FDL Membership: Kicking Ass, Taking Names

Become a Member of Firedoglake
GOAL: 1,000 New Members

Support our one-stop shop for in-depth news coverage and hard-hitting activism.

Have you joined FDL? It’s easy and costs less than–depending on the membership level you choose–a pint of ice cream a month. I joined. And I love ice cream. My now-leaner thighs thank Firedoglake.com.

Firedoglake.com kicks ass as well as thinning my physique and lowering my cholesterol. Everyday I am amazed at the energy and results produced by my brother and sister bloggers who make serious political change happen by motivating, prodding, embarrassing, cultivating and DOING!

You can help by joining. And if you’ve already joined, or donated, thank you. Encourage your friends to read us, and spread the word (and maybe give a membership to a friend or family member).

There’s a bunch of personal, look-at-me-La Figa reasons I am asking you to do the deed and join:

I am thrilled that every Monday night from 5pm to 6:30pm west coast time I get to turn people on to great, fun, thought-provoking movies by awesome filmmakers–a healthy percentage of which are festival award winners. And some of which end up nominated for Academy Awards. Along with asking questions of directors like Louis Psihoyos and Joe Berlinger, readers have interacted with pop culture figures like Exene Cervenka, Mike Watt, Margaret Cho, John Cusack and Danny Elfman.

FDL lets me write about stuff that I care about: Art, culture, weirdness, religion. I got to point out that Courtney Love solved the mortgage crisis and that maybe Bruce Springsteen shouldn’t be selling his album at WalMart (a story which got picked up by many outlets and prompted an admission from the Boss that he’d made a mistake. Um, duh). Along with celebrity stuff which is fun, I also actually made a difference a few times, like with the Mean Prom where comments on that post drew the attention of the ACLU, which amended their complaint against the Itawamba County School District to include the remarks. The case was won on behalf of Constance McMillen, the lesbian student who wanted to bring her girlfriend to the prom and wear a tuxedo, actions her school strove to deny her.

Mr. Bruce celebrates new FDL members!

Earlier this week, I posted a story about a Facebook page that celebrated pitbull fighting, and asked that readers report it. Today the page has been pulled. That’s because of you, because of the community of FDL readers, the same community that spoke up to support Marcy Wheeler’s astounding investigative reporting, the same community that supported Michael Whitney’s boots in the oil slick reporting from the BP spill in Louisiana, the same community whose outrage and support has given hope and a small measure of fairness to Bradley Manning.
I write a lot about religion, a subject that–like it or lump it, believe in it or not–is at the root of all of humanity’s good and evil and the foundation of culture as we know it, everywhere in the world. Here at FDL, I also get an outlet to strongly support LGBT rights. It is patently unfair that all consenting adults cannot live and love as they please, that all cannot not experience (if not enjoy) the same rights I can.

We are almost fully funded by our readership, and so I’m asking you, if you haven’t already, to join as a founding member, at whatever level you can. Each level comes with swag, but more than that, you can swagger proudly knowing you are helping maintain independent media (free of corporate yuckiness!) and fueling Firedoglake’s kickass activism.

For $45, you can become a Friend and participate in planning coverage and activism. You’ll also get Invites to exclusive FDL chats and discussions and discounts at progressive retailers, plus you can connect with other community members, plus a really cool membership card and FDL stickers. At the Benefactor level, you get all that, plus the choice of a tee shirt or a very groovy tote. Wanna go bigger? For $1,000 the Gosprey Circle level offers both a shirt and tote, and all the other goodies, as well as an invitation to the annual FDL dinner where you’ll meet our writers and editors, hear awesome speakers and get to rock the establishment.

But the level is not as important as the participation. Joining FDL affirms that what I have done and what we can do in the future has value to you and your world. Please join today.

(Or, if you prefer to speak directly with one of us about the membership program, call us anytime at 202-709-7498.)

30 Responses to "FDL Membership: Kicking Ass, Taking Names"
Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:06 pm 1

So I am offering an incentive to anyone who joins FDL while this post is at the top of the page and says so in comments: Not only will you get the FDL swagm listed in your memebrship level, but I’ll also send you a DVD of one of the films that has appeared on Movie Night.

nahant | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:17 pm 2

Darn I joined too soon ☺ ☺ but hey it was still worth it to have joined on day one. FDL and her sister sites are just simply amazing!!!

Dearie | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:20 pm 3

Lisa, you got me so stirred up that I want to join again…..and again!

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:30 pm 4

:::blush:: I am stoked to be able to write for FDL. The community is so effective and passionate.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:34 pm 5

A free press–unencumbered by corporate ties or government sanctions/license–is necessary for democracy. Heck, it’s necessary for change. Pamphlets were written during the French and English monarchies mocking politicians and royal foibles.

