Late Night: Movies vs Real Life, WTF? They’ll Be Back

(The reason for this video will be apparent shortly)

The last few days I’ve been at the Newport Beach Film Fest and saw some great documentaries. Also saw A Kiss for Jed Wood, an Irish film, a sweet coming-of-middle-age-movie written by one old friend, directed by another and starring my ex-husband, which is how life sorta shakes out.

Meanwhile, Oscar winning director Kathyrn Bigelow and her Hurt Locker collaborator Mark Boale were developing a $20 million movie Kill Bin Laden based on the 2001 failed black ops mission. Oops, whatever, next? Or will the team rewrite and revise? And there are other OBL movies being tossed around, though we all know how it ends.

And movie/real life gets weirder: Are you sitting down? Terminator 5 is being shopped with former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger attached in a starring role.

In Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, John Conner, Kate Brewster and the Terminator were all still alive, so Ahnuld could live up to the series’ catch phrase. A few weeks ago the ex-gov told the Los Angeles Times:

I can step very comfortably into the entertainment world and do an action movie with the same violence that I’ve always done. I can have the same amount of heads coming off — and any other body parts — and as far as that goes, I don’t blink.

Does that mean he’ll do his own stunts? Maybe. More like, he didn’t get to do enough scorched-earth, kill ‘em all while in office, and since he’ll never get to blow stuff up as President, he’ll just get his rocks off on film (and hopefully filming in CA cuz we need the work!). Supposedly his next project is Cry Macho, a drama about a horse trainer who kidnaps his boss’ son.

But Terminator 5, with Schwarzenegger attached as the sparkly thing, is being shopped with no script. That’s right. No plot. It’s beyond Snakes on a Plane. Maybe it should be an existential, improvisational action film, John Cassavetes meets Michael Bay. And plot predictions/suggestions?

Maybe T5 and Bigelow’s Kill Bin Laden with a new ending could combine with Arnold’s cartoon project The Governator, featuring his voice and likeness… Yes, you read that right.

103 Responses to "Late Night: Movies vs Real Life, WTF? They’ll Be Back"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:02 pm 1

I got home form the film fest, there was a new driveway gate and Mr Bruce needed brushing.

Arnold doing drama. Can’t wait…

Suzanne | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:04 pm 2

lisa!

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:05 pm 3

I didn’t know there were 4 Terminators.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:08 pm 4

The offshoot “Terminator Salvation,” counts as T4, I gather.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:10 pm 5

Where is the remake of RED DAWN, dammit? WOLVERINEZZZZZZZZZZZ

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:11 pm 6

Lisa!

OT, but I am flogging this to people who might be concerned. It really pisses me off.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:12 pm 7

It was completed in March of this year…

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:14 pm 8

Ah! Never heard of it.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:14 pm 9

Yeah. I’m not a professor but welcome to my world.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:17 pm 10

Keep floggin’ it. I saw it yesterday and got 2 more signatures aside from myself.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:19 pm 11

What absolute scum they have running Southeastern.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:20 pm 12
In response to Margaret @ 9

I know. It deeply offends me as a native Okie, a professor, and a human being. This is so inexcusably wrong on so many levels.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:20 pm 13

THANK YOU!

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:24 pm 14
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 11

Southeastern Oklahoma is deep Klan country (think Deliverance), so this does not really surprise me. On the other hand, I refuse to give them a pass just because they are brain dead bigoted horse shits.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:26 pm 15
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 10

I even posted a link to the story in my Anthropology of Gender class, where we are looking at gender and culture change this week. It fits the topic. I also have a F2M trans in the class (who has been awesome, btw).

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:28 pm 16

and nothing is off topic on Late Night (at least for me!). It’s a chance to say whatwever.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:29 pm 17

As well you shouldn’t. Just because they’re all-purpose bigots instead of particularly targeted bigots shouldn’t get them off the hook.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:32 pm 18

Well I appreciate your flogging of it DrD. I haven’t been to Raw Story much lately and I saw the story because of your link last night at late night.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:33 pm 19
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 17

We have two trans women in the department (a faculty member and a graduate student), who are both friends so this gets personal. Montana is hardly a liberal place, but the University System here prohibits this kind of discrimination.

Speaking of the department, if all goes well and he doesn’t blow it, I should produce my first Ph.D. (third in the department) tomorrow morning. I am pretty sure that seals my eternal damnation.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:34 pm 20

Cool! Whatwever! :)

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:36 pm 21

Eggsellent! Yer growin’ ‘em up good!

That is so hard of an accomplishment.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:36 pm 22

Does s/he have to defend tomorrow morning?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:38 pm 23

YAY!

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:41 pm 24

Heh.

