Late Night: Birthday for Bonzo–Reagan’s Turning 100 Years Old

How would you celebrate Ronald Wilson Reagan’s 100th birthday which is just five days away, on Super Bowl Sunday?

According to the LA Times

[j]ust before kickoff, a tribute to Reagan will be displayed on the massive Jumbotron at Cowboys Stadium in Texas

I wonder how cold it will be that day, if anyone will be able to thaw out of their houses and get to the game…Wait who’s performing at halftime? And who’s playing for that matter?

But back to the Gipper: Sadly for some folks, Mt. Diablo in California did not get renamed Mt. Reagan, but you can still learn about how Ronnie was Satan, except that the real number of the Beast is really 616, so all those kids with triple 6 tats, all those heavy metal bands,  and all those people who think Reagan is really the Antichrist are wrong, at least about the numerology part.

Gosh you can learn all about Ronnie’s voyage from GE to the White House courtesy of a General Electric sponsored website. And to educate the youth of America about Ronald Reagan

Indiana has invited fourth- through 12th-graders to submit a 500-word essay that answers the question: “What is Ronald Reagan’s most important contribution to American history?”

Um, El Salvador? Panama? Fawn Hall’s underpants? The War on Drugs? Arms for hostages? Astrology in the White House? (I am all for that actually!). Oliver North’s career?

How about lack of AIDS funding? (This year marks 30 yrs of HIV/AIDS.)

Maybe we can write some really appropriate birthday poetry for Ronnie tonight.  Meanwhile, Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation

plans a concert at the Reagan library featuring, among others, the Beach Boys, who were banned from the capital’s 1983 Fourth of July celebration by Interior Secretary James G. Watt, angering Nancy. Watt said the group attracted the “wrong element” but changed his tune after the president and Mrs. Reagan made it clear that they liked the Beach Boys.

Wow, Watt. What an idiot. Who put him in charge?

(Full disclosure, my first stepfather was married twice to Ronald Reagan’s first wife, actress Jane Wyman, and I went to YMCA ballet class with Ronnie, Jr when I was like 4 or 5).

116 Responses to "Late Night: Birthday for Bonzo–Reagan’s Turning 100 Years Old"
newtonusr | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:04 pm 1

“What is Ronald Reagan’s most important contribution to American history?”

Not pulling a Bloomberg.
Hey Lisa!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:04 pm 2

Hey Karl!

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:04 pm 3

What’s cold and white and used to be on Death Valley days?

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:05 pm 4

I’m impressed that someone finally admitted that he was bonkers before his second term began. Not that we didn’t know that. Just that someone would actually outloud it.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:06 pm 5

1980 was the first election I could vote in. I was going to Berkeley so I didnt vote him

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:06 pm 6
In response to newtonusr @ 1

Ronnie Jr rocks. I would so vote for him for pres.

Twain | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:06 pm 7
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

Very scary thought however that someone with a slipping mind was in charge.

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:06 pm 8

What is Ronald Reagan’s most important contribution to American history?

Being the first officially senile president in office!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:07 pm 9

I wanted to celebrate by defecating on the entryway to the Ronald Reagan Library…

Mrs. Dr. BC convinced me that being arrested was probably not a wise career move. The fact that it’s a 700 mile drive was an inhibitor, too.

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:08 pm 10

Mine was 1972. I didn’t vote for Nixon either. Quite an initiation we had into the electoral process, voting against two of the 3 worst presidents in American history.

newtonusr | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:08 pm 11
In response to Margaret @ 6

Too bad his brother is Michael…

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:09 pm 12
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 9

I definitely know the feeling. I think I will content myself with celebrating my 59th birthday tomorrow and ignoring his.

