Andrew Breitbart Dead

I got a text this morning from my ex-husband asking if Andrew Breitbart was really dead, or if the announcement was a hoax. I woke up my roommate, Mark Ebner, who wrote a book with Breitbart, Hollywood Interrupted and he is now outside drinking coffee and staring at the lawn after saying

Don’t dance on his grave. He was young.

Breitbart died of natural causes at UCLA Medical Center just after midnight where he was taken by ambulance after collapsing on a stroll in his neighborhood. He was 43.

I had met Breitbart a number of times when he worked for Drudge and he was a smart, kind, sweet, funny guy back then, though our politics didn’t match up. He took me to a screening of Oliver Stone’s movie about Castro. A bunch of us watched the Oscars at his house one year, eating pizza and goofing off. The last time I chatted with him was online, after many years of no contact; we exchanged a few remarks about Occupy, and in chat he teased me

So Occupy is being run by Wiccans?

From our pre-HuffPo, pre-Big Hollywood conversations, I learned some things about Andrew. He was adopted, which is why he was anti-abortion. He told me that his birth mom was kind of hippie, and he had been liberal himself, but after spending time with his father-in-law Orson Bean, his politics shifted.

Andrew was an instigator, a rabblerouser and while our politics so did not line up, he became an unlikely ally of the LGBT community last year when told a CPAC audience

If being conservative means rejecting gay conservatives because they are gay, then fine, I’m not a conservative.

He later resigned from the board of GOProud over allegations that the group’s leaders, Christopher Barron and Jimmy LaSalvia, had outed an official working with Rick Perry’s presidential campaign.

I disagreed with a lot of what he did, but I appreciated that he existed, if only to be a huge counter balance. I often wished he had used his brains, balls and brawn in other ways, but …

Andrew leaves behind his wife and kids. And a world that will be less outrage-filled and smaller without his bombastic presence.

No word yet if the Mormons plan to baptize Andrew.

99 Responses to "Andrew Breitbart Dead"
bluewombat | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:50 am 1

Is this like one of these Twitter things, or is he really in the past tense?

cmaukonen | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:50 am 2

He like many others in the media spotlight had failed to learn that words have consequences.

EvilDrPuma | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:51 am 3

Apparently it’s true.

Well, if I can’t say anything nice…

bluewombat | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:52 am 4

Wow — it’s true:

Will have no comment.

bgrothus | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:53 am 5

Is there a pre-baptism wait for the dead? Can they be baptized before embalming or only after in the ground?

JerryB | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:53 am 6

I will not mourn his death, nor will I take joy from his passing.

Gregory Gadow | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:55 am 7

I am sorely tempted to use the same language that he used when Senator Ted Kennedy passed. I would like to think, though, that I am a much better human being than that.

Beerfart Liberal | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:56 am 8

Wow. Orson Bean? Not the guy on To Tell the Truth, is it?

Gregory Gadow | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:58 am 9
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 3

One should only speak good of the dead. (The rest, I leave as an exercise for the reader.)

Frank33 | Thursday March 1, 2012 07:59 am 10

You are a Wiccan! No heaven for you.

Beerfart Liberal | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:08 am 11

43 years old? That just sucks, man. Don’t really care about the guy and his stupid shit. That’s just too young.

klynn | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:08 am 12

Lisa,

You are a class act. The last response we need to promote as a community would be hate. You have managed to not be a mirror.

Many are reposting his Twitter feed from the day Ted Kennedy died. Out of respect for the Kennedy family, it would be nice if people pulled back a bit and not repeat such painful and rude words.

Andrew is facing the eternal playout of his words and actions. His best, good, bad and worst weighed on a balance. From my own viewpoint, I am thankful that task belongs to another. No throwing stones for me today.

Oilfieldguy | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:09 am 13

I will not attend the funeral but I approve.

mswinkle | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:11 am 14

Not sure if anyone saw it but there is a video from the cpac conf, where Andrew said he had videos on O that would blow O’s chances of getting reelected. he was going to release them in October.

