Alec Baldwin, Hizzoner of NYC?

Photo of Alec Baldwin by david_shankbone licensed under creative commons

Alec Baldwin is rumored to be eyeing Gracie Manor in a starring role as mayor of New York City in 2013 election. Congressman Anthony Weiner had been favored as the Democratic candidate to replace Michael Bloomberg, who will face term limits in in 2013. Sadly, multiple online philanderings may have shafted Weiner’s dreams.  Baldwin, the star of NBC’s 30 Rock, has said he will retire from show business in 2012.

A “close friend” of Baldwin’s told the Daily:

“Alec said, ‘Hey, maybe this changes the race. The dynamics have shifted.’ The Democrats need a high-profile candidate, and Alec can fill that bill.”

In January on a CNN in interview with Elliot Spitzer, Baldwin (who has been busily tweeting his thoughts on  politics) said he was “very interested” in running for office, telling the former New York governor:

I do believe that people want to believe that someone who deeply cares about the middle class … would like to seek public office.

He also pointed out that guys who went to Ivy League schools haven’t been doing the greatest job running things of late.

In 2010 Baldwin, who once dreamed of attending law school, delivered a speech at commencement for his alma mater NYU  after  receiving an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree.  He spoke of the need for commitment to family, self and society.

By the way, Baldwin doesn’t think Weiner should resign.

Photo of Alec Baldwin by david_shankbone, licensed under Creative Commons

16 Responses to "Alec Baldwin, Hizzoner of NYC?"
OldFatGuy | Wednesday June 8, 2011 09:30 am 1

Heh, the SECOND he enters the race it will be like a hammer to a right winger’s knee, and the “Hollywood Liberal” meme will be out in full force!!

Still amazes me how they can denigrate Hollywood types in one breath and worship Saint Ronnie in the next.

But then again, if there’s one thing that’s consistant, it’s that right wingers are inconsistant.

Ehrenstein47 | Wednesday June 8, 2011 09:32 am 2

Fabulous!

I think all former “Studio 54″ waiters shoudl run for Mayor.

Bluetoe2 | Wednesday June 8, 2011 09:35 am 3

Hell, I’m ready to vote Baldwin for President. President Putty has got to go!

AitchD | Wednesday June 8, 2011 09:40 am 4

I totally loved Junior (and everyone) in Miami Blues, and then a few years ago Junior kinda felt the same way about Sarah Palin, he was totally smitten and said so offstage when she was on SNL.

heycoachb | Wednesday June 8, 2011 09:47 am 5

I’d prefer him in Congress!

Monitoring Right Wing Lunacy

OldFatGuy | Wednesday June 8, 2011 09:48 am 6

I do disagree with him on Weiner though. (Just saw that)

eCAHNomics | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:03 am 7

Geez, whose next for politics, Paris Hilton?

No one serious remains in this country who is willing to run for office: crazies, actors, billionaires.

Wadda choice.

jurassicpork | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:07 am 8

Hey, he can’t possibly be worse than the triangulating, militantly anti-smoking zealot and erstwhile Republican boob currently in Gracie Mansion.

A personal note: Details are here but let’s just say D-Day really was D-Day for us when we got our bank account rifled by the Mass DOR and left us high and dry for our rent. So anything you can do would be helpful so we don’t get evicted, which at this point is a very real possibility.

lordgoogoo | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:07 am 9

Have people forgotten his hateful telephone rant against his own daughter? I know the gop hasn’t.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:09 am 10

What are his stands on the issues. Whats his platform if he runs? NY is pretty Dem it does not matter who our candidate is if we lose NYC we can expect President Sarah if voter anger is that bad.
But other than that I don’t expect to worry about who the Mayor is unless he is Truly Left then I will fight for him.
He has to attack all the things Obama has not done to get my vote. I do not expect any Dem to attack Obama but they can attack what he has not done.

PeasantParty | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:14 am 11

Another fake Dem? I thought he was so much for the republicans in the past that he got in front of the camera every chance to champion them.

You know, at this point I’d vote for him. I’d vote for anybody besides a full fledged, teahadist and Obama/Benito!

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:20 am 12

Geez, whose next for politics, Paris Hilton?

Could she be any worse than Reagan? :) Empires fall when celebrity becomes more important than ideas. Arguably the GOP fell when they elected Reagan the country got worse the rich got richer the middle class shrunk. The GOP is still dominated by Reagan’s failed policies and every GOPer running for President last election wanted to be the new Reagan despite the fact most voters younger than me or heck my age but much less politically involved remember much about just who Reagan was.
Selling yourself to a political brand name that has expired is like getting all worked up about the film ET sure it made tons of money in its time and everyone talked about it but today well when was the last time anyone saw ET on cable?
JFK there are a ton of movies and tv mini series made even now. Reagan only has star power for the 30%ers and us on the Left who hate him.
I bet FDL loses younger people when ever we do a Reagan post. The opposite of love is not hate but indifference and Reagan is as indifferent to most voters younger and less politically aware voters as ET is to movie buffs.
I hope the GOP keeps talking about Reagan this election.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:23 am 13

An idea to help Alec cities and states should run up debt and boost spending to create jobs if the Feds won’t.

watajob | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:27 am 14

Kinky Friedman “How hard can it be?”

onitgoes | Wednesday June 8, 2011 10:52 am 15

heh… I remain skeptical but open to hear more.

More celebrities in politics leaves me feeling not so great having just endured Ahhhhnold, the multiple philanderer (fwiw), as the Governator… a most *unspectacular* governor, to put it incredibly KINDLY. And a huge big fat wet kiss-up to Bushco & permitting Ken Lay/Enron to RIP ME OFF, all the while also saying that he (Ahhnold) was so filthy rich that he’d “look after the interests of the middle and working class.”

Yeah, right: pull the other one.

It seems like the popular thing these days: talk “big” about looking after the “small fry.” And then once in office, turn-coat into sucking up to the elites. I’ll believe Baldwin when I see him doing differently. Sounds to me like he’s taking his role of Jack Donaghey too seriously or something….

TracyMose | Wednesday June 8, 2011 02:24 pm 16

Makes sense. His first love was politics and law. I say go get it Alec!