Girl Scout Cookies: Teen Calls for Boycott over Transgender Scouts

I love Girl Scout cookies, but I usually forget cookie season until it’s too late and all the treats are gone. This year I’m making sure to buy a few extra boxes because a mean California Girl Scout named Taylor is urging a nationwide boycott of Girl Scout cookies over Girl Scouts USA admitting transgender girls into their troops.

In her YouTube video [which has now been marked Private], Taylor–who has been in the Girl Scouts for eight years–raises the trope of bathrooms and sleeping accommodations. And Taylor cites this statement from Rachelle Trujillo, vice president for communications of the Colorado Girl Scouts as the reason she’d like to see everyone stop buying Thin Mints:

We accept all girls in kindergarten through 12th grade as members. If a child identifies as a girl and the child’s family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout. If a child is living as a girl, that’s good enough for us. We don’t require any proof of gender.

That statement alone equals a purchase of two extra boxes of Savannah Smiles, plus a box each of Dulce de Leches and Samoas as a thank you to my dude roommate for putting out the garbage cans.

Taylor’s video is posted on HonestGirlScouts.com, a site which froths over with anti-LGBT and anti-sex education links, and demands that Girl Scouts USA:

(1)
ELIMINATE SEXUAL EDUCATION FROM GIRL SCOUT PERMISSION AND CURRICULA, leaving that aspect of life to each girl’s respective parent / family / guardian.

(2)
BREAK ALL ASSOCIATION, MEMBERSHIP AND FUNDING FROM WAGGGS (World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts), as they clearly demonstrate a friendship with International Planned Parenthood Foundation (IPPF) and its worldwide agenda of explicit sexual education for young children.

HonestGirlScouts.com also wants an end to cooking funds being used to pay

New Age consultants to train Girl Scout executives.

Transphobic Taylor cites a Girl Scout publication that says all girl-activities allow you to

Be yourself

Look how you want to look

which is exactly why transgender girls might wish to join their local troop. Girl Scout’s Rachelle Trujillo told the Baptist Press that:

Transgendered children are currently serving in Girl Scout troops in the U.S.

though she did not give details.

As my friend Victoria said in email:

Little bitch! Guess we will have to buy extra cookies this year,

a sentiment reflected in many of the comments on Taylor’s video. So support your local troop, Girl Scouts and transgender children by buying Girl Scout cookies.

15 Responses to "Girl Scout Cookies: Teen Calls for Boycott over Transgender Scouts"
HotFlash | Thursday January 12, 2012 11:01 am 1

I don’t see many badges on her sash, I had *way* more by the time I had been in 8 yrs. What I do see is a cross around her neck. Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

Elliott | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:08 pm 2

What a great excuse reason to buy a couple more boxes of Thin Mints.

lordgoogoo | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:09 pm 3

The girl who made this video is a perfect example of what Oscar Hammerstein II had in mind when he wrote the lyrics to “You’ve Got To Be Carefully Taught”.

Elliott | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:12 pm 4
In response to lordgoogoo @ 3

you are soo right.

Her stilted way of reading this made me think she was being egged on. Not that she doesn’t mean what she says, just that it felt (to me) as if she wasn’t in it alone.

Twain | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:18 pm 5

When children hate it is especially distressing because they do have to be taught – no one is born hating.

demi | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:31 pm 6
In response to Elliott @ 2

It’s a gift from the Goddess and she obviously wants us to help shut this little girl up.
Thin Mints for everyone.
It’s true that we have to teach our children well.
My son, who has had his sad of history of bullying over being On the Spectrum. It’s amazing how many times he’s come home from school to tell me he witnessed gay bashing at his HS.
It’s terribly sad.

RodL2 | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:35 pm 7

After this girl has grown up, provided she doesn’t go to Liberty U and then marry a bigoted pastor, she may well hold a press conference to admit that she was wrong, and apologize.
Meanwhile I’ll get a couple of extra boxes of cookies, myself.

RodL2 | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:38 pm 8

Twain @ 5:
How true. Nobody is born hating. People are born loving. They are taught hatred. This is a clear example of being taught to hate. How sad to see what appears to be a wholesome young person so corrupted.

waynec | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:44 pm 9

I hope this isn’t too inappropriate…

econobuzz | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:46 pm 10

Great post, Lisa. I haven’t ordered or eaten girl scout cookies in years — maybe decades — but I will do so forthwith.

econobuzz | Thursday January 12, 2012 05:48 pm 11
In response to waynec @ 9

In this case, it would be close to perfect if it read: Maybe next time you won’t buy the fucking cookies.

tejanarusa | Thursday January 12, 2012 07:09 pm 12
In response to Elliott @ 4

Oh, she is being egged on. This has been building for awhile-when I first read about it a few months ago, it was her mother doing the publicizing. Daughter was along for the ride, but everything came from the mom.

That being dealt with, I must say I’m even more horrified (tho’ not surprised) to see that they have now called for an end to sex ed in the girl scouts.

My Scout troop was exactly where I got the news…I can’t remember not knowing wwhere babies come from (my mom was an RN and I read her obstetrics texts…and looked at the pix…from an early age), but the biiig question in my day…was how did the babies get in there…

The scene is imprinted on my memory – at a regular meeting a Red Cross nurse came to talk to us about menstruation (we were 10 or 11) and showed us a film strip about it.
Then she asked if we had any questions. Silence.
Then…one of the DeH___ twins raised her hand and asked….and the nurse answered. Calm, cool, unflustered.
And being good little innocent fifties middle-class girls, we all went,
“eeewwww!”

nonpartisanliberal | Thursday January 12, 2012 07:50 pm 13

Conservatives have no tolerance for ambivalence or complexity, and are pompous enough to demand that the world remake itself to alleviate their fears and anxieties. I consider those attributes to be character flaws.

masaccio | Thursday January 12, 2012 07:51 pm 14

No dulce de leches, please. Extr thin mints, instead.

tejanarusa | Thursday January 12, 2012 08:05 pm 15
In response to masaccio @ 14

Absolutely. Thin Mints rule!!!!!