Late Night: Altar-ed States, Pastors and Pot

While one Colorado clergyman is fighting his arrest for possession of pot (claiming his status as clergy in the Ministry of THC allows for sacramental reefer use), a pastor in California is up in arms over the NAACP’s support of the November ballot initiative to legalize recreational marijuana use.

Rev. Jason Wimler is claiming the cannabis found in his car by Colorado State Troopers late last year was for sacramental use for a ceremony he hoped to perform during the Christmas holiday. His attorney Daneyl Joffe was granted the right to file a brief on jury instructions specific to religious use of cannabis. Joffe’s point is that the Colorado Constitution allows for

the free exercise and enjoyment of religious profession and worship, without discrimination

though some might argue that Wimler’s pot possession fall under this part of the law:

but the liberty of conscience hereby secured shall not be construed to dispense with oaths or affirmations, excuse acts of licentiousness or justify practices inconsistent with the good order, peace or safety of the state. (emphasis mine)

Meanwhile the NAACP in California has come out in support of the legalization of marijuana because as  Alice Huffman, the state NAACP president, says:

There is a strong racial component that must be considered when we investigate how marijuana laws are applied to people of color. The burden has fallen disproportionately on people of color and young black men in particular.

Sacramento minister Ron Allen–bishop of the Greater Solomon Temple Community Church in Oak Park and  president of the International Faith-Based Coalition, a Sacramento group representing 3,600 congregations–is not too happy about this:

Most African American pastors are disappointed, absolutely disappointed with the decision. If anyone should know the effects of illicit drugs in the black community, it should be one of our most respected civil rights organizations.

Yes, Bishop Allen, but if pot were legal, then it wouldn’t be illicit, no would it? Maybe Bishop Allen should check out the ministry of THC, which claims both Jesus and Moses used cannabis oil as for holy anointing. Hallelujah!

72 Responses to "Late Night: Altar-ed States, Pastors and Pot"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:00 pm 1

It has been kind of a gnarly week for pot in Los Angeles. Two dispensaries were robbed at gunpoint, and one staff was killed.

newtonusr | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:03 pm 2

I saw that. Ugly.
I will not litter your posts with my tinfoil-hat meanderings. Promise.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:05 pm 3

Oh, foil away! I have some ideas myself. However the week before there was a drive by shooting outside a rock club in the same neighborhood as one dispensary, and just today some guy was shot outside a Pollo Loco in Hollywood–a walkby shooting

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:05 pm 4

Unfortunate. It’s possible these crimes would not have been committed if pot were legalized.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:05 pm 5

I once told a police officer marijuana was my religion. It didn’t work. Fortunately I’ve been caught with weed three times and never been charged with a crime. I was lucky in my misspent youth.

AZ Matt | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:06 pm 6
In response to Margaret @ 5

And look where that got you!

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:07 pm 7

Lisa!

Hallelujah and pass that reefer!

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:08 pm 8
In response to AZ Matt @ 6

A misspent middle age? Well, I had a lot of friends who never made it this far so I guess I’m still better off than some…

newtonusr | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:08 pm 9
In response to Margaret @ 5

Kelly, I’m borrowing Margaret for a while.

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:08 pm 10

Bad weekend for murderees all around — one on Pink Saturday the night before SF Pride. According to the local media, it wasn’t a ‘hate crime’ which is their attempt I suppose to exonerate the poor dead victim of being thought Teh Ghey. But I think coming into our neighborhood with a gun and shooting three people, one of them dead, IS a hate crime. It speaks to the hate in the heart of the (captured) shooter that all that happy sexuality made him think of killing. Sad.

