Late Night: Mystery Missile Fuels Conspiracy Theories

Oh noez! A super big giant phallo-missile mysteriously shot up in the air off of Catalina and no one at the Pentagon wants to talk. Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan told local the Los Angeles CBS affliate which had captured the Unknown Launch on camera:

Nobody within the Department of Defense that we’ve reached out to has been able to explain what this contrail is, where it came from.  So far, we’ve come up empty with any explanation.

Golly! One report has Former US Ambassador to NATO Robert Ellsworth, a former deputy secretary of defense, suggesting to CBS8 that

It could be a test firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile from a submarine underwater… to demonstrate mainly to Asia, that we can do that

But maybe it was just a commercial something or other, only FAA doesn’t know anything about it.
So I am thinking maybe it was some test rocket by an amateur, a brilliant under-employed substitute teacher. Or perhaps the street people of Santa Monica set off a giant bottle rocket. Your thoughts?

CNN’s update:

John Pike, a defense expert who is director of GlobalSecurity.org, said he believes he has solved the mystery.

“It’s clearly an airplane contrail,” Pike said Tuesday afternoon. “It’s an optical illusion that looks like it’s going up, whereas in reality it’s going towards the camera. The tip of the contrail is moving far too slowly to be a rocket. When it’s illuminated by the sunset, you can see hundreds of miles of it … all the way to the horizon.

Oh yeah, I believe that theory, or maybe it was flatulence from white winged pigs. Did you know there are actually pigs that don’t have cloven hooves, so technically they can be used for kosher bacon?

133 Responses to "Late Night: Mystery Missile Fuels Conspiracy Theories"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:01 pm 1

Maybe it was the hot air being released in advance of GWBush’s book tour?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:03 pm 2

Pigs without cloven hooves… what will they think of next? Horses with three toes?

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:04 pm 3

lisa!

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:05 pm 4

Lisa!

So do you think that the whackaloon militia types got hold of the Hamas manual for building homemade missiles?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:05 pm 5

I like the Freeway Underpass Denizens launching a bottle rocket.

That’s so much more exciting than… it was a plane.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:05 pm 6

Hey, Dr. Dick. Can I ask youse a statistical hypothetical question?

PierceNichols | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:07 pm 7

It was probably a commercial aircraft contrail viewed from an odd angle. See http://uncinus.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/4/.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:07 pm 8
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 6

Sure, though I am not sure I can answer it. I have some stats background, but it is not really my strong suit.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:07 pm 9
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 2

They are an ancient American breed called mulefoots, maybe 200 left in breeding stock.

PierceNichols | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:08 pm 10

More specifically, it was probably US Airways 808 from Hawaii to Phoenix, which passes over the LA basin around 5pm every day.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:09 pm 11

Can’t be all that ancient, since there were no pigs in the Americas until the Spanish got here.

Eli | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:09 pm 12

I understand the wingnutosphere is going wild about this, so here are some theories on what it could be:

1) Fluoride bomb to contaminate the purity of our essence.

2) Some kind of smart bomb that homes in on the gun censors planted by Obama’s ACORN census takers so that it can snatch up God-fearing gun owners and deliver them to the FEMA internment camps.

3) Something like an MX missile, but instead of warheads it’s full of black UN helicopters.

4) I’m not sure if this is physically possible, but maybe it could be some kind of Fairness Doctrine ICBM sent to silence American Patriots like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:10 pm 13
In response to Eli @ 12

It is full of self-guided ball gags.

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:11 pm 14
In response to Eli @ 12

maybe it was manned by those mice with human brains

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:11 pm 15

Any word on Bill Clinton’s whereabouts at the time of the “incident?”

PJEvans | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:11 pm 16
In response to PierceNichols @ 7

As I said on the LA Times story where the Pentagon was claiming that: I’ve never seen an airplane contrail that looked like that. Rockets and missiles, yes.
Do they think we’ve never seen launches before?

