Late Night: “Countdown to Zero” Nukes, the BoDeans New Video, and Social Media

Nuclear weapons suck. And so with that in mind, there’s a big push towards nuclear disarmament featuring major bands and a new film.

The BoDeans new video, “Headed for the End of the World,” just hit and it sends a strong message for nuclear disarmament. The video is part of a campaign supporting the release of the documentary Countdown to Zero,  which opens this week.

Other bands supporting the film’s release via social media like Twitter and online PSAs include Dave Matthews, REM, Macy Gray, and Pearl Jam. You can learn more about the campaign here and join in.

Countdown to Zero traces the history of the atomic bomb from its origins to the present state of global affairs: nine nations possessing nuclear weapons capabilities with others racing to join them, with the world held in a delicate balance that could be shattered by an act of terrorism, failed diplomacy, or a simple accident.

The goal behind the film and the campaign is to ratify a new START Treaty and eliminate nuclear weapons. Countdown to Zero features some bold-faced names on the international diplomacy scene, including President Jimmy Carter, Mikhail Gorbachev, Pervez Musharraf and Tony Blair discussing the global nuclear disarmament. Writer/director Lucy Walker makes a compelling case for eliminating all nuclear weapons worldwide, an issue more topical than ever, as shown by the world leaders working to achieve this goal today.

The Global Zero campaign is comprised of more than 250 political, military, faith and civic leaders, dozens of organizations and over 380,000 activists working for the worldwide elimination of all nuclear weapons.

Social media makes it possible to join campaigns like this and lend your voice. And going to the movie helps.

121 Responses to "Late Night: “Countdown to Zero” Nukes, the BoDeans New Video, and Social Media"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:04 pm 1

Hello! I ma waiting for pizza delivery.

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:05 pm 2

Lisa!

Loves me some BoDeans and I loves me some no nukes as well. a perfect combination.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:07 pm 3

lisa! love the bodeans!

Margaret | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:08 pm 4

Lisa!
Is Countdown to Zero even going to be released in the United States? I can’t imagine distributors picking that one up when none of them even had the testicles to show Darwin.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:08 pm 5

awesome. what about pizza? I am having a tomato-saucesless crust with garlic infused oil, ricotta, moz’rella, parm, chever, basil, spinach and corn. A feeble attmep to get veggies

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:08 pm 6

No to nukes, yes to music, big yes to pizza.

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:10 pm 7

Chicago style deep dish from Giordano’s.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:11 pm 8
In response to Suzanne @ 3

Thanks, Suzanne for the rescue — I couldn’t figure out where everyone went!
OTOH — Jon Stewart rockin’ the house. No spoiler, but …

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:11 pm 9

Yummy.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:11 pm 10

Countdown to Zero opened in select cities and will proliferate.
Here is link to release info

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:14 pm 11
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 8

my pleasure — and thanks for the no spoiler for us west coast folks :)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:15 pm 12

I like the BoDeans and look faorward ot seeing this movie. I am curious about what the politicians will say.

Last night I was researching Nixon–he signed an agt wiht Russian re nukes. Actually Nixon enacted a lot of what might be perceived as liberal legislation. Noam Chomsky called him the last liberal President.” Weird huh?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:17 pm 13

Bonnie Riatt, Jackson Brown and others did an anti nuke albun/concert

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:18 pm 14

As I have said before, the positions taken by both of the leading contenders for the Democratic nomination in the last presidential election were largely indistinguishable from those of Nixon and Ford. Same could be said of President Clinton. Of course the modern Republican Party would regard both Nixon and Ford to be commies.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:19 pm 15

Wow, it still amazes me the fights we have to STILL fight. I was in NY in ’82 for that big march. On my way to Europe.

Talcott | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:20 pm 16

Right on.

As a side note Avenged Sevenfold with Mike Portnoy(one of my fave’s who(ht knowbuddhua) is graciously sitting in for recently deceased member Jimmy’the Rev’ Sullivan on drums) released their new album today, and it rocks.

