Late Night: Waltzing in Hell. Or Tennessee.

I have family in Tennessee. Tennessee is home to lots that is good about America: barbecue, blues, jazz, Elvis, the St. Jude Memorial Research Center/Children’s Hospital, not to mention some gorgeous scenery and important history. But gods have mercy on us, they are crazy there. And it is just getting worse.

The State Senate passed a bill which banned the word “gay” in schools. HB600–a bill which prohibits local municipalities and counties, including local school districts, from enacting local laws or school policies that protect LGBT against discrimination–has passed. There’s another bill pending,  pointed out by Blue Texan, which says

that teachers must be helped “to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses scientific controversies.” It also says that teachers may not be prohibited from “helping students understand, analyze, critique and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories covered in the course being taught.”

Controversies, like how The World As We Know It was formed when the Holy Unicorn pooped glitter? Or the debate about which came first Chicken Who Laid The Egg That Became The World, or The Egg Whence Hatched Chicken?

Intelligent design, creationism or Holy Unicorn poop, hopefully students won’t experience the effects of evolution firsthand via nuclear mutations, since their state (the only one that permits the commercial burning of nuclear waste) has accepted the “offer” of 1,000 tons of radioactive leftovers from Germany, after the Czech Republic passed on the nifty glow-in-the-dark goo, according to the ironically named Donald Safer, chairman of the Tennessee Environmental Council. Yes, they burn nuclear waste in Tennessee.

Uh, Tennessee has tornadoes. And floods. And prevailing winds.  Hot damn, welcome to hell.

146 Responses to "Late Night: Waltzing in Hell. Or Tennessee."
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:00 pm 1

Happy Solstice! I leave tomorrow for Glastonbury

Suzanne | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:04 pm 2

happy solstice lisa — hope ya have a blast!

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:05 pm 3

Will you be able to sending bloggy post cards home, Lisa?

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:08 pm 4

Great post. My ex was raised in AZ (before it went crazy) but was Tenn based. Tennessee is a beautiful state…..but kinda, not to be mean, backward. Well, I grew up in Houston (which was way more Southern than Texan) and I kind of think the whole South is kinda backward….no offense. I grew up Catholic in Houston and learned a bit about prejudice. Ya hoo….. and never went back. Want your kids to be stupid? Go for it.

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:09 pm 5

Come on! Even Tennessee isn’t batshit crazy enough to believe you can legislate words. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech…” ring a bell?

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:09 pm 6

Lisa! Happy solstice to you, too!

The Montana legislature passed a law prohibiting municipalities from passing human rights ordinances that went beyond the state law. This was directly aimed at overturning our human rights ordinance here in Missoula, which protects LGBT people (as the state law does not) and has overwhelming support in the community. Fortunately, our governor vetoed it (I think it was one of the ones he took the branding irons to).

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:10 pm 7
In response to mzchief @ 3

The fest has internets, but also 175,000 people; I am hoping to send dispatches from the muddy isle of Avalon. My b&b has no internet, but they do channel angels….I hit civilization on Sat in Dublin.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:11 pm 8
In response to Margaret @ 5

Tell that to the folks in my native state of Oklahoma.

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:13 pm 9

I loved your governor when he took his branding iron to those crazinesses! My daughter teaches in Bozeman and I want her to be safe from the loonies. I know the officials in Montana aren’t Democrats like we’d expect, but I am so thrilled that they are Democrats at all. God knows what the Republicans in Montana are like!

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:15 pm 10

Somehow this seems appropriate for tonight’s topic.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:15 pm 11
In response to Dearie @ 4

Thank you, Dearie! I have been to TN 3x for less than 24 hrs total. My relatives are very nice, church going people. I appreciate things about them. However, we may not see eye to eye about many things. We exchange cards on their holidays.

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:16 pm 12

Wow! Hope you enjoy yourself.

KellyCanfieldDenver | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:16 pm 13
In response to Margaret @ 5

There’s people, here on FDL, who think when you demonstrate their prejudice against LGBT folks that you “know everything.”

