Occupy LA November, November

Occupy LA decided to build a portable garden for herbs and a winter vegetables. The Los Angeles Police Department would like the dirt filled boxes to not be there, and basically like the whole Occupy crew to consider relocating. Amplified sound is also an issue. It has to be off at 9pm.  The LAPD would like the protesters to be reasonable, given that the city has been very mellow.

That may be changing a bit, now that there have been two felony assaults on the Occupy campground, and some idiot dumped fluorescent paint on the marble fountain which had been walled off–the walls were then painted by Occupiers who designed a huge mural. Oh and stealing the Starbucks umbrellas during the rain–really dumb.

15 Responses to "Occupy LA November, November"
Suzanne | Sunday November 6, 2011 07:26 pm 1

thanks for the update lisa. your reporting on occupy la has been great!

Beerfart Liberal | Sunday November 6, 2011 08:00 pm 2

yeah. what suze said. hey suze! but as the movement grew, it was inevitable that some of the new people would be shitheads, right? shame because media is going to portray them as representative. 16 more peole got arrested at occupy orlando. they were ROR’d though. Last time was $500 bail.

CTuttle | Sunday November 6, 2011 08:10 pm 3
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 2

shame because media is going to portray them as representative.

No doubt…!

Here’s a small sampling from the Rightwingers…

From the NY Post… Post reporter spends an in‘tents’ night amid anarchy in Zuccotti Park…

And, some fresh bullsh*t from the Gateway Pundit… Head and Body Lice Outbreak Announced at #Occupy Portland Squatters Camp (Video)

cancercures | Sunday November 6, 2011 08:31 pm 4
In response to CTuttle @ 3

How cool of those campers to invite and allow the reporter (who much like a spy, doesn’t disclose who she really is) in, to share their food and resources with her. You think there’s any chance I could ever infiltrate top-level executives and have them invite me into their house and share dinner with me?

cancercures | Sunday November 6, 2011 08:35 pm 5

The narrative needs to stay on socio-economic justice. The real violence is coming from the police: New York, Oakland, Tulsa, Denver, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, any other city I failed to mention. How many people are kicked, beaten, and pepper sprayed by cops?

bluewombat | Sunday November 6, 2011 08:41 pm 6

Thanks for your reporting, Lisa. I went to the economic teach-in yesterday, dropped off $45 worth of cereal bars today.

Beerfart Liberal | Sunday November 6, 2011 09:05 pm 7
In response to CTuttle @ 3

the Post article is a hoot.

tovangar2 | Monday November 7, 2011 01:26 am 8

This from the linked LA Times article:

“we recognize that a number of the individuals who are on the lawn are not affiliated with the Occupy L.A. protest.”

I’m glad the Mayor’s office has admitted that. The city is hosting all kinds of groups on the South lawn at City Hall, the Tarp Tribe, the Star Tribe, the Sovereign Nation of Libertarians, random individuals, etc. some of which are very violent, unlike Occupy LA. Why? The others are not covered under the Constitutional rights to Free Speech/Assembly, only Occupy LA is and they are in a minority at the site and are victimized by the others. Occupy LA has no authority to throw the Mayor’s guests out, much as they might want to.

Neither the Times’ article nor this one states that any of the damage or assaults was the fault of Occupy LA, because they weren’t. Yet all trouble is blamed on Occupy LA by the media, because that is the spin they want to give it.

I sincerely wish the city would eject their guests, not affiliated with Occupy LA, and let the protesters get on with it.

texan99 | Monday November 7, 2011 05:56 am 9

Wait — how come the other groups aren’t covered by freedom of speech or freedom of assembly? How did OWS get exclusive rights to this public property?

ouroborous | Monday November 7, 2011 07:04 am 10
In response to tovangar2 @ 8

Yeah, I need to call BS on this. EVERYONE has the right to free speech and free assembly, whether we approve of their message or not. You may want to clarify or explain what you mean.

ouroborous | Monday November 7, 2011 07:12 am 11

In the bigger picture, here’s how I see this playing out.

1. Big Business and Big Media become very nervous because there are lots of raggedy people — not the right kind of people — camping out on their front doorstep calling for change. [Check, this has already happened.]
2. BB&BM try to use force to get these folks evicted; this fails and in fact there’s a backlash that makes the movement stronger. [Check, cf Scott Olsen.]
3. BB&BM wise up and hope/expect that if they ignore #OWS, they’ll go away. [Check, I believe -- the media isn't reporting as much on #OWS these days, or so it seems.]
4. Without a concrete, concise list of demands, #OWS degrades into a giant street party, without any positive focus. [Check, sadly -- most of the people I know talking about going to #OWS are talking about how "fun" the "scene" is... not that having fun is BAD, but when that's WHY people are going... your fate as a protest movement is sealed. True protest is not FUN.]
5. Inevitably, bad actors — agent provocateurs, trust fund wannabe-anarchists, right wing nutjobs, crazy homeless people, drunks, addicts — move into the #OWS encampments, and due to the laziness and right wing bias of Big Media, become associated with #OWS. [Check, happening now.]
6. Winter arrives, and the “fun seekers” go somewhere warmer and drier to party. [We'll see how this one plays out.]
7. The result of #4 and #5 is that a NEW media consensus builds up, supported by the public perception — that #OWS is mostly a bunch of stoners and layabouts, coupled with some truly nasty folks who prefer firebombs to discussion. As a result, the MOTU’s feel justified in calling in the goon squads, and the remainder of the #OWS support crumbles, and the modern protest movement suffers yet another dagger in its heart. [Sadly, I believe this is already playing out, just from listening to people talk about #OWS... "I used to support it, but now..." is a common refrain.]

We’ll see how my cynical scenario plays out. I could be wrong; I hope I am… But I don’t think I am.

Phoenix Woman | Monday November 7, 2011 05:30 pm 12
In response to ouroborous @ 11

Ah, you’re another of the “one demand” folks.

cindi_LA | Tuesday November 8, 2011 03:32 pm 13

Ya know, actually, I’m sensing the opposite of what ouroborous said…where people-in-general seemed doubtful before, it seems like more people are getting the message. It’s like they have had some time to get used to what Occupy is actually *saying* and it has begun to sink in.

There will be people who think it’s a big party and they’ll burn out at some point. But there are plenty of smart people out there who know in their hearts the game is rigged, or they sense it, and the only reason they haven’t gotten mad is that they think it’s *their* fault that they’re not doing better. There’s such a cult of individual responsibility in this culture that I know folks working two and three jobs just to keep heads above water and the mortgage paid, and they beat themselves up for not being the next Mark Zuckerberg and coming up with a way to get rich enough not to have to work two or three jobs…I think people are starting to realize, “maybe it’s not my fault I’m so behind.” Whatever is actually happening, I sense general-public-receptiveness is turning for the better and not the worse. And I was not so hopeful only, say, two weeks ago.

ouroborous | Wednesday November 9, 2011 04:23 pm 14
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 12

I may get the idea — that OWS is based more upon inchoate anger at economic and political injustice — but I don’t think that “society at large” does. That’s a bit much for “Joe Sixpack” to grasp.

We have to remember that we firebaggers are not quite representative of broader society, as much as we wish we were. Broader society wants soundbites, not deliberation and accord.

ouroborous | Wednesday November 9, 2011 04:24 pm 15
In response to cindi_LA @ 13

I hope you are right and I am wrong.