Obama Pitches Movie Idea to Harvey Weinstein, Movie Mogul Passes

Just because you’re the President of the United States doesn’t mean you can just order a movie made based on your favorite book. Even if you’re pitching one of your biggest donors who also happens to be one of the biggest producers in Hollywood.  Oscar-winning producer Harvey Weinstein revealed

The President sent me a book the other day and said ‘Why don’t you make this into a movie?’ I can’t tell you [what it was]. It was a spy novel.

Weinstein passed:

I sent him an email back saying he was the most overqualified book scout I’ve ever had.

Weinstein isn’t naming the book, but odds are it wasn’t Chelsea Quinn Yarboro’s costume vampire spy thriller, Writ In Blood: A Novel of the Comte de St. Germaine or (sadly) The Illuminantus Trilogy.

15 Responses to "Obama Pitches Movie Idea to Harvey Weinstein, Movie Mogul Passes"
Kelly Canfield | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:07 pm 1

Oh my
/takei

CTuttle | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:17 pm 2

Aloha, Lisa, I just met today the independent Filmmaker/Journalist, Michael Murphy, today at our pre-planning meet-up for our Occupy Hilo Foreclosure action on Monday…! Here’s a trailer of his latest production… What in the World are They Spraying?

CTuttle | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:32 pm 3

Here’s where I’ll be Monday…!

I’ll even be livestreaming it…! ;-)

CTuttle | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:35 pm 4

Did I kill another thread…? 8-(

Dearie | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:41 pm 5

Proud of all you do, CT.

Dearie | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:42 pm 6

I don’t read spy novels, so I couldn’t even begin to guess what book Obama pitched.

CTuttle | Saturday March 10, 2012 07:46 pm 7
In response to Dearie @ 5

Mahalo, M’dear…! ;-)

It all starts with small steps, led by a concerned, informed citzenry…! We had a local reporter in attendance, that took copious notes…! It’s a Countrywide/BoA/HAMP nightmare we’re trying to stave off…!

jasmine311 | Saturday March 10, 2012 09:22 pm 8

As far as the book is concerned—it’s probably the cinematic equivalent of the 2002 melodrama orchestrated by the New York Times. A lone but intrepid US beset by a ruthless world of imminent and diabolical threats. Luckily for book’s main characters, they had people farsighted enough to do away with the cumbersome 3-branch system of government, or else no Americans would have survived by the end.

wmd1961 | Saturday March 10, 2012 09:34 pm 9

I miss Robert Anton Wilson.

Who would play Hagbard Celine in the movie? Somehow I think it would need to combine style elements of “The Magic Christian” and “Brazil” to work

MicheleC | Saturday March 10, 2012 10:37 pm 10

Wow, someone besides me who likes Chelsea Quinn Yarbro’s St. Germain series!

tjbs | Sunday March 11, 2012 03:10 am 11

Harvey better keep his eye on the sky and after the drone hit the next producer won’t think twice about heading the advice, instead of paying price, of crossing the assassinator in chief.

bluewombat | Sunday March 11, 2012 03:16 am 12

He should have pitched a political thriller about the first black President. He’s a former professor of Constitutional law who implies that he’ll restore law, order, and justice to a country that’s been ravaged by an extremist usurper. But then — here’s the beauty part — he turns out to be even more extremist than the usurper. But people like him anyway, even though they can’t figure out where their economy or their democracy went.

Naah — too far-fetched. It’s probably better he tried to go with a spy novel.

pdaly | Sunday March 11, 2012 08:17 am 13
In response to bluewombat @ 12

Maybe we at FDL can write the script and Jane can produce it.

Come to think of it, I think were are doing just that! (But someone needs to shorten it to 90 minutes–or hire director Peter Jackson for a trilogy version).

pdaly | Sunday March 11, 2012 08:18 am 14

correction: Come to think of it, I think we’re doing just that!

bluewombat | Sunday March 11, 2012 12:39 pm 15
In response to pdaly @ 13

It is a good idea, although perhaps Obama and the corporate media have beaten us to it.