Fishes, Witches, Christians, Heathens and Haters

So I’m in bed with Pat Robertson, hopefully not sleeping with the fish, on the issue of  genetically engineered salmon. When I read between the lines of this Christian Broadcast Network report, I definitely got the vibe that Frankenfish cakes will not be served in the CBN cafeteria, even during Lent.

Salmon is considered to be one of the healthiest fish to eat. But instead of eating the salmon God made, would you eat the salmon that humans have tinkered with a bit?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is debating whether or not such fish are safe for people to eat and if it should be labeled as such.

Genetically-engineered salmon are designed to grow twice as fast.

On the other hand maybe Christians are just jealous, because science is on the verge of duplicating the “loaves and fishes” miracle.

Tonight on Hannity, Christine O’Donnell said” unfortunately” she did Bill Maher’s show Politically Incorrect a lot. She explains to Hannity that her witchcraft sex-capades were:

Teenage rebellion..some people dabble in drugs to rebel, that’s how I rebelled. But who didn’t do some questionable things in high school? Who doesn’t regret the 80s to some extent. I certainly do, and I most certainly regret bringing it up to Bill Maher.

Good point. There were some very regrettable moments in the 80s.

I’ll share some of mine if you share yours.

But could we also take a look at her “satanic” comment?

One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn’t know it. I mean, there’s a little blood there and stuff like that.

Just like there are Baptists that drink, Catholics who support liberation theology  and a variety of other shades and hues in the Christian coloring book–as well as some who go outside the lines–there are all variety of witches. Not all witches are Satanists. Or Druids,  Wiccans, Re-Weavers, Dianic, shamans, or members of the Ancient, Secret and Unacceptable Order of the Almond Bear Claw Danish Qabalistic Coffee Coven ™, any more than not all Christians are narrow-minded theocratic, anti-sex, anti-gay, fundamentalists. Heck, some witches aren’t even religious, they just have mad skillz.

But some fundamentalist sects of Abrahamic faiths have declared anything that is not their religion to be Satanic. Which I suppose includes all of the other faiths not just those who worship in a pre-Christian manner.  And “Satan” per se is a construct of the Abrahamic faiths.

Calling witches and others of reconstructed/revisioned pre-Christian practices “heathens” or “pagans” is using Christian terminology; we are defining ourselves as  The Other (though maybe the terms go as far back as the Roman Empire? But I’ve only seen them attributed to post-Christ writers).  I guess it could be seen as using a perjorative to take back the power of a word, but maybe there’s a better one.

While we’re on the subject of fundamentalists, nice one, staff member/s of Senator Saxby Chambliss:

Sen. Saxby Chambliss has confirmed that the “All faggots must die” comment left here on JMG [joemygod.com] earlier today did indeed come from his Atlanta office.

Way to stay classy.

156 Responses to "Fishes, Witches, Christians, Heathens and Haters"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:00 pm 1

Happy Late night. Plus Dancing wiht the Stars audience results are in! The show is about to start. Bristol scored 6 6 6

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:04 pm 2

lisa!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:08 pm 3

Hey Suzanne!

Pannochka | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:08 pm 4

The way I understand it is that the salmon are not “GM” but given growth hormones…and I definitely want to avoid eating fish fed that.

I saw a little story on CNN today (which only had one person tasting, so not a scientific double blind study of course)where they had GM or Modified food versus more natural fair grown by small farmers. the regular food was smaller…but tasted way better (as I would expect).
the modified foods looked bigger and better…but the were modified to hold more water…so more could be charged for it.

GM foods are made to resist pests, make it to market, look good or not be able to reproduce…so designed to save agribusiness money.
GM foods are not designed to taste better….that is the least of food producer’s concerns.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:08 pm 5

Lisa!

Back in the 80s and 90s there were a lot of teenagers who “dabbled in witchcraft” inspired by heavy metal music videos and bad horror movies, especially in conservative, religious, rural areas (though there were a lot in the Chicago suburbs as well). If (a very big if) this is not just bullshit or some delusional fantasy, I suspect this is what it was.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:09 pm 6
In response to Pannochka @ 4

I currently have 3.5 lbs of wild Alaska salmon filets in my freezer and I ain’t touching no frankenfish.

