Cannabis Soda Pops Up as MMJ Delivery System

Smoking pot is the quickest way to get high and really the best way to regulate your dosage of medical marijuana (MMJ). But you’re smoking and that sucks, especially if  you are trying to keep your immune system happy. Vaporizing is an option though you have to haul the device around with you and well, you’re still kind of assaulting your lungs.

God bless you, Alice B. Toklas for your legendary brownies and to all the other innovators of cannabis cookery. Check in on Sunday when I share a couple recipes for medical marijuana foods. Granted, it can be a little challenging to know exactly a proper dose of mota munchie; and a stomach high is different from the head high. Edibles are a good way to use leaves and “larfy” buds that might not be up to dispensary standards in the 14 states which allow medical marijuana.

When I was at HempCon I came across Pineapple Express from Kushtown Sodas and now a Colorado company has just launched Dixie Elixirs, a cannabis laced soda pop in eight flavors including rootbeer, pink lemonade and grape. Dixie is only available in Colorado, where it’s made from sativa marijuana. The company claims

Dixie Elixirs refreshing carbonated beverage provides an organic alternative for patients seeking a refreshing but equally potent alternative to smoke and tinctures, or carb and calorie loaded edibles…

• Carbonation delivers relief faster
  • Easy to enjoy with discretion
  • Consistently delicious, reliably potent
  • Relieves a wide range of symptoms
  • Use alone or to increase and enhance other MMJ medication
  • Discreet? With that big pot leaf on the recyclable bottle?

Most likely the cannabinoids are extracted with glycerin, a method I have used to make other herbal extracts for people who avoid alcohol. The reviews of Kushtown haven’t been great: At $12 a bottle, consumers claim doesn’t produce much of a buzz. No one mentioned if the soda alleviated their symptoms, though if their symptom was “not being buzzed”  then the soda was def fail!  We’ll see what Colorado connoisseurs have to say about Dixie Elixirs.

Soda as medicine is nothing new: Coca-Cola once famously contained coca leaf extract,producing a cocaine-like lift for consumers.  7-Up, with a nice dose of lithium citrate–an old school treatment for bipolar mood disorder back when it was called manic depression–was originally marketed as Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda.

15 Responses to "Cannabis Soda Pops Up as MMJ Delivery System"
    Teddy Partridge | Friday October 22, 2010 05:33 pm 1

Just wait until Dianne Feinstein hears about this! If her husband can’t make money off it, she’ll be pissed.

k2o4 | Saturday October 23, 2010 11:58 am 2

Edibles seem to have a long way to go still – I’ve yet to run into an edible at a dispensary that worked.

newtonusr | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:06 pm 3

The whole munchie thing reset yet again.

“Have a swig and a smile”…
    No, will have to noodle this some more.

Petro | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:07 pm 4

I did not know that!

dakine01 | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:15 pm 5
    In response to k2o4 @ 2

I recall w-a-y back when at a party where some homemade chocolate chip cookies were made from scratch. Not sure how many dozens were actually made but using regular ol’ Columbian weed in ’75, I ate two cookies and wound up wiped for about the next 18 hours or so.

I think Ralphie made two ozs into cannabutter but I do know I was stoned when I woke up the next day at noon and still had a buzz at 6PM.

Twain | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:20 pm 6
    In response to dakine01 @ 5

I want to know if it helps pain. Do you know?

Petro | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:22 pm 7
    In response to dakine01 @ 5

That’s the problem with the comestibles. Ya can’t titrate properly, so you’re likely to be stoned for a long time. Also, I think the stomach acids take out the “treble” compounds, leaving only the stony “bass.”

Then there’s the “problem” of the munchies. When another brownie looks just so yummy…

~~~ModNote: We were about to suggest that you clear your caches.~~~

kindGSL | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:22 pm 8
    In response to k2o4 @ 2

The lemon bars at Blue sky kick butt.

dakine01 | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:36 pm 9
    In response to Twain @ 6

I was in my early twenties at the time and know I wasn’t feeling much pain that evening and the next day.

But don’t know how it would have been against real pain.

Petro | Saturday October 23, 2010 05:41 pm 10
    In response to Petro @ 7

Thank you, face red, not stoned at the moment (promise!)

kindGSL | Saturday October 23, 2010 06:23 pm 11

ASA Forum » Online Media Buzz » CN BC: Medical Marijuana Advocate Michelle Rainey Dies From Cancer

fatster | Saturday October 23, 2010 09:34 pm 12

Toklas’ “brownies” were more like miniature fruitcakes than what we know as brownies today. No baking involved, either.

fatster | Saturday October 23, 2010 09:35 pm 13
    In response to Petro @ 10

But . . . but . . . it’s Saturday night! Don’t y’all celebrate that up yonder?

bobby42 | Sunday October 24, 2010 08:48 am 14

I’ve been purchasing and using “FriendlyCeutical” beverages here in LA for over a year now. Prefer the drink to smoking. $15/bottle. Variety of flavors. Label says each bottle contains three medical doses. Point being: I get pain relief drinking this stuff. Quite different from the edibles; no relief from that stuff at all. Quickest relief is from smoking, however, but that’s my least favorite approach.

pokums | Sunday October 24, 2010 10:37 am 15

Based on a High Times 10/83 article, I’ve made many batches of THC-infused home-brew, aka Hi-Brew. Like munchies tend to be, the batches have ranged from potent to pretty benign. Unlike munchies, I’d expect the combo of pot and alcohol raises a whole slew of legal problems wrt hi-brew’s possible distribution in the MMJ states.