canukistanian? Y’all keep invading us on the weekends here in western Montana, ’cause we got better bars (of course, we are talking southern Alberta).

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:27 pm 14

Who among us wouldn’t love to see Caribou Barbie in a Chopper with a Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator ?

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:29 pm 15
In response to Petrocelli @ 14

Who among us wouldn’t love to see Caribou Barbie in a rocket destined for the first solar landing?

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:29 pm 16

I’d love to visit Montana someday, and I will !

Those fookin’ Calgarians will go anywhere there’s cheaper booze …

sloopydrew | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:29 pm 17

So …

Looking for some opinions on this. I have had an active account on IMDb (Internet Movie Database) for 12 years. I’ve been visiting the site for 17. In the 12 years of actively posting, I never had a single post removed for violating the terms and conditions of IMDb (owned by AMAZON). Then I posted this in regards to the propaganda film, Act of Valor:

“Goebbels had Leni Riefenstahl make films like this to pump up the boys and add to the ranks. The fact this opened at # 1 is a scary statement about the state of America. How many more wars must we fight? I thought we were tiring of this — now are we going to start rooting for a new war in Iran? ‘Act of Valor’ is the most ironic title ever. It’d make me laugh, if it wasn’t so sad.”

What do you think happened?

I had my entire account wiped. Not just the above post, but every post I had ever made. 12 years of posts (literally thousands) gone. 17 years of ratings, gone. My account taken.

At the same time, this post has sat in the thread for longer than mine did and is still there today:

“Libtards are traitors to this country and the sequel to this movie we should fight the real enemy the libtards. If they be family friend or child we must fight them before they destroy are country!!!”

So, that post is okay with Amazon/IMDb. The one I wrote warranted destroying my longstanding account. Am I wrong to be hurt/shocked/worried over this?

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:30 pm 18
In response to Petrocelli @ 10

I hear ya. And I just cannot stand the hypocrisy of the Rs. I am over them. They make me ill. And, of course, they are all about saving the killer with the German name who blew away the black kid in FLA. … while also proclaiming how ‘balanced’ they are because the killer is Hispanic. They make my head explode….and I would dearly love to return the favor!

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:32 pm 19
In response to Petrocelli @ 16

Beautiful country out here in western Montana. Eastern part of the state, not so much, unless you are into savannahs.

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:32 pm 20

LMAO !!!

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:33 pm 21
In response to sloopydrew @ 17

Not at all wrong, but rather naive. This is rightwing corporate America we are talking about here.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:35 pm 22

The GOP is scared shitless a Hispanic Astronaut could get Obama type funding numbers if he were ever to run for President from small donors. Pete Wilson realizes that this could get Hispanics to vote in huge numbers if he ran for statewide office.
I expect GOP dirty tricks and vote fraud with this race. Someone should tell Brad Blog this is the race to watch Brad covers GOP vote fraud better than anyone.

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:36 pm 23
In response to sloopydrew @ 17

I’m sorry that happened to you. (And are you new around here? I don’t recognize your name…..so Welcome!…until we get internet-nuked, this is certainly the place to be.) It’s only going to get worse. We need a REAL democratic leader, and we don’t have one yet. IF we get one, we may be able to claw back some of what we’ve lost.

sloopydrew | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:36 pm 24

My IMDb account was tied to my Amazon account. I buy a lot from Amazon (you have to have made an Amazon purchase in the past year to even authenticate your account). I thought that at least the illusion of customer service still meant something to these monoliths. I guess I was naive. The Internet didn’t save Freedom of Speech, it squashed it.

tejanarusa | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:37 pm 25
In response to sloopydrew @ 17

Might it have been the “libtard” commenter hacking your site or something?
Does IMDB have a customer service dept? Didn’t know Amazon owned it.

Gotta go, peeps. Good to see the night people.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:39 pm 26

If Glenn was still paid by NASA then perhaps he might qualify as a astronaut, per to R logic. When did that might list his occupation/s?Glenn run and is there a copy of the ballot he was on t

sloopydrew | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:40 pm 27
In response to Dearie @ 23

Not new. But usually just lurking. But I have been making a post here and there on the site for the past couple of years. I used to post a lot over at Kos, until Markos’ Obama-worship became too much for me to handle. And I suppose I spent the rest of my time posting at IMDb, which I obviously regret, at this point. Thanks, either way, for the welcome!