AZ Matt | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:11 pm 7

Nobody is asking it so I will – did O’Donnell lose her virginity to a “PAGAN”???!!!

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:12 pm 8
In response to AZ Matt @ 7

guess it depends on what she meant when she called it a picnic

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:13 pm 9

The genetically engineered fish have growth hormones from another species of fish. Ugh!

Dr Dick, I concur wiht you on that, dabbled–and sloppily too!

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:13 pm 10
In response to AZ Matt @ 7

Maybe one of these guys.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:14 pm 11
In response to AZ Matt @ 7

I think O’Donnell meant that her first date wiht this witch was on an altar NOT her first “date” ever.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:16 pm 12

Bristol scored 6 6 6

She is her mother’s daughter.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:16 pm 13

It wasn’t Wiccan or Satanism or anything else even vaguely authentic, just bad adolescent fantasies.

While I am not entire adverse to genetic manipulation in theory, I want a whole lot of testing over long periods before this shit is released into the food chain. There have been far too many “unintended consequences” from premature embrace of this kind of thing.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:16 pm 14
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 12

Florence Henderson also scored 6 6 6

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:17 pm 15
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 12

There is a god and she has a wicked sense of humor.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:17 pm 16

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Blood Sacrifice Satanism? I doubt she was hanging with African Americans doing Vodoo

AZ Matt | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:18 pm 17
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 12

Bristol is devil-spawned.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:19 pm 18
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 16

There was a lot of blood sacrifice in a lot (most) of the European pagan religions. Mostly livestock, but the occasional human as well.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:19 pm 19

Drugs caused the fantasy beer never made me think I was partying on a bloody altar.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:19 pm 20

I’m not surprised. :-P

radiofreewill | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:20 pm 21

Just watch, they’re gonna fuck over the cats with those Frankenfish…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:21 pm 22
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 16

Satanism is worshiping Satan. You don’t have to have blood for that, you just dooo eeeet! The Romans, Greeks, Jews all did blood sacrifices. Jesus said, nope I will be bloody but unbowed for you on the cross.

ergo, to Christians who have the dualist conceit of “if there is God there must be the opposite–only not as powerful because that would be confusing” that which is NOT Christian is Satanic.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:22 pm 23

Dr Dick is Modern Witchcraft into blood sacrifice? If we tie her to Satanists who is to say she is not a Satanist Plant?
Karl Hates her I hope he is reading the Lake today just what percent of the Lake’s audience are GOPer trolls and paid researchers?

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:23 pm 24
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 23

I will defer to Lisa on this as I think she is more familiar with the modern scene than I. My knowledge is mostly from the historical sources.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:24 pm 25

Maybe we should ask her for a clarification on this point?

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:25 pm 26

666 I think the judges on the show did that for ratings:)

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:25 pm 27

Does she go to the next round how did she really do in anyone’s opinion?

TalkingStick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:25 pm 28
In response to Pannochka @ 4

If you are eating meat you are already eating growth hormone. GM is I think most used to create farm crops that will not produce viable seeds. Thus protecting patents and forcing farmers to buy seed each year.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:27 pm 29

I much prefer Ray Wylie Hubbard’s Satanist encounter.

Pannochka | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:27 pm 30

I would like this person O’Donnell dated back in the day to come forward.

$20 says he was no pagan or similar….but someone really into D&D.
That is almost Satanism to the religious right anyways.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:27 pm 31

Has anyone here tasted the new improved salmon?

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:28 pm 32
In response to TalkingStick @ 28

Most of that is achieved by old fashioned selective breeding to produce sterile hybrids.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:29 pm 33
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 31

Hell, I won’t even buy farmed salmon because it doesn’t taste like much of anything.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:30 pm 34

Dang Lisa! Those first 7 words might be the most disturbing thing I’ve ever read.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:30 pm 35

Would you listen to Robertson or O’Donnell if they claim there are no atheists on Mars?