Freedom of speech really only applies to the en-franchised, doncha know.

masaccio | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:17 pm 14

Tennessee is really beautiful, and I loved living here when government was sane conservative democrat and moderate republicans.

I’m leaving soon.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:17 pm 15

God knows what the Republicans in Montana are like!

I do not think they are on speaking terms with God (at least not the one of the Gospels). Let us say that they make most of the rest of them look sane and sensible. Last session they introduced at least a dozen nullification laws and that was just the beginning.

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:18 pm 16
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 13

Freedom of speech really only applies to the en-franchised, doncha know.

And no doubt that’s exactly how the Roberts court will rule.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:20 pm 17
In response to Margaret @ 16

For all values of “en-franchised” = straight, white, Christian, affluent, conservative males.

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:20 pm 18

I spent three months in Tennessee in 1986. The only real complaint I have is I couldn’t get any decent Tex-Mex. Well, that’s not true. I couldn’t get any at all. DC has more options in that category.

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:20 pm 19

You forgot heterosexual.

masaccio | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:21 pm 20

In response to DrDick @ 6.

The legislature passed and the governor signed a bill overturning Nashville’s similar ordinance.

As I mentioned, I’m leaving soon.

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:21 pm 21

My first hubby was from Knoxville. We lived there for a year and then moved to Memphis for four years while he went to medical school. We were very young when we married. 19 and 20. I was shocked at how backwards Knoxville was in 1969. Hatfield and McCoy backwards. Maybe it has changed a little. Memphis was creepy. Really creepy. The mayor got in a bar fight over his girlfriend. He was married. But Tennessee is very beautiful.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:22 pm 22
In response to Margaret @ 19

straight, white, Christian, affluent, conservative males

Got it covered first thing.

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:25 pm 23

Crappola! Man I’m having a tough time today reading for some reason! Fuck! This isn’t the first time today I’ve missed something staring me in the face. Might not even have been in the first dozen times.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:26 pm 24
In response to masaccio @ 20

Sad.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:28 pm 25
In response to Margaret @ 23

We all have those days. I just always pray that they are not while I am in class.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:28 pm 26

Most excellent and the whole thing looks entirely rad! Have a fabulous time and I for one am grateful for any vicarious travel experiences. :-)

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:28 pm 27

Good for your governor! Woohoo!

Margaret | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:31 pm 28

Mine happened to me while at work. My self esteem and confidence suffered a lot this afternoon. No serious harm done except to my self respect.
Again: Crappola!

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:31 pm 29
In response to marymccurnin @ 21

You gotta love it! And I loved your cadence in that little snippet… I can’t remember the phrase that southern women use when putting someone down, but the way you laid out those words was just divine.

I also lived in Cincinnati….which is more Southern than Ohio-an. Our mayor, Jerry Springer, got caught out when the KY hooker he paid with a check (A-fuckin’-mazin’) ratted him out. He survived that indiscretion…..you know, a big ‘whatever.’

I found that I no longer could believe in a God when I lived in the South. How could a just and loving God allow for such deviance? But YMMV.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:32 pm 30

I kinda got into last night during movie night with Bob Emrich, a right wing preacher (Kelly you were awesome). I told him America is not a theocracy therefore laws that follow a certain faith should not be enacted upon the populace.

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:37 pm 31
In response to Dearie @ 4

Texas was made by Tennessee agitators. (And Tex Ritter ran for the US Senate in Tennessee.)

Tennessee has Vanderbilt U, nothing to sneer at. Duke is in the Deep South.

Southern (educated) English is the most beautiful sounding English there is.

I’m a Yankee.

KellyCanfieldDenver | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:37 pm 32

Lurves you, LaLisa!

I have to tell you, despite your notices, that when you have LGBT subjects in the movies, or whatever threads, I really won’t be respectful, ever again, under these circumstances:

At Any Time I See LGBT Marriage Inequality, I Will Go Full Dan Choi.