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:09 pm 13

Gosh you can learn all about Ronnie’s voyage from GE to the White House courtesy of a General Electric sponsored website. Guess GE is a bit self-congratulatory aren’t they?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:10 pm 14
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

I recall hearing a news report about his polyp over an Easter weekend, but just once on the radio. He didnt have surgery until July…

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:10 pm 15
In response to newtonusr @ 11

Adopted half brother…who nobody outside FOX knows. Ron says he won’t run because pols say people won’t elect an atheist. I do wish he would challenge Obama though.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:10 pm 16

Senile, yet still evil!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:11 pm 17

Ronald Wilson Reagan’s most important contribution to American History was his demonstration that Alzheimer’s disease can actually be an asset in the nation’s chief executive officer.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:11 pm 18
In response to Twain @ 7

As opposed to the paranoid in charge during the Nixon admin. Or the wingnut during W. Or the sellout during O. Take you pick

You might recall I did a book salon on King of the Mountain. One lesson of which is the alpha male who gets to the top need bear no talents that in any way helps the tribe he rules.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:11 pm 19
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 9

Must not be the one who hates Ren and Stimpy…

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:12 pm 20
In response to mzchief @ 13

{ Moderati, can you fix that? Virtual Aloha Bay candles for you … fair trade, non-toxic, 100% vegetable palm wax. Thanks! }

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:12 pm 21

Happy birthday. And Imbolic/Candlemas. And St Brigid’s Day. And Oya’s feast day, may Ellegua carry the prayers.

And again, Happy Birthday Dr Dick!

Oilfieldguy | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:13 pm 22

His most important contributions? Amnesty, cut-n-run in Beruit, upper marginal tax rates at 45%, all of which makes him far more liberal than the current White House occupant who has deported more immigrants than Dubya, is doubling down in Afghanistan and couldn’t raise the upper marginal tax rate by 3 points to 39%. I miss the Socialist Raygun.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:14 pm 23
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 17

One of the last times I watched any local news was in Houstopolis a few years after Reagan left office. By then it was well known that he had Alheimer’s an Nancy had just made a tearful confession that sometimes he doesn’t recognize her. That didn’t stop the plastic talking heads from wondering in their usual perky manner what Reagan was doing during his birthday. How about drooling on his cake?

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:16 pm 24
In response to Oilfieldguy @ 22

Now now now. Give credit where it’s due. Raygun started a lot of stuff, like deficits don’t matter, like welfare & union vilification, like like like, that came into full bloom in later admins.

Sumptin Rs are very good at doing.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:17 pm 25
In response to Margaret @ 19

Mrs. Dr. BC isn’t big on R & S, but she doesn’t get after me about it. We do share a great love for Pinky and the Brain.

Sharkbabe | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:18 pm 26

I’m sorry the ruinous simpleton was ever born. Yes I am. There I said it.

hackworth1 | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:19 pm 27

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:20 pm 28
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 25

I have a stuffed Brain on my wall and am currently using a Pinky bookmark.

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:20 pm 29
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 17

Apparently his status when he first entered office …

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:20 pm 30
In response to Sharkbabe @ 26

x2

Worst. President. Ever.

conniptionfit | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:21 pm 31

Evenin’ all! How to celebrate St. Ronnie’s centenial? Why, find a Republican and trickle down on him, o’course!

Twain | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:21 pm 32
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 30

But Obama is trying for first place.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:21 pm 33
In response to hackworth1 @ 27

Dude! Use tinyurl!
Makes your link into this:

hackworth1 | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:21 pm 34

Sorry about that link. It does work. Interesting paragraphs about Saint Ronnie, Nancy, Spencer Tracy, blowjobs and other movie bigwigs. It’s from a Katharine Hepburn biography.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:22 pm 35

dont forget…the first astrological presidency

Oilfieldguy | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:22 pm 36
In response to eCAHNomics @ 24

Yup, he fired them air traffic controllers and talked of “welfare queens” and such, scaring Dems into enacting republican policies as republicans don’t know how to legislate, just berate Dems into doing it for them and intimidating the steno press pool.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:23 pm 37

Claire McCaskill insists on SS security cuts,even though Harry Hairball took them off the table

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:23 pm 38
In response to mzchief @ 29

I should have expanded on that. The advantage of having a CEO with Alzheimer’s accrues to the subordinates who want to manipulate him.