I remember a bubble-gum card with Luther Burbank as the featured great American, great owing to his genetic experiments that gave us Skippy, Jif, and Mr. Peanut himself.

My parents, or their ancestors, inadvertently genetically engineered me so I could digest cow’s milk. Aren’t cows genetically engineered bovines?

Will the poor designer fishies be able to breed, or will they be like sad soy and corn?

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:31 pm 36
In response to ratfood @ 34

They actually made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:31 pm 37
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 23

TCU, modern witches don’t do “blood sacrifices” Heck neither do Satanists (AND THE TWO ARE NOT THE SAME unless you are some narrow minded fundie!) mainly because they are hard to clean up after, though Some people prick their fingers and stuff. We did at my wedding, and my now-ex also broke a glass.

There are however several faiths form the West African Diasporic religions which sometimes have animal sacrifces; but usually you can just leave a plate of cooked food or somehting.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:32 pm 38
In response to ratfood @ 34

Ahahahahah!

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:34 pm 39
In response to AitchD @ 35

I’d like to send Robertson and O’Donnell to Mars. Just think, they could be the Adam and Eve of the red planet and start a whole new race of inbred cretins.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:35 pm 40

In a number of West African religions their Western Hemispheric descendants at least some of the gods require blood. Each god has its own requirements. Chango requires blood, but Ezili (sp?) gets flowers and such.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:35 pm 41
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 31

Hasn’t hit the store shelf yet. I will decline to taste it, but then again, most cooked fish makes me queasy. Raw is fine, the occasional fish and chips and seared or canned tuna (tho no more tuna now or even most swimming sushi, they are super overfished) I can handle, shell fish and other treyf NO problem. But cooked fish is freakishly awful to me.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:36 pm 42

I agree the two are not the same I thought if anyone did blood sacrifice it was the Satanists. I doubt this girl hangs with West Africans that leaves heavy metal want to be witches from the burbs who are trying to worship Satan.
But still that leaves real witches and Satanists in the clear then. GOP suburban culture is then on trial.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:36 pm 43

LOL!

The bathtub lady Jack canoodled in The Shining would be more appealing. :)

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:37 pm 44

Loves me some fish raw or cooked any way you can. Probably a good thing I live in the middle of 4 blue ribbon trout streams.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:38 pm 45

Thanks to the Gulf Oil spill I’m not sure whats safe to eat and I don’t trust the corporations to tell me the truth still I am tempted and I admit I might fail once in a while I love sea food.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:39 pm 46

Now I want to visit:)

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:40 pm 47

if it isn’t fished locally, i don’t eat it. am thankful to be in the pnw and have an abundance of local seafood available

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:40 pm 48

Erzuli in voodoo.

Oshun, who similar to Erzuli but in Santeria, does have a sacrifice animal. Most sacrifices are bought for initiations or MAJOR work, and are cooked and eaten afterward.

Mainly food sacrifices are done. The loa/orishas are very flexible; they know that nowadays it is as much a sacrifice to drive to the Valley and get some goat or beef tongue for us as it would be back in the old days to procure said item.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:40 pm 49
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 45

Friend of mine who visited N.O. during the summer said thanks to BP there were no oysters to be found anywhere and all the shrimp in town had been imported from Vietnam…

Twain | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:40 pm 50
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 45

If you trust your butcher, ask where their salmon is from. If they say the Pacific Northwest, you’ll be okay. Lots of great fish come from the Pacific and are safe.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:41 pm 51

Have you any idea how expensive Lovaza (prescription-only fish oil) is? A couple hundred bucks for a month’s worth. My triglycerides level is 71, I never ate fish anyway: what am I doing here?

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:41 pm 52
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 45

Mexican shrimp is still good if you can get it where you are. We are fortunate here in western Montana that virtually all of our seafood comes in from the Pacific (mostly Seattle).

