Late Night FDL: Newt Goes from Smoking Weed to “Smoke ‘Em All!”

Former New Mexico governor and barely-blipping GOP presidential candidate Gary Johnson resurrected the specter of Newt Gingrich’s doobie-dabbling and pot policy on MSNBC this weekend (though Johnson overstated Newt’s nonsense a bit). Here’s Newt’s most recent position, as of 1996, when as Speaker of House he introduced H.R. 4170 (Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996) to the House of Representatives, which sought to

provide a sentence of death for certain importations of significant quantities of controlled substances

including marijuana.

Gingrich–who had smoked pot while a grad student in the 1960s, and had advocated medical marijuana in 1982 explained his shift in position in 1995, stating:

See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.

He again emphasized his firm stance on weed in 1996:

If you import a commercial quantity of illegal drugs… it is because you have made the personal decision that you are prepared to get rich by destroying our children. I have made the decision that I love our children enough that we will kill you if you do this.

Oh heck, Newt Gingrich’s policy on pot could be simply, well job creation. You know, making America strong by buying American. But no such luck, as this video shows.

41 Responses to "Late Night FDL: Newt Goes from Smoking Weed to “Smoke ‘Em All!”"
DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:07 pm 1

Lisa!
Moral relativism, Republican style, is always soooo attractively self serving.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:10 pm 2

Like most Republicans, Newt loves to talk like a bigshot when it’s someone else’s guts spilling out.

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:10 pm 3

Newt will say anything that he thinks is in his interests. At least when Obama says ‘Fuck the hippies” we know he actually means it. There is that.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:16 pm 4

Seems to be Newticles’ standard operating procedure. Adultery was less immoral when he did it, too.

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:16 pm 5

Oh, crap. Did I break the internets again?

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:17 pm 6
In response to Dearie @ 3

Newt will say anything that he thinks is in his interests or pisses off liberals.

Fixorated for greater accuracy.

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:17 pm 7
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 4

No immorality at all….just Newtie being patriotic.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:18 pm 8
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 4

It would be a bit reassuring if it were just Newticles, but it is clearly the conservative modus operandi.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:24 pm 9

Uh-oh. Looks like it was my turn to break the intertubes.

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:24 pm 10

The truly delightful thing about either a Mitt or Newt candidacy is that both are guaranteed to return to a previous position, like a metronome, sometime during the campaign. So, yeah, legalize that shit, sez Newt!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:28 pm 11
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 10

The thing that bothers me about a Newt presidency is that he could easily run his own ego for VP and become the most powerful puppetmaster since Cheney.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:34 pm 12
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 11

However, there already glimmers that Newt’s 15 minutes is about up. Ron Paul is rapidly gaining on him in the polls. Which is absolutely delightful, since if there is a candidate left who is less electable than Newt or Mittens, it is Paul.

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:35 pm 13
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 11

The difference is that Cheney, sick fucker that he is, is actually smart and Newtie is faux smart. I often wonder why no one questions his inability to gain tenure, etc., etc.

jurassicpork | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:36 pm 14

Newt was known as quite the liberal during his early teaching days before Kennesaw State. Many fellow faculty members also said he was an insufferable bastard for a so-called liberal. If this man said the sky was blue, I’d still stick my head out the window to make sure.

Anyway, on the personal front, the Mrs. and I could use bit of help this Christmas. Any assistance would be mightily appreciated.

beguiner | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:37 pm 15

More situational ethics from Newt. Drug and adultery prohibition are for Democrats and hippies.

An extramarital blow-job for me but not for thee…
A post-graduate toke for me but not for thee…

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:37 pm 16
In response to Dearie @ 13

I’m wondering why the topic of his departure from the House seems to be verboten. Surely the overwhelming evidence of advanced crookery is of interest to someone.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:40 pm 17
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 16

He has been washed in the Blood of the Lamb and all his past sins redeemed. Haven’t you been keeping up on your Dominionist theology?

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:42 pm 18
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 16

And, really, how does he expect to avert/evade/avoid…..I suppose it is all a part of being a “born again Catholic”…..which as a no-longer-member-of-that-tribe, I find hysterically funny. Remember when Kerry was denied communion for being pro-choice? Newtie could adulter happily and become born again through the Romans…no wonder the rubes are excited by him.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:42 pm 19

Cuckoo, cuckoo! Newt signed a pledge not to commit adultery– side note, Rush says pledges are dumb

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:43 pm 20

From which (among other evidence) we can assume that Rush is still a pain-pill junkie.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:44 pm 21

Well, if there is anything that Rush is an expert on, it is dumb.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:44 pm 22

Okay, time for bed; I still have one more final to give in the morning. Peace out, y’all!

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:45 pm 23
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 22

Take care. I am not far behind you as i have one of those myself at 8:00am.

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:45 pm 24

What dimension are we in now???? I can’t keep up.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:47 pm 25
In response to Dearie @ 24

The twilight zone, I do believe.

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:48 pm 26

I hear a hypnotic music just behind me…… and a light…and……

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:52 pm 27

LISA!

*looks around for brownies*

Helloo!

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:57 pm 28
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 27

Quiet around here at The Fig tonight, Kelly, but good to see you. How’s life?

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 08:59 pm 29
In response to Dearie @ 28

Kinda all about pigs…..and pigs are good smoked. Or something like that.

DrDick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:02 pm 30

Time for me to toddle off. Take care all.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:17 pm 31
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 27

I have no brownies. I don’t take marijuana. I have a fevered enough grip on reality as it is.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:18 pm 32

I did enough looking at all the marijuana movies and clips on line to find a good one.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:19 pm 33

Night Dr. Dick!

I am getting an excel lesson online via skye while doing Late Night– multi-tasking

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:27 pm 34

did anyone what the Newt. John Jon Hunter Huntsman debates?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:27 pm 35

watch* the debates

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:32 pm 36
In response to Dearie @ 28

Pretty good – as well as can be expected, plus a little bit more.

I’m taking small pleasures as they pass by.

You?

Dearie | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:35 pm 37
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 36

All good. Headed for Montana … thinking I’d maybe better leave my sandals behind for now. Family calls.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday December 13, 2011 09:36 pm 38

Really? I can help with Excel any time.

In fact I’m working on my annual Knowledge Gift for Friends.

A usual New Years thing I do, and this one is about how to calculate, and why it’s useful, TIME in Excel.

gannonguckert | Wednesday December 14, 2011 12:05 am 39
In response to Dearie @ 13

Well, the whole tenure thing, I assure you, and I make this assertion as a matter of fact conforming to an historical paradigm, the issue was not tenure, but rather, a philosophical difference about the direction of American civilization, and whether we need to alter that.

lechero | Wednesday December 14, 2011 03:15 am 40

You know which other country gives a death sentence for possession? Iran. It’s amazing how these conservatives have so much contempt for Iran and an intense desire to go to war with Iran, but their vision of an ideal country is pretty much Iran with crosses instead of crescent moons.

maa8722 | Wednesday December 14, 2011 03:42 am 41

Newt needs to be pressed a bit more on this. A lot has changed since the mid 1990s.

How would he handle states which decide to decriminalize, or even legalize, MJ under their own statutes? That would not override Fed statutes; however, those those states could choose to opt out of cooperating with the Feds on enforcing Fed MJ laws?

Surely he’ll have something to say about it. Whatever that might be would surely be a flip or a flop from some past position, no?