And the video above seemed an apropos corollary, as nuclear warfare could be a part of everyone’s repertoire of

NIGHTMARE’s

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:26 pm 17

Countdown to Zero opened in select cities and will proliferate.

Very smart writing!

(Vegetables are overrated.)

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:28 pm 18

Even Reagan if conservatives had not bestowed him with some Republican version of papal infallibility. I mean, he RAISED taxes, for dog’s sake.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:28 pm 19
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 15

Oh Kelly, that was my lost decade (Stonewall) at home with two in diapers…

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:30 pm 20
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 19

Diapers really should be changed more often than once a decade..

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:31 pm 21
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 19

Also, better to have separate diapers for each kid…

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:31 pm 22
In response to ratfood @ 18

The sad truth is that American politics has moved so far to the right that intelligent thought now qualifies as a left-wing conspiracy.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:33 pm 23
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 22

Certainly the way it gets portrayed by our leaders and big media.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:33 pm 24
In response to ratfood @ 20

heh heh, and MrCE was my remarkable helper. We pretty much don’t know about any pop/film/music culture of the 1980′s and, I think that might be a good thing.

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:34 pm 25
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 22

Actually, just quasi-rational thought is far left extremism. Doesn’t even have to be intelligent, just not completely batshit crazy.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:35 pm 26
In response to ratfood @ 20

ahem, with two babies in diapers (better?).

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:35 pm 27

Thanks. That makes me feel much better.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:36 pm 28
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 26

*laughing while biting tongue*

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:38 pm 29
In response to Suzanne @ 28

Hey, Sister Mama

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:38 pm 30
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 27

tis shifted so far to the right that the batshit crazy on the right is considered to be the middle

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:38 pm 31
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 24

Except for The Simpsons and later animated series most of my pop culture references pre-date the ’80s. I’ve never felt much affinity for the popular music of that period. There was a ton of great music recorded and performed during that decade (as always), it simply wasn’t mainstream.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:40 pm 32
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 19

*waves!*

Speaking of lost, I’ve told this before, but what the hell…

I came back in June ’83 and was living in downtown Pheonix, going to ASU and playing in a wedding band and a punk band, living upstairs over a garage, and next to one of the Emergency Broadcast siren thingies near McDowell & Central if that rings a bell for anybody.

The Emergency Signal test was always the first Saturday of the month at noon. Was used to it, no big deal.

Well one Tuesday or Wednesday in the Fall, I’m just all kicked back with the bong watching Dr. Who before band practice and WRRRRRRRRR that goddamn siren goes off! Now remember it was very intense with the Soviets and Reagan then.

So I go to change the TV channel all “WTF?” and there is NO SIGNAL on the NBC station which was the emergency channel at the time.

I’m all “O NOES!”

So I loaded bowl, after bowl, after bowl, madly switching stations, no signal and just FREAKING OUT cause that goddamned siren just kept wailing!

There must have been some power glitch, I never really understood what the source problem was, but the siren finally went silent, the TV returned, but my bag was empty and I was beyond this earth.

Word.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:41 pm 33
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 26

Actually since you used the plural there was nothing wrong with the original statement. My bad. :)

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:42 pm 34
In response to ratfood @ 31

We just lost all awareness of pop culture of the decade. We left France in 1979 knowing all film, music, art culture (oh, we thought we knew everything…) to fall into the 80′s of dissertation writing, poverty, and two small children. It was actually fun.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:42 pm 35
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 32

Musta been some really good sheet…

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:43 pm 36
In response to Suzanne @ 30

When the likes of Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin can be considered mainstream conservativism, you know the Great Beast 666 can’t be far behind.