Full. Dan.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:39 pm 33

You are much gentler than I. I suspect I would have told him to take his sanctimonious, horseshit superstition and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:41 pm 34
In response to Dearie @ 29

Well, he made a career out of it!

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:41 pm 35
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 32

Personally, I think it may be time to go for the full metal Stonewall treatment. Then again, I do not have to pay the costs.

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:43 pm 36
In response to AitchD @ 31

I’m so curious: Southern (educated) English….not sure what that means. I think a Virginia accent is nice, but a guy educated at Georgia Tech or South Alabama City College…..not so sure. Most men, particularly, don’t sound very ‘educated’ if they speak southern. But, hey, that’s just me. Women seem to put their southern accents to good use … but men seem wimpy.

KellyCanfieldDenver | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:44 pm 37

“mealy mouth” put him and his precious feefees over the edge.

Funny that.

Taking rights away from a whole set of people was “a discussion” but “mealy mouth” and “hypocrite” made such a discussion “impossible.”

I really wonder what homos Jesus hates?

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:44 pm 38

Tennessee also has this going for them.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:46 pm 39
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 37

Well, we know he hate Republicans (Matthew 25:32-41).

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:48 pm 40
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 37

He wasn’t thrilled at my “meanie pants” either. It bums me out when people cherry pick the Bible. I mean. pick a translation and stick with it. And leave the polyester blends on the rack at WalMart while you;re at it!

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:49 pm 41

Hey pals, just checking in so late and not reading before 39 … how’s everything?

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:50 pm 42

And leave the polyester blends on the rack at WalMart while you;re at it!

They are an abomination!

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:50 pm 43

“Tennessee also has this going for them.” Maybe a FDL FP tomorrow.

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:53 pm 44
In response to AitchD @ 43

Nice to see some good labor news for a change.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:54 pm 45

Have a blast Lisa. We are leaving for London and Shropshire on Saturday.

KellyCanfieldDenver | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:55 pm 46

You know what? Pull one of these anti-marriage fundies on a debate thread here sometime.

My Biblical Latin and Greek are in excellent shape; limit them to the New Testament, you know the Jesus parts, and I will make them cry. Cry.

Particularly as regards Mark and Luke.

Jesus actually liked people, approved of them and their foibles, and actually enjoyed them. How odd.

I’d so invite Jesus to dinner, and endeavor to please him.

Bob Emmerich? No.

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:55 pm 47
In response to Dearie @ 36

It means the English spoken by someone who loves the language. Funny, I usually think of Southern women’s speech also, but I would include the well-known Charlie Rose (NC), Bill Moyers (OK/TX), Tom Wolfe (VA), and my grad school professor from VA.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:56 pm 48
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 32

I love when you go Dan Choi!

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:56 pm 49

Not only, but also: Good governance news.

milesscott | Tuesday June 21, 2011 08:56 pm 50

While Debbie Was Doing Dallas , Rick Perry is doing the whole state of Texas .What Homophobic, Jesus road Dinosaurs is doing Tennessee? You just a little frustrated.I heard that Noah with the Governor help is building an Ark in Kentucky. What you need is a ride on Noah Ark!

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:00 pm 51
In response to AitchD @ 47

Yes, good voices. When I think Southern, I sometimes think Haley Barbour and his lying lies….or that sniveling Bobby Jindal (Tho Mr. Nagin, for all his faults, has a nice speaking cadence.)

DrDick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:03 pm 52

Think I will toddle off. Summer finally got here and we are having gorgeous weather, sunny and in the 70s. Hiked 5.5 miles yesterday and a little over 3 today. Going to try for at least five again tomorrow. Take care all.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:04 pm 53

Have great hikes, Dr. D! Night!