Gee Whizzer Boosh made a similar contribution to American government. He showed that William J. LePetomane as portrayed by Mel Brooks could be a viable (again to subordinates intent on manipulation) CEO too.

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:23 pm 39
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 30

I don’t know. It is pretty stiff competition between him, Nixon, and Dubya. In retrospect, however, I have to concede that, unlike the other two, Nixon actually did do a couple od preetty good things.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:24 pm 40
In response to Twain @ 32

Actually every one of them since Carter has been pretty shitty, though Clinton wasn’t nearly as bad as the other four.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:24 pm 41
In response to Twain @ 32

Yeah, but I have my doubts he can do even that right. At best I expect him to tie with Der Shrubbenfuhrer.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:25 pm 42
In response to sadlyyes @ 37

We need to change the Democratic Party rules so we can kick out idiots like that.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:25 pm 43
In response to sadlyyes @ 37

Link?

eCAHNomics | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:25 pm 44

Nighty night all. Us’ms with Alzheimers have a hard time merembering when it’s time to retire, but I think I’ve got it tonight, anyhow.

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:26 pm 45
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 38

Why yes!

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:27 pm 46
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 42

It would help if we quit putting Blue Dogs and Conservadems in charge of congressional fund raising.

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:27 pm 47
In response to eCAHNomics @ 44

Night!

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:27 pm 48

Night eCAHN. Maybe you can persuade CAHNstance to keep you warm.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:28 pm 49

Well, just my opinion, but Reagan turned government into EVIL.

That’s just the worst thing ever to me, because the alternative is anarchy/law of the jungle-strongest.

The meek have inherited Reagan’s earth, and lo, they are fucked.

hackworth1 | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:28 pm 51
In response to eCAHNomics @ 44

G’nite Johnboy.

(I knows ur a girl.)

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:28 pm 52

Like Rahm Emanuel and Steve Israel for example.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:28 pm 53

It would help even more if we’d quit electing them.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:30 pm 54
In response to sadlyyes @ 50

Thanks

McCaskill predicted on Tuesday that she may catch flak for backing the Republican bill.

Funny, I predict the bitch will lose her seat over it.

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:30 pm 55
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 53

The two are directly linked.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:31 pm 56
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 49

Kelly, remember one of RWR’s favorite lines was, “What are the nine most frightening words in the English language?” “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:31 pm 57
In response to eCAHNomics @ 44

nite nite BEE well

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:32 pm 58
In response to Margaret @ 54

lets help her
fuk her and the broom she rode in on

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:32 pm 59
In response to eCAHNomics @ 44

G’nite eCAHN.

newtonusr | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:33 pm 60
In response to Margaret @ 54

Maybe. But think Scott Brown being off the Gooper-track to keep his seat in Massachusetts. McConnell is happy to let him have all the leash he needs. It’s the Baggers who will do him in.

MO, perhaps not so much.

conradcelledge | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:33 pm 61

In 1974 I stood in the balcony of Battel Chapel close enough to spit on RR and heard him respond to the question of why is alcohol legal and marijuana illegal with the simple response that the cops can stop booze but they can’t stop pot so pot has to be illegal. That was the last thing I heard the man say that I could understand. I didn’t spit on him because he persuaded me he was sincere. Later, I thought what a fool I had been.

Even later, I campaigned for Obama and for a while now I have been thinking what a fool I have been. Then I hear Barry say he likes the gipper and I think what a fool he is or that he hopes I will be again.

PJEvans | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:33 pm 62

How I’d celebrate it: take his name off everything except his own museum/temple.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:34 pm 63
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 56

Right – one of my primary lines to cry “bullshit!”

Send troops to Grenada to help them, right you jerk? No wonder they were afraid.

