Late Night FDL: Any Early Bets on the Oscars?

Tomorrow we’ll be live blogging the Oscars beginning with the Red Carpet at 7pm ET (4pm PT) –a hard choice E! or ABC?– and then at 9pm ET (6pm PT), when the show starts. FDL is especially stoked this year as three of the five nominees for Best Documentary have been part of Movie Night –Hell and Back Again; If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front; and Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory.

So what nominated films have you seen? What have you seen that you think should have been nominated? Who do like for Best Actor and Actress? And for the supporting slots?

Will the French sweep their categories with The Artist? And then there’s the American battle of the heavy-weights: Scorsese vs Allen for Best Director, with three strong contenders in Terrance Malick for Tree of Life, Alexander Payne with The Descendents and The Artist‘s Michel Hazanavicius.

Oscar contender–and ten time nominee (making him the Susan Lucci of the Academy)–Martin Scoresese has made a list of 85 films you need to see in order to know anything about film. I’ve seen over half of them, thanks in part to my amazing high school teacher, the amazing Jim Hosney. I sat in on his classes in 7th, 8th and 9th grade, and then was able to take them for credit in 10th–and I did every semester.

48 Responses to "Late Night FDL: Any Early Bets on the Oscars?"
Suzanne | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:09 pm 1

lisa! which documentary do ya think will win? one of the 3 or one of the two that we didn’t get for movie night?

Adam503 | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:10 pm 2

I bet “the consequences” Sacha Baron Cohen has in store for being banned from the Oscars will funnier than the entire rest of the show combined.

tejanarusa | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:10 pm 3

What? Cripes, I know I hardly ever get to the movies anymore, so I haven’t paid much attention, but didn’t the nominees just get announced? And the Oscars are being awarded already?
Weird.
That said, I pay some attention (or did, when I saw lots of movies, and even called them films), but the Oscar awards ceremony? Dull, dull, dull; haven’t watched it in decades. I’m interested enough in clothing fashion and beautiful things of all kinds to check out the red carpet photos the next day…but watching arriving actresses be interviewed? Shudder. Torture.
Sorry to harsh the mellow, but unless you’re up for an award, I can’t imagine watching the show. Maybe someone can explain the appeal…

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:13 pm 4

Any Early Bets on the Oscars?

Not from me. I haven’t watched the Oscars since I last lived with my parents.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:13 pm 5
In response to Adam503 @ 2

What do people see in that clown?

tejanarusa | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:13 pm 6
In response to Margaret @ 4

Ha! I’m not alone. I s’pose we should lay back and wait for LLN….

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:23 pm 7
In response to tejanarusa @ 6

I’m hoping to not be awake for LLN tonight. This flu is really kicking my butt though so I probably will be.

tejanarusa | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:26 pm 8
In response to Margaret @ 7

Oh, yeah…forgive me, I forgot…you’re supposed to be in bed, staying warm and pushing fluids!
Feel any better than this morning?

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:29 pm 9
In response to tejanarusa @ 8

I can breathe. Almost. It’s an improvement.

dancewater | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:33 pm 10

One of the short documentaries is “Incident in New Baghdad”…. based on the WikiLeaks Collateral Murder video and Ethan McCord’s reports. I have not seen it, but I hope it wins.

Dearie | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:34 pm 11
In response to Margaret @ 9

Sorry to hear you have been laid low, Margaret. I don’t go to movies, but, call me a peasant, I love the Oscars and all the glitz and the inevitable gaffes. I just consider it part of my cultural edumacation….and I’m okay with that.

And, Lisa, kudos for having presented 3 of the documentaries for us. I’m appreciative.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:39 pm 12
In response to Dearie @ 11

Hey, I don’t fault people for watching the Oscars. I just have no interest in them myself. Thanks for the sympathy. I’ve got 24 hours to significantly improve or I’ll have to take another day off work.

Dearie | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:42 pm 13
In response to Margaret @ 12

Hope you prevail over the bug. Did you have a flu shot? I’ve always wondered if having a flu shot is really any help at all. Anyway, Hope you don’t have to miss work. And I really have enjoyed reading about your successes at your job. Gives me hope for others who are in this long struggle.

Shoto | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:44 pm 14

How about Double Indemnity?

I would also add The Lost Weekend.

Both pretty edgy pictures for their time…

tejanarusa | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:46 pm 15

I have been over at the link to the movies Scorcese mentioned in his interview…can’t resist a list. I’m sad to report that I’ve only seen 30 of the ones on the list. And there are some I’ve never heard of that sound intriguing.
These days I pretty much see movies on tv, either scheduled or DVD.