Pannochka | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:41 pm 53
In response to TalkingStick @ 28

Exactly. They want crops that will survive their own herbicide (thus being able to sell a lot of that herbicide) and crops that farmers can’t save seeds for. And they do this in parts of the world where people have been saving seeds for millenia.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:43 pm 54

Karl hates this girl any idea how he is going to smack her? I think a leak to the NY times or Bill Mahr might do it. Karl does not want the Tea Baggers blaming him if she falls of course we should attribute any leaks to him just to provoke a GOP civil war.
After all we did not leak all that stuff that came out about the Family a year ago someone high up in GOP circles did.
We use Google Karl uses detectives and probably phone taps that are suppose to be looking for terrorists.

TalkingStick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:44 pm 55

Not to be contentious and I don’t have links but I am fairly certain that GM also is highly employed in this area. I will try to find links but don’t hold your breath. It’s late.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:45 pm 56
In response to AitchD @ 51

Cod liver oil is cheap the stuff in the green bottle is good on pasta.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:46 pm 57
In response to Suzanne @ 47

I won’t eat seafood unless it’s fresh. Well… fresh or Mrs. Paul’s (kidding).

The restaurant where I worked as a cook 30 years ago had all-you-can-eat fryer specials every night of the week. Cooked a ton of perch in my day. Truthfully, a lugnut would probably be edible if dipped in batter and deep-fried.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:46 pm 58
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 42

Totally. And suburban kids dabbling.

And then there’s the West Memphis Three

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:48 pm 59
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 54

With any luck she’ll be indicted before November.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:50 pm 60
In response to Pannochka @ 53

These are really two different things. The pesticide resistant stuff is genetically modified. The sterile hybrids are from old fashioned selective breeding and have been around since long before genetic modification was even possible. What they have been doing in Mexico is worse. They have gone into fields and charged the farmers with patent infringement under NAFTA if they find any genes from their special varieties in the farmer’s crops (where it gets through wind born fertilization). The worst case is where one of the seed companies selectively bred a hybrid strain based on an indigenous canario bean variety that had been cultivated by local people for millennia and then sued to force them to stop growing them because of patent infringement.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:50 pm 61

Karl Rove is upset that anyone steps away form his puppetry. I saw O’Donnell al the way through on Hannity. She says that her opponents are atttacking her character because they can’t touch her on the issues.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:52 pm 62
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 56

There’s not much cod left on the planet, and no fish oil (except Lovaza) is clean of mercury. It’s how it is now.

TalkingStick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:54 pm 63
In response to TalkingStick @ 55

Well it is of course more complex than can be said in a few words.

Here is a link to what looks like a good discussion in a reputable journal. Link

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:55 pm 64

Oh my! I imagine Sharron Angle is in the same boat. They should change the name from Tea Party to Pity Party.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:57 pm 65
In response to AitchD @ 62

So wait my mcrofiltrated fish oil is full of mercury! Yikes. Maybe I shold stick wiht flax, borage and evening primrose

Margot | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:58 pm 66
In response to ratfood @ 39

No, no! Send the good seed to populate Mars.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 08:58 pm 67
In response to ratfood @ 64

The nobility not pleased when the peasants decide that they should actually have a voice in things.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:01 pm 68

Not sure about that. It may be possible to filter it out. Pretty much all seafood and fish contains at least trace amounts of mercury. It gets into the atmosphere from emissions (among other sources) and precipitates out in the rain. With most of it, this is not a big deal as the amount is too small to do harm, but it can build up over time.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:02 pm 69
In response to Margot @ 66

How much postage will that require?

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:04 pm 70

Lisa !

Margaret Cho killed on Dancing last night, but the snobby Judges pretended not to get her humor, then fawned over Bristol … brown nosers all !

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:04 pm 71

They jangled their keys in front of voters but for some reason this time it didn’t stop their crying.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:05 pm 72

OMG not otvershare but damn, the dog is gassy. He had canned doggie lamb stew.. OMG this is horrible, I am cryiign

Beerfart Liberal | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:06 pm 73

what the f*ck is that picture?

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:06 pm 74

Franken-fish are best served with Franken-sauce. Sheesh.