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:44 pm 37
In response to Suzanne @ 30

The weird part of this is that most of the movement has been by conservatives and Republicans. The Republican Party has embraced their far right fringe and are virtually indistinguishable from the Birchers (who the Republicans used to laugh at in my youth). Most Americans and liberals really have not moved that far to the right. Even the party leaders have only moved from center left to center right. The bulk of the population, in contrast, have consistently embraced strongly progressive policies in the polling data for more than 30 years.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:45 pm 38
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 34

Raising kids and simultaneously writing dissertations is pretty impressive multitasking. Not surprising you didn’t have time for much else.

TalkingStick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:45 pm 39

Thanks so much Lisa. Our Nuclear Watch South people will be interested.

Somewhat OT the first weekend in Aug, we are honoring my dear friend Adele Kushner with a peace poll. She participated in the Walk to Moscow in 1960.

It’s been a long walk,

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:46 pm 40
In response to ratfood @ 35

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:47 pm 41
In response to ratfood @ 38

Heh. That was my working fulltime, single dad, doing my research and writing a dissertation period.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:48 pm 42

Wow, what a story, and no, I had not heard this before. But really, what a weird decade. And MrCE and I had NOT a clue about politics. That’s what living in a dissertation world does for a family.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:52 pm 43

At least when the polling is about policy choices and not political identity; there seems to be an amazing gap between the two, which the far right exploits as much as it can with identity-politics push polling.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:52 pm 44

Playing devil’s advocate, whether or not it was a conscious decision the GOP doesn’t have much choice but to bunk with the far right crazies, who got fed up at being forced to settle for election year pandering. It might be a shrinking base but if they lose that rabid 25 percent they’re not likely to make it up somewhere else.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:52 pm 45

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:53 pm 46
In response to TalkingStick @ 39

Does anyone recall the Great Peace March? I think it was held in 1986?

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:53 pm 47
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 43

Exactly. I cannot figure out how people can embrace progrssive policies and still consider themselves “conservatives”, but a sizable number do. I do not think the word means what they think it does.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:55 pm 48

Sorry Lisa,
I love your work, but don’t ask me anything about the 1980′s.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:56 pm 49
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 40

Man, with a do like that, I could be SOMEBODY!

So, the wedding band and the punk band were separate gigs? A punk wedding band would be so cool…

nahant | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:56 pm 50

Hey NORCAL pups trying to put together a meetup here in Redwood City…
If ya can make it I can be reached at nahanter at the google mail place… We need more pups to show up.. so far only two are confirmed….. What about you???

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:56 pm 51
In response to ratfood @ 44

…who got fed up at being forced to settle for election year pandering…

Would that the “real” liberal/progressive demographic would take a hint from them.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:57 pm 52
In response to nahant @ 50

hey nahant — i’m still iffy depending on what my mechanic says thursday — sent ya email about it…

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:57 pm 53

These days it’s all about branding. Substance becomes increasingly irrelevant.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:58 pm 54
In response to ratfood @ 49

Kind of a niche group, though, don’t you think?

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:58 pm 55
In response to ratfood @ 44

I would not really argue with that, though it is ultimately a losing strategy for them as they progressively alienate anyone even marginally sane. Nixon really started it with his “Southern Strategy” and Reagan made it an art form. The success of liberal social welfare programs made it impossible for them to run on traditional conservative economic policies. After the collapse of the Soviet Union they also lost their “scary furriners gonna rape your wimmins and eats your children” edge as well.

oldgold | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:58 pm 56

But, if we eliminate the nukes, how are we going to snuff out deep water oil well blowouts?

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:59 pm 57
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 15

1982 was a breakout year for two seminal works: Jonathan Schell’s The Fate Of The Earth and Lewis Thomas’s Late Night Thoughts On Listening To Mahler’s Ninth Symphony (URL below).

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:59 pm 58
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 54

Yep, I’m certain it has been done but they probably didn’t give up their day jobs.