Suzanne | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:06 pm 54

my second ex, the fundy, used to do that. the joke at the time was there were 3 versions of the bible, the old testament, the new, and the testament according to walter

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:07 pm 55
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 46

koine is easy, Thucydides is HARD
Jesus was a hell raiser, his ad men except Paul, not so much.
Of the NT, Paul and John’s revelations are the most difficult to read in greek;-)
Tennessee is beautiful but I find the hill people – those who live away from the river cities – impossible to agree or argue with. Tough minded backward, and so very sceptical of anything they’ve not heard before

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:07 pm 56
In response to Dearie @ 51

Whenever I read Faulkner aloud, I tried to combine Faye Dunaway and Bill Moyers. Faulkner’s sentences: Have mercy! They ‘sound’ very very Southern on the page.

Jimmy Carter I could barely understand.

Suzanne | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:08 pm 57

g’nite dr dick

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:08 pm 58
In response to Dearie @ 29

Ha! I am writing a novel set in Memphis, New Orleans, and Sonoma. All about southern women artists supporting one another and danger.

4cdave | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:10 pm 59

I’m not going to make it to the late night thread tonight, so here’s a little music (the “String Sisters”) for those so inclined…

These ladies are individually amazing, and together they are a big sloppy jar of awesomesauce. If you prowl around, the rest of the songs from that concert are there. I have the CD, but there is an out-of-print DVD these come from.

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:13 pm 60
In response to AitchD @ 56

Yep. And I’d hoped that we could sweep “nuculer” into the dustbin of history. But then we got phoney Texan Bush2…..and now we’re stuck.
If I never hear ‘nuculer’ again, I’ll think that maybe I’m wrong, and maybe there is a God.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:14 pm 61

all of you are so funny tonight ;-)
thanks for making me laugh!

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:14 pm 62
In response to 4cdave @ 59

wonderful.

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:15 pm 63

Why Patsy? (I love her!) Patti Page (The Rage, and the authoritative version). Mary Ford and her olman Les Paul. Norah Jones. Norah Jones and Bonnie Raitt.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:16 pm 64
In response to 4cdave @ 59

Awesome! Dig the pearl inlay violin. :-)

Suzanne | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:17 pm 65
In response to 4cdave @ 59

that’s great dave — thanks

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:17 pm 66

Anyone want to read a snippet from the book? two paragraphs or so?

KellyCanfieldDenver | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:18 pm 67
In response to kspopulist @ 55

“koine is easy, Thucydides is HARD” HAH!

Good one!

4cdave | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:21 pm 68

This was actually the cut I was looking for. The whole concert is just great.

CharlesII | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:21 pm 69

Jesse Winchester has a much better Tennessee Waltz:

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:24 pm 70
In response to Dearie @ 60

Ike always said ‘nuculer’ — and that was when it was newish! He was Southern from OK. Tsk. It takes a lot longer to say it right than wrong. Ike was always in a hurry to say simple things in a very complicated way. While we’re at it, I think it was Peter Jennings (a Canadian drop-out) who made English shift its pronunciation of ‘negotiate’ from the ‘sh-’ to the ‘s-’, and I think it’s because he fed on the OED, which shows a spelling (but NOT a pronunciation) of ‘necociate’. Now we hear ‘sos’l security’ and ‘assosiate’, etc., because of his elegant ignorance.

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:25 pm 71
In response to marymccurnin @ 66

You mean here? Sure. (Or anywhere — link?)

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:25 pm 72
In response to marymccurnin @ 66

would love to!

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:26 pm 73
In response to 4cdave @ 68

Ooooh! LIKE!

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:27 pm 74
In response to kspopulist @ 72

k. It is a dream sequence:

Even though it was early in the afternoon, she was tired from her work. The bed was toasty and comfortable. Ruthanne fell into a dreamy boundless sleep that aroused images of African American boys in catholic school uniforms walking home in the tired Faubourg Treme. The little men of her dream paraded down the steamy streets, tap dancing their way into her heart, and singing the blues while their beautiful young mothers blew trumpets in the background of the reverie. The boys sang in their soprano voices and called to their daddies to come play in the game of laughter and music. But no daddies joined in song. They had all disappeared into dreams woven into dreams.

