Hot on the heels of their loss in New Hampshire, those dregs of America, the National Organization for Marriage, are steaming like frothy Santorum and calling for a nationwide boycott of Starbucks because:

Starbucks corporation issued a memorandum to all “US Partners” declaring that same-sex marriage “is aligned with Starbucks business practices” and “is core to who we are and what we value as a company.”

In addition to declaring its corporate-wide position in support of gay marriage, Starbucks also used its resources to participate in a legal case seeking to overturn a federal law declaring marriage as the union of one man and one woman….

This is why we must urge all consumers to “dump Starbucks,” as well as Seattle’s Best Coffee and Evolution Fresh juices, which are owned by Starbucks.

Oh gosh, far be it for me to suggest you forgo Hipster’s Porkpie Latte, Tattooed Mustache Mojo, Wallet Chain Wally’s or any other local coffeehouse that supports the artist community for your doppio fair trade, organic soy foamed, Clover brewed kopi luwak bean eye opener when you roll out of  your loft at 2pm–but we need to keep standing up to the narrow-minded, uptight, bigots who seek to control our minds and our bodies by telling us who and how we should love. And that means letting your local Starbucks manager and the corporate leadership know that you appreciate their stance by crossing their corporate threshold, ordering a cuppa and thanking the Starbuck’s baristas for their company’s all-American, open-minded stance. The same goes for any company that speaks up for marriage equality.

In many communities, Starbucks is the go-to coffee spot providing WiFi, snacks, a place to socialize, read and write, and the ever-important caffeine. And seriously, does NOM actually think that its own members will give up skinny frappuccinos or double caramel lattes?  Those NOM moms will be sneaking the Starby’s guiltily, making the mochas even more delicious for their sinfulness.

Make mine a double.

15 Responses to "Oh Puhleeze, As If! NOM Sez “Boycott Starbucks!” for Supporting Marriage Equality"
Teddy Partridge | Wednesday March 21, 2012 11:11 pm 1

Never.
Gonna.
Happen.

MBouffant | Thursday March 22, 2012 02:33 am 2

I am never going back to Wallet Chain Wally’s: That place is a dump!

But if I can find one of these Starbucks places, I hear the caramel frappucinos are good.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 22, 2012 03:56 pm 3

You can thank Starbucks by drinking their coffee, and/or by going to the webpage for new a corporate campaign-focused org SumOfUs which has launched a “Thank you Starbucks” campaign.

(Caveat: They want your email which means you may get email from them, so plan accordingly)

Dearie | Thursday March 22, 2012 07:34 pm 4

I don’t frequent Starbucks (too expensive and long lines) but I’m gonna go by and buy a cuppa. I do believe that if we choose not to buy from someone who supports Rush Limpbaugh, then we should step up and support someone who is doing good in the world.

Larue | Thursday March 22, 2012 07:35 pm 5

I don’t think the members and supporters of NOM are getting NOMMED enuff . . . just sayin. They might be happier if they . . . well, then there’s the whole ultrasound thang, but a good nom does NOT risk pregnancy . . . I dunna, maybe I strayed from the thread.

My bad.

Rock on Mz Derrick. ;-)

medicinecat | Thursday March 22, 2012 07:42 pm 6

It is especially good to hang-out and spend your money at the Starbucks stores where the workers have union contracts thanks to the organizing efforts of the IWW. Go Wobblies!

Beerfart Liberal | Thursday March 22, 2012 07:56 pm 7

Seattle’s Best is what they serve in BK. Boycott = a whopper fail.

yellowsnapdragon | Thursday March 22, 2012 08:00 pm 8

Er, boycott Starbucks for having crappy coffee. That said, I like their business model.

Beerfart Liberal | Thursday March 22, 2012 08:06 pm 9

i like BKs coffee better than starbucks. So all my FDL friends stop in at BK for breakfast tomorrow?

Beerfart Liberal | Thursday March 22, 2012 08:08 pm 10

Agree with YellowSD. Don’t go to Starbucks. Too expensive.Coffee sucks. and those people…… what do you call the people we used to call yuppies? Go to BK instead.

RodL2 | Thursday March 22, 2012 08:08 pm 11

It will be very interesting to see what actual impact NOM has on anything at ground level. (Oh, a pun!) I think the .0003% of business that Starbucks might lose because NOM folk go back to Hills Brothers will be offset a zillion times over by new customers
And it would be nice to have some evidence that NOM and other wingnuts are little more than creeps behind curtains pretending to be larger than real.

judybrowni | Thursday March 22, 2012 09:06 pm 12

When I was in Waikiki last winter, in the International Marketplace, there’s a second story coffee bar where the owner fresh roasts his own local beans, and once I drank that Starbucks tasted like swill.

Howsumever, back home and back to Starbucks — a friend gave me a giftcard, and I will enjoy it, if just to spite NOM.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 22, 2012 10:03 pm 13

Just drop in and say thanks.

Zera Lee | Friday March 23, 2012 04:34 am 14

Weren’t they already boycotting Starbucks over a no-gun policy?

ArlaM | Friday March 23, 2012 08:55 am 15

You know what? Although I personally agree with Starbucks’s(‘s’s's) corporate position, Just as is is our right to boycott sponsors of Limpballs or Komen – it is their right to choose to boycott Starbucks.

It’s all that old “I may not agree with anything you say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it” thing, for me.