TalkingStick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 08:59 pm 59

Yes indeed. Another of my good friends marched in that and though quite aged was the first person in our area to demonstrate against invading Iraq. She was the inspiration for our anti-war group that demonstrated before the invasion. We scattered into political action in our local parties once the invasion was a done deal.

Yes it is the Long Walk.

nahant | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:00 pm 60
In response to Suzanne @ 52

already replied… was making Veal Marsala & A garlic basil pasta dish with steamed broccoli… stuffed…

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:02 pm 61

Yes, even if the pendulum swings towards the GOP in the next election or two, it can’t last. As you noted, they have alienated so many increasingly powerful demographics.

TalkingStick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:03 pm 62
In response to nahant @ 60

Sounds wonderful. Peace activists require a lot of good food. It’s all the walking I guess.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:03 pm 63
In response to oldgold @ 56

lol! and simultaneously crying…

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:03 pm 64
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 42

You didn’t play Pac-Man? Space Invaders? Galaga? Pole Position?

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:03 pm 65
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 51

To be fair, it took the wingers about 30-40 years to get to that point. Progressives have only been in this position since Clinton, so we have a while to go.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:03 pm 66
In response to AitchD @ 57

O yeah. And that book “A Republic of Insects and Grass”

It was on people’s minds as a real way to die quite a bit. This WarOnTerra shit is nothing like those days, and I call chicken shit on today’s war supporters.

nahant | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:05 pm 67
In response to TalkingStick @ 62

I am planning Jambalaya and some pies..if Suz can make it one Will be peach….

spurious | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:05 pm 68
In response to nahant @ 60

drool…

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:06 pm 69
In response to ratfood @ 61

On the other hand, if they do seize power, they have become so batshit crazy that they could easily wwreck inestimable damage on the republic. Think Dubya+Newt on steroids (they are already resurrecting Bush’s economic policies).

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:06 pm 70
In response to nahant @ 60

In this horrible heat, when the temps plunged to 70′s last Sunday, I roasted chicken breasts and made cold chicken salad with basil and pecans. Pretty wonderful.

nahant | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:08 pm 71
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 70

weather here been in the 70′s…. Mother Nature’s AC has kicked in… love here in RWC!!!!!

DrDick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:09 pm 72

Think I will toddle off as I intend to harass the trout in the morning. Take care all.

TalkingStick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:09 pm 73
In response to nahant @ 67

Oh Lord! That sounds wonderful. You have sent me to the kitchen. where I will pretend the bread and cheese is elegantly seasoned pasta. Wine may help.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:09 pm 74
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 51

Sadly, if you remove the Dem partisans the progressive movement is like inverted Swiss cheese, more holes than not. Hard to exert any bargaining power over the Dems when they own most of the movement.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:10 pm 75

g’nite dr dick

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:11 pm 76
In response to AitchD @ 64

I don’t have a clue.

ratfood | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:11 pm 77

Nighters! Good fishing!

Me too. Thanks for doing LN, Lisa. Splendid evening to all.

TalkingStick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:11 pm 78
In response to ratfood @ 74

That has to change,

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:12 pm 79

I just checked the weather for my vacation spots, thankfully. It will be in the mid-60s to low 70s and damp. I need to rethink my wardrobe a bit…

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:12 pm 80
In response to nahant @ 71

Enjoy nahant,
my love to the sea, please.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:13 pm 81
In response to ratfood @ 77

g’nite rat

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:14 pm 82
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 66

“A Republic of Insects and Grass” was Schell’s first New Yorker piece, and later the title of the first chapter of his The Fate Of The Earth.

(Excellent memory, great link also!)

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:14 pm 83
In response to ratfood @ 74

I have to nudge that idea off the plate a little, rattykins.

Witness; there is a big fight in the Dem primary for Senator here in CO. The local Dem apparatus is allied AGAINST the OFA machine! Weird, but true.