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:09 pm 11
In response to Margaret @ 5

Heh. I was lucky enough to never get caught, though there were several close calls. Twice the police came to visit just after I had moved. 8-)

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:09 pm 12
In response to newtonusr @ 9

It’s up to her if she’ll have you. :)

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:10 pm 13
In response to Margaret @ 8

LOL. When I was 19, I was voted least likely to see 30. I will be double that in a couple of years.

newtonusr | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:11 pm 14
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 12

Thrice busted, never charged.
We are going to Vegas.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:11 pm 15
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 10

Deep sympathies to SF residents and guests on what should have been a happy event. I LOVED the SF Pride march I went to in in 1980. I had gone to London’s in June 79.

newtonusr | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:12 pm 16
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 10

Teddy, that is just terrible.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:13 pm 17
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 12

Hey, there’s enough of me to go around.

ratfood | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:13 pm 18
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 10

Sorry to hear that. OF COURSE it’s a hate crime, whether it meets the legal definition or not.

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:13 pm 19
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 10

Saw that the other day. Really sad when something like that happens. From the news story I saw, which really did not have any details, I kind of got the impression that the motives were more personal.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:13 pm 20
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 4

exactly. And if marijuana was legal, the “effects of illicit drugs” on communities (as per Bishop Allen above) would not be happening.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:14 pm 21
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 10

At least the shooter was captured. There’s a person who could have done with more reefer and less preacher in his religion.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:14 pm 22

According to the local media, it wasn’t a ‘hate crime’…

Hmph. I wasn’t aware that it was the media that made such determinations.

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:15 pm 23

Remove the profit motive for the sellers and the high cost for the users of drugs and the violence and crime largely vanishes. It is no longer “cost effective.”

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:16 pm 24
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 12

Hey Kelly how about that Big Dog email for Andrew Romanoff, huh? Wild to see Clinton buck the Obama WH on this.

*remembering manners*

Hello Lisa LaFiga, thanks for this fine pot-post!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:17 pm 25

exactly. And were pot legal, then people wouldn’t go to jail for it.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:17 pm 26

Heck I even had a car searched and towed when I was put in jail for trespassing. When I went and got the car out of the impound, I found the fat joint I had stashed. I lit that sucker up before I even cleared the gate!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:17 pm 27
In response to Margaret @ 26

Wild thing!

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:18 pm 28
In response to Margaret @ 21

Was there a hate preacher involved?

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:18 pm 29
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 24

manners/ HI LISA! /manners

Yeah, that’s flipping me out a bit. Not sure what those tea leaves mean.

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:19 pm 30

Would be a major blow to the prison-industrial complex, however, and they would likely do everything i their power to block any measure that prevents us from locking up more people than anywhere except China.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:20 pm 31

The prison guard union is REALLY strong in CA, lots of voters in that bloc.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:20 pm 32
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 28

Dunno but too often preaching hate is cited in hate crimes, especially against LGBT folks.

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:20 pm 33

Yes, Meg, do come sit by me please….

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:21 pm 34

17 years old and immortal. What can I say? ;-)

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:21 pm 35

Usually I’m union-friendly, but in this case I can make an exception.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:26 pm 36
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 35

Likewise. But as it is there are too many prisoners. I would think the union would like to reduce the petty criminal population so they can adequately manage the gnarly dudes/dudettes. Less crowding means the incarcerated are more relaxed, so again, everything is easier.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:26 pm 37

Ooh! Actually four times. I forgot the time in Ozona in 1988. I was sweating bullets on that one cause I was in the service at the time (but on leave). Cop gave me speeding warning and took my two joints. I’m glad he found them because I didn’t know they were there!

ratfood | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:26 pm 38
In response to Margaret @ 26

I used to do one-hits continuously between home and work, about a 20 minute drive. It helped but it simply wasn’t possible to get high enough for the job not to suck. Fortunately there were also regular breaks. I was pretty much working to pay for the drugs that were required to make the job bearable. Kind of a vicious circle that…

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:30 pm 39
In response to ratfood @ 38

M’eh. I’ve never been much into getting high and working. Mostly because when I get high I want to listen to music, watch a movie, read a book, do some drawing or writing. The last thing I want to do is work.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:32 pm 40

I’m hanging out on the laptop in my kitchen with belch and his sister.

I told them “Hey the FDL post is about WEED!”

belch just pulled more cold food/leftovers out the fridge, and we’re just noshing out teh bazoo. So there’s hindu, mexican and cajun leftovers.

