Heather Mills, the former model/ex-wife of music legend, Paul McCartney may be  jumping on the hacking bandwagon and Piers Morgan is not a gentleman.

Mills claims her phone was hacked during Piers Morgan’s tenure at the Daily Mirror, something which already has come out, kind of, thanks to Piers Morgan’s own admission.

In  a 2006 article  for the Daily Mail, Morgan wrote:

At one stage I was played a tape of a message Paul had left for Heather on her mobile phone. It was heartbreaking. The couple had clearly had a tiff, Heather had fled to India, and Paul was pleading with her to come back. He sounded lonely, miserable and desperate, and even sang ‘We Can Work It Out’ into the answer phone.

On Wednesday’s BBC Newsnight, Mills said:

that in early 2001 she had had a row with former Beatle Sir Paul, who later left a conciliatory message on her voicemail while she was away in India.

According to Ms Mills, afterwards a senior Mirror Group Newspapers journalist rang her and “started quoting verbatim the messages from my machine”.

Ms Mills said she challenged the journalist saying: “You’ve obviously hacked my phone and if you do anything with this story… I’ll go to the police.”

She said they responded: “OK, OK, yeah we did hear it on your voice messages, I won’t run it.”

Why didn’t she go to the police then and there in 2001? It seems to have been a trend with celebs who were hacked to sue and threaten rather than go to the law, which would have shut the hacking down a lot sooner.

Mills added:

There was absolutely no honest way that Piers Morgan could have obtained that tape that he has so proudly bragged about unless they had gone into my voice messages.

Morgan countered with a CNN-issued statement:

What I can say and have knowledge of is that Sir Paul McCartney asserted that Heather Mills illegally intercepted his telephones and leaked confidential material to the media. This is well documented and was stated in their divorce case. Further, in his judgment, The Honourable Mr. Justice Bennett wrote of Heather Mills: ‘I am driven to the conclusion that much of her evidence, both written and oral, was not just inconsistent and inaccurate but also less than candid. Overall she was a less than impressive witness.’ No doubt everyone will take this and other instances of somewhat extravagant claims by Ms. Mills into account in assessing what credibility and platform her assertions are given.

Well, yeah, Heather Mills has some credibility issues in the past, as Popbitch points out, citing some of some her previous tales. PopBitch’s researchers discovered Mills:

claimed she called off an engagement because her fiance was gay, an MI-6 agent and that his mission was to undermine her anti-landmine work;

was told by her first ex husband he “couldn’t marry her until she did something about her compulsive lying;”

won an Outstanding Young Person of the Year award from the British Chambers of Commerce. The award doesn’t exist;

wrote that the owner of a jewellery shop in Clapham gave her a job on Saturdays, but he said “Everything she wrote about me was lies, I never gave her a job; she just hung around and made tea. She told me
her father was dead;

said she gave as much as 80% or 90% of her earnings direct to charities. Her tax returns “disclose no charitable giving”.

Despite this, her story of hearing the tape in 2001 may be true. And Morgan is certainly  pulling the traditional “bitch is crazy, bitch is lying” card to take the heat off of him by implying that Mills is a liar.

Sir Paul McCartney, on tour in the United States, obviously believes something is fishy with the Mirror, telling journalists:

When I go back [to Britain] after this tour, I am going to talk to the police because apparently I have been hacked.

I don’t know much about it because they won’t tell anyone except the person themselves. So I will be talking to them about that.

I do think it’s horrendous violation of privacy. I do think it has been going on for a long time and I do think more people than we know knew about it.

But I think I should just listen and hear what the facts are before I comment.

Granted Mills did leak a story about Paul McCartney to the press, and may have confabulated in the past, but the press also invented stories about her:

In 2009, after petitioning the Press Complaints Commission in the UK about being lied about in the press, five British tabloids (The Sun, The Daily Express, News of the World, Sunday Mirror and Daily Mirror) publicly apologised to Mills about printing false, hurtful or defamatory stories about her. Another tabloid (the Daily Mail), sent a private letter of apology. The stories in question were not those alleging prostitution, lying, or being a fantasist, but more recent untrue stories concerning her daughter, false allegations of a romantic relationship, false suggestions regarding cosmetic surgery, and false accounts of her spending.

In the CNN statement, Morgan says:

Heather Mills has made unsubstantiated claims about a conversation she may or may not have had with a senior executive from a Trinity Mirror newspaper in 2001.

I have no knowledge of any conversation any executive from other newspapers at Trinity Mirror may or may not have had with Heather Mills.

To reiterate, I have never hacked a phone, told anyone to hack a phone, nor to my knowledge published any story obtained from the hacking of a phone.

But Piers, you admit you heard a tape recorded phone message from Sir Paul to Heather Mills. Didn’t you, in spirit of journalistic query, ask how the message had been obtained? And if not, why not?

17 Responses to "Piers Morgan Resorts to “Liar, Liar Pants on Fire” in Heather Mills Phone Hack Claims"
Teddy Partridge | Thursday August 4, 2011 04:05 pm 1

Piers Morgan is vile.