And only an hour ago, I was feeling manipulated…

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:41 pm 25
In response to Margaret @ 22

He does indeed defend at 10:00am. Did his dissertation on religion and ethnic identity in the Chicago American Indian community (of which he is a member). Of course if he succeeds that means I won’t have any more male students. Of my current 7 graduate students (5 Ph.D. and 2 MA students) he is the only guy.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:41 pm 26

I wish him luck. We know from experience how nerve-wracking a dissertation defense is.

marc5 | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:43 pm 27

T5 should entail one of the killer bots being sent back to 2003 in order to assume control of an influential US state and run it into the ground. It has nothing to do with Connor family, makes no sense at all and meets with such success that Skynet chokes on its own emergent hubris and explodes. Cigar smoking is permitted in the lobby.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:43 pm 28
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 26

Only half as nerve-wracking as trying to find a job afterward. On an even darker note, I heard from my oldest grandson (who is 15) that he is thinking about becoming an anthropologist and asking my advice.

Suzanne | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:44 pm 29
In response to marc5 @ 27

hahaha

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:45 pm 30

So lemme say something.

I’m working with the US Census data, as it’s publicly available and I need a work product of some sort to supplement my resume to find some work as an analyst.

Anyway, just working with Colorado data, I have a theory; in districts with working women with a college degree, who earn more than their less educated peers, make that district more liberal.

I’ve been saying it forever, but the key to rational policies lie with women’s equality. I’m downloading all the rest of the National data, but I really don’t see how it will be different.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:47 pm 31
In response to marc5 @ 27

Do I detect a subtext?

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:48 pm 32
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 30

You may want to control for overall education levels as more educated people of any gender tend more liberal.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:49 pm 33

Well I’m pulling for him but it’s also great to hear there are more women going into science as well.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:51 pm 34
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 30

Do the data support your hypothesis in CO?

Here’s some random thoughts.

Women (think Hillary) recognize that there’s room at the top for only a couple. So among powerful women, other women are rivals not allies. Which makes the problem of leadership problematic.

Don’t know how the layers of women underneath the alpha ones would shake out. Think that’s where the data will shed light.

So as I look at it, the female leaders are at daggers drawn with the female worker bees.

Not too diff from males.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:52 pm 35
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 30

I wish I had half of your brains. I’ve been doing a lot of writing but so far without much success.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:52 pm 36
In response to Margaret @ 33

We actually have a preponderance of women graduate students in the department, though not 6:1. Three of my students are also Native American, so I am doing my part to increase diversity.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:52 pm 37

Right. What’s in the AmericanFactFinder tables only goes so far tho. But in each of those, as far as the CO data goes, I can make a thematic map.

Interesting so far. The whole district will be richer, and vote more liberally. I’ve finished for tonight, but I’m going to run the test at the census block level in the morning!

endgeek/

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:55 pm 38
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 37

One way to control for that is to look at the sex ratios for each of the relevant districts. If your thesis is right, there ought to be more Democrats in districts with a higher percentage of women.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:56 pm 39

Women have had more ed accomplishment than men for quite awhile.

To what end?

CTuttle | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:56 pm 40

*heh* Roll, roll another one… Just like the other one…! ;-)

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:56 pm 41
In response to Margaret @ 35

I’ll email you tomorrow.

You have all of my brains and more. I think we could do opposition research on candidates together, and you could scientifically quantify it, and we could stick it to some frikking enemies for once in our lives, by selling it to their enemies.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 08:58 pm 42
In response to eCAHNomics @ 39

They are certainly more represented in academia now than in the past (our department is about balanced) and I get the impression that there are more in the professional fields and management as well.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:01 pm 43

Wimmin still well less than half in most fields, though greater than half in education.

And of course, in the MOTU & PTB, still a miniscule percentage.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:01 pm 44

Oh yeah. Ethnicity counts too. So when I control for wage and age, allasudden your “Stupak” districts show up too:

Lower wage Hispanic women vote more conservatively than higher wage Hispanic women. Well, belong to more conservative districts, as you can’t really tell how they voted, except for the results.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:01 pm 45

Woohoo! That’s very important. Especially for Native Americans who have had such a raw deal for such a long time.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:02 pm 46

That is great. Gone I hope are the days when women get hired because they can ge tpaid less for same job!

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:03 pm 47
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 41

Well, thanks for the compliment but your language skills alone put me to shame. :)

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:03 pm 48

They get paid more than I do anyway.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:04 pm 49
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 44

Catholics as a rule are pretty conservative and Hispanic Women tend to be overwhelmingly Catholic.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:05 pm 50

LMAO! EVERYBODY gets paid more than I do!

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:06 pm 51
In response to Margaret @ 47

Shuddup! We’re going to get somewhere together, or sink alone.