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:13 pm 17

Sorry Lisa but it’s obviously an aircraft contrail. For one thing it’s going way too slow for a missile. In order for it to be far enough away to appear to be going that slow and still be a missile, it would have to be several times larger than a Saturn V.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:14 pm 18

Suppose you had a grad student in your theory class from another graduate program, oh, say … social psychology. And said student is so thoroughly clueless that he can’t do anything more than copy senseless answers from the readings. Can’t interpret them, can’t even tell you what the author of the reading is trying to accomplish.

But the folks in the social psych program think he’s simply wonnerful, wonnerful.

Oh, and you told this student in the first week of class that he didn’t have the background and really, really, really ought to go get some background and come back next year.

Do you relax your grading standards and let him slide through like Booshy at Yale and Harvard, or do you enforce reasonable performance standards?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:14 pm 19

Cool. I wish I had space to have a couple of pigs.

PierceNichols | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:16 pm 20
In response to PJEvans @ 16

I have… and I’ve also seen a hell of a lot of launches, too — mostly out of Vandenberg although a couple from the Cape as well. That’s probably an airplane seen from head on — the site I linked has a bunch of other examples as well. A plane really is by far the most likely candidate, especially since there was a commercial flight in the right place, going the right direction, at approximately the right altitude, at the right time.

If you think it’s a rocket, hit Flickr and find a picture of the plume from the vicinity of Santa Barbara or somewhere else with a perpendicular view of the presumed flight path.

ratfood | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:17 pm 21

Mystery solved, it was just Flesh Gordon’s spaceship.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:17 pm 22
In response to Suzanne @ 14

My personal theory on that is this:

O’Donnell saw an episode of Pinky and the Brain and thought it was a documentary.

And yeah, I think the missal [sic] was designed, built and launched by those laboratory mice.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:19 pm 23

It was “chem trails to make it rain,” man!

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:19 pm 24
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 18

I am a notorious hard ass and always enforce the standards. I do not think that you do him or the other students any favors by reducing the standards. This is actually not an academic question, as I had the same issue come up last spring. You have done the decent thing and advised him that he is not up to the challenge. You can perhaps give him another warning, but otherwise he has no one to blame but himself.

Margot | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:20 pm 25

Now, up isn’t even down. Up is sideways.

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:21 pm 26

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:23 pm 27
In response to PJEvans @ 16

I’ve never seen an airplane contrail that looked like that.

I have. It’s a pretty common phenomenon over the water and especially over a cold body of water and especially when the air is very still. It’s a pretty common sight doing Pacific Carrier ops. Sorry conspiracy guys, normally I’d be all about that but not this time.

Also it’s clearly not following a ballistic path.

Adam503 | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:24 pm 28

Pike is an idiot. This is Southern California not Afghanistan. I think they’ve seen an aircraft contrail before

Vandenburg AFB is in SoCal. Almost everyone in SoCal has seen multiple rocket launches at Vandenburg, too

These state security pundits now just automatically go into lie mode.

It was a sub launched ICBM with a dummy warhead. It was a demonstration for China. Probably aimed at reminding China not to get any wild ideas on using China’s new anti-ship missile system better on any US carriers. Hot new anti-ship missiles can’t defend China from a nuclear response if they were do something dumb like take out a US carrier. It’s a pretty standard Cold War style demo intended to remind everyone we would all kill each other if any little wars got started between nuclear rivals.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:24 pm 29

I gave him more than one warning. It’s too late now, we’re way past the withdrawal (Cursos Interruptus) date.

He’s going to have to live with whatever happens.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:25 pm 30
In response to Margaret @ 27

Spoil sport! There goes my fantasy of the Patriot Minutemen Militia launching missile attacks against the FEMA camps in the desert.

donbacon | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:26 pm 31

It was clearly all the feathers from the pillow fight on this Lufthansa flight.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:27 pm 32
In response to Adam503 @ 28

Adam,

If you are correct, why were there no flight restrictions announced? Why were there no warnings to mariners issued? Both those things are routine in any sort of military test, whether it is an honest-to-doG systems test or a demonstration.

spocko | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:27 pm 33

I want to believe!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:27 pm 34

That would explain why the missile didn’t hit anything.