SanderO | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:37 pm 6

I have been one the first people on FDL. I am not a member yet though I support the mission as I understand it.

What I would like to see is:

A mission statement
the bylaws if it is a corporation
is intended to be a non for profit?
the budget

Can we have some transparency?

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:40 pm 7

Tomorrow night’s movie is Our Summer in Tehran, about a single American Jewish mom who takes her 5 yr old son to Tehran with summer and spends time with three families. It’s awesome. Justine Shapiro the filmmaker/mom will be our guest

SanderO | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:40 pm 8

Lisa… do you have any answers?

SanderO | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:42 pm 9

Sounds like an interesting movie… this thread is about membership and I would like to know about what the money is being used for.

msmolly | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:42 pm 10

I joined on the first day, and donated a membership for someone else who couldn’t afford one. A very worthwhile investment, IMHO.

msmolly | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:43 pm 11

SanderO, why don’t you call and talk to someone. The number is at the bottom of this and all of the other “become a member” posts. That’s probably a better way to get your specific questions answered.

msmolly | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:51 pm 12
In response to SanderO @ 9

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:52 pm 13

We also have a link on the wesbite which answers a lot of questions

SanderO | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:55 pm 14

Thank you for the number… I’ll call.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:56 pm 15

And there are more answer linkies at the bottom of that page.

Jane Hamsher | Sunday May 22, 2011 04:56 pm 16
In response to SanderO @ 6

We took a great deal of trouble to write up what the money was being used for, who was making those decisions, and what the structure would be before we launched. We’ve discussed it repeatedly in posts and in the comment section, and if you would like to take some time to check around the membership area, you can find:

Mission Statement: http://members.firedoglake.com/mission/
Board of Directors: http://members.firedoglake.com/board/
Where your money goes: http://members.firedoglake.com/money/

Please be respectful of people who are working here. Accusations of “lack of transparency,” and badgering the post’s author for answers that are easy to find for anyone who tries, are unfair. Nobody wants that here in the comments section.

Jane Hamsher | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:01 pm 17
In response to SanderO @ 14

Please familiarize yourself with what’s already been written before you do. Ryan is great, he takes a lot of time with people, but it’s not his job to take abuse like Lisa got here.

We have a new flagging system here, where community members decide what is acceptable commentary and what’s not. If they feel you’re stepping over the line and flag your comments repeatedly, that’s the end. You have been here a long time, as you say, and I would be sad if that happened.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:09 pm 18

Thanks Jane.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:11 pm 19

So what local stuff have you all been doing? I am trying ot inspire my neighbors and friends to plant one or two native plants in their yards to enhance the ecoscapes. I have so many more birds now because native bugs–especially butterfly larvae prefer local plants, then birds eat those….very cool.

TalkingStick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:14 pm 20

I proudly displayed my FDL T-shirt at the Love thy Neighbor Rally in Gainesville Ga yesterday in protest of our cretin governor’s latest oppressive bill against immigrants. Did a bit of networking for FDL. Hope it pays off.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:15 pm 21
In response to TalkingStick @ 20

OMG, Taking Stick, I am just workng on a post about Gainesville, GA. HOW WEIRD

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:17 pm 22

If I have a good month in JUne I may upgrade my membership (yes, I joined!) to Benefactor for the tote–handy for shopping.

Jane Hamsher | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:18 pm 23
In response to TalkingStick @ 20

Pictures! I want pictures.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:21 pm 24

The rally made some news down there–400+ people. That’s awesome.

TalkingStick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:21 pm 25

Just good networking. :-)

I can tell you a lot about Gainesville, Ga. What are you writing about.

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:21 pm 26

And Jane, that brings up a great idea: Send us pics of you in FDL tee shirts or carrying your tote, and there’s a DVD in it for you–this week only!

Lisa Derrick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:23 pm 27

And again if you join today at any level, and mention it in this post’s comments, DVD for you!

TalkingStick | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:24 pm 28

In response to Jane Hamshire. I will get them for you. Friend Alma took dozens. Here is the Gainesville Times story .http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/6/article/50771/

Jane Hamsher | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:28 pm 29
In response to TalkingStick @ 28

That’s fantastic. And love your idea.

msmolly | Sunday May 22, 2011 05:43 pm 30
In response to Jane Hamsher @ 23

Now that would be fun to have as part of the “be a member” posts….photos of members wearing their t-shirts or carrying their tote bags.

I am beginning to be sorry I turned down the “swag” that came with my membership.