Occupy LA Day 7: West & Smiley

And on the seventh day, no one rested! The camp has relocated to the south lawn of City Hall, and people were getting organized, holding meetings and talk circles and getting ready for a couple big guests, Tavis Smiley and Dr. Cornel West who were scheduled to speak at 5pm. There’s always something to do, help out the various camp teams, talk with people, pick up trash, get laundry done, go shower…

Some people went over to the Interfaith Communities United for Justice & Peace organized march and rally at the downtown Federal Building (there was a sister event at the Federal Building in Westwood). ICJP had organized a civil disobedience action, and FDL contributor bluewombat was a participant. You can read about bluewombat’s experiences here.

There was a lot of anticipation about the visitors who shot a segment for Countdown with Keith Olbermann before taking the stage where he told the several hundred gathered:

1% of the population controls 42% of the wealth. Something is wrong in America. The strength of the 99% is that everyone is affected. We are all colors, cultures, religions -atheistic and agnostic- we are all classes, civilizations, we are all genders and sexual orientations. Why? Because we believe that justice is something bigger than every one of us.

Saturday marks the one week anniversary of Occupy LA at City Hall. At 5pm PT Tom Morello will be part of a rally which includes music and speeches. Events are going on all day.

28 Responses to "Occupy LA Day 7: West & Smiley"
DonWilliams | Saturday October 8, 2011 05:23 pm 1

From Wiki: “West is a 1973 graduate of Harvard University and is currently employed as a Professor at Princeton University, where he teaches in the Center for African American Studies and in the Department of Religion.”

He’s the guy who helps sells the $150k diplomas that are worth nothing in the real world. He’s like Mr. Haney on Green Acres.

DonWilliams | Saturday October 8, 2011 05:25 pm 2

TAGS: keith olberman

Note to Lisa: Tags work better if the names, like Keith Olbermann, are spelled correctly.

econobuzz | Saturday October 8, 2011 06:24 pm 3
In response to DonWilliams @ 2

Note to Don: Your GED is showing.

Twain | Saturday October 8, 2011 06:52 pm 4
In response to econobuzz @ 3

Greatest line of the week. Way to go.

Shoto | Saturday October 8, 2011 07:06 pm 5

KO, Tavis Smiley and Cornel West. Brilliant segment. Thanks for putting it up, Lisa.

Shoto | Saturday October 8, 2011 07:09 pm 6
In response to econobuzz @ 3

Note to Don: Your GED home schooling is showing.

Hey…I’m just here to help.

econobuzz | Saturday October 8, 2011 07:14 pm 7
In response to Twain @ 4

I should add that GEDs seem to know more about Economics these days than the freshwater dudes.

defogger | Saturday October 8, 2011 07:14 pm 8

Cornell West is a great progressive.and only some semi-ferral simpleton would be ranting about him selling diplomas.Yeah econobuzz,line of the week.Caught Sonny Rollins on Tavis last week.

econobuzz | Saturday October 8, 2011 07:27 pm 9
In response to defogger @ 8

Thanks. x2

jayt | Saturday October 8, 2011 07:35 pm 10
In response to econobuzz @ 3

Your GED is showing.

lmao.

excellent, and thanks for the smile…

DonWilliams | Saturday October 8, 2011 10:32 pm 11

LOL…the children droning on about GEDs, as if the world didn’t exist before each of you special little snowflakes were created.

Good luck getting a job with that African American Studies BA that ran $150k. Maybe you can volunteer to protest about how unfair life has been to you.

DonWilliams | Sunday October 9, 2011 12:33 am 12

shekissesfrogs | Sunday October 9, 2011 12:53 am 13
In response to DonWilliams @ 11

Oh Snap! You SO burned them..:)

tongorad | Sunday October 9, 2011 03:47 am 14
In response to shekissesfrogs @ 13

MicheleC | Sunday October 9, 2011 04:43 am 15

Lisa, we hope to stop by Occupy LA when we ride CicLAvia today. I’ll probably be wearing my green L.A.Leggers shirt.

forest | Sunday October 9, 2011 11:01 am 16
In response to DonWilliams @ 1

We’re really scraping the bottom of the troll barrel, no?

Please get some semi-persuasive material that at least poses a small fraction of a challenge. What’s the point in not bringing your A-game?

Shouldn’t you be writing a letter to the editor of your local paper?

I think I saw someone on your lawn, better go see.

forest | Sunday October 9, 2011 11:07 am 17

I love Tavis and Dr. West for their gentle and indomitable way.

Thank you for posting this.

DonWilliams | Sunday October 9, 2011 11:58 am 18

“The cost of tuition at Princeton is $34,290 per academic year. If you want to live on campus, you will need to pay $6,205 for your room charge. A full meal plan will cost an additional $5,200. You will also need to budget an additional $3,495 to cover the cost of books, supplies, laundry, etc.”

Let’s do some math, children. ($34,290 + 6,205 + 5,200 + 3,495) x 4. Algebra’s probably still a year or two away for most of you, so I’ll help. The totoal is $196k and change…so I was off by a bit.

You tell me about the prospects of a kid with an African American Studies degree, with loads of valuable info taught to him by West, in the job market. Exactly how do you think he’s going to pay off almost $200k in student loan debt?

He can’t, so he goes to Occupy Wall Street, blames someone else for his poor life choices, and demands that all student loans be forgiven. Brilliant!

DonWilliams | Sunday October 9, 2011 12:05 pm 19

Uh-oh! It looks like the predominately white Occupy Atlanta crowd doesn’t want to hear a black man speak up:

The racism is not the least bit subtle.

