Occupy LA Day 4: “Stay as Long as You Need, We’re Here to Support You”

Watch live streaming video from owslosangeles at livestream.com

The Occupy LA Livestream is up and running. When the mods are sleeping, there are re-runs of the past days: General Assemblies, marches interviews. And a live chat as well.

The LAPD has been cordial and all is well. Tuesday’s rain passed over downtown, but now on Wednesday, it’s definitely coming down everywhere. Heavy duty trash bags  are ready for the rain to cover signs; tarps are needed.

Yesterday, City Council president Eric Garcetti and fellow Council members Bill Rosendahl and Ed Reyes showed up to talk to protestors, along with Dennis Zine, a former registered Republican who told the Los Angeles Times:

It’s the right thing to do. We could just drive by them, or we could go talk to them.

Garcetti, who announced his run for mayor last month, told the protesters:

Stay as long as you need, we’re here to support you.

This morning Council Member Rosendahl will introduce a City Council resolution supporting the protesters.

SEIU leadership paid a visit, as did the janitors union. Both unions expressed support. Today Mayor Anthony Villaraigosa is supposed to drop by, but no time has been set. News crews were present again yesterday, and KFI640 AM talk show hosts John & Ken aired  a positive (for them) interview with an Occupier; they teased the piece by saying

Wall Street, something needs to be done about those goons.

Conservative-ish John & Ken are under fire for giving out the  business phone numbers of an immigration reform activist on air; the phone numbers were listed on a press release. Jorge-Mario Cabrera received  over 400 calls from angry, nasty and at times violence-proposing listeners  opposed to the DREAM Act, and there are demands for advertiser boycotts and for John & Ken’s firing.

Volunteers have secured a commercial kitchen and are preparing three meals a day. Donations of food are gladly accepted. The medic tent said toothbrushes would be very welcome!    Showers are becoming a necessity, with solar showers being discussed as an option. Handicapped porta-potties are coming on site, but donations are needed maintain the porta-potties; they cost approximately $3,000 a week. Recycling has been set up.

A hairdresser has offered to come down and give haircuts. An on-site silkscreen studio has been set up and is printing up tee-shirts, kerchiefs and patches. The items are made from donated fabric and tee shirts (turned inside out to obscure logos) and are given away. The guy manning the screens was wearing a hat printed with

1/21/2010 Never Forget

the date of the Citizens United Supreme Court decision.

I asked some office workers waiting for the bus at City Hall what they felt about Occupy LA. One man replied:

Freedom of speech.

Another responded:

Wall Street is a problem.

The woman in the group said:

This is good. We need something to change.

Painter Alex Schaefer was also there, completing a plein-air work featuring the buildings of Los Angeles in flames. Up in the corner on bare canvas was scrawled

Symbolism

Schaefer, whose painting of a burning bank caused some upset, sold the work for over $25,000 to an anonymous European collector via eBay. Two weeks ago Schaefer was outside the Federal Reserve building completing a painting of the building aflame, when he was questioned by the Department of Homeland Security, who like the police in the prior incident took down his information, hence the written note on his work in progress. Laughed Schaefer:

They are art fans!

My last conversation was with Michael who lives in South Central and spent 14 years in and out of jail and prison.

My mother is my guiding light. She never gave up on me . . .

he told me, as we transitioned from a discussion about the names of the four guardian angels of the elements. (Yeah, it’s LA which explains soooo much about why this is a mellow, proactive scene).

While I was locked up, I read and studied, I got my AA degree. I come here to Occupy LA every day and sit and listen. And I have been talking to people and on they want me to lead a teaching.

Occupy Santa Barbara has not experienced the same cooperation with the police that Los Angeles is enjoying. Last night two Occupiers in de la Guerra Plaza, a city park, chained themselves to a flagpole and were removed by the fire department after the police had informed the crowd earlier in the day that protesting/camping in the park at night was against city code. Eight people, including the legal observer were arrested, while others stood on the sidewalks and cheered.

Meanwhile, this from the Washington Post:

QUESTION: Have the “Occupy Wall Street” protests reached a level of the President’s engaged awareness? Is he sympathizing with the protestors? Is he concerned about the protests at all?

CARNEY: I haven’t discussed it with him. I’m sure he’s aware of it because he follows the news. I would simply say that, to the extent that people are frustrated with the economic situation, we understand. And that’s why we’re so urgently trying to focus Congress’s attention on the need to take action on the economy and job creation.