Ruthanne woke from the extravagant blooming bed and realized that this was not the first time she had this dream. Years before, she had been startled from her sleep by a horn blowing out in the street. She had sat up quickly to recall this same fantasy with sons and mothers and music. Until today, she had given it little consideration.

KellyCanfieldDenver | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:29 pm 75

-What we crave is a certainty that we’ll never have.
-What we lust for is a human closeness we’ll always chase, but rarely admit, and hardly achieve.

It’s the new definitions we’re working on; the problems are the same old ones.

4cdave | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:29 pm 76
In response to AitchD @ 63

Norah Jones and Bonnie Raitt. Two great tastes that taste great together! A great version.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:31 pm 77

I’m recognizing Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh from Altan.

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:31 pm 78
In response to marymccurnin @ 74

R U a fan of Louis Armstrong?

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:32 pm 79
In response to AitchD @ 78

Allen Toussaint

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:33 pm 80
In response to 4cdave @ 76

“‘Certes’ said I” — Shakespeare (Othello)

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:33 pm 81

I have linked to this several times. It is my favorite song evah.

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:35 pm 82
In response to AitchD @ 63

I love Norah Jones.

Dearie | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:35 pm 83

You run a mighty fine salon, Lisa. I have no idea where you started, but this has been quite enlivening.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:37 pm 84
In response to marymccurnin @ 79

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:38 pm 85
In response to kspopulist @ 84

dreamy.

4cdave | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:40 pm 86
In response to marymccurnin @ 81

Keep linking to it, it’s a great song.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:40 pm 87
In response to marymccurnin @ 74

there’s a lot here. Wish I could pack so much so simply in so little space! my head gets in the way – ha!

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:40 pm 88
In response to marymccurnin @ 79

Is that an answer? I figure since we have Louis who needs Jesus?

Sidney Bechet?

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:42 pm 89
In response to AitchD @ 88

Louis played a big part in my childhood. I remember seeing him on the tv in New Orleans. He seems to be everywhere.

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:43 pm 90

And I remember Pete Fountain.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:43 pm 91
In response to marymccurnin @ 74

is there more? I wish there were :)

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:44 pm 92
In response to marymccurnin @ 74

To my mind you write the way the Timmins of Cowboy Junkies ‘write’ and perform. Are you familiar with them?

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:45 pm 93

Congresswoman Seeks to Limit ‘Sponsorship’ Fundings
by Jason Ditz, June 20, 2011
| Antiwar Forum
With the Pentagon claiming its budget, the largest military budget in the history of humankind, is woefully undersized, new scrutiny is being brought by Rep. Betty McCollum (D – MN) over the massive amounts the military is spending on sporting events.

Decals = $20 million in taxpayer dollarsHundreds of millions of dollars are spent each year sponsoring everything from baseball and basketball broadcasts to professional wrestling, fishing events and especially NASCAR. Indeed, the National Guard spent $20 million in 2010 just to sponsor Dale Earnhardt Jr.

The Army spent nearly $8 million sponsoring another racing team, while another $16 million was spent sponsoring the “Outdoor College Fishing Tour.” The military spends so much on professional wrestling that the WWE has its own webpage on the National Guard’s website, and vice versa.

Officials argue that the money is a “recruiting expense,” but Rep. McCollum cited in particular the Air Guard 400, a racing event held in September at a cost of $645,000 in sponsorship fees. Though the military insisted the event was a success because it led to 439 “lead information” collections, they also conceded that only six “qualified leads” were among them, and not a single one enlisted.

Rep. McCollum has previously sought to require the military to obtain Congressional approval for sponsorships beyond $250,000, which was shouted down in a voice vote. With spending increasingly at issue (McCollum noted that the massive sponsorships continued even after Congress defunded a program for homeless vets), it is likely to continue to be a bone of contention going forward

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:45 pm 94

I love them. I used to throw the front door open and sign with the recording much to the embarrassment of my daughters.