I’ll let ya know when we break out the ice cream.

Heh!

ratfood | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:34 pm 41
In response to Margaret @ 39

I tended to be like that at new jobs when I was still learning the ropes. After it became monotonous, well… I was working in the art department of a textbook company. The president’s husband was a stats prof and it seemed like we were always working on his next edition. I’ve probably rendered 10,000 graphs, could nearly do it with my eyes closed, or eyes nearly closed, as the case may be.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:37 pm 42
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 40

We give you the munchies just by reading.

OMG, there is a pizza place (whose delivery range ends one block form my house) which has Bayou Bug pizza: Shrimp, andouille sausage, tasso, and hot peppers.

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:40 pm 43
In response to ratfood @ 41

or eyes nearly closed, as the case may be.

Not to mention red….

ratfood | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:41 pm 44

If Prop 19 passes will it take effect immediately or are the Feds likely to tie it up in court forever?

Could be an amazing boon to tourism…

ratfood | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:43 pm 45
In response to Margaret @ 43

Actually as a near constant user I didn’t display a lot of outward signs and since I was one of the most proficient people there if the management suspected they didn’t give a shit.

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:45 pm 46

A little something on topic.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:46 pm 47
In response to ratfood @ 44

There is a pot hotel (mota motel?) in Los Angeles; it opened on 4/20 for people who have Rxs. Wasn;t too busy actually. BUT that could change.

And we need tourism here!

Margaret | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:50 pm 48

I’m going to say goodnight. Goodnight. :-) To belch and his sister too.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:51 pm 49

Maybe you should open a “how Ah-nuld screwed up the state” theme park. Like a Six Flags Over Political Incompetence. And of course you should sell pot there.

DrDick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:51 pm 50
In response to Margaret @ 48

Night! Think I will toddle off as well. Take care all.

ratfood | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:52 pm 51

That’s what I’m thinking. The estimates I’ve heard of the boost to state revenue strike me as low. Until or unless other states begin to follow suit CA would have a monopoly on domestic pot tourism.

Thanks for hosting LN, Lisa. Time to finish my chores and tuck Bob in. Splendid evening to all.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 08:55 pm 52

Night all! Enjoy your sleeps.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:00 pm 53
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 49

I hope we don’t elect Mug Whitman.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:02 pm 54

From what I’ve heard of eMeg, I don’t blame you even a tiny bit.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:02 pm 55
In response to Margaret @ 48

Ta ta Peg! Smooch!

newtonusr | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:03 pm 56

Her first (of many, no doubt) scathing radio ads punking Jerry Brown came out this week. It is a brutal, historically inaccurate blindside. This race is not going to be any fun at all.

wmd1961 | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:23 pm 57

So far religious arguments haven’t worked, except for a case in Guam back in 1999. I believe Carl Olsenis still working to get a conviction overturned using RFRA and the UDV case, but so far no luck. Might be the tons of cannabis involved.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:33 pm 58
In response to wmd1961 @ 57

Well, since teh commenting is slow, I’ll hold forth a bit on the religious angle.

I’ve always been fascinated with the prominence of smokeables and mushrooms in many religions. DrDick can smack me down on my layman opinions but…

SMOKE – it’s ephemeral and disappears but leaves an effect. I think the Hopi paho ceremonies as well as the sweatlodge ceremonies all over the Native Southwest are illustrative of how humans just want a buzz and “The Big Understanding.”

SHROOMS – wierd how fungi are prominent too. Rust Ergot molds are a mirror chemical to LSD and make a lot of sense when it comes to quite a few historical events. For instance…

John, of the Gospel of John, was exiled to the Island of Patmos, and lived there during an ergotamide blight, about the same time he wrote Revelations.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:36 pm 59

Continuing -

Matthew Mark and Lukes gospels are called “synoptic” as in they form a synopsis of the Jesus stories.

I’ve always called John’s gospel “synaptic” because the dude was FRIED!