Jo Fish | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:28 pm 35

Yes, it was the airborne ACORN-bomb… duck and cover!!!

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:28 pm 36
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 29

You have done your part and the burden is now on him. It is hard, but that is what they pay us the big bucks for. You hate to be responsible for washing anyone out of grad school (or putting them in jeopardy), but if they are too dumb to take advice and warnings, they probably don’t belong there anyway.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:29 pm 37

Sorry. Alex Jones is going to have to push that one without my help. I’ve seen identical contrails far too often. Heck, I’ve seen weirder ones than that.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:30 pm 38

I know what I have to do. I just hate the appeals process. I’ve got a new Department Head, and I’m not sure she’ll have my back.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:30 pm 39
In response to Margaret @ 37

I do not doubt that you are correct. I was just having fun imagining abusurdist scenarios.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:32 pm 40
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 38

Ugh. That can get ugly. Fortunately, that is an issue I did not have to worry about. Sorry for your impending pain in the ass.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:32 pm 41
In response to Adam503 @ 28

Vandenburg is in Santa Barbara County which is way north of LA. That picture taken from LA was looking west, not north.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:32 pm 42
In response to Margaret @ 37

Living in the middle of CO airbases I see them all the time. Why can I see engine flare in this one, when I never do in the others?

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:33 pm 43

I know. That’s why I was responding in kind. Normally Jones isn;t even worth the wear on my typy fingers. ;)

Adam503 | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:34 pm 44
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 32

Military has their own own air/space traffic control monitoring system. It’s pretty standard for them to check to make sure nothing is down range that could get in the way. They’d delay the test if an airliner wandered into the same airspace. You know… standard military hurry up and wait mode.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:35 pm 45

There are two airports close by, Santa Monica which has private jets, and LAX if you want to go contrails.

If you want ot think cloud seeding, chemtrails.

Otherwise sub off Catalina wiht un armed ICBM. And like what happens to fish and stuff when those splash down?

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:35 pm 46

Wouldn’t those pigs also have to be ruminants to lose their treif status?

4cdave | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:35 pm 47
In response to Margaret @ 37

Phooey! I was hoping for something good, like a Chinese sub launching a missile as a warning to the US. Sure we pointed it west this time.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:36 pm 48
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 42

I saw that too. But it was a normal engine flare that one would see on a military jet in zone 5 (afterburner), which is illegal to use over populated areas because it’s way noisy and has a way of breaking window glass and so forth.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:37 pm 49
In response to AitchD @ 46

I believe that is correct. It has to have an uncloven hoof and chew its cud to be kosher.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:37 pm 50

Yeah, ICBMs have this nasty habit of coming down. Which is why they do all the warnings to aviators and mariners stuff.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:39 pm 51

So I guess there’s no hope for lobster, then.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:39 pm 52
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 50

Even the US military has not found a way to break the laws of nature (though they seem to have managed to break all the others).

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:40 pm 53

There are also military airfields on San Clemente. I’ve been there. We had an airplane go down there and I went to help recover it.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:40 pm 54
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 51

None at all, though it comes under a different category and is excluded along with all shellfish (and catfish!) for not having scales.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:41 pm 55

CBS news say FAA did not approve any commercial launches and Navy is denial.

Adam503 | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:42 pm 56

Sorry Margeret, but you are wrong.

Space launches from Vandenburg look VERY impressive in Los Angeles. I’ve seen the launches in LA, then seen the local news coverage showing the replays on the late news.

Space launches are a whole different animal you have to see live to understand.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:42 pm 57

The contrail vector doesn’t appear to point back to land.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:43 pm 58

I suppose it could have been a cruise missile but it certainly wasn’t a ballistic missile. But you wouldn’t have seen a flame from a cruise missile either, unless the engine had been fodded, though in that case, it wouldn’t have been flying…

applepie | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:44 pm 59

I thought it was Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina going home to Camazotz.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:45 pm 60
In response to Adam503 @ 56

I’ve seen several as well but that video was still looking west and south, not north.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:45 pm 61

I’ve seen space launches from Vandy in LA, Adam. Funny, but the contrail is always to the north-northwest. This was shot looking almost due west. It can’t be a Vandy-land launch, unless the San Andreas fault just moved really fast and no one happened to notice it at all.