Wiccans are best served up on toast with mustard, and nobody eats atheists, all icky and shit.

What the problem is, I’ll never know.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:06 pm 75
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 27

Da Hoff was even worse than her and only person could get voted off … besides, I’m sure the Paliniacs™ will vote Bristol all the way to Final Four.

solerso | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:07 pm 76

Ive read that the term “witch” probably goes back to pre christian times. In old (really really old) English, when it was closer to proto germanic, wicca and wicce were in use. Wicca was the masculine form and refered to an auguary, a diviner of some unknown kind. Auguaries were fortune tellers and the Roman Tacitus described many different methods in Use by some of the tribes who would become the Saxon confederation in late antiquity(The Chatti, Marcomani Tergoviste, Chauci). It was just easiest i guess for the church to call everything Satanic, it prevented long explanations, which prevented arguments which the missionary might not win

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:07 pm 77
In response to Petrocelli @ 70

To be fair Margaret only spent about 9 of her 90 seconds dancing… not that I watched (looks around guiltily).

Margot | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:08 pm 78
In response to ratfood @ 69

“Reply hazy, try again later”

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:08 pm 79
In response to ratfood @ 71

I have said for years that this was going to happen eventually. The Plutocrats manipulated the Talibangelicals and mouth breathers to get the votes they needed to win elections promising them the moon and then ignoring them when they got into office. They though they could control the mob, but it was obviously that it would eventually turn around and bite them on the ass.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:09 pm 80

Flaxseed oil is linseed oil, but it will help save your life with its Omega-3 fatty acids. I stopped taking it because of its immediate laxative effect. Later I found out it’s also linseed oil. Had I known sooner, I could have licked off the scraping from my many bookshelves, and gotten some fiber also.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:10 pm 81

I suspect that Cho will be knocked off, BUT you can vote a gajillion times.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:10 pm 82

Elimination round.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:11 pm 83

CHO IS SAFE!!!

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:11 pm 84
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 73

I think it may be cod. BTW, it is only Atlantic cod that have been over fished. There are still are still good stocks of Pacific cod (as well as similar fish that are often called cod, but really aren’t).

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:12 pm 85
In response to Beerfart Liberal @ 73

Catch of the day!

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:13 pm 86

My doctor considers most fish and seafood (and all fish oil except Lovaza) unsafe.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:14 pm 87
In response to ratfood @ 77

She was great, and not just because I like her … she spoofed Madame Butterfly and the Judges did not get her humor, but canoodled with the JerseyBoy & Bristol.

Not that they’re sucking up for ratings or anything …

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:14 pm 88

Yeah, it’s hard to charm snake-handlers.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:16 pm 89
In response to AitchD @ 86

Good luck with that. Hopefully s/he told you to go vegan then.

Because the rest of the protein sources really aren’t pretty or for the weak of heart.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:16 pm 90
In response to Petrocelli @ 87

I think maybe they fear the conservative viewer backlash if they are too hard on Bristol but she was terrible… or so I heard.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:17 pm 91

Uh I support jacking off expecting everyone not to is insane her issues are as funny as her character.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:17 pm 92
In response to Petrocelli @ 87

But the Situation is up for elimination! I hope he goes before the Hoff who is at least bearable to look at, despite his eye tuck.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:17 pm 93
In response to AitchD @ 86

If it’s Omega you require, there are other less expensive alternatives to Lovaza. Contact Dr. Neal Barnard at http://www.nealbarnard.org – he is very well versed in alternatives.

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:17 pm 94
In response to ratfood @ 90

not as bad as hasselhoff….