DonWilliams | Sunday October 9, 2011 12:22 pm 20

The Occupying Children have spoken:

Marion in Savannah | Sunday October 9, 2011 05:45 pm 21

It’s so exciting to watch OWS spread.

forest | Sunday October 9, 2011 08:53 pm 22
In response to DonWilliams @ 20

You do know about those bragging on being agent provocateurs? Do you see your job to provide them backup and marginalize the voices of others? I don’t begrudge you the nickels you get per post, you probably have at least one mouth to feed after all. What I do take offense to is you not bringing us your A-game. Try smarter and maybe you’ll actually earn your pay next time.

DonWilliams | Sunday October 9, 2011 10:54 pm 23
In response to forest @ 22

Congratulations! Absolutely nothing in your post made any sense…quite an accomplishment!

Could you please repost in Coherent?

forest | Monday October 10, 2011 11:23 am 24
In response to DonWilliams @ 23

Was I not speaking in your language?

Your rants in this discussion suggest a capacity for critical thinking and analysis somewhere below that of a 3rd grader. I realize people with whom you associate probably told you that you are bright but there is a higher threshold here.

But heh, if bullsh-t is all you got, might as well spew it, am I right?

DonWilliams | Monday October 10, 2011 12:18 pm 25

Dude, you’re blabbering on with clichés like “marginalize the voices of others” and ridiculous nonsense about “nickels you get per post.” This is worthless nonsense. Why bother.

You can’t answer the tough questions, so you retreat to throwing pebbles. Run, forest, run!

Address this, or you will never be taken seriously:

forest | Monday October 10, 2011 04:08 pm 26
In response to DonWilliams @ 25

Let me set you straight. I have zero interest in you taking me seriously.

A common mistake is engaging anyone with as nonsensical a position as yours.

All it deserves is open ridicule. Most people just ignored what you said. They are probably the wiser for that. Not me, I am no longer interested in ignoring or treating stupid ideas with kid gloves.

Your stuck in dead end thinking. I can hardly imagine anything I could say would convince of how stupid what you said sounds. You probably won’t be able to take that other than personally, so be it.

The term liberal arts refers to a curriculum that imparts general knowledge and develops the student’s rational thought and intellectual capabilities, unlike the professional, vocational, and technical curricula emphasizing specialization. The contemporary liberal arts comprise studying literature, languages, philosophy, history, mathematics, and science.[From wiki definition]

You probably won’t understand the point of me saying what I said because you seem to be looking for validation of a silly idea.

Is the problem you seem to have your head up your ass with regard to, really about the program and the cost of that education? Should an Ivy League school not charge whatever it deems appropriate? Isn’t there more to an Ivy League education than the simple cost consideration that you seem so hung up on?

Ok, so what’s your point? Scream like a wanker about african american studies cost at an Ivy League and some insane toolishness about how that reflects on the person in question or are you simply off your rocker?

The “Brilliant!” comment is something I keep hearing from nutters, what is with you folks? What is your real problem? Are you jealous? Are you feeling guilty? Are you afraid that you are really a small human being and life is slipping by? Maybe you’re just here to spout nonsense and hope someone gives you a lil attention? I get it. This has been more attention than your opinion here deserved. Maybe next time, you will yourself make more sense? Either way, I expect so little in response.

forest | Monday October 10, 2011 04:14 pm 27

Don, if you really wanted to tarnish these people, you could have done so much better than such simple nonsense even though I imagine it sounds coherent to you.

And Don, if I am wrong about you, I’ll apologize, but I think it’s safe to say I’m almost certainly right.

DonWilliams | Monday October 10, 2011 08:17 pm 28

Now we’re getting somewhere.

“I suspect you are one of those people who think that the only college education that matters is one that turns into a job, seems fair for me to think that based on what you said. I sense you are saying there is no value to most liberal arts degrees. It would be strange for me to assume you only have a problem with this particular program?”

I am one of those people who thinks that if you take out almost $200k in debt to pay for a college degree, you might do a bit of investigation about the cost of repaying that debt and how much that $200k degree will help you do that.

“Is the problem you seem to have your head up your ass with regard to, really about the program and the cost of that education?”

I find it disingenuous to offer a virtually worthless $200k product to people who have to take out a loan to pay for it.

“Should an Ivy League school not charge whatever it deems appropriate?”

Should a bank? Or an oil company? Or a health insurer?

“Isn’t there more to an Ivy League education than the simple cost consideration that you seem so hung up on?”

Not when it comes time to pay back the debt.

“Ok, so what’s your point?”

If you take out a debt that you know cannot be discharged through bankruptcy, pay it back. Don’t whine about it. Pay it back.

“Scream like a wanker about african american studies cost at an Ivy League and some insane toolishness about how that reflects on the person in question or are you simply off your rocker?”

Who was screaming? Not me. I’m pointing out that a AAS degree is of virtually no monetary value, yet Ivy League schools entice people to pay $200k for one. PT Barnum would have called them up to compare notes.

“The “Brilliant!” comment is something I keep hearing from nutters, what is with you folks?”

You folks? Interesting. Couldn’t bring yourself to say “you people” to a man with the last name of Williams?

“What is your real problem?”

No problem. Just discussing the issues of the day. In fact, I enjoy answering the many questions of the uninformed. It’s my civic duty as an intelligent citizen.

“Are you jealous?”

Of?

“Are you feeling guilty?”

Never.

“Are you afraid that you are really a small human being and life is slipping by?”

My life is great and doubtlessly far superior to one suffered by a wound-up whiner like you.

“Maybe you’re just here to spout nonsense and hope someone gives you a lil attention?”

Uh-oh. You’ve slipped back into incoherent mode.

“I get it.”

Based on your posts, young man, there’s very little you’ve ever gotten.