Tennessee Valley Authority? Evil somehow. Grrrr.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:34 pm 64
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 56

It was the election of Ronald Reagan that disabused me of a lot of fantasies I had about my dad. He used to badmouth Reagan every time he’d run for the Republican nomination. I mean he loathed Reagan but after he finally got the nod, he suddenly thought Reagan could do no wrong. He never adequately explained that change of heart and it turned out that my dad’s opinions tracked George Will’s very closely. My dad, a lifetime member of Mensa was a poodle for Will.
Fuck.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:36 pm 65
In response to Margaret @ 64

oy

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:36 pm 66
In response to PJEvans @ 62

Amen. I fly to Washington National Airport when I go to D.C. The Goopers can call it whatever they want to call it, for me it will always be National.

Funnydiva2002 | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:37 pm 67

Oh, hey, somebody’s already mentioned the Union Busting, right?

Thanks a lot, Lisa! I could’ve gone another 100 years without meditating on RayGunz any more…

What a clever little essay contest–nice bit of market research that: shore up any weaknesses in the legacy-polishing.

Sigh.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:37 pm 68
In response to newtonusr @ 60

M’eh. I happen to agree with Truman:

When faced with the choice between a Republican and somebody who acts like a Republican, the people will choose the real Republican every time.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:37 pm 69

Raygun was merely a puppet of the PTB,a stagecrafted dummy for GE,and other big Corps

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:38 pm 70
In response to hackworth1 @ 51

{ tee hee! }

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:38 pm 71
In response to Margaret @ 64

Sometimes smart people make really dumb choices. My father did calculus in his head, in hexadecimal, and was and ardent fan of St. Ronnie.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:39 pm 72
In response to Margaret @ 64

Margaret,

Democrats want to fall in love, Republicans want to fall in line. It’s crazy, it’s a cliche, but there’s a lot of truth in it.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:40 pm 73
In response to Funnydiva2002 @ 67

Hey Funnydiva. Good to see you again!

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:40 pm 74

my father liked Raygun for 1 reason,he used to be a 90% taxpayer

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:40 pm 75

I tried and tried and tried to teach my dad the difference between intelligence and sense. He was a very typical conservative though and tried to reduce everything to it’s lowest common denominator.

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:41 pm 76
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 66

i love calling them Goopers

newtonusr | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:41 pm 77
In response to Margaret @ 68

I don’t think I disagree with that. But Brown’s problem is with HIS party’s flank – the Baggers.

Claire’s isn’t. That state just elected one of the most odious Goopers ever to the other Senate seat. She will move as far Right as she has to, and her flank – the Democratic flank – powerless to hurt her, if in fact MO is again trending Right.

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:41 pm 78

Maybe your dad believed blindly in American exceptionalism and that was the hook?

sadlyyes | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:42 pm 79

all you mensa offspring are teh entertaining,but i soooooo tired,better day tomorrow i hope,gnite

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:43 pm 80

Sorry guys. I normally don’t do late night with Lisa because this format gives me a headache for some reason. Nothing against you Lisa! This format is just not compatible with my vision for some reason. Good night all.

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:43 pm 81
In response to sadlyyes @ 79

G’nite Johanna Girl. *G*

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:44 pm 82
In response to sadlyyes @ 74

At least he had a reason. My father was not really affected by that, though as an oil company engineer, I think he was kind of pissed off about the EPA and environmental regs.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:45 pm 83

Good night, Margaret.

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:45 pm 84
In response to sadlyyes @ 79

Night.

Margaret | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:45 pm 85
In response to sadlyyes @ 79

Oya sy

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:46 pm 86
In response to Margaret @ 80

Nighters.

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:46 pm 87
In response to Margaret @ 80

G’nite Margaret.

Sweet dreams, folks, I’m calling it a day. :)

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:47 pm 88
In response to mzchief @ 87

G’night.

patrickhenrypress | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:48 pm 89

Speaking of they who have ruined the nation, I just read this article:

WikiLeaks: FBI hunts the 9/11 gang that got away

It details the known actions of three men from Qatar just prior to the 9/11 attacks.