Did he have explosive videos I don’t know. But I do know that Mathew Simmons who had the goods on the BP disaster died in a hot tub. I do know people who knew Matthew think it was no accident.

anyway just thought I post this

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:12 am 15
In response to Frank33 @ 10

Actually, Frank, I’m not a Wiccan, but I am um…a witch. Andrew’s teasing of me was akin to Catholic being called a Baptist by an atheist.

Broadstreetbuddy | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:14 am 16

I saw him on the Young Turks last week, I think it was, he appeared a little on edge. I thought it was just nervous engergy but I wouldnt be suprised to find out it was something more.

As to being adopted, I am also adopted and the internal contradiction is very obvious to me but I still support a woman’s right to choose. I am very glad that my mother chose to keep me but every woman has their right to decide for themselves.

scrambler | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:14 am 17

There are no 100 percents in life. Look at the sad ending to Joe Paterno’s life. Even though he wasn’t the one committing the “evil” and did more reporting than Catholic Church hierarchy, it will forever stain his “legacy” and a sad ending to what seemed like a close to impeccable life. For all of Breitbart’s insane things, this was a nice and respectful article and it is very sad for a family to lose a husband and father at such a young age.

mswinkle | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:15 am 18
In response to mswinkle @ 14

Here is a link for anyone looking for what andrew said about explosive videos he had on Obama

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:17 am 19
In response to klynn @ 12

Here’s the link to Andrew’s CPAC speech where he says that he has videos of Obama meeting with a bunch of silver ponytails like Bill Ayers Bernadette Dorn from his college days.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:18 am 20
In response to mswinkle @ 18

Thanks! You are faster on the interwebs than I.

Beerfart Liberal | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:19 am 21
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 11

when I say I don’t care— I mean that it’s all really insignificant to me.

realitychecker | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:19 am 22

If he had the kinds of peripheral awarenesses you indicate, and yet he used his energies the way he did, then I have even less respect for him than I did before. I would have gladly pissed on such a person while alive, and think it is phony to pretend otherwise now.

monkeybreath | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:19 am 23

Breitbart was a far right wing propogandist and activist whose activities were damaging to the body politic of this country. Because of his activities and the actions of others like him reaching moderate, sensible, policies which serve more than the doner class has become more and more remote to the detriment of our kid’s future. He does not deservethe publicity he is now receiving. I for one will not miss him

monkeybreath | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:23 am 24

PS where does this leave the Sharrad lawsuit?
How long before some Morman rebaptizes him?

Knox | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:24 am 25

I have mixed feelings about the death of people like Breitbart, who seem to revel in spreading hate, confusion, and divisiveness. May his stint in whichever woeful realm he finds himself be fruitful and brief.

ruh17 | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:29 am 26

Like TI said, “People die ery day.”

Most of you have much more class than I. I’m sad for his children… but, happy for my country.

scrawnykayaker | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:30 am 27

I’m a rationalist materialist, so I can’t believe any spirituality, karma, blah blah. Too bad, makes a good story.

Copied from a local Seattle blog:

Like Bette Davis said of the late Joan Crawford, “They say you should always speak good of the dead. He’s dead, that’s good!”

ruh17 | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:31 am 28
In response to realitychecker @ 22

Exactly. It’s not who you are on the inside that matters. It’s what you do.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:39 am 29

Andrew’s last message to me:

Andrew Breitbart

Sorry. Missed your email. SO, I can say, Occupy is being lef by Wiccan forces!? Excellent! Hope all is well. andrew

gerryphillyesq | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:42 am 30
In response to ruh17 @ 28

In the best of circumstances, what you are on the inside should comport with what you do. To do less is hypocritical.

jurassicpork | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:46 am 31

The screaming, sweat-drenched life of the late Andrew Breitbart should’ve served as an object lesson to what happens when lunatics such as him are listened to without even a modicum of vetting. But it’s a lesson we Americans will never learn.