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:47 pm 95

i live in Tn…it is no worse than Fl,from where i came

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:48 pm 96

we cant help it if the whole country went batshit after 9/11

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:48 pm 97
In response to sadlyyes @ 95

But Florida is just so —- wet.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:48 pm 98
In response to KellyCanfieldDenver @ 75

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:49 pm 99
In response to marymccurnin @ 90

good eve
love Pete Fountain,and Nora Jones

4cdave | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:51 pm 100
In response to mzchief @ 77

I’ll leave you with one last piece before I toddle off to bed.

Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, Michelle Wright, and Iris DeMent doing a version of Will the Circle be Unbroken. Always a nice way to end a show.

Good night, peeps. Be good to one another. Happy Solstice.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:51 pm 101

Kelly: “In general, what is hard to swallow is that the Ancients were much like us, in fact, hardly indistinguishable on a psychological basis.”

I totally agree

“-What we crave is a certainty that we’ll never have.
-How we treat others is nearly always at the least we’d like to be treated, or worse.”

agree again.
but
“To the extent that people claim we’re in the “most important political cycle in history” I’m all “meh.””

mostly agreed, we are taking such reckless advantage of the earth, in this way I think we are causing great damage… weather, biomes, loss of species etc, nukes: in this way we may be at a pivot or at least farther out on that limb than we really have a yardstick to measure. And our ‘psychological disregard of it’ is so stoopid ;(

“No, what we’re in is in a “definitional” stage; do we want new, crisper, and more humane definitions, since we now all see a bunch of the same contours, where we haven’t before? That answer is yes.

It’s the new definitions we’re working on; the problems are the same old ones.”

Same substance, new context. Same skin, but with new choices because of that new context, imo

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:51 pm 102
In response to marymccurnin @ 97

Fl…has gone round the bend…it is a circus freak show

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:52 pm 104
In response to marymccurnin @ 81

“And why is that?” — Alice Munro

Hopefully, the answer will be in your novel.

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:53 pm 105

Norah is Ravi Shankar’s daughter. I think that is so cool.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:53 pm 106
In response to marymccurnin @ 90

my dad used to love Pete Fountain!

and that AT st james infirmary is my favorite — thanks for finding it for me! :)

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:54 pm 107
In response to marymccurnin @ 105

yup

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:55 pm 108
In response to kspopulist @ 106

I met Pete once in Memphis. I was young. He was old. We intersected for 30 seconds and I remember it. He doesn’t. Or didn’t.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:56 pm 109
In response to 4cdave @ 100

Nice, 4cdave, and thank you. Happy Solstice/High Holy Day. Niters. :-)

Suzanne | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:57 pm 110
In response to 4cdave @ 100

g’nite dave

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:57 pm 111

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:57 pm 112
In response to marymccurnin @ 89

I was three or four when he died, my mom told me and I cried. I thought he was sooo cool.

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 09:59 pm 113

aaww. Being a child is so full bodied and wide open.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:00 pm 114
In response to sadlyyes @ 95

this is good for me to hear that it ain’t too bad for you in TN sadlyyes

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:00 pm 115
In response to marymccurnin @ 105

The first DVD I bought and the first Norah music I bought was her New Orleans music DVD. That was ten years ago. Her hair is so much shorter now.

Her father is (reputed to be) Ravi Shankar, but I can’t imagine saying that she’s his daughter. It implies a bond and a presence. But what do I know?

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:02 pm 116
In response to AitchD @ 115

Ron has played with Ravi Shankar when he was at the Ali Akbar Khan School of Music in San Rafael. Ron used to play the tabla drum.

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:03 pm 117
In response to kspopulist @ 114

much better than bizzaro world Fl…much better

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:04 pm 118
In response to sadlyyes @ 111

Yeah. But. I never downloaded it bc it’s OOS (out of sync). GDI!.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:04 pm 119

The whole family was nuts for Louis Armstrong.

When You’re Smiling” – Louis Armstrong

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:05 pm 120
In response to sadlyyes @ 117

Where do you live in TN?