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:18 pm 95
In response to Petrocelli @ 87

To be fair it is theoretically a dance competition. You can insert some comedy but you need to keep dancing. Or at least that would be my opinion if I watched…

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:19 pm 96
In response to Petrocelli @ 75

Good more laugh if she is stuck dancing next to good dancers because Sarah’s flying monkey’s vote for her.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:20 pm 97
In response to AitchD @ 86

In part that depends on your health and doctors vary in how conservative they are about these things. Sounds like yours is of the no risks at all school. We have to be careful about eating fish out of some of the rivers here because of the heavy metal legacy of over a century of mining. Levels are low, but women of childbearing age should severely restrict their intake and pregnant women shouldn’t eat it at all. The metals accumulate in the body over time and it only takes relatively small amounts to have adverse affects on a developing fetus. The body does eliminate them eventually, but VERY slowly. Fat old men like me, however, can pretty much eat as much as we want, as we will undoubtedly be dead of something else long before the heavy metals are a problem.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:21 pm 98
In response to Suzanne @ 94

Yep. I feel a little sorry for the hoff, he seems to have so much trouble staying one step ahead of his demons. I haven’t learned most of their names but the retired NBA star was surprisingly good. They have had other basketball players in the past and they were terrible.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:22 pm 99
In response to ratfood @ 95

Most Yoga/Meditation teachers are way too serious … if I couldn’t teach yoga/meditation with humor, I wouldn’t teach, so I loved Margaret’s parody.

The British Judge who chastised her then went on to praise Kurt Warner as having grace and rhythm. Kurt is a great QB but last night, he was as graceful as a sick Goat. These Judges are inherently biased, IMO.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:24 pm 100
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 96

At this point there are a few contestants who are worse than Bristol. Will be annoying if it reaches a point where her ma’s supporters keep her in at the expense of better contestants but I won’t be surprised since things like that have happened before.

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:24 pm 101
In response to ratfood @ 98

it looked like he really was’t trying to me… at least florence henderson looked like she was really trying and trying to have fun. hoff was just kinda yeah whatever

i watched the review show before tonight’s elimination round — first time i’ve ever watched dwts

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:26 pm 102
In response to Petrocelli @ 93

I don’t require omega (supplement), to my knowledge. I may suffer someday if I lack it. I’ve sought out alternatives to fish and fish oil, and I’ve come up blank. I eat eggs with the carton claim of some omega-3 in the chicken feed (mostly from insects).

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:27 pm 103
In response to Petrocelli @ 99

True and a sick goat would exhibit more personality. I think the judges have learned that sometimes it’s better to kill a bad contestant with kindness. Coming down hard tends to fire up their fan base. Len had a good quip about The Situation. “It’s never too soon to panic.”

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:29 pm 104
In response to AitchD @ 102

If they are commercially raised (non-organic), it is probably from fish meal which is extensively used in animal feed (especially for chickens).

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:30 pm 105

My doctor goes by his bell curves. The thing about fish oil as a supplement is that it’s concentrated and it’s eaten every day. Most contaminated foods aren’t ‘bad’ for you unless you eat them all the time.

ratfood | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:31 pm 106
In response to Suzanne @ 101

I started watching it with my mom when she was alive. It’s the only reality show I’ve ever sat through. Didn’t know if I’d continue after she passed but it is kind of interesting. You get some sense of just how freaking hard it is. Most of the pros appear to be of east European or Russian descent. I think ballroom must be really big there.

Going to call it a night. Thanks to Lisa. Splendid evening to all.

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:32 pm 107
In response to ratfood @ 106

g’nite rat

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:33 pm 108

I can’t say I’ve seen eggs that are both organic and omega-3 enriched.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:33 pm 109

Hi ‘lakers.

Got my exam done writ, so I can come by and say hi.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:34 pm 110

G’night, RF. Sorry I missed ya.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:34 pm 111
In response to ratfood @ 106

Good night, good luck, and gefilte fish.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:35 pm 112
In response to AitchD @ 105

Well, eat with fear all you like.

Sorry but I am sick of food source freaks. Live with the sources and one comes to the table, literally with a different idea.

Clean a chicken and eat it. Ditto a fish. Those are easy compared to the other protein sources, like pork or beef.

For lard’s sake, even making sauerkraut (which is currently underway at my place) yields scum that one has to get rid of.