TarheelDem | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:45 pm 62

…and have been able to do that for 40 years.

I looked at the video. My first impression was that it was a contrail. Only at the end did it look like it was moving vertically.

@45 Not only when it splashes down, but what does it do to fish between the time it is launched from the tube until it breaks the surface.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:46 pm 63
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 61

Must have greased that sucker while no one was looking.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:46 pm 64

I’m not real big on catfish, but I love lobster and shrimp.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:47 pm 65
In response to TarheelDem @ 62

Sort of your basic fish boil isn’t it?

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:47 pm 66
In response to applepie @ 59

Wow, I bet Chrissie O’Donnell is way jealous…

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:48 pm 67
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 57

No it doesn’t but that could simply be because that when the layer occurred that made the contrail visible, the aircraft was already in flight. Personally I thought it looked like it came from San Clemente or a carrier. CVs operate off the coast of LA all the time. That’s where the Navy does workups.

Sorry, I’m not going to buy this one.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:48 pm 68

Aha. I think you’re on to something. The USGS and CalTech geologists have been trying to figure out how the Hollister segment moves so smoothly. They figured it out and tested it.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:49 pm 69
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 64

I like catfish well enough, but the kicker for me is the pork and shellfish. No way I can get behind a religion (not that I can get behind any of them) that bans the finest foods on earth.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:49 pm 70

If it’s routine, why isn’t there a routine answer readily available?

That’s what gets people all itchy – a vacuum of information from routine systems that should be able to readily supply information and answer a question, and the systems don’t.

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:49 pm 71

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:51 pm 72
In response to TarheelDem @ 62

The Trident (which all we have left in service) does a cold launch. The main engine doesn’t ignite until the missile is clear of the water surface.

Anything near the surface is going to be cooked, but otherwise not so much.

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:51 pm 73
In response to Suzanne @ 71

The even more on topic Rock Lobster!

netmaker | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:53 pm 74

Wired.Com has an article on this as well. Article explanation is it was an airplane. The comments section however has some informed commentary to the contrary. Of course, no conclusion reached. There is some specific discussion that it would not have been flight 808 as that flight would have been out of the area and 30 minutes outside the time the film was recorded.

Wired Mystery Missile Story

4cdave | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:54 pm 75

4cdave | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:55 pm 76

…great minds…

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:55 pm 77
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 70

Who knows? The military doesn’t think it should have to answer questions from civilians I guess. I won’t try to guess what their motives are but I certainly don’t have any reason to cover for them. In fact, if anything, I have more than ample reason to be suspicious of them. This one just isn’t anything nefarious though. The physics aren’t there.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:56 pm 78
In response to netmaker @ 74

While it wasn’t a civilian flight. That much I’ll agree with.

Adam503 | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:56 pm 79
In response to Margaret @ 60

I don’t know what you’ve seen, Margeret. I know if you are comparing.If you are comparing cruise missiles and rocket powered ICBM, you have never seen a space vehicle launch live

Rocket powered space vehicles are different species of beast. The sound of the big rockets heading for space deep rumble reverberating off and around the landscape isn’t something that you easily mix up.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:57 pm 80

Anyway, it’s my bedtime so please feel free to believe what you wish. I’ll remove my particular fly from the conspiracy ointment. Oya kaji koinu! :)

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:58 pm 81
In response to Margaret @ 80

g’nite margaret

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:58 pm 82
In response to AitchD @ 46

Cloven hooves/cud chewing okay (cows)
Solid hooves/cud chewing bad (camels)
Solid hooves/no cud okay

DrDick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:59 pm 83
In response to Margaret @ 80

Night. Think I will toddle off as well. Have to corrupt those young minds hard tomorrow.

Margaret | Tuesday November 9, 2010 08:59 pm 84
In response to Adam503 @ 79

No, I wasn’t comparing them but please feel free to believe what you wish and to assign whatever nefarious motives to me. You can even insist on being deliberately obtuse in order to refute what I’m saying. As I said, I’m going to bed. Goodnight. :)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:00 pm 85

Juan Zarate, some Bush white house national security guy says NORAD says it WAS NOT a furren missul.