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:40 pm 28
In response to tejanarusa @ 25

Nighters!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:41 pm 29
In response to tejanarusa @ 25

Night, tej.

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:42 pm 30
In response to sloopydrew @ 27

Yep. Lots of us did some time at dkos. But this is the place to be. Come on back. The water’s fine. But be alert….. we are indeed a feisty bunch. :)

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:44 pm 31
In response to sloopydrew @ 24

I quit buying from Amazon years ago, owing to their political contributions. I did not want my money going to such obscene purposes. Didn’t know that they owned IMDB, which is wonderful, but I guess I am glad I never wanted an account. Customer service is only for the “good” people (the ones who do not make waves).

sloopydrew | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:45 pm 32
In response to tejanarusa @ 25

I emailed IMDb asking just that (whether or not I was hacked). I received this response:

Thank you for contacting us.

Posts can also be deleted by an administrator if they have generated complaints from other users (through the Report Abuse feature) and have been deemed inappropriate or in violation of our Terms & Conditions of use.

In some cases administrators may exercise the option of removing entire post histories from the system. If this has happened to you, it’s a definite sign that you are doing something inappropriate that has attracted multiple complaints.

Reading that, I deduced a lot of the “libtard” type posters reported my post — which violated no IMDb or Amazon terms and conditions — over and over again. One of the complainers fearful of varying opinions finally lucked out and hit an admin. who sympathized with them and wiped my account. I have found out that an account cannot be taken down automatically, based only on reports. A living, breathing admin. can only make the decision.

Again, the GOP Tea Party types prove they are all about freedom!

sloopydrew | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:49 pm 33
In response to Dearie @ 30

“Feisty” doesn’t bother me so much. It’s “fanatic” that gets under my skin. Which is why I stay far, far away from The Blaze — unless I have a wound that needs to be salted. ;-p

CTuttle | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:57 pm 34
In response to tejanarusa @ 9

How’s about Rocket Scientist instead…? ;-)

DrDick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 08:59 pm 35

Time for me to toddle off as I have young minds to corrupt in the morning. Take care all.

CTuttle | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:02 pm 36

Pleasant dreams, Dr. D and tj…!

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:05 pm 37

If you keep corrupting them at as high a level as your new PhD, well, dang, you’re gonna end up famous or somethin’!

AitchD | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:27 pm 38
In response to sloopydrew @ 32

Hi,

You’ve hatched a major news item, especially since it involves Amazon.

I hope you’ll consider posting your story at MyFDL as a diary, and I hope it gets Front Paged.

spurious | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:36 pm 39

unambiguous? can we spell ‘swift-boat’…

marymccurnin | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:37 pm 40

If you fly in a forkin’ rocketship, you are a forkin’ astronaut.

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:53 pm 41
In response to marymccurnin @ 40

Mary, in case you check back: I once attended a Scott Peck (Path of Least Resistance, People of the Lie) confab. He asked the assemblage, “Who wants to be perfect?” I think a dozen of us raised our hands…..before realizing how small we were in number! He said, “What’s the matter with the rest of you?” (an assemblage of about 600.) Did I think I could be ‘perfect’…..of course not. But I’d like to believe I never quit trying. What is going on in our country is so shameful, so sad. But, well, hey, I’m still going to keep on being me. Whatever.

CTuttle | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:54 pm 42

Lisa… Did you see this jawdropper…

Jane Fonda to play Nancy Reagan…

Who’d a’thunk it…? ;-)

Dearie | Tuesday March 27, 2012 09:59 pm 43
In response to CTuttle @ 42

Is karma at work already! Divine! Poor NancyR will spit bullets.

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 27, 2012 10:01 pm 44
In response to CTuttle @ 42

Bets are on that Jane will go off-script and bitch slap “Raygun” around the Ranch …

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 27, 2012 10:04 pm 45