Food, before it gets to you, and your plate, isn’t pretty. That’s just the truth of it.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:36 pm 113
In response to AitchD @ 105

This is true. With mercury and other heavy metals, it is mostly building up small amounts over time until you have a problem. the more you eat the source, the quicker you build up the levels. The dangerous level is also proportionate to body size. this is why I do not really have to worry too much about it. I normally only eat fish about once a week and weigh over 200 lbs, so it would take 30-40 years for me to build up a significant level. Children, pregnant women and those of childbearing age, people with liver troubles (one of the places they concentrate), and some other medical conditions should be more careful or avoid it altogether.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:37 pm 114
In response to ratfood @ 106

Nighteres! Give Bob a peck for me. Think I will toddle off as well. Take care all.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:38 pm 115
In response to AitchD @ 108

Me either, but I do not look for either one either.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:38 pm 116

Hi BCT !

Bye RF !

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:39 pm 117

HI and bye! I just gave one back today. They actually did much better than normal.

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:39 pm 118

g’nite dr dick

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:40 pm 119

On the Frankenfish thing, what we’re doing now is directing and speeding up what nature already does. Viruses are really sloppy replicators and haul bits and pieces of DNA from their hosts and can deposit it in the next host.

For all we know, that Chinook gene exists somewhere in the Altantic salmon genome already, but in an untranscribed (junk) DNA area. I’m with Dick on this one — these things require lots of testing in captivity before they start taking it out into aquaculture.

That said, if it holds out as safe, there’s a chance to reduce the pollution from salmon aquaculture substantially. The best reason I can give anyone for avoiding Atlantic salmon is that most of it is farmed, and the farms are environmental disasters.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:40 pm 120
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 112

I never ate fish or chicken anyway. I stopped eating all meat stuff a very long time ago. I might have become a vegan if I knew how to pronounce it. Unless you’re a growing child, you don’t need ‘protein’ all the time, and certainly not in the amounts ‘recommended’. Pizza is civilization.

DrDick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:42 pm 121

And taste like crap. Nighters for real.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:42 pm 122

Seeya, Dick.

And if you do build Hg (or Pb or another heavy metal) up to something nearing toxic levels, chelation is quick and pretty safe.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:42 pm 123

In case there are any fans here Robert Plant will be performing on Jimmy Fallon’s show tonight !

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:43 pm 124

Yep, sure does … G’nite Sir !

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:44 pm 125
In response to Petrocelli @ 116

Hey, Petro. Howzit?

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:47 pm 126
In response to AitchD @ 120

Nothing against vegans, at all. It’s just tough to get enough proteins, which you do actually need, if you don’t follow a strict combination routine.

And protein combing for humans is a bit suspect.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:49 pm 127

Fine thanks, Toronto is having a week of Indian Summer’s weather mixed with rain.

How’s things on your side ?

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:50 pm 128
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 126

Proteins are easily available … the problem comes when people differentiate between animal and other proteins.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:51 pm 129
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 126

I am an omniverous oppitunivore.

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:52 pm 130

bristol safe

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:52 pm 131

Pretty wet right now, but they’re saying we’ll dry out for the long run with La Nina moving in.

School’s… well, school. I had an athlete tell me today that the team was traveling, so — can’t take the exam Thursday, sorreeeeee. I’ll take it when I get back.

I said, “No, you’ll either take it before you leave, or you’ll take it on the road on Thursday. Your choice. But if you don’t take it by Thursday, the score is a 0. Your choice.”

The sense of privilege some of these kids have is unbelievable.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:53 pm 132

ROFL … I had to look that up.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:53 pm 133
In response to Petrocelli @ 128

Agree- we often “accidentally” eat vegetarian here. For instance Sunday I made Naan and Saag and a veggie Korma. We didn’t think about meat.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:53 pm 134
In response to Suzanne @ 130

And this is supposed to be good newz?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:54 pm 135

I’m a see-food eater. See food, eat food.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:55 pm 136

Oppitunivore! Perfect!

Where’s that cheesecake???