Might be “inadvertant” missile launch. Like “hey wut’s this button?”

ratfood | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:01 pm 86

I thought camels had toes? They do in my house anyway. Prolly outta lengthen my suspenders…

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:01 pm 87

I think I’m going to review my notes and head off to bed too.

Good night, conspiracy theorists.

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:01 pm 88

g’nite dr dick

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:01 pm 89
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 64

SEABUGS! Love ‘em!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:02 pm 90

Night Dr Dick!

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:02 pm 91
In response to Suzanne @ 88

fork…. i meant bct, g’nite bct

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:03 pm 92

Jews are porkeaters like other folk, and they eat the giant insects you call shellfish. Some Jews keep kosher, but not many. Still, it’s not nice to stir your sour cream with a fried pork rind in front of the rabbi.

Suzanne | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:03 pm 93

dang it, the leaving docs have me all confused.. i guess i had better take off some of this tin foil

Larue | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:05 pm 94
In response to PierceNichols @ 7

Bullshit.

Larue | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:14 pm 95

Folks, in case NONE of you have read up on this, even in MyFDL diaries, here’s a diary link, other links, and I’ll guide you to ADAM’S comment and many of mine.

A Finger At China. Or, A Mistake Of Magnitude.

Please, Pups, a little research?

Not a plane launched, not an amateur, not likely foreign subs of any sorts.

Either a major fuck up or an ICBM launch from OUR sub to tell China we CAN do this in the Pacific . . . because we’ve NOT done this in the past except in the Atlantic. (launch an ICBM from a sub in Pacific)

And of COURSE our phreakin military and government are gonna deny any and all reasons . . .

Get a grip ya tinfoiled puppy’s . . . geez.

Larue | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:17 pm 96
In response to PierceNichols @ 20

Bull shit . . . see the comments from the linky I posted to an MyFDSL diary earlier today . .

Your theory is greatly refuted by a number of folks.

Are you with the State Dept? Runnin PsyOps?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:19 pm 97
In response to AitchD @ 92

There are those who would like kosher bacon…

Meanwhile, I have found what the “missile” was either THIS or

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket, and refracted the light from Venus.

Larue | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:21 pm 98
In response to Adam503 @ 79

Adam, Mepe’s thread earlier, and the comments and links to OTHER threads really DO lean to your posit on all this.

It was a launch from a US sub, of an ICBM, for the first time in the Pacific.

To send a message . . . East. China, Russia . . . maybe even India (as a demo for all the shit we just sold them!).

*G*

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:25 pm 99
In response to Larue @ 98

yeha, i mena that’s kinda of given. “Oh hai, our POTUS is there and uh, we can can blow stuff up”

Surtt | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:30 pm 100

Wouldn’t Radar pick this up and be able to tell if it was a plane of missile?

beguiner | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:31 pm 101

Almost but not quite:

Cloven hooves/cud chewing — okay (cows, goats, lamb)
Solid hooves/cud chewing — bad (camels)
Cloven hooves/no cud chewing — bad (pigs)
Solid hooves/no cud chewing — bad (cats, dogs, and most other mammals)

Also kosher:

most types of poutlry (although much debate about Muscovy ducks)
fish with both scales and fins (excludes catfish and others)
certain types of locust / grasshopper (it must have four legs, four body-length wings, and jointed additional legs above its walking legs)

Surtt | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:32 pm 102
In response to Surtt @ 100

Sigh, someday edit will come back…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:34 pm 103

UFO spotted West VA..blue light moving jerkily.

RonD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:36 pm 104
In response to Larue @ 98

Evening, all-
I can’t get the video to play for some reason, so I can’t weigh in on this one…but I seriously doubt that the US has never launched an SLBM in the Pacific (link?)…and the knowledge that we can blow things up from submarines would be the most unsurprising piece of information ever, as we’ve been doing that for almost fifty years. There’s little tension in the Taiwan Straits right now, according to my Chinese friends…a message would have been closer to someone’s coast…Sorry, don’t buy it, without more info.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:37 pm 105

bad (cats, dogs, and most other mammals) I don’t think cats and dogs have “solid hooves”

There is debate about sturgeon and thus caviar.