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:05 pm 121
In response to marymccurnin @ 116

teh cool

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:06 pm 122
In response to marymccurnin @ 116

Is Ron who we see in Monterey Pop?

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:06 pm 123
In response to marymccurnin @ 120

East,Tn…along the App.Trail…it is beautiful

marymccurnin | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:08 pm 124
In response to AitchD @ 122

Nope. Or if it is, I didn’t realize it. :)

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:11 pm 125
In response to mzchief @ 119

It’s great to see Louis fans at FDL.

kspopulist | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:11 pm 126

thanks Lisa, this has been fun tonight aqui en la figa! :)

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:13 pm 127
In response to AitchD @ 125

So much excellent musicianship, so little time. :-)

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:14 pm 128
In response to AitchD @ 125

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:15 pm 129
In response to mzchief @ 127

I stream (via iTunes Radio) a French jazz radio station that plays Louis all day long…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:18 pm 130

Night all, off to sleep for a 4:30 am pick up.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:20 pm 131
In response to AitchD @ 129

Sounds subscriber only but nice to know something like that is out there. Maybe some day I’ll get to Preservation Hall.

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:21 pm 132

Niters and happy travels, Lisa.

AitchD | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:21 pm 133
In response to sadlyyes @ 128

One of mine too (other versions of his, live). I have K.d. Lang and Tony Bennett’s version in my car (most of their CD is Louis’s stuff).

I have the impression that Louis covered more songs than anyone.

(Right now I’m hearing his ‘Sugar’ on the French jazz radio station.)

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:23 pm 134

have a wonderfull time,safe trip

sadlyyes | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:25 pm 135

oh my 1:23….niters all sweet dreams

mzchief | Tuesday June 21, 2011 10:27 pm 136

Niters sadlyyes.

Bluetoe2 | Wednesday June 22, 2011 03:17 am 137

Sounds like Tennessee is the Bavaria of the U.S..

beguiner | Wednesday June 22, 2011 06:00 am 138
In response to Dearie @ 29

Springer got caught trying to pay for the prostitution services using a 3rd party check. Frank Zappa made a special song about it.

pineywoodsfats | Wednesday June 22, 2011 07:32 am 139

I was born in Memphis and left many years ago.

I always think of Memphis as a wonderfully weird, culturally bizzaro city, far more interesting than my current home in the upper midwest. And politically, along with Nashville, those two towns are far, far more democratic and progressive than the rest of the state. Perhaps not saying a whole lot . . . . .

Matthew Detroit | Wednesday June 22, 2011 08:21 am 140

They’re crazy everywhere. Let’s all drop our status-conscious (embarrassing) high-handedness about which state sux, etc. 99% of humanity cannot choose where they live–and most of humanity would find it repugnant as well as impossible to up and leave family, friends, and community because somewhere else looked, in some utterly vague way, more liberal. The fact that Americans used to move every two years helped spawn this nonsense; it did nothing for the making of community or solidarity, that’s for sure. I used to live in San Francisco, but all the people of color are now gone, driven out, by both hostility and high prices; the white people who are left still think they live in the world’s most progressive place, while across the bay in Oakland all the misery is now housed (lots of more progressive activity, too). Progressivism has to be about something more than what you consume (including a privileged landscape) being in some way superior to what other people consume.

Okay, bit of a rant, but I’m trying to think this through, reacting (esp) to some of the bone-headedness I see at DailyKos. :)

Matthew Detroit | Wednesday June 22, 2011 11:01 am 141
In response to Dearie @ 4

Explain this to the millions of Black people moving back to the south, being driven from the northern cities (see today’s NYTimes). They are once again “humanizing the landscape,” as Walter Rodney put it. Also see the recent NYTimes piece analyzing a study that showed there are more openly gay couples in southern cities than anywhere else. Gross generalization, generally, gross.