CNN is in deep doo-doo with this awful hire.

Jane Hamsher | Thursday August 4, 2011 04:08 pm 2
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 1

He certainly owes a better explanation than he’s offered.

TobyWollin | Thursday August 4, 2011 04:22 pm 3
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 1

“The couple had clearly had a tiff, Heather had fled to India, and Paul was pleading with her to come back. He sounded lonely, miserable and desperate, and even sang ‘We Can Work It Out’ into the answer phone.” Morgan is practically licking his lips here – he loves playing the role of the gossip; this bit about singing into the phone, I’m sure, had McCartney positively shuddering with humiliation. Vile does not even begin to describe him and the others like him. They love playing the roll of puppet master.

Phoenix Woman | Thursday August 4, 2011 04:56 pm 4

If this is true, Piers Morgan is toast. Sir Paul is a billionaire and can, among other things, afford very, very good lawyers. He may well be the most single powerful person you and your buddies in Murdochville have hurt in the phone hack scandal.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday August 4, 2011 05:05 pm 5

Out flew the web and floated wide-
The mirror crack’d from side to side;
“The curse is come upon me,” cried

The Piers of Morgan-rot.

***

The first thing I would have asked the person playing me the tape was

How did you get this?

becuase really, that’s kind of important.

If the answer was “Hacking,” I’d have sacked ‘em because doing illegal stuff as a journalist makes you worse than the people you investigate.

If they wouldn’t tell their editor, I’d have sacked ‘em, becuase obviously there’s something wrong in how the material was obtained.

If the answer was “From the ‘lady’ in question,” I’d have run it, disguising my source.

No one was sacked, and the story didn’t run.

And no effing way would I have TOLD the story in print! That is just hubris of the first order. What a maroon!

Elliott | Thursday August 4, 2011 05:52 pm 6

Margaret | Thursday August 4, 2011 06:16 pm 7

LMAO! This is what you get CNN, for emulating FOX by hiring right wing ideologues.

laurastrand | Thursday August 4, 2011 06:26 pm 8

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving fellow.
Just sayin’

CTuttle | Thursday August 4, 2011 06:27 pm 9

Well, Isn’t Piers already chin-deep in this NOW Hackgate quagmire, to begin with…? What a Dickhead…! 8-(

CTuttle | Thursday August 4, 2011 06:30 pm 10

Hoisted by one’s Petard…! *gah*

CTuttle | Thursday August 4, 2011 06:31 pm 11

Aloha, Lisa…! Another awesome post…! *g*

Bluetoe2 | Thursday August 4, 2011 07:13 pm 12

Piers Morgan, and this is what passes for the 4th Estate in the U.S.? Pathetic

AitchD | Thursday August 4, 2011 07:24 pm 13

The real Paul died. His barefoot version took credit for composing Golden Slumbers and also won the 1970 Playboy Jazz & Pop Poll for electric bass, even though George or John played it on some of the Abbey Road tracks.

Still, great stuff again, Lisa!

fitley | Thursday August 4, 2011 08:37 pm 14

Piers shut your gob while you’re behind. You stupid tit if you keep going on about this people will see you’re full of shit. Zip it pinhead.

SaltinWound | Thursday August 4, 2011 09:03 pm 15

He does seem to be implying he got it from Heather Mills herself. But then in answer to why he did not run it, I guess the suggestion is that he felt bad for Sir Paul. I do not believe him, but I think that is the story he is selling here.

Lisa Derrick | Friday August 5, 2011 12:15 am 16
In response to SaltinWound @ 15

Here’s a how a tabloid editor w/should have set up the story if s/he had gotten the tape from Heather, even if he felt bad for Paul:

Sir Paul McCartney is heartbroken over a row with girl friend, model/activist Heather Mills. In a desperate bid to mend the their fragile relationship after she jetted off to India, the former Beatle franitcally called his ladylove, leaving pleading messages on her voice mail…

This can be construed from: Heather Mills leaving for India on a plane (reporter could have been-and are often–alerted via staff at airport, car services, looky-loos and so on who get paid for tips)
Any member of their staff (or frenemies) could have tipped Mirror off to a fight.
Logic of fight = phone calls which would have been gone voice mail since she was in the air.

And if the evidence of a fight was a hacked phone message, hopefully any tab report worth his gin would, instead of playing the tape–which is a total newbie sub-Jimmy Olson move–simply say to Heather

So, I heard you and Macca have been in a row. Is that why you flew to India? Care to tell us what it’s about? Are you breaking up?

and then follow the paragraph above, adding

Miss Mills refused to comment about the possible break up.(or whatever “I was in India on a mission of mercy, we’re completely in love you silly man, and whoever told you that is a liar! etc”)

And seriously, I have very little respect for celebs who didn’t go to police immediately on learning they were hacked and instead sought civil damages.

Bobster33 | Friday August 5, 2011 09:06 am 17

Your quote is mis-quoted. Its MI-6 not em-sixteen agent.