Local Dem party apparatchicks voted for Romanoff 2:1 over Bennet. The OFA machine, which is only about Obama, not about anything porgressive, is PISSED! And running a “Get Out The Vote” action this Wednesday – for the PRIMARY, not the GENERAL!

People are so pissed off about that.

I don’t know and can’t say for sure, but I am guessing the OFA machine is going to lose; just a gut hunch and as much of a wish I guess.

But battles are waging….

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:15 pm 84
In response to ratfood @ 77

Night ratfood!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:15 pm 85

night , rf

nahant | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:17 pm 86

Sounds like on the coast in Mendocino county… We love that area.. Check out

St Orres

in Gualala, one of our favorite places to get away…

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:19 pm 87
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 70

In this heat I plug the rice cooker in outside on the back porch.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:21 pm 88
In response to AitchD @ 87

Ahah!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:23 pm 89
In response to nahant @ 86

I will be in Bayside, a burg in the county of Humboldt in late Aug. Going to county fair. very excited. Staying with one of the local landholders who’ll be squiring me about.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:24 pm 90
In response to AitchD @ 87

Now that is a GREAT idea; duh on me!

I’ve been doing corn-on-the-cob in a pot on the grill outside, but have been foregoing RICE!

*facepalm*

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:25 pm 91

tis gorgeous up there….. reminds me so much of the santa cruz county redwoods i lived in before moving up to oregon (but with a lot less people)

nahant | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:30 pm 92

have an old friend who lives in Mckinlyville who was just here visiting.. love that area also.. have FUN!!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:30 pm 93
In response to Suzanne @ 91

I am looking forward to it. It iwll be my recuperation after a whirlwind through Denmark and Sweden. I’ll be home long enough to do laundry

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:32 pm 94
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 90

I don’t have a grill. For what? The rice cooker can make split-pea soup from scratch. It can make anything except pizza.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:32 pm 95

ohmystars — how cool! clean laundry does help :)

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:34 pm 96

Nukes and politics aside, Lisa, thanks for the update on The Bodeans latest.

I’ve always liked that band. A great sound.

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:36 pm 97
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 90

Why yer not grilling seasoned and basted corn on the cob is beyond me, the ONLY way to eat corn.

Boiling it? Sure, just kill the flavor and vitamins and such.

Sigh . . . you kids.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:36 pm 98

So glad that people enjoy them. This song is on their new record.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:37 pm 99
In response to AitchD @ 94

Aside from pizza, in this house, we need naan…

Margot | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:37 pm 100
In response to AitchD @ 64

Galaga! Awesome game.

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:39 pm 101
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 83

The OFA machine was sucked into the vapid pit of veal penned Dem Party Machine, the same machine that booted Dean because he was too progressive (and they claimed he was a loose cannon, but we progs no longer FALL for that shit, right?).

The OFA is pure crap and deserves to have it’s veal penned corporate hide tacked to the shed and tanned like in a Rolf Aussie Song.

Harumph.

Kick ass Kelly and CO proggies! Bust them suckin Dem’s!

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:42 pm 102
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 99

I buy Naan at Trader Joe’s, six in a bag and freeze them, zap one for 20 secs, toaster-oven for 3-4 mins. I have a (new Panasonic) bread maker, makes perfect 100% whole-wheat bread.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:43 pm 103
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 99

Really cool instructions for how to cook naan.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:44 pm 104
In response to Larue @ 101

You know what’s crazy, is I can figure out, and you can figure out, but the Dem Leadership can’t figure out that Obama is about re-electing Obama, and that’s it.

OFA motto; It’s MY 2 terms we’re talking about dammit, so get on my bus, or under it; policy be damned.

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:46 pm 105
In response to Larue @ 97

Steamed, not boiled. Grilling is superior, but you get black pieces. My body doesn’t know what to do with charred, black food, it gets confused, but of course it does something with it and I don’t think it’s a good thing, so I avoid it.

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:50 pm 106
In response to Suzanne @ 45

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:53 pm 107
In response to AitchD @ 105

You can grill without getting black pieces, if yer bod can’t handle it.

