Occupy LA Day 19: Comic Jeff Ross Rallies Some Laughs

Stand-up comedian Jeff Ross, best known for his super insulting celebrity roasts, stopped by Occupy LA for a quick set peppered with obligatory jokes about the smell (even though there isn’t any, it keeps getting mentioned) and the place looking like a Phish concert, interspersed with inspirational words and some cracks at Oprah and the banks. Ross  had the help of a local homeless guy whose wisecracks, heckling and goofing off were pure comic genius. Ross said:

Any expression of free speech I love…You’re out here being  honest with yourselves. It doesn’t matter why you’re mad; desperation isn’t always articulate, we’re out here for all different reasons…I love what you’re standing for and for taking patriotism by the balls.

Ross’ set brought laughs and groans, he’s a slightly warmer, cuddlier Don Rickles, but things got a little weird when a guy jumped up for the open mic and told the audience that as sovereign individuals we don’t have to follow the laws, then handed the mic off to another dude who launched into ramble about something another, when a woman off to the side called buzz kill #2

a provocateur

and claimed he had been harassing her. The crowd then took up the chant of

We are the 99%

and the sound system, which is solar powered, died.

A retired policeman in uniform (they do film shoot detail), had come down specifically to see Ross perform. He said it was funnier than anything he’d watched on Comedy Central and that he felt it was a good thing people were expressing themselves at Occupy, and that things had to change.  The same sentiment was express by a man I spoke to who works for Los Angeles County government. He told me he didn’t think it was right that elected officials can retire with a pension that is up 150% of their salary and full benefits.

6 Responses to "Occupy LA Day 19: Comic Jeff Ross Rallies Some Laughs"
demi | Wednesday October 19, 2011 07:37 pm 1

Lisa!
I’m wondering why the LA Occupy threads don’t get a lot of comments.
Do people across the country hate LA? Just wondering, because I Love LA!
Thanks for the continuing….

bluewombat | Wednesday October 19, 2011 07:45 pm 2

I have a great (true) story involving both Occupy Los Angeles and Occupy LAUSD (the smaller movement spawned by the teachers’ union, UTLA, to camp out at district headquarters, which began last night).

About 9:30 last night, I popped by Occupy LAUSD. There were a few tents and about 10 people — a small but spirited bunch.

After I left, maybe 10ish, School District police showed up and started harrassing the protestors. Unbeknownst to them, however, there was one guy from Occupy Los Angeles there.

He got on his cell phone and placed a call to Occupy Los Angeles. Within minutes, 100 people had hiked up the hill from City Hall to School District headquarters. The school police, vastly outnumbered, withdrew.

Viva synergy! Viva Occupy Los Angeles!

Beerfart Liberal | Wednesday October 19, 2011 07:50 pm 3

I’ve been reading your stuff, Lisa, and it’s great. Sounds like a great thing out there. Occupy Orlando ocupants are still there. Day 4 or 5. Small but hardy bunch. Lots of rain yesterday. Not as bad as predicted though. Going to the 40′s tonight which Floridians don’t like. Word is OPD is going to take the tarps tonight. I was thinking—- Bloomberg figures OWS wil end when the weather gets cold. Hey OWS, like Jim Dooley used to say “Come on down!!” I’m serious. Cold weather occupations should just get up and come down to orlando and I hear tampa has a pretty good thing but not sure about that. Yeah, and liked the occu-pies the other day. seemed good.

demi | Wednesday October 19, 2011 07:54 pm 4
In response to bluewombat @ 2

Viva, viva, viva.
Thanks for the update. It’s the cellphone, twitter, feet on the ground revolution.
What part of LA are you hanging? I’m in the NorthEast Valley. Sylmar. Not all that close to downtown, but I was there about 5 weeks ago for a Hunger awareness rally and march.

cindi_LA | Wednesday October 19, 2011 09:10 pm 5

He talked about the smell and there isn’t one? Looks like a phish concert? I dunno. It sounds sort of not so friendly to me despite his other remarks. Had I been there I would have taken issue with being portrayed that way, I think. It’s a respect thing.

bluewombat | Wednesday October 19, 2011 10:58 pm 6
In response to demi @ 4

I live in Los Feliz, work downtown. Used to hang out with someone from Sylmar in the early ’80′s; those were good times.