Matthew Detroit | Wednesday June 22, 2011 11:09 am 142
In response to Matthew Detroit @ 141

I think I must have been anticipating some of the display of ignorance that was coming about the south, etc. that this diary elicited. I have lived in the south for a decade now and grown very tired of my northern liberal friends not knowing (for ex.) that segregation is much more pervasive in northern cities than here, and that day-to-day relations between Black people and white people here are often much more comfortable in the north, where my white friends are all for the IDEA of Black people generally, but know few or none, let alone have them as real friends. Anyway, given that where I live is also stupendously beautiful and relatively unexploited, I should keep my mouth shut and not induce more people to come. I lived in Barcelona, Dublin, NY, and then SF as a young man, and there were few places that could match my memories of those cities before they were hollowed out by chain stores and “urban renewal.” Let’s all scratch a little deeper, people! Liberal prejudice is only a millimeter better than the conservative brand, not that different in the end. . .

metro222 | Wednesday June 22, 2011 11:38 am 143

Ok Matthew Detroit. A short time ago I went”head to head” with another southern who admitted to me that the “culture is very different in the south” as I had stated to her. And I don’t say this with hostility. The south is different in so many ways …its like Europe. All these countries are butted up against each other but they are different countries with different cultures and individual governments. Imagine throwing all of them together. In the good old USA, we are all tucked in together as one…..and I believe that this is causing our down fall. Life , I believe would be so much different for my family and I if we lived separately from the southern states. The politics, the religion, the schools, the attitude on everyday living is so much different than how we view life in other parts of the US. You send politicians to Washington that affect my life and as I get older it is really getting tougher for me. Look , I know I am just dreaming…but this is a conversation I have had with many people , a sort of “what if” scenario. At first they laugh at the idea of a separation from Southern states but after thinking about it they too don’t think its not such a bad idea. Go Rick Perry…..leave today.

Matthew Detroit | Wednesday June 22, 2011 01:04 pm 144
In response to metro222 @ 143

This is the very opposite of developing–or seeing–solidarity with other people, understanding what you have in common with them. It overlooks the degree to which reactionary southern attitudes have come to permeate the white middle-class and poor worlds, for one. It overlooks the long history (yes, you have to dig for it) of cooperation and solidarity between whites and Black people in the south. And it overlooks–crucially–not only the fact (this is a common cause of ignorance at DailyKos) that some southern states are more liberal, now, than many in the midwest, etc., but that–as across the country–it is a matter of 6 to 8 points in the polls that separates Dems from Repubs in almost every state, north and south, year in and year out. Florida, for example, has more registered Dems than Republicans, a lot more at this stage, and continues to trend Dem; the Republicans have the state gerrymandered such that they have a stranglehold on state politics.

Much easier, as a liberal in your nice house to say eew! when you see a poor white person than to admit your common humanity, rather than find common ground. But nothing changes until you do. Meanwhile, don’t let the facts get in the way of your prejudices–clearly, they are as strong as any white southerner’s!

Matthew Detroit | Wednesday June 22, 2011 01:09 pm 145
In response to Matthew Detroit @ 144

The fascinating thing about liberals is that they’ve got it all figured out. Their truths, like those of conservatives, are eternal verities. Therefore, miserable or incomplete or in need of updating as their educations might be, they’ve got nothing to learn from anyone else. The old humble ‘What can I learn from this person, however poor or different’ is a thing of the past. From there, it’s easy to look down on everyone. It’s narcissism basically, but it’s your right!

Matthew Detroit | Wednesday June 22, 2011 01:14 pm 146
In response to Matthew Detroit @ 145

Btw, I don’t come by these convictions about N and S idly. I grew up in the North and my parents were civil rights workers and peace activists; I marched with them from age 7 or 8 on, and I have the legacy of Dr. King in my bones. I have taught in Tuscaloosa and Tallahasee, and traveled in all the lower 48 and Hawaii. I have continued to march and militate all my life and now work with small farmers in the Caribbean. I have taken the measure of American racism, and find it as much in the cozy white isolation of most liberals–sometimes more often than in died-in-the-wool Republicans. Tell us about YOUR convictions, and how you come by them.