Knox | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:47 am 32
In response to scrawnykayaker @ 27

Reason alone should be enough to convince you that the universe is not limited by conventional matter and energy, that the universe is more than what you can detect by means of your physical senses.

Anyway, will you be taking a trip to the grave to do a little dance before your materialist time is up?

EdwardTeller | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:50 am 33

He can’t hurt anyone anymore.

That is the first thought that I had after realizing the tweets on his passing weren’t as much a hoax as was much of his work.

Mighty | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:53 am 34

He was a vicious human being. Don’t forget the lives he destroyed. He showed no compassion for those he drug through the mud and lied about. He made money off of the misery of others. He was a troll.

alan1tx | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:58 am 35

The problem with not believing in a “greater power” is that he and the rest of us are all equal in the end.

oldnslow | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:06 am 36

Thank you, Lisa. Well done.

thurbers | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:07 am 37

If there is a God, then I suspect that Andrew Breitbart is finding out about now that he was on the side of the demons not the angels. Otherwise I hope that he was actually self-sufficient and prepared and that his wife and children will not be dependent on a safety net that he actively tried to shred, although I will not be surprised to find that he has left them with little. Only for them am I sorry about his death – losing a loving husband and a father is terrible.

EvilDrPuma | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:08 am 38
In response to alan1tx @ 35

No, not really. Some of us can hope to be remembered well by a few. Breitbart will be remembered badly by many. Not exactly an equal trade in my book.

klynn | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:11 am 39

Lisa,

I am a little lost regarding the link in terms of my comment.

Again, I am thankful that your post reflected being a class act in light of the news. I am thankful to your for your post.

Let me know what you were conveying by the video link?

onitgoes | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:11 am 40

Breitbart and his ilk led my family by their propogandized noses into shouting (at me over the telephone) the most vile, viscious, nasty, vituperative smack when Ted Kennedy passed away. Breitbart & Limbaugh were all: hey, if the shoe fits…

There is temptation to “return the favor,” but as others here have commented, I try to behave better and with more maturity. I am sorry for his family.

That said, I’m not at all sorry that we won’t have to suffer from Breitbart’s insidious, lying bullshit anymore.

RIP

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:12 am 41
In response to klynn @ 39

The video link was mentioned in an earlier comment, so two of us posted it for anyone who was interested.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:12 am 42

I may have accidently hit your reply button rather than someone else’s. SOrry for any confusion.

szielinski | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:17 am 43

I wonder if Breitbart danced on Acorn’s gave?

FinnMacCool | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:20 am 44
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 3

I won’t be attending the funeral, but I will send a nice note to say I approve of it.

Laura G | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:33 am 45
In response to realitychecker @ 22

I agree. Andrew will not be missed; he was not respected; he was full of lies, hate and vitriol.

punaise | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:35 am 46

well, OK then. mum’s the word for now, if only out of respect for humanity in general.

ArlaM | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:35 am 47

Lisa – if you have lost a friend, then I am sorry for your grief and loss. I am not, however, sorry that someone who dedicated his life to destroying others has left the world.

What Andrew did to ACORN, what he did to Shirley Sherrod, was, and remains, unexcusable, unforgivable. Andrew was NOT a nice man. He may have been able to pretend he was to “friends” and family – but he was not a nice man. I do not share your grief, but I am sorry that you feel pain.

workingclass | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:43 am 48

I’m glad he is dead. So are most of you.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:59 am 49
In response to ArlaM @ 47

I strongly retched at what Brietbart did politically, and was out of touch with him for a number of years until the Nov 29 shut down of Occupy when I alerted him to the situation/shut down surrounding media presence, as he had been there the night before.

From 2000 through 2003 he was infinitely encouraging and supportive of my writing, though we were on very opposite sides of the fence. When I started at FDL, and he had his Big sites he sent me a note of congratulations for being visible and using my abilities.

Andrew had a huge PT Barnum side; he was bombastic, and caustic, and hurt so, so many people with his actions.