They took BA flight 185 from London to New York on 15th August, 2001, and the memo alleges that they subsequently conducted “surveillance” on potential targets ahead of the 9/11 attacks. It states: “They visited the World Trade Centre, the Statue of Liberty, the White House and various areas in Virginia.”

They then flew on an American Airlines flight from Washington to Los Angeles, arriving on 24th August and checking into a single room at a hotel near the airport. They paid for the room with cash and during the last few days of their stay requested that their room should not be cleaned.

The cable states: “Hotel cleaning staff grew suspicious of the men because they noticed pilot type uniforms, several laptops and several cardboard boxes addressed to Syria, Jerusalem, Afghanistan and Jordan in the room on previous cleaning visits.

“The men had a smashed cellular phone in the room and a cellular phone attached by wire to a computer. The room also contained pin feed computer paper print outs with headers listing pilot names, airlines, flight numbers, and flight times.”

The smoking gun? Are these men CIA? Why can’t they find them? This reeks. What would the point of having a cell phone rigged to a laptop? To detonate explosives in buildings by remote control? To navigate a drone?

patrickhenrypress | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:51 pm 90
In response to patrickhenrypress @ 89

OK, I was assuming it was a laptop.

And what’s with the packages? Interesting description of them, too. All by nation except the one marked for Jerusalem. Perhaps that’s the author’s bias showing. Still, what a troubling combination of circumstances.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:54 pm 91
In response to sadlyyes @ 58

Now now, witchery is a faith. And uh some people here might be of that faith….

DrDick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:57 pm 92

Think I will join the mass exodus and toddle off. Tomorrow I shall contemplate the fact that at 19 I was voted by my friends as the least likely to see 30 as I will be one year away from twice that. Take care all.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:58 pm 93

Believing 2+2=5 is a faith too.

Just saying…

mzchief | Tuesday February 1, 2011 08:59 pm 94

Just saw this about Bradley Manning on Al Jazeera English (with video):

Whistleblower ‘isolated’ in US jail
Last Modified: 01 Feb 2011 17:53 GMT

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:01 pm 95

Good night, Dr. D.

I think I’ll join the evacuation too.

Good night folks.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:03 pm 96
In response to Margaret @ 6

Oh Margaret, I so agree. I heart RJr.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:04 pm 97

Just checking in, and missed all the fun! Hiya Pups!

conradcelledge | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:06 pm 98

So if Barry wasn’t a punk, he might say:

For Immediate Release:

Contact: Nathan White (202)225-5871

Egypt : Kucinich Calls for Unequivocal Statement of Solidarity with Egyptian People

Washington D.C. (February 1, 2011) As millions of peaceful protesters call for democratic reforms in the streets of Cairo, Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today called for unequivocal solidarity with the Egyptian people.

“Over 2 million Egyptians gather today in Cairo’s Tahrir Square and in cities across the country to demand an end to Mubarak’s regime in an unprecedented popular uprising. Egyptians of all classes, ages and faiths have come together to demand opportunity, education, food and housing security, and a democratic and responsive government. Despite a complete shutdown of internet and mobile phone access by President Mubarak, the Egyptian people have been able to organize the largest protests yet in a display of unparalleled national unity.

“At this historic moment, the American people must stand in solidarity with the people of Egypt as they call for a new leader and new direction in their country. It is time for the United States government to stand with the people of Egypt as well by ending its long-standing support of the corrupt and repressive Mubarak regime. Absent such a statement, our calls for democracy in the region ring hollow.

“This is the time to practice what we preach. This is the time to reconstruct our policies in the region and reach out to the Arab and Muslim world. Now is the time to reiterate our wishes to protect our ally, Israel, and support true grassroots democratic movements in the region both are possible and both are necessary.