And grillin far surpasses steamin for corn, in terms of locking in, and releasin the flavors, not to mention the carmelization you get, which steaming or boiling just can’t replicate.

Grillin is caveman fare, and is still vastly superior lo these many thousands and thousands of years.

*G*

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:53 pm 108
In response to Larue @ 106

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:54 pm 109
In response to Margot @ 100

Games like that made words like ‘awesome’ necessary. I was too old for them, and I was in awe at the kids who could beat them. My game was Pole Position. I learned it at the airport on my way to France. In Paris, I put my initials on top! Did the same in Salisbury England. Everywhere I went, mine replaced the names at the top. Back home, kids stood 3 rows deep to watch me (“Awesome!”). True. Did it the next year in Montreal.

Margot | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:54 pm 110
In response to Larue @ 97

I leave the cornhusks on, rinse well, and put in microwave for about 8 minutes.
You have to shuck the ears using really thick oven mitts but it steams them just perfectly.

Margot | Tuesday July 27, 2010 09:58 pm 111
In response to AitchD @ 109

These were my older son’s games, so he usually beat me…but I loved them.

Suzanne | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:00 pm 112

thanks for another wonderful late nite lisa — have fun on your vacation!

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:03 pm 113
In response to Larue @ 107

You’re absolutely right about grilling corn, it is superior. I don’t do much corn on the cob anyway for two reasons: the harvest is a very narrow window (for sweet, delicious corn), and I have an overbite that puts Joni Mitchell’s to shame. I fry canned and frozen corn, or corn off the cob, in some oil in a cast iron skillet until it caramelizes. No digestive system can take black stuff and also live long and prosper.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:03 pm 114

Enjou your vaca, Lisa!!! We’ll miss you.

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:13 pm 115

Have only fun, Lisa! Drop us a clickie if you find time.

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:13 pm 116
In response to Suzanne @ 108

Yep!

KPIG, first time I ever heard The Bodeans . . . *G*

Larue | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:15 pm 117
In response to AitchD @ 113

I’m truly thankful I don’t have medical or digestive issues that preclude eating my favorite foods.

Best of luck to your intakes.

AitchD | Tuesday July 27, 2010 10:26 pm 118
In response to Larue @ 117

It’s a hypothetical thing, the black ‘digestion’ It’s pure carbon. I’m a Capricorn plus there must be Billy-Goat DNA in me. I eat nothing but my favorite foods. Healthy is relative. I’m lucky, blessed, very well-fed, and not overweight.

b2020 | Wednesday July 28, 2010 06:44 am 119

The Zero trailer running on the theaters is a fraud, equalizing the very real threat of existing stockpiles of nations not living up to their NPT obligations with fearmongering about Iranian proliferation of nukes they do not have – no mention of Pakistan/Kahn (but prominently featuring Korea’s accidental “dirty dud”). I wonder whether the “documentary” will mention Israeli nukes at all?

It did take a Manhattan project. Nukes aren’t cheap, and without blueprints and tech available for purchase – and without US or Russian military potentially misplacing a nuke – the hysteria about “rogue nations” handing nuclear bombs to terrorist organization is not making the case for enforcing the NPT, it is making the case for more hysteria.

nicolesandler | Wednesday July 28, 2010 09:45 am 120

I interviewed Countdown to Zero producer, Lawrence Bender, on my show last night…. Anyone who wants to listen, the show is archived and podcast at http://www.radioornot.com. Just look for the Tue 7/27/10 show…

Great seeing you in Vegas Lisa!

Nicole Sandler
Radio or Not

nicolesandler | Wednesday July 28, 2010 09:46 am 121
In response to nicolesandler @ 120

Whoops… It left out the first part of my post… I interviewed Countdown to Zero producer Lawrence Bender on my show last night.. Podcast is up at http://www.radioornot.com