But I can’t be happy that he is dead. I can’t pretend to ignore the sorrow his family feels. But I think his death is game changer in politics and it will be interesting to see what happens next.

ksix | Thursday March 1, 2012 09:59 am 50
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 8

My, what a confused family:

Bean was blacklisted by the Hollywood movie studios in the 1950s for attending two Communist Party meetings, but made numerous appearances on television and in the theater.[4] A conservative Christian, he came out in support of the Proposition 8 ballot initiative in California.[5][6] He was father-in-law to the late Andrew Breitbart and jokingly describes his own children, who are all married, as “little communists[7]“. He was once a proponent of Orgone therapy and published a book about it titled Me and the Orgone.

orionATL | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:10 am 51

occasionally, not nearly often enough, contemporary american society gets lucky. so it is with the early death of andrew bratbart – republican cutthroat, dishonest videographer, right-wing propagandist.

his family and friends may mourn his death. there is absolutely no reason for any other american to do so.

stay planted, dude; you’re a lot more useful to society growing grass.

Phoenix Woman | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:16 am 52
In response to Gregory Gadow @ 7

If any right-wing pearl-clutchers show up, just show them his EMK obit and then ask why they didn’t criticize Breitbart over that.

Ludwig | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:16 am 53
In response to ksix @ 50

Yes, fascinating.

Is it possible that Andy’s vehemence was his demand for esteem? One must damn the mission and despair of the man.

Did he make his case against abortion?

monkeybreath | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:17 am 54

his passing reminds me of the old joke- I’d like to find out where he was buried to piss on his grave but i dont like standing in long lines.
Some of the most destructive people in history had family,friends and pets that loved them……BFD

storyofo | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:20 am 55

Andrew Breitbart was very misunderstood. People don’t realize he was three times the asswipe they thought he was.

Teddy Partridge | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:33 am 56

Class act, Lisa, we are very lucky to have you here to commentate on this topic from a personal perspective.

Me, I got nothing.

Anthony Noel | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:37 am 57

Andrew was an instigator, a rabblerouser

No Lisa, I’m sorry. Instigation and rabblerousing are high callings based on exposing the masses to the truth. Breitbart was a duplicitous soul who would not – and did not – think twice about packaging outright lies AS truth, in order to rally ConservaBots who will believe anything they see in print or on film.

Mourning is one thing. Praise, in this case, is indefensible.

wsmoke | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:38 am 58

Just goes to show, evil has it’s own rewards.

Sharkbabe | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:44 am 59

I hope he rests in the peace he didn’t want anybody else to have.

Condolences to the family and congratulations to the world.

A real shame it wasn’t Rush, but I’ll take it.

mrsanfran | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:44 am 60

Andrew Breitbart was not a journalist as I have heard so many people say.
He was a disinformationalist in the Karl Rove, Lee Atwater mold. He destroyed Shirley Sherrod’s career and drove Acorn out of business with bogus edited film making which he promoted on his site. He was a partisan Right winger not interested in reporting the truth, the core requirement of being a journalist.

mamazboy | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:51 am 61

I can’t pretend to care about the death of a vicious sociopath who brought down a worthy organization like Acorn and tried to destroy Shirley Sherrod, among his other crimes. I get so sick of people sending their “thoughts and prayers” and hand-wringing about the demise of a monster like this. I don’t believe our moral bona fides require such a reaction. If somebody is doing major damage to society, I say fuck him.

John Sherman | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:52 am 62

Yeah, when you think of the real effect his ‘reporting’ had on ACORN and the real people there who were really trying to help their fellow human beings–it’s hard for me to muster up sympathy for this guy.

mrsanfran | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:53 am 63
In response to mamazboy @ 61

Agreed. He was a scumbag.