You try reading THAT greek compared to other Greeks! It’s literally INSANE!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:48 pm 60

Revelation is whack!

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:54 pm 61

For instance…

καὶ ἔχων ἐν τῇ δεξιᾷ χειρὶ αὐτοῦ ἀστέρας ἑπτά, καὶ ἐκ τοῦ στόματος αὐτοῦ ῥομφαία δίστομος ὀξεῖα ἐκπορευομένη, καὶ ἡ ὄψις αὐτοῦ ὡς ὁ ἥλιος φαίνει ἐν τῇ δυνάμει αὐτοῦ.

Commonly translated, if you can call it that as:

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

All that really means is John had a message for the 7 geographical regions of the infant Church, the words were sharp and the last translation really bugs me. It should be more like:

And on his face the sun shone with great energy.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:57 pm 62
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 61

And his face was like the sun, shining with all its strength/energy/glory etc

would be my reading of it.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday June 29, 2010 09:59 pm 63

ὁ ἥλιος φαίνει

Literally means “the sun shines”

TheLurkingMod | Tuesday June 29, 2010 10:00 pm 64

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday June 29, 2010 10:04 pm 65
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 63

Ahh..I was going for the English translation making sense rather than the Greek. Thanks

and thanks pups! Nighty night.

kindGSL | Wednesday June 30, 2010 03:07 am 66
In response to wmd1961 @ 57

That is not true, read the testimonials,

kindGSL | Wednesday June 30, 2010 03:32 am 67

Federal marijuana prohibition is a fully unconstitutional religious prohibition based on Exodus 22:18 Thou shall not suffer a witch to live.

Here is a nice book on the issue as world history, I highly recommend it,

Marijuana – The First Twelve Thousand Years

Marijuana is completely harmless and a very useful medicine. From FOXN,

Are You Cannabis Deficient?

That means the argument used to regulate it as interstate commerce is totally bogus.

That is also why even though weed is completely harmless, it is scheduled all wrong, and they refuse to change it. Like including Native Americans in the religion section at Borders Books, it would rip a hole in their space/time/legal argument continuum, granting us equal rights, including the right to keep OUR property and children.

You see when it gets to American Indians, and our religions based on smoking things, the Doctrine of Discovery gives white men the right to take away everything we have.

How else do you think they have gotten away with drug war asset seizures that are completely unconstitutional? There is a legal precedent.

From our constitution,

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF (smoking pot); or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

From my church,

Cultivation and enjoyment of Cannabis sacrament is a fundamental human right provided by God and protected by the first Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. It is our opinion that Cannabis is the original sacrament of Hebrew, Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Shinto, Buddhist, Rasta and more, and fulfills the prophesies to ‘raise up for them a plant of renown…’

Our church was raided by the IRS.

VIDEO: Hilo marijuana ministry open after federal raid

Do you think the supreme court is going to rule against the first amendment freedom of religion? Because I don’t. I think I actually have freedom of religion and I aim to prove it.

Reverend Lauren Unruh
THC Ministry
Pleasant Hill, Ca

kindGSL | Wednesday June 30, 2010 03:40 am 69

Marijuana – The First Twelve Thousand Years

Sorry my links are all messed up, I did not realize my ‘spam’ was corrupted in email, grrr.

kindGSL | Wednesday June 30, 2010 03:48 am 70

I know it is redundant to post links like this over and over again, but I always think of the person who just started looking into the issue and stumbles upon this story, and I think it would be heartening to them.

So I do it.

Weed Helps

kindGSL | Wednesday June 30, 2010 04:14 am 71

THC Ministry comes to town

“We’re preparing to file temporary and permanent injunctions on the state government and the federal government,” Christie says. “Our goal is legal immunity from prosecution,” by essentially forcing officials to treat participating dispensaries like churches and cannabis as a religious sacrament.

taxandcontrol2010 | Wednesday June 30, 2010 10:56 am 72

Learn more about the campaign to legalize, control, and tax cannabis in California at http://www.taxcannabis.org. And become a fan of the campaign on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/taxcannabis. Thanks!