Most people I know who keep kosher opt for vegetarian–easier.

The locust thing is cool, Yeminte Jews have special kosher locusts; nowadays most western rabbis say “all bugs” just to be safe, since those types of locusts are area-specific.

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:38 pm 106

You reminded me of something called beef fry. Observant Jews had it with eggs as I recall. If they were on a date. Otherwise it was salami.

Some people would like gefilte fish jerky for those long hikes.

Surtt | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:41 pm 107
In response to RonD @ 104

As 4cdave pointed out, maybe the message was from China to us.

Twain | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:45 pm 108

It was just a test by The Tea Party navy.

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:46 pm 109

Most people I know who keep kosher opt for vegetarian–easier.

When Franz Kafka turned pious and observant, he also stayed a vegetarian so he could never transgress. One of his critics points out that Kafka misses an important feature of keeping kosher, which is always being observant, i.e., paying careful attention to what you eat, how it’s slaughtered, how it’s prepared, what you eat it with, etc.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:47 pm 110
In response to Twain @ 108

LOL!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:48 pm 111
In response to AitchD @ 106

TWolf had a recipe for mushroon bacon from Sunday Food

someone on my facebook suggested the missile was

Malibu High School boys bored with the dampish ground

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:50 pm 112
In response to AitchD @ 109

Oy, Convenience, thy name is Par Eve

RonD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:51 pm 113
In response to Surtt @ 107

Could be, but there’s no need, once again, as tensions are low and China has had the capability for a long time as well…Maybe one of those ship launched ABM or ASAT missiles, like we shot down that satellite with a while back? That seems like something the Navy would deny…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:52 pm 114
In response to AitchD @ 109

I have friends with four sets of dishes: Meat, dairy, Passover and TAKE OUT

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:57 pm 115

MorningStar Bacon Strips are pretty good ersatz if you haven’t had the real thing in 20 years, and if you don’t over-fry them. For peanut butter and bacon toast sandwiches, chopped egg, mayo, and bacon toast sandwiches, and for chinese fried rice.

Twain | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:57 pm 116
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 110

Hey, Kelly – any snow?

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday November 9, 2010 09:59 pm 117
In response to Twain @ 116

Yep! Was fluffy at work, rainy/slurpeeish at home. It’s stopped for right now.

But more Thursday!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:00 pm 118

Bacon and missiles. an utterly pork-fic night!

yet no one mentioned Dr Strangelove!

spanishinquisition | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:09 pm 119

Just based on the response from the military (“we don’t know what it is, but can say there’s no danger”), I don’t think it was civilian. Either the military knows what it is, which if it was civilian, they’d go and point people to FAA radar data to show how they weren’t doing a test of a missile/rocket/spyplane/etc and the military can’t point to the ample radar and other data available to explain what it is, that too would also mean it wasn’t civilian.

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:11 pm 120

Dr. Strangelove was mentioned constantly for 93 minutes on TCM tonight/last night.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:16 pm 121

IT’S A CONSPIRACY!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:16 pm 122

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

AitchD | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:17 pm 123
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 112

Had Kafka lived longer surely he’d've written a story of Jewish Siamese twins still connected, one who keeps strictly kosher, and they’re at a restaurant with a two-fer coupon, and (from Leo Rosten) the kosher one admonishes the waiter to make sure his water glass is clean, and when the waiter brings the two water glasses he asks, Which one wanted the clean glass?

Mauimom | Tuesday November 9, 2010 10:40 pm 124

BC, think of it this way: you’re doing a favor for the rest of us as well.

I don’t want a doctor who’s this dumb, or a lawyer, or a research scientist, or librarian, or kindergarten teacher.