Bushsucks12 | Thursday March 1, 2012 10:58 am 64

The saddest person about this news is that little pip squeak James O’Keefe…..he will have to get a real job now. Oh well Andrew Rest in Pea……..well rest anyway. Sorry your family has to suffer the loss but there are many people who are very happy that we won’t have to put up with your insanity anymore. TATA!

ThatGuy | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:08 am 65

Ya know, if Breitbart didn’t want people to celebrate his death, maybe he shouldn’t have been such an unmitigated anus.

I felt the same way about Jerry Falwell. He spread misery and bigotry wherever he went, with no regard for the people who suffered his misery and bigotry.

Breitbart was the same way, and even more egregious.

I once had a boss who tormented me. He felt intimidated by me because I was a better photographer than he was, and I was physically imposing. But he was the boss and he made sure I knew it every day. He was in every way you can think of, an unmitigated prick to me and there were more days than I can possibly remember where I sat in my car before my shift started, convincing myself killing him would be a bad idea today.

When he finally stepped on his crank one too many times and got shitcanned, I felt not a shred of sympathy. He brought it on himself. He spread misery to many people in that office, and no one shed a bitter tear when he finally departed.

Breitbart reminds me of my old boss, and I promise you, when I get home from work, I will lift a glass of $100 cognac to the corpse of Andrew Breitbart and imagine him in a three-way with Falwell and Ronald Reagan.

Is it classless? No shit. Is it the equivalent of what he did to Shirley Sherrod? Not a fuckin chance.

Karma’s a bitch Andy. You got what you had coming.

alan1tx | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:10 am 66
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 38

But in the end, equally nothing. You can hope while you’re on this side of the dirt that people will think well of you, but without a hereafter, Andrew knows nothing of his families love, or his detractors hate. The same will be true for all of us.

Bushsucks12 | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:16 am 67

“And in the end………the love you take….is. equal .to. the. love…… ………you make.” Beetles circa 1969

Mr. Breitbart was a hater.

Ludwig | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:18 am 68
In response to ThatGuy @ 65

How many bodhisattvas does it take to counteract one Andy Breitbart?

ThatGuy | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:19 am 69
In response to Ludwig @ 68

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Barefoot Accountant | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:22 am 70

Andrew’s death poses a question thinking Americans have been pondering since it was announced:

Can you rollerblade in hell?

The Barefoot Accountant

Barefoot Accountant | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:23 am 71

Can mental illness be fatal?

The Barefoot Accountant

Barefoot Accountant | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:24 am 72

I thought he didn’t look well recently. Did a house fall on him?

The Barefoot Accountant

Barefoot Accountant | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:25 am 73

I hope this starts a trend

The Barefoot Accountant

Ludwig | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:28 am 74
In response to ThatGuy @ 69

He was a horror.

Barefoot Accountant | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:50 am 75

Imagine being assigned the chore of writing this guy’s eulogy?

I would be at a loss for words since obscenity is ordinarily not allowed in Church.

The Barefoot Accountant

EdBradly7 | Thursday March 1, 2012 11:57 am 76
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 3

The day Senator Ted Kennedy died here are some of the following quotes from Andrew Breitbart:

“Rest in Chappaquiddick”

Breitbart attacked Kennedy mercilessly calling him a “villain,” “a big ass motherf@#$er,” a “duplicitous bastard” and a “prick.” “I’ll shut my mouth for Carter. That’s just politics. Kennedy was a special pile of human excrement,” Breitbart tweeted.

“How dare you compare Tony Snow & Reagan to Kennedy! Why do you grant a BULLY special status upon his death? This isnt lib v con.”

“Look, this man was granted absolution for nothing. Class, life station played a part but PARTY was everything. GOP couldnt get away with it,” Breitbart tweeted.

“IF a GOP possesses 1/100 of human failings of T. Kennedy he/she is TOAST,” he tweeted.

“In this moment I cant but recognize absolute backwardness of media & society. Bush=EVIL. Ted Kennedy=SAINT. I’m gonna keep fighting’, folks,” Breitbart tweeted.

These were all said by Breitbart on the day Ted Kennedy died.

