Late Night: The Leftovers Before New Years

Everyone loves leftovers, unless it’s some political yuckiness still sticking around. And everyone one probably has a moldy smelly chunk of of something they’d like to toss (Michael Steele?).

This scary pie is from Aldi’s the German discount supermarket chain which now owns Trader Joe’s, that Holy Grail icon of anti-establishment hipster grocery stores that has some brands repackaged under their label (the organic soup and the boil-in-bag Indian food come to mind). I love their cheeses,  they have some awesome coffees, staple goods, meats and wine–and the juices! Oh, the juices!  When a Trader’s arrives close by, the neighborhood gets happy–it’s a sign of gentrification, of a certain level being  hit. But as with all things, there is a sadness in certain aisles often stemming from saltiness and/or oiliness.

So, what levels are you looking for in 2011? What was too salty, too oily for you in 2010? What should be gentrified or left to rot in the coming year? And what leftovers should just be dumped instead of getting repurposed into pie?

34 Responses to "Late Night: The Leftovers Before New Years"
Suzanne | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:01 pm 1

lisa!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:04 pm 2

Suzanne! Did you make any leftovers? We snacked on a bunch today.

DrDick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:04 pm 3

Lisa!

I definitely want to keep Mr. Steele around. Like stinky cheese, he just gets riper with age/

Suzanne | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:06 pm 4

i’ve been eating leftover roast chicken. tonight, i fixed it sorta ‘ala king’ and served it over rice. yummy!

Margaret | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:07 pm 5

LISA!

DrDick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:08 pm 6

I had a bunch for dinner on Sunday and will probably do something with them tomorrow as well. Tonight I had baked fish with roasted potatoes, mushrooms, and brussels sprouts with thyme, rosemary, and garlic. The fish cooked on top of the veggies.

Twain | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:11 pm 7

I have enough leftover turkey to feed all the pups. I plan to finish it around the 4th of July.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:11 pm 8

I had choclat ebread pudding (left over from Hexmess) for dinner. I have such amazing salamis in the fridge–wild boar, an organic pig and balck truffle and and organic sopressa

DrDick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:14 pm 9
In response to Twain @ 7

Heh. I quit cooking turkeys for myself several years ago when I waas thinking about buying one for Thanksgiving and realized I still had leftovers in the freezer from the last year. I cooked a Cuban style pork roast with baked sweet potatoes this year.

Twain | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:15 pm 10

Pork Roast is really nice. I cook it often and love the leftovers of that, too.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:16 pm 11

Yum.

I wonder if Sraha Palin will be arund this tie next year…

Twain | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:19 pm 12

Palin will be that smelly leftover you were talking about. Wonder who will take care of her baby now that Bristol is moving to Arizona.

tammanytiger | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:19 pm 13

One of my favorite Trader Joe’s products is their Vintage Ale, which is brewed by a highly-regarded brewery in Quebec. This weekend, Mrs. Tiger and I plan a mini-vertical tasting of the 2007 and 2010 versions of this ale.

tammanytiger | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:21 pm 14
In response to Twain @ 12

Maybe Dr. Drew will take in the whole Palin clan. They deserve one another.

Suzanne | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:27 pm 15

i’m a solo who learned to cook as a kid for a family of 5… i’ve always got leftovers

DrDick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:32 pm 16
In response to Suzanne @ 15

Took me years to learn how to cook for one. Even still, there are a lot of things I only make in bulk and then freeze (like stew, chili, marinara, etc.)

TalkingStick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:36 pm 17

No leftovers for me. Just threw out the bottles.

Twain | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:43 pm 18

These days between Christmas and the New Year are awful. I think of it as the Dead Zone. Everyone is tired and sorta cranky and there’s not much to do. I’m always glad when the New Year is celebrated and done. Do any of you feel like that?

DrDick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:45 pm 19
In response to Twain @ 18

I actually find it rather peaceful and relaxing.

Twain | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:47 pm 20

I don’t need any excitement but it always seems unsettled to me during this time. I have this urge to get out my new calendar and get on with it.

Larue | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:48 pm 21

Trader Joe’s?

What pups can afford to shop that place, regardless of ownership?

Sorry Lisa . . .

That’s some seriously elitist shopping . . .

You ain’t speaking to the masses . . .

No offense, but ya riled me just by the elitism of your diary’s tone.

Not like ya . . . a purported champion for the underdogs of life.

Most of us out here in real land make less than $50K annual for a family.

Might wanna keep that in mind . . .

DrDick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:52 pm 22

Think I will toddle off. Take care all!

Larue | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:52 pm 23
In response to Twain @ 18

Nope!

*G*

Suzanne | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:53 pm 24

g’nite dr dick

Twain | Tuesday December 28, 2010 08:55 pm 25
In response to Larue @ 23

Nice concise reply. Happy New Year!

karenb | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:03 pm 26

I love Trader Joe’s. Actually their cheeses are less expensive than Safeway and the other chains.

Happy New Year to all.

AitchD | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:15 pm 27
In response to Larue @ 21

*question marks*

Where I live (Charlotte NC) I can’t find a cheaper food store than TJ’s. (Well, none I’d trust.)

bigbrother | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:20 pm 28

Our government is so big it is spying on itself. Wow USG is leaking like a sieve. TBTS= To Big To Seal Duct tape won’t do it guys. G)

AitchD | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:26 pm 29

(My) TJ’s stopped claiming in writing that their products contain no MSG after I alerted the staff to the ingredients which are alternate ‘names’ for lawful amounts of MSG. (I didn’t want some vindictive lawyer to bring some kind of class-action suit. I happen to like MSG.)

robertarend | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:30 pm 30

Newt Gingrich is the worst: leftover from the 80s and now crawling with maggots, when will the media throw him out?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:37 pm 31
In response to AitchD @ 29

n”flavorings”? what else?

robertarend | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:37 pm 32

I meant to write leftover from the 90s, but everything else about his putridness is accurate according to my sources….

AitchD | Tuesday December 28, 2010 09:43 pm 33

“hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract”, etc.

source

stew at! | Wednesday December 29, 2010 07:13 am 34

Scary? To each her own.

Trader Joe’s doesn’t belong to “Aldi” – Joe Coulombe sold his company to the late Theo Albrecht, co-founder of Aldi. Theo’s heirs own Aldi Nord in Europe and Trader Joe’s in the U.S. of A. Aldi’s brother Karl owns Aldi South, which operates in Europe (the brothers split Europe and the rest of the world between them, so Aldi Nrth and Aldi South don’t compete directly), the U.S. (where Aldi stores have no connection with Trader Joe’s stores, don’t share warehouses or buyers, and sometimes compete directly with Trader Joe’s), Australia, etc.

Larue’s griping sounds more like sour grapes, or maybe ignorance to me. Lots of real food elitists hate Trader Joe’s because it ISN’T elite. (Read food snob bloggers like Gael Greene, denouncing the Trader Joe’s that opened on W.72nd St. in NYC. And where I live, Trader Joe’s is cheaper than A&P, Stop & Shop, and the other food chains. So where does Larue shop, exactly?