Passing an idiot like this on through the system, instead of letting them flunk out, just inflicts them on the rest of us. To our detriment.

b456 | Tuesday November 9, 2010 11:53 pm 125

Know someone who worked with jets and missiles for 48 years. It was a missile. And anyone who thinks the military HAS to notify anyone of a launch should read “Compromised” by Terry Reed, an ex CIA op.
Google “Operation Sea Spray”, go to the article about Reed. They fly planes in and out of the U.S. without ever being seen by any radar.
Does our gov. lie to us?

kabuki101 | Wednesday November 10, 2010 02:01 am 126
In response to Adam503 @ 28

What exactly defends the US against a massive nuclear response from China then? And there’s a whole other can of worms. Exactly how many ballistic missile mounted thermonuclear weapons does China possess today? The claim is 20 or so, at near-SCUD levels of sophistication – the claim by the US state security organs that lie about things all the time that is. Probably best not to find out the hard way that China has much more than that.

kabuki101 | Wednesday November 10, 2010 02:05 am 127

And if as the former ambassador there suggests, this was a “warning (threat)” to China, then it is safe to conclude that government in the USA is officially brain dead. The Chinese have the US’s balls in a vice. Economically for sure. Militarily, possibly. You definitely should not go rattling their cage. They can inflict immense pain in a fiendlishly diverse number of ways. Start with global commodity monopolies and work on down from there.

reddog | Wednesday November 10, 2010 03:46 am 128

It’s an exhaust plume from a jet. I have an almost identical contrail in a picture I took of a sunset over the mountains.

mspuzz10 | Wednesday November 10, 2010 06:39 am 129

The problem I have with the optical illusion jet contrail idea is that I would think the crew in the traffic helicopter would have seen this before. We’ve had commercial jet air traffic for 50 or so years and in 2010 someone just noticed this “optical illusion” and mistook it for a missile, to the extent that it made world news and after more than 24 hours the big brains in the Pentagon figured it out? Something is not right here.

GeorgeJohnston | Wednesday November 10, 2010 08:10 am 130

Sorry, folks, my bad. I was testing my Second Amendment remedies.

papau | Wednesday November 10, 2010 10:00 am 131

So is it US Airways Hawaii to Phoenix running an hour late – and if so why not just pull up the radar? Or is a “BOO” at China via a sub launch. The lack of government pouring out facts makes one think a government activity.

So this “obviously a missile launch” is from sub, land, or surface boat, and if from land where?. There is a privately operated missile facility at Vandenburg Air Force Base, called the Spaceport. It launches missiles for commercial and government customers including the usual secret “black operation” satellite launchs (do you ever wonder where the backup mirror for the Hubble space telescope went?). The first comment by the government was that it wasn’t a military launch and that it wasn’t a threat to US security – and that is true if a CIA launch.

One does not talk about secret launches – and one puts them to bed via medias saying things like “a reasonable explanation is contrails” – because contrails would be a reasonable explanation if a plane was there at the right time. It is just bad luck the US Airways flight was not late and therefore the time window is a little rough.

link to the map showing the directions that the Spaceport launches satellites: http://www.calspace.com/SSI/Launch_Azimuth.html . The location of this mystery launch is consistent with the map.

Spaceport operator describes operation : http://www.calspace.com/SSI/Information.html .

As with all secret stuff, our media repeats not investigative reporter conclusions, it just regurgitates the government’s preferred responses.

This will die out in a few days – but it is fun to watch. And there is always the possibility we did not launch – perhaps someone else want to say “BOO” to us? That first stage/second stage separation flare sure is hard to explain.

captjjyossarian | Wednesday November 10, 2010 10:26 am 132

Major Major has announced a press briefing on this matter to be held in his office at the Pentagon. Unfortunately, Major Major will not be in his office during the press briefing.

dbmetzger | Wednesday November 10, 2010 10:57 am 133

Here’s what the CBC (aliens from Canada)has to report.

US Defense Department: Missile Launch Still Unexplained
The US Defense Department says it is trying to figure out whether a missile was launched off the coast of Southern California and who might have launched it. http://www.newslook.com/videos/264840-us-defense-department-missile-launch-still-unexplained?autoplay=true