I wondered why you had Jason & the Argonauts as the clip…I thought that was just another of the costume pictures with scantily dressed musclemen that were everywhere in the early ’60′s. Guess next time it shows up I’ll watch it.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:47 pm 16
In response to Dearie @ 13

I did get a flu shot and it protected me very well from last year’s flu. Didn’t do squat for this year’s though.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:48 pm 17

Have I even watched a new movie this year? I don’t think so….

JaneaneTheAcerbicGoblin | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:52 pm 18
In response to Margaret @ 5

He is funnier than Russell Brand, though, whose appeal is a mystery to me.

Shoto | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:53 pm 19
In response to Margaret @ 16

I have yet to get my flu shot…my very first flu shot, ever. Track record so far is A-OK, so I’m thinking I’ll take a pass again, even given that whole “It’s only dead virus” spiel. I’ll take my chances with exercise, diet, proper rest…and five lbs of bacon with each meal.

What, the bacon angle seeming too radical? Yeah, prolly so. I’ll go ahead and throttle back to 4 1/2 lbs. Yeah….that’s the ticket.

applepie | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:53 pm 20

The Help is definitely worth seeing, and I hope it wins big.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:53 pm 21

Had to look that one up but I haven’t seen any of his movies at all.

Dearie | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:54 pm 22

By the way, Lisa, after reading the clip on your teacher, Mr. Hsney really is amazing!

tejanarusa | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:54 pm 23
In response to Margaret @ 17

I know I haven’t in 2012 – there are always a few I intend to see, but they don’t stay in theaters long enough for me to get there. Partly years of being broke, partly out of the habit now.

I did go to see an opera live broadcast in a movie theater for my birthday, though. It was fabulous. (although with the big screen, I kept focussing on details of the scrumptious costumes instead of on the singing)

I’m so old, I saw “McCabe and Mrs. Miller” first-run in the theaters.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:55 pm 24
In response to Shoto @ 19

Bacon should be served with every meal.

Shoto | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:56 pm 25

Completely off-topic, but I’d like to see David Brock brought in for one of the Book Salons. He has a new book out entitled, “The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network Into a Propaganda Machine.”

Here’s a radio interview with him from a few days back. Very good piece, I thought.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:56 pm 26

Wait…Potter 7, part deaux came out last summer, yes? I saw that one.

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:57 pm 27
In response to Shoto @ 25

David Brock has also completed the hero’s journey. He used to be a right winger.

Shoto | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:58 pm 28
In response to Margaret @ 24

That’s very solid advice. Will it be covered under “The Paul Ryan Plan?” ;-)

Margaret | Saturday February 25, 2012 08:59 pm 29
In response to Shoto @ 28

Maybe the Paul Ryan(‘s breakfast) plan…

Adam503 | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:01 pm 30
In response to Margaret @ 5

I see someone who has found clever ways to make society talk about some of it’s ugliest subjects. He’s taking cartoon minority stereotypes getting perpetuated by the elite power structure and brings them to life in all their absurdity right before our eyes.

sfmikey | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:05 pm 31
In response to Margaret @ 24

Bacon can make a cherry popsicle taste better.

Shoto | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:06 pm 32
In response to Margaret @ 27

That’s why the Fox wingnuts are throwing everything they’ve got at him, in an attempt to discredit the book before it ever sees the light of day. Hopefully, such mendacious efforts will ultimately blow up in their faces. Now, if only are that little bitch of a USAG would get off his fat ass and start playing rough with NewsCorp’s US operations. I’m going to take a SWAG that they know enough already to (at the very least) start making a few phone calls, and turning over a few rocks…

Shoto | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:08 pm 33

Gotsta bail for the night. Tomorrow is another day…or at least that’s the theory I’m going with right now… Nite, Pups of Fire.

JaneaneTheAcerbicGoblin | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:42 pm 34
In response to Margaret @ 21

that’s a good thing. He’s an obnoxious, unkept Brit comic who just divorced Katy Perry. His personal life makes more copy than his actual films.

Kevin Gosztola | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:44 pm 35

I’ve only seen about 19 of the films on Scorsese’s list, even though I’ve watched quite a few films. Many of those films are films that are part of film school curriculum or they are Criterion Collection films.

The Artist and Hugo are both films for people who really love cinema. I have not seen Hugo and so I have not been able to enjoy all the homages in it, but The Artist really is a celebration of movies. The Artist goes up against the grain of typical formulaic fare that a lot of studios seem to churn out on an all too regular basis.

Looking forward to your live blogging.

ChristineEdmonson | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:44 pm 36

I love The Descendants. I love this movie.

cmaukonen | Saturday February 25, 2012 09:45 pm 37

I’m not that into Oscar. Felix was a much more interesting character. Especially when played by Jack Lemon…

Oh…Oh…you meant THE Oscars…well…that’s very different. Never mind.