20 Responses to "Occupy LA Day 4: “Stay as Long as You Need, We’re Here to Support You”"
masaccio | Wednesday October 5, 2011 10:19 am 1

Obama the clueless. Maybe he can hire Bob Shrum to help him figure out a response.

Cynthia Kouril | Wednesday October 5, 2011 11:15 am 2

The LA gov’t is handling this so much more wisely than the NYC gov’t

Phoenix Woman | Wednesday October 5, 2011 11:27 am 3

This is a great way for LA to ever-so-gently tweak NYC. Especially as the LAPD chief, Bill Bratton, was forced out of his old job as NYPD chief by the jealous then-mayor Rudy Giuliani, who wanted to take credit for Bratton’s work in lowering crime rates in NYC.

demi | Wednesday October 5, 2011 01:39 pm 4

If a person, an Angelino, wanted to drive a van down with tarps or other donations, what would the best place be to contribute that?
Logistics in the Rain.

demi | Wednesday October 5, 2011 01:40 pm 5

Phoenix Woman…Irony from a Distance, I think.

Teddy Partridge | Wednesday October 5, 2011 02:20 pm 6

Glad to hear it’s going well, Lisa — thank you for your coverage!

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday October 5, 2011 03:31 pm 7
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 3

Bratton’s replacement, Beck is really cool too, more lowkey than Bratton, well liked and effective.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday October 5, 2011 03:38 pm 8
In response to demi @ 4

Demi: City Hall’s north lawn (Temple between Spring and Main). There is no parking right there, but I have found after 7pm you can park on Main between 2nd and 1st (one way northbound, i.e., running in reverse order, 3rd, 2nd, 1st). The brave could pull over on Temple between Spring and Main stop in front of the camp ground, toot and shout with blinkers on and have a handful of folks help unload, then leave in a hurry (after rush hour for this) but um, it’s a red zone, so at your own peril for that.

The blue tents are services, kitchen and medic.

Gentilly Girl | Wednesday October 5, 2011 04:54 pm 9

This is wonderful. Kinda expected the Santa Boobra response.

bluewombat | Wednesday October 5, 2011 05:37 pm 10

I’ve driven by every day since Sunday, bringing a pizza (and info about the ICUJP civil disobedience at the downtown Federal Building Friday morning). Today, I also brought a stash of cheap rain ponchos.

Am I correct in my understanding that the protestors were moved to the north side of City Hall from the south side because of a movie? I haven’t seen anyone filming on the south side.

Also, maybe this is just me, but they have kind of a penned-in, pinned-down look on the much smaller north lawn of City Hall; no room to expand. Have people at OLA talked about that?

cassiodorus | Wednesday October 5, 2011 05:39 pm 11

Thanks Lisa! Hope to see you tomorrow.

happytosharebutdamn | Wednesday October 5, 2011 05:55 pm 12

In the soon-to-be memorable words of our next President, Herman Cain:

Herman Cain to Occupy Wall Street protesters: If you’re not rich ‘blame yourself’

Bluetoe2 | Wednesday October 5, 2011 05:56 pm 13

Going to do some research to see about chartering a bus to bring citizens from mid-Michigan to one of the Occupy demonstrations. Even if it’s for a weekend. The demonstrations must continue and grow.

tovangar2 | Wednesday October 5, 2011 05:57 pm 14
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 3

LOL. No, we got rid of Bratton too. He was last seen sucking up to the British Prime Minister trying to get the job as Chief of London’s Metropolitan Police. He even offered to change nationalities. Needless to say he didn’t get the job.

Charlie Beck is the LAPD chief.

mzchief | Wednesday October 5, 2011 06:11 pm 15

Great post and kewl photos, Lisa.

mikew67 | Wednesday October 5, 2011 06:30 pm 16

As the Occupy sites grow, they should double as homeless encampments. That’s a base of several million, shafted by the 1%.

Balkingpoints / www

Phoenix Woman | Wednesday October 5, 2011 06:59 pm 17
In response to tovangar2 @ 14

Heh! My brains are leaking out my ears — I’d totally forgotten that.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday October 5, 2011 08:45 pm 19

The movie had permits for the south side in place for weeks, but the protesters will be back there this weekend. BIG Saturday rally at 5pm.

DonWilliams | Sunday October 9, 2011 12:51 am 20
In response to happytosharebutdamn @ 12

I’m not rich. I hold myself responsible for myself…imagine that!