I don’t know exactly how that’s going to work, but we ain’t going down. I simply reject that scenario.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:06 pm 52

But that is absolutely not so.

Had exactly that conversation with one male boss.

He argued that he was such an enlightened asshole that he (U.S.) hired Japanese women in Tokyo office bc they were cheaper than Japanese men, who, in any event, would not work for a Swiss/U.S. firm.

I countered that his experience was proof that gender discrimination not only existed, but also persisted. BC if it didn’t persist, women’s compensation & positions would quickly match that of men’s, courtesy of the magic of the market. That hadn’t occurred, was the proof.

DrDick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:07 pm 53

Time for me to toddle off. Big day tomorrow. Take care all.

Suzanne | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:08 pm 54

g’nite dr dick

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:09 pm 55

Night DrD. Luck to your PhD candidate!

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:10 pm 56

And how long do you think would be reasonable for true gender equality in all fields? 5 decades? A century? Two centuries?

What about all the schmart wimmin who are trashed in the process of adjustment, assuming there is such a process.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:10 pm 57

Night Dr Dick and may the gods bless your PhD candidate!
and all phd candidates.

marc5 | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:11 pm 58
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 31

:-) Maybe. There will be however, a series of run-on sequels called “Weekend at Ts” that focus on the hijinks of some drunken buddies and the burned-out busted-down husk of the Terminator. Low budget, minimal CGI.
The script consists of every single macho-man tag line from every single “action” movie ever filmed, stung together in a brisk 90 minute etude of cultural dross. In other words, the perfect straight-to-BluRay release.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:12 pm 59

I’m just hoping at the moment that I’m able to sleep tonight. So far my tooth pain is only about a 1 and very tolerable but the last couple of nights I’ve woken up with a major ache. CTuttle’s suggestion about warm, salty water seems to be working though. I added a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to the mixture too. Still way sensitive but not really painful.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:13 pm 60
In response to marc5 @ 58

Agency on line 2, Arnold on line 1….

Suzanne | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:13 pm 61

margaret, hot salty water several times a day, the saltier the better, was how i got through it until i could finally afford some dental work. as the salt starts to work, you can bump up the temp of the water which will help even more.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:13 pm 62
In response to eCAHNomics @ 56

Hey, sometimes it’s events and not process that produces results.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:15 pm 63
In response to Margaret @ 59

are you taking ibupro?

Also clove oil is supposed to be very helpful for the pain.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:16 pm 64
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 62

Examples?

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:22 pm 65

I ran out of Aleve. If I can afford it at the grocery store tomorrow, I’ll get some more.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:23 pm 66
In response to eCAHNomics @ 64

Rosie the Riveter for one. Big influx of women into the manufacturing workforce.

Also, exiting the women from the manufacturing workforce post WW2 was a process, not so much an event, and that took some time. Not much really. But some time.

But then later, late ’60s, early ’70s, we started putting women back IN the workforce, as a process.

An event for women was Barbara Walters getting the first $Million dollar contract in the Broadcast News. Women have gotten them since then.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:24 pm 67
In response to Margaret @ 65

go generic if you can from drugstore, their brand is usually half the price.

jcinOR | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:26 pm 68

Since you mention OBL, can I spew a bit?
It appears that the President was precise when he stated that OBL was killed “after a firefight.” AP and other sycophants cleaned it up for him all the next day saying that OBL had been killed during a firefight.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:27 pm 69
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 66

No meaningful compensation equality in last 4 decades. How long should women wait?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:29 pm 70
In response to eCAHNomics @ 52

Supposedly in US this doesn’t happen. Because um it’s discrimination. I noticed when I worked at record labels that men promoted their male assistants faster than their women ones.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:31 pm 71
In response to Suzanne @ 61

Oh my freaking word, the fact that we can’t afford dental care is horrible. After my dental insurance ran out in March (for the rest of 2011), I just slap the credit card on the counter. I figure that it must be about 4K by now.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:31 pm 72
In response to eCAHNomics @ 69

Not a second longer than this minute!

Gay people will never get equality as long as “Women” don’t. I just know that, and act like that.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:32 pm 73

Exactly my Q.

Men always argue shit like, education, pipeline, a host of other excuses.

But promotion, compensation disparity has existed long past such excuses explain.

CTuttle | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:33 pm 74
In response to Margaret @ 65

What’s your thoughts on the Salt bath, Peg…?