“There is no clearer picture than that of millions of Egyptians peacefully protesting to demonstrate that our support of such regimes brings less stability, not more, to the region. Though the United States has a history of inappropriate and often counterproductive influence in the governance of other countries, the Egyptian people are demanding a voice, and the United States should support any requests by the Egyptian people for that voice to be registered in the form of free and fair elections,” said Kucinich.

Dennis Kucinich is a congressman from Ohio and a 2008 presidential primary candidate. http://kucinich.us/ The best way to reach congressman Kucinich is through the information on his more…)

The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

Contact Author Contact Editor View Authors’ Articles

~~~ModNote: Links are appreciated.~~~

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:06 pm 99
In response to patrickhenrypress @ 89

Computer and cell phone hooked up: to download phone #s?

This is a reallly weird one— what was in the boxes?

Maybe the staff couldnt remember the cities in Syria, etc, but Jerusalem stuck out asa familar one?

I wonder if the operatives were distracted by the utter coolness of USA and decided to rock and roll all night and party everyday instead of blowing sh#t up…

newtonusr | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:07 pm 100
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 93

Music is just notes on a page.

nahant | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:08 pm 101
In response to newtonusr @ 100

100!!!

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:09 pm 102
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 93

Hey Kelly!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:09 pm 103

EPA, OSHA affirmative action=Nixon. Either his Quaker views or sop for the damn hippies

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:11 pm 104
In response to newtonusr @ 100

Nope; music is music without ever writing it out.

ratfood | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:22 pm 105
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 104

Information is not Knowledge
Knowledge is not Wisdom
Wisdom is not Truth
Truth is not Beauty
Beauty is not Love
Love is not Music
Music is the BEST!

I think Abraham Lincoln said that…

ratfood | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:26 pm 106

Just how much the political spectrum has shifted. Obama is WAY right of Nixon, so if he’s (according to some) what passes for a commie today I can’t imagine what that would make the Dickster.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:37 pm 107
In response to ratfood @ 105

Another interesting thing about music; it doesn’t require belief.

Beethoven’s 9th Symphony, once having been created, needs no belief for it to be real.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:47 pm 108

I love early baroque and motets, hurdy gurdy, harpsichord…

ratfood | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:50 pm 109
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 107

“Come with uncle,” I said, “and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.”

Alex, A Clockwork Orange

ratfood | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:52 pm 110

“You rang?”

Lurch was a fearsome harpsichordist.

ratfood | Tuesday February 1, 2011 09:59 pm 111

Here is another interesting quote from A Clockwork Orange, novel, not film. Not suggesting it’s pertinent to well, anything.

“Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses to be bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?”

A Clockwork Orange: Part 2, Chapter 03, Line 17

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday February 1, 2011 10:07 pm 112
In response to ratfood @ 110

yes, he was!
Goodniht all!

kgb999 | Tuesday February 1, 2011 10:24 pm 113

Boy … Ron and Nancy weren’t the only ones pissed about that Beachboys thing. James Watt. Perennial asshat.

medicinecat | Wednesday February 2, 2011 05:41 am 114

Hurdy gurdy is one of the coolest instruments I’ve ever encountered. A street musician in Dubrovnik many, many years ago opened his up and explained, as best he could in broken English, how it worked. The sound is energetic and beautiful.

The hurdey gurdy is used quite a bit in traditional French music. I’m fortunate to get Quebec public radio (Espace Musique CBC) where I live.

mgloraine | Wednesday February 2, 2011 05:51 am 115

I don’t celebrate RRs birthday, but the day of his passing – June 5, 2004.

The most appropriate way for the American people to commemorate the date of his birth would be to bulldoze his “Presidential Library” to make way for a Planned Parenthood facility, a state-run Mental Health facility, and a homeless shelter.

GeorgeJohnston | Wednesday February 2, 2011 07:14 am 116

Restore the Social Security benefits he so gleefully cut in his major class warfare victories.