I wonder how Breitbart would feel about such comments made about him on the day he died.

callingalltoasters | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:02 pm 77

So I guess Breitbart was an OK guy to people he knew. Congrats to Lisa on being one of the lucky few. Unfortunately, he was a vicious and dishonest shit to that hated Other: liberals, anyone who helps the poor, and especially blacks. But since I am one of those Others, I’m very comfortable in enjoying his passing and wishing him a nice long roast. He would have done the same for me.

TheOracle | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:02 pm 78

Rest in Peace, Andrew.

Based on videos I’ve seen over the past several weeks of Andrew Breitbart tearing into protesters and talking down Cenk Uygur on “The Young Turks,” I suspect Andrew had a heart attack or a blood vessel burst in his brain, causing him to collapse on the sidewalk down the street from his Brentwood CA home, dying at age 43. It’s as if his hyper-rhetoric over the past few weeks led to hyper-tension and higher blood pressure, and then something snapped inside his body.

Which made me think of Rush Limbaugh. He is displaying the same symptoms as Andrew Breitbart. Hyper-partisan, hyper-rhetorical, much older than Andrew was, but with a similarly large body type, hate talk all the time, condemning, which just makes me wonder how much longer Rush has. Rest in Peace, Rush. Right now, I mean, rest in peace, Rush, go Ghandi on all of us instead of going Goebbels on everyone else. Rest in Peace, Rush.

Maybe, just maybe, Andrew’s premature passing at such a young age will be a wake-up call for all the right-wingers like Rush, like Andrew was, who are in partisan attack mode all the time, no compromise, no mercy, essentially downloading all this right-wing venom into their own body. IOW, hate-filled thoughts and the resulting hate-filled rhetoric do have consequences.

golconda2 | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:18 pm 79

I’m glad he’s dead, the world is a better place without him in it. I sincerely hope Limbaugh joins him sooner rather than later.

trademarkdave | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:30 pm 80

scrawnykayaker | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:35 pm 81

Unfortunately, alan, wishing not to finish equal to Breitbart will not make it so. All too often, good guys finish last, and there’s literally no reason to expect otherwise.

fitley | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:51 pm 82

Who farted?

billyc | Thursday March 1, 2012 12:59 pm 83

I know the rethugs are saddened by the loss of one of their own. Cheer up, rethugs, you still have your hate.

scrawnykayaker | Thursday March 1, 2012 01:01 pm 84

@32 You are SOOOOO persuasive. Go tell it on Pharyngula.

eriks | Thursday March 1, 2012 01:04 pm 85

I ain’t gonna say nuthin’ when an asshole kicks the bucket.

Bro Tom | Thursday March 1, 2012 01:15 pm 86
In response to alan1tx @ 35

Why is that a problem? Believing in a “greater power” seems to offer people a false sense of superiority and too many take the offer. Therein is the sanctimonious problem.

scrawnykayaker | Thursday March 1, 2012 01:35 pm 87

Well said, Bro

wynota skunk | Thursday March 1, 2012 01:35 pm 88

Does anybody know what state he’ll be lieing in, Georgia or California? I understand ACORN has purchased a mighty oak casket and that former members will gladly throw back some of the dirt he threw on them these past years. I’m not sad in the least because his type of journalism does so much collateral damage. As Mark Twain said, ” A lie can go around the world before the truth can get its’ pants on. ” He did plenty of damage in the last 10 years: a minor fascist bites the dust. My sympathies were with his family and sick friends before his death and they continue, after.

szielinski | Thursday March 1, 2012 01:39 pm 89

…I think his death is game changer in politics and it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Ummmm, another narcissistic sociopath takes his place.

realitychecker | Thursday March 1, 2012 02:07 pm 90
In response to EdBradly7 @ 76

Fortunately, he’s not here to hear them. Heh heh.

otchmoson | Thursday March 1, 2012 02:09 pm 91
In response to EdBradly7 @ 76

“I’m more than willing to go off decorum to ensure THIS MAN is not beatified.” “Sorry, he destroyed lives. And he knew it.”