CTuttle | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:35 pm 75
In response to CTuttle @ 74

Oops, nevermind…! ;-)

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:36 pm 76
In response to CTuttle @ 74

Seems to have done some good. I’ll know more if I can sleep through the night. A process I’m going to attempt soon but not immediately.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:40 pm 77
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 72

LGBT seem better organized than women. As I’ve typed above, latter seem to regard each other as rivals, former as tribe.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:40 pm 78
In response to Margaret @ 76

I hope all your pain vanishes

CTuttle | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:40 pm 79
In response to Margaret @ 76

Any relief is better than none…! ;-)

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:41 pm 80

My theory is that as long as labels are important, equality is not achievable. There will always be the tribalists and bigots around who see those “other” people as a threat to them, (because in my opinion all bigotry is rooted in fear ultimately). Until the most relevant professional descriptors are qualifications, then forget equality. It would be wonderful if we didn’t need any kind of affirmative action. Unfortunately we are a long, long way from that society and getting further away from it daily.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:42 pm 81
In response to Margaret @ 76

Margaret,
I hope you can sleep — I am sorry to hear about your pain.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:43 pm 82
In response to eCAHNomics @ 77

As I’ve typed above, latter seem to regard each other as rivals

Oh, there’s a lot of that in the LGBT community as well. Trust me. One very successful gay male blogger who I won’t name here doesn’t believe that the transgendered community should even have a place in the larger LGB community.

CTuttle | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:44 pm 83

Btw, As I’d noted late on my LLN post…

Transgender rights bill awaits governor’s OK…

Abercrombie signed it today…! ;-)

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:46 pm 84
In response to eCAHNomics @ 77

Well, I dunno for everyone, but threat is a big deal on the LGBT front.

LGBT are constantly adversely threatened, viscerally in one sense. Women are threatened too, but in a more, but consistent-low-level threat environment.

I’m not sure that says it correctly, but it’s one way of saying it.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:47 pm 85
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 71

It is cheaper for me to pay for my dental than to get dental insurance. Same with health care, actually, but I have to have health insurance “in case.”

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:47 pm 86
In response to CTuttle @ 83

I’d love to move to Hawaii and not just for the climate.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:50 pm 87
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 84

There are two things that I am certain of:
1) If I was biologically female, I would have a job.
2) If I was biologically male, I would have a job.
Beyond that I’m unable to view anything objectively.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:50 pm 88
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 84

Many gays can pass. Women can’t.

Don’t want to get into an arm wrestling contest on the subject.

Just saying that it’s long past overdue for disadvantaged groups.

Excuses have worn entirely thin.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:51 pm 89

In the past, my insurance has been wonderful. But MrCE needed a new front tooth, and on and on. By the time I was forced to the dentist this January, I had avoided going for 15 years, but paid all the dental insurance for MrCE (and boy, did he need it). I’m just coming out of the woods.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:52 pm 90
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 71

At least you have that option. I hope to be able to keep the pain manageable and the infection under control until the tooth rots out of my head. Suz sent me a link the other day that I need to follow up on. We’ll see.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:52 pm 91
In response to Margaret @ 87

That is really fucked up. By employers. I don’t get it. The best person for a job the one who can do it, not what gender or orientation they present.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:53 pm 92
In response to Margaret @ 87

Yeah, you face a direct threat instead of a simply adverse or indirect threat. :(

eCAHNomics | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:54 pm 93
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 89

Obviously, insurance rules are not complicated enough, since it took you only 15 years to figure it out. /s

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:54 pm 94

Anyway, so far, so good. I’m going to try to sleep. Maybe I won’t have to stay up watching keeping Up Appearances on youtube tonight. Oya! :)

CTuttle | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:54 pm 95
In response to Margaret @ 86

*heh* As I’d noted last nite… ‘See what electing Progressives get’s ya…?’

Ya seriously need to get outta Tejas…! ;-)

Suzanne | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:54 pm 96

g’nite margaret

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:55 pm 97
In response to Margaret @ 94

nite, M! thanks for dropping in.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:56 pm 98
In response to Margaret @ 90

Margaret,
We have a dental school here, do you have one nearby? If you do, they might help you. I can’t stand the thought of you suffering.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:56 pm 99
In response to eCAHNomics @ 88

Heh. I’ll never “pass” as straight. (Laughing!)

Not wrestling with you, AT ALL. You’ll never find me opposite the rights of women. Ever.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 09:57 pm 100
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 92

It’s gonna be really fucked up when I’m homeless. There is only one homeless shelter in the entire country that I’m aware of that even takes transgendered people and that’s in New York City. I used to send them money when I had a job. My cat and I will be at home in the Kia I guess.

Margaret | Tuesday May 3, 2011 10:00 pm 101

Anyway. Out. Guess I’ll be back if I start hurting.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday May 3, 2011 10:00 pm 102
In response to eCAHNomics @ 93

Heh! I just paid for it — and I was totally lazy. “Gleaming white teeth tonight.”

Surtt | Tuesday May 3, 2011 10:14 pm 103