Occupy LA: LAPD Limits Media Access

Monday night at 7:15 PT, the Los Angeles Police Department held a lottery to decide which media could be credentialed for the LAPD Occupy LA media pool, in anticipation of the next raid. According to a mainstream media source who was there, the LAPD only wanted to allow one media outlet per medium (print, radio, television), but was persuaded to allow three of each:

the only media eligible for pool were those who were on the LAPD press release list and able to get to headquarters with an hour’s notice. So very few were represented at the meeting. I asked about independent radio/blogs and they said that only media with LAPD-issued badges would be allowed in the vicinity. I asked about those already at the camp, and they said after the unlawful assembly order everyone who doesn’t leave will be arrested, even those who are journalists. Our attorney was looking into whether there were legal challenges to be made.

No independent/citizen media was in the grab bag of media outlets selected. The LAPD Media Relations Department declined to tell me who was in the media pool, saying it was not for publication. Someone had called earlier and had been given the names and told the POI officer that they would not guarantee non-publication, so the officer was very wary. Why doesn’t the LAPD want that information released?

However a media source not in the pool relayed to me:

ABC, NBC and AP Video are the pool.

A print media source whose outlet is in the pool told me that Reuters, the LA Times (whose offices are across the street from Occupy LA, and would likely be within the LAPD’s perimeter, so they sort of have to be included) and

I think, the Daily News.

The source told me his/her employers were consulting with their attorneys and with the LAPD about the police department’s

restrictions on how we would be operating.

He/she said that each outlet is allowed one reporter who must be designated in advance. There is a separate pool for photographers.

There is concern from media that the LAPD may want to review material before publication or broadcast.

Under the LAPD’s guidelines, the OccupyLA media team–which includes photographers, videographers, livestreamers and reporters–is not credentialed.

There is no Spanish-language media in the pool in a city where 4.7 million people are Spanish speaking. As Monday morning’s midnight-plus-one deadline drew near, there were news crews from the BBC and a Tokyo station present, as well as KMEX (Spanish language). I saw KTLA which was live streaming and had a helicopter overhead, KNBC, KABC, KCBS/KCAL and stringers in unmarked vans. Reporters I ran into included ones from the LA Times and USC’s Daily Trojan, and dozens of people live streaming and taking pictures for blogs and independent media. Oh and Andrew Breitbart was there talking to some dudes with scarves over their faces.

The media presence played a huge part in keeping things nice Monday morning. When Occupy chanted

The whole world is watching

they were pretty close to the truth. The revolution is being televised. And if it weren’t being beamed into TV and computers around the globe, would the LAPD have acted with such restraint? One would like to think so, but odds are maybe not so much.

Breitbart photo: Linda Patron, used with permission

Note: Keven Gosztola will be live blogging events through the night, so tune in at The Dissenter for updates.

16 Responses to "Occupy LA: LAPD Limits Media Access"
Cindi Burkey | Tuesday November 29, 2011 06:29 pm 1

Thanks Lisa for your reports and for posting this, I wrote about it as well, but didn’t see your post until mine was up. I put a comment on my post linking to yours.

So there’s lots of media interest in this and the LAPD is screening the media and apparently will be telling those select outlets *when* it’s all coming down–that’s the idea I’m getting here.

But can they legally say, no reporters allowed to do their thing here? I mean, this is public land, streets…this is not a private event.

Elliott | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:20 pm 2

Lisa is on her way down there – and Kevin will be updating at The Dissenter.

Elliott | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:29 pm 3

Cindi Burkey has info too

gordonot | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:34 pm 4

What, no Pravda?

gordonot | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:35 pm 5

From Dan Rather:

Tonight, if I can convince you of anything, it is to buck the current system. Remember anew that you are a public servant and your business is protecting the public from harm. Even if those doing harm also pay your salary.

To once again quote Ed Murrow, “There is a great and perhaps decisive battle to be fought against ignorance, intolerance and indifference … this weapon of television could be useful.”

And wouldn’t it be great if our country could get used to that.

Phoenix Woman | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:43 pm 6

Wow. Univision’s fine journalistic stable was snubbed, yet Breitbart is given pride of place in the LAPD’s Journalist Veal Pen? What, did they think they could have him infiltrate the gathering by pretending to be a crazy-assed drunken stewbum wandering around in a filthy snuggie?

nahant | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:57 pm 7

Great song for the Movement!

spocko | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:58 pm 8
In response to gordonot @ 5

Thanks for the link. I wonder what the rational are for who gets credentialed and who is not.

Are they rejected (or not accepted) because they aren’t “objective”?
If that is the case they why does Fox News get credentials?

Maybe FDL should have a procedure for credentialing it’s members covering events like this.

If Fox New’s slogan was, “Helping the GOP since 1996″ vs. Fair and Balanced would they still get access to events? If they were called GOPTV the free advertising they give to republican candidates would have to be listed as a donation and that would be limited (pre–Citizens United) to something like 2,500.

Let’s say I have a slogan for my blog
Vulcan’s Never Bluff.” Does that mean that people should trust me? No. Only if I prove it by my actions, otherwise it’s just a slogan.

Larue | Tuesday November 29, 2011 07:59 pm 9
In response to gordonot @ 4

Comment of the day, I’m LMAO!!!!!!!

:-)

Larue | Tuesday November 29, 2011 08:05 pm 10

So, LAPD did NOT raid Monday night?

Intewesting . . .

As to media access, if (when) the Senate and Executive legislate and approve police and military indefinite detention media access won’t matter as people will just ‘disappear’ like in Chile and Argentina, El Salvador, and other places and times.

All those who dissent in ANY manner, public, print, broadcast or internet, will be disappeared . . . ’til then, we bray like the encircled masses that we are!

Siun | Tuesday November 29, 2011 08:37 pm 11

watching good citizen journo here: http://www.oakfosho.com/

Cindi Burkey | Tuesday November 29, 2011 08:53 pm 12

Rumors keep swirling and it looks like tonight’s gonna be the night. For what it’s worth, I’ve found I’m unable to send tweets.

OldFatGuy | Tuesday November 29, 2011 09:02 pm 13
In response to Cindi Burkey @ 12

That’s interesting.

If these assholes have actually gone to the trouble of blocking tweets then right there’s all the proof you need to show this is no longer America. Anyone still holding out faint hopes that somewhere, someone in positions of government power aren’t fascists, this should end it if in fact it’s the government blocking them. Could just be a glitch.

Will be waiting to here from others on this. Very interesting… because if this IS government blocking, then you can rest assured we haven’t much time left on these intertubes either…

manys | Tuesday November 29, 2011 09:57 pm 14

twitter is fine.

bluewombat | Tuesday November 29, 2011 11:47 pm 15

Good, substantive report, Lisa. As someone who worked as a mainstream journalist back when that wasn’t something to be ashamed of, I’m astonished that the whole concept of “embedded” media has come home and that our corporate media are only too eager to play along (alright, maybe I’m not that astonished).

doglover | Wednesday November 30, 2011 07:30 am 16

Thank you so much for covering this. I think that the 1%ers are really pissed that Occupy would interrupt ‘their’ precious ‘holiday’ shopping days. I also am very suspicious of the media infringment, only the wacko rightwingnuts?