LoudounLib | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:56 pm 137
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 133

Naan! I have just fallen in love with naan recently; bought some garlic naan at my local Wegmans, and played with it. My fave concoction so far is spreading some pesto, tomatoes and mozzarella and baking it at 450 for about 5-7 minutes. Yummy…

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:56 pm 138

guess it depends on whether ya wanna see a quick and fast humiliation or a long drawn out over several weeks kinda deal

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:57 pm 139
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 133

Kelly !

You can also add some Paneer to that Saag. Didja make Garlic Naan ?

Dammit, now I’m getting hungry again …

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:58 pm 140
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 126

Among all Californian mothers (morbidity studies from the late 1980′s), Hispanic mothers had babies with the highest birth weights and they had babies with the lowest mortality (through one year) rates.
My guess is it’s from corn, beans, and rice plus the lack of a lot of nefarious foodstuffs.

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:58 pm 141
In response to LoudounLib @ 137

{{{ LL }}}

Time to break out the Chimay …

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:59 pm 142

hasslehoff out

LoudounLib | Tuesday September 21, 2010 09:59 pm 143
In response to Petrocelli @ 141

((( Petro! ))) Sliding a Chimay down the bar at ya…

Suzanne | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:00 pm 144

another great tuesday nite lisa

Petrocelli | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:01 pm 145
In response to LoudounLib @ 143

*mwaah*sending a White Cap backatcha …

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:01 pm 146

At the end of the day, I’m just saying, look, take your harvests.

The garden stuff is easy. Tomatoes herbs and peppers don’t shreik.

If you were raising chickens, you probably have a hard time “taking” or harvesting them. Same with pork or beef. And people often throw fish back in the river instead of taking them, and cleaning them for food.

But people REALLY do take those animal harvests, and unless you’re vegan, get over it. It’s really ok.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:02 pm 147
In response to Suzanne @ 138

Since I don’t give rat’s foot about it, I guess I shouldn’t gripe. The onliest way they could me to watch it is if they had live music…

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:03 pm 148
In response to LoudounLib @ 137

Trader Joe’s sells six-packs, I buy the garlic and freeze the bag, then nuke for 20 secs, toast for 3 mins. Sometimes I slice it open after toasting.

LoudounLib | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:04 pm 149
In response to AitchD @ 148

Good tip, thanks! We have TJ’s here too, need to make another foray there soon.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:04 pm 150
In response to Suzanne @ 142

Tragic!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:04 pm 151
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 146

Four H kids often don’t eat their livestock. They swap it with other Four-H families. For many of us, meeting the meat isn’t something we care to do. Actually knowing the meat is orders of magnitude worse.

AitchD | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:11 pm 152

Imagine if all the steers in Argentina all farted at the same moment and a lightning bolt also struck a large holding pen. Most of South America would become an instant crater. I think that’s how the dinosaurs disappeared. The upper atmosphere got supersaturated with fartgas. One more fart was all it took.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:17 pm 153

Pretty convenient for you. Not often the case for the scratch kids.

It works out to be a lot easier to not name the chix and pigs, nor drag them to the State Fair. Just saying from experience.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday September 21, 2010 10:24 pm 154
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 153

No question. I had friends who lived on working farms. If it was a cow from the feedlots, no problem. Just one of hundreds (or more), no big deal. But the steer you raise from a calf, etc… much tougher deal.

Lots of the 4H kids now live on hobby farms, where chickens all have names.

I’m outta here, class first thing in the morn.

progress | Wednesday September 22, 2010 12:46 am 155

Are we sure we are replicating what nature does. Nature does by lot of hits and misses and the only right ones survive. Here we are artificially introducing tweaks into the food chain and do not know long term effects and even do not know whether we can reverse if it is found to be a mistake. In my opinion when we do not know what we are doing especially something we eat it is better to leave it alone. What is the gain here by playing with nature. There is sufficient food for all to eat if not the preferred variety and it will be a prudent approach to leave things as it is till more knowledge is gained and wisdom to make the right call is attained.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday September 22, 2010 10:51 am 156

I named the pair of steer on my friend’s farm Lunch and Dinner.