Mauimom | Saturday February 25, 2012 10:07 pm 39

I’ve actually seen a few of the nominated movies [unusual for me]. Yes, I too love The Help. [The book is 300 times better than the movie, and the RECORDED version of the book is 600 times better than that, but the movie's good. ]

I thought The Artist, while interesting is REALLY overrated — sort of like the “flavor of the month” in HOllywood, or “look how hip & relevant we are; we like a silent movie.” Definitely NOT Best Picture material, but I’m betting it will win.

I liked The Descendants. George Clooney plays George Clooney. It’s not knock your socks off, but it’s miles above The Artist.

Hugo is okay. Longer than it should be. Needs an editor.

Does anyone know if there’s a site at which you can watch live? The telecast is delayed 4 or 5 hours here. I’d like to actually SEE it, in addition to following the live blog.

AitchD | Saturday February 25, 2012 10:13 pm 40

Seen about 30 of the Scorcese’s & have 3-4 recorded not seen yet. David Thomson’s Have You Seen…? is a pretty good book with Thomson’s unique insights on a million movies. The only AA I’ve seen is Midnight In Paris, very early I thought I’d die laughing when Nina Arianda pronounced Sorbonne wrong and corrected herself wronger, but that was the last of the good parts. Did Carla get the role so her olman would clear a street or two at sunrise for some location shots? (Probably). Most of the Twenties schtick Woody already did, like verbatim, in his nightclub years. The record album is available at archive.org (The Night Club Years), very funny stuff that holds up.

AitchD | Saturday February 25, 2012 10:17 pm 41
In response to Mauimom @ 39

Does your computer have a video cam? You can do a video chat with someone stateside who’ll point their cam at their TV.

applepie | Saturday February 25, 2012 10:23 pm 42
In response to AitchD @ 41

Seems like a copyright violation to me. :>P

caleb36 | Sunday February 26, 2012 12:21 am 43

The Artist is a superlatively great film. It is a charming and profound look at old Hollywood through French eyes. The onset of sound in the middle of the movie is a metaphor for the traumatic changes induced by the emergence of our contemporary world just about at the time the silent film period was ending.

Though not normally a big Woody Allen fan, I also really enjoyed Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris, his first genuinely science fiction effort (Sleeper was a spoof on the genre), featuring actual, not imaginary, time travel.

Both of these films richly deserve Oscars, especially The Artist, probably one of the greatest movies ever.

Kevin Gosztola | Sunday February 26, 2012 12:28 am 44
In response to caleb36 @ 43

I like how you describe The Artist,

bluewombat | Sunday February 26, 2012 12:42 am 45

I liked “The Artist” — not wild about it, but I liked it — and I think it will be cool to see a (largely) silent film win best picture.

Am still unhappy with the Academy for choosing “Titanic” over “LA Confidential.”

applepie | Sunday February 26, 2012 10:00 am 46
In response to caleb36 @ 43

I don’t want come off all snarky like I did with my last comment (sorry, drunk on wine, late at night.)Here is my take on The Artist nonetheless.

The Artist is a good film. But for me the metaphor did not work. I interpreted it as being a parable about the modern clash between Hollywood and the New Technologies (viz. Internet.) If that is a valid assumption, then here is where it breaks down for me: the Silent Era gave way to the Talkies in an uncompromising way and consolidated power rather than distributing it (until, at least, the 70s.) Some made it through like Fred Astaire, some atrophied like Chaplin, some descended like Lugosi, and many others just disappeared. But in the The Artist, there was an overly-sentimental (although wonderfully acted and lushly filmed) plot that showed the upstart, Pepper, obliterating the past, The Artist (as the Internet is doing to Hollywood…if Hollywood were truly more artistic than the the Net!) Then, the upstart feels guilty and takes in the past and nurtures it, giving it all the tools to coexist in the modern world.

Is this happening? I don’t think so. Not with SOPA and MPAA. Unless this is clever irony designed to push Hollywood to accept the Internet completely, and I don’t think it is. What I was left with was a poor morality play (many silents were just that) about the old rich expecting the new creatives to take care of them.

The Help, for me was the most important film of the year. I also like The Flowers of War.

Just my 2 cents. Also The Oscars lost me when they went for The Hurt Locker over Avatar.

LaNona | Sunday February 26, 2012 01:21 pm 47

Ok I’m registered now and all ready to go when you start Live Blogging the Oscar’s at 4. We’re on Eastern Standard Time this afternoon.

LaNona | Sunday February 26, 2012 01:22 pm 48

Oscars. The apostrophe police came by.