–Wonder if Breitbart recognized that some would think his words (above) would resonate with a different audience upon his own death?

scrawnykayaker | Thursday March 1, 2012 02:17 pm 92
In response to otchmoson @ 91

I think that level of reflection and humility is VERY rare on the far right. It’s probably pretty rare generally, but when you’re that self-righteous and ideological, whoa doggy!

ThatGuy | Thursday March 1, 2012 02:53 pm 93

I have a song for Andy.

Sung to the tune of the Beat Farmers’ “Happy Boy”

Andrew Breitbart just dropped dead
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba
Boy had something wrong with his head
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

‘Cause I’m a Happy Boy (happy boy)
Happy Boy (happy boy)
Ain’t it good that Andy died today – hey hey!!!

Right-wing assholes started to cry
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba
Even if there’s no reason why
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

‘Cause I’m a Happy Boy (happy boy)
Happy Boy (happy boy)
Ain’t it good that Andy died today – hey hey!!!

KilgourTrout | Thursday March 1, 2012 02:55 pm 94

Karma ? Maybe.

from the AP:

After Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts died in 2009, Breitbart tweeted, “Rest in Chappaquiddick” and called him “a special pile of human excrement.” When critics questioned his tone, he tweeted they “missed my best ones!”

scaypgrayce | Thursday March 1, 2012 03:07 pm 95

Some might be less inclinded to dance on his grave than to spit on it. It’s one thing to disagree; it’s something else entirely to be dishonest. And to engage in the kind of cruel mockery that so often appeared in his comments is disgraceful.

KilgourTrout | Thursday March 1, 2012 03:21 pm 96

with the things he said and did, he appeared to me to be filled with hate. I wonder where people like him acquire so much hate. Maybe he couldn’t get all the hate out of him, although he surely tried.

He should have never been given the platform that he was given by the media. After his fake videos were exposed, he should have been barred from all national media. He wasn’t. I do give credit to the AP for publishing today his quotes about Senator Kennedy.

Maybe he helped some people and was a civil human being to some people, like the author, that doesn’t give him a pass in my book. I remember a video of him shouting at a kid who was demonstrating somewhere. I felt sympathy for the kid he was shouting at and calling names. I hope that kid is doing a little better today.

scrawnykayaker | Thursday March 1, 2012 03:23 pm 97
In response to ThatGuy @ 93

Country Dick Montana is someone who’s young death I’ll lament. At least, his attempts to annoy and offend people were leavened with some humor.

lawguy | Thursday March 1, 2012 03:25 pm 98

Isn’t this more or less what you are saying about Breitbart

The Hangman at Home by Carl Sandburg

WHAT does the hangman think about
When he goes home at night from work?
When he sits down with his wife and
Children for a cup of coffee and a
Plate of ham and eggs, do they ask
Him if it was a good day’s work
And everything went well or do they
Stay off some topics and talk about
The weather, base ball, politics
And the comic strips in the papers
And the movies? Do they look at his
Hands when he reaches for the coffee
Or the ham and eggs? If the little
Ones say, Daddy, play horse, here’s
A rope—does he answer like a joke:
I seen enough rope for today?
Or does his face light up like a
Bonfire of joy and does he say:
It’s a good and dandy world we live
In. And if a white face moon looks
In through a window where a baby girl
Sleeps and the moon gleams mix with
Baby ears and baby hair—the hangman—
How does he act then? It must be easy
For him. Anything is easy for a hangman,
I guess.

ThatGuy | Thursday March 1, 2012 08:55 pm 99
In response to scrawnykayaker @ 97

Same here. Country Dick was an original and was all about having fun, being silly and having fun.

Breitbart was nothing but a piece of sub-human shit and I am as happy as I’ve been since Falwell cacked.

Jerry Falwell is buttfucking Andrew Breitbart in hell.