Late Night: If a Beaver Falls in Los Angeles, Does She Make a Wall of Sound?

Here’s the sweet story: Once upon a time there was a little blond girl named Rachelle growing up in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. Her daddy left when Rachelle was two and she had no real relationship and little contact with him; he died when she was 12 (or 15 depending on the story).

So naturally when she moved to Los Angeles with stars in her eyes to become a singing success, it made total sense for her pose for Playboy and then hook up with legendary record producer Phil Spector, 40 years her senior, at Dan Tana’s restaurant. According to Rachelle’s bio:

Introduced by a mutual friend, the 23-year-old small town girl and hopeful singer spent the next several hours in deep conversation with one of music’s most renowned producers. She had no idea who he was or that he would soon be indicted for a murder that dominated the headlines for the next few years.

Wow. Um, really? Kinda hard to be interested in show business in Los Angeles circa 2003 and not know that on February 3, 2003 actress Lana Clarkson died from a gun shot wound at Spector’s mansion; those news reports also contained lots of details about the Wall of Sound originator’s life, including his penchant for guns. Add to this from her bio:

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I remember my mom playing her music on my dad’s juke box and I would sing along to Tina Turner, Chubby Checker, Madonna, Billy Joel, and others. I knew from early on that I wanted to be a singer

and this small town girl seems really ignorant. Or really cagey.

Though they sat up talking all night and Phil said he was in love with her, Rachelle wouldn’t kiss him (smart move on so many levels), and well, they started dating.  Rachelle’s love for the eccentric indicted murderer grew…

We talked about religion, politics, he told jokes, stories about his past, growing up, normal getting-to-know-you questions. But the most important thing was a comment he made: ‘Timing is everything.’ That has stuck with me till this day…I like the way he looks. He’s boyish and cute, witty, smart and we are so much alike even though we are generations apart. We share common interests, a love of music, people, life, old films, a strong work ethic, even certain mannerisms.

Phil gave Rachelle a 9-carat diamond engagement ring. The couple were married in September 2006, and immediately began working on Rachelle’s CD as Spector geared up for his defense. His first trial for Clarkson’s murder ended in a hung jury in April 2007. The second trial for murder in the second degree began in October 2008 and six months later ended with a guilty verdict. During that time:

Rachelle stood determinedly by her husband’s side. The recording clearly served as an emotional outlet for the producer and a special time for the couple to enjoy the creative process together.

And guess what! In June, Rachelle Spector’s debut CD will be released (don’t gag on the title Out of My Chelle). The single “Here In My Heart” about which she says

It has special meaning for me. Like the lyric says, ‘No matter where you are, you’re here in my heart.’ For the time being, of course, Philip is actually far away. But he’s still the shining light in my life, and I can always feel him here with me.

Though she’s also said

I’m not even 30. I am young. This is a stage in my life but that’s not to say I don’t love Phillip. I do. But I know I could start all over again. At the moment, I want to get my own music career off the ground.

But just so you don’t think she’s gold-digging Madonna-be, Rachelle points out that she

stays focused on the other key missions in her life: working on the continued legal proceedings on behalf of her husband including the filing of an appeal (she obtained an investigator’s license to aid in those efforts) [and] she serves as VP and CFO of all of Phil’s music companies and manages his estate.

Part of managing his estate includes selling off the antiques she doesn’t like and throwing out the blood stained carpet where Clarkson died. How is she doing? According to the  Daily Mail UK

She claims the mansion is mortgaged to the hilt. Certainly, the driveway is covered in weeds and the creaking metal gate swings from only one hinge as it opens. She estimates Spector spent at least £2million on his legal costs and says she now survives on fast food while she tries to sort out his estate.

And she drives a Smart Car

131 Responses to "Late Night: If a Beaver Falls in Los Angeles, Does She Make a Wall of Sound?"
Suzanne | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:04 pm 1

lisa!

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:06 pm 2

Lisa, you weave quite a tale here, as I should have guessed from the extraordinary headline. Just amazing what that town of yours turns out for our delectation on a regular basis, eh?

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:07 pm 3

It has become impossible to watch television in California anymore without constant bombardment by L&O:SVU’s Dann-Florek-in-a-wig, eMeg Whitman. She will not leave us alone.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:09 pm 4

Lisa!

I suppose you might not know any of that if you were doing enough drugs. On the other hand she be just another small town grifter made good, like the Thrilla from Wasilla.

bmaz | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:09 pm 5

Wherein the car is smarter than the driver……

Marion in Savannah | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:09 pm 6

And any adult human being on the planet would give half a crap about this all because???? Shit, what a waste of pixels this has been.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:11 pm 7
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 2

Los Angeles is a nice little town.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:11 pm 8

Boyish and cute last I saw he looked like a troll doll?

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:12 pm 9

There is always that 9-carat diamond engagement ring she could hock if money is short…! ;-)

Suzanne | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:13 pm 10
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 8

hahahaha that’s the best description of him and his hair i’ve seen

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:14 pm 11
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 3

teddy, I love the “The other candidate is more LIBURUL!” ads that Poisoner and eMeg are running.

“Steve Poizner will give underage girls abortions and free heroin paid for by taxing you MOAR!”

“Meg Whitman will give your house to illegal brown people. And raise your taxes to do it!”

“The other candidate supports DEMOCRATS!”

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:15 pm 12
In response to Marion in Savannah @ 6

Late is for venting and laughing…you’re welcome to go off topic!

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:16 pm 13

Rumors had circulated for years that Spector had threatened members of the Ramones with a gun during the sessions. Johnny Ramone remembered a meeting at Spector’s home in which the producer became upset when they tried to leave. “And then he reaches into his jacket pocket and well, he pulls out a gun, puts it on the table right in front of us, and says, ‘You guys don’t really have to go yet, do you?’”[14] Drummer Marky Ramone recalled in 2008, “They (guns) were there but he had a license to carry. He never held us hostage. We could have left at any time”.[15]

Punk Rock bands had problems with his style of interpersonal communication. Too bad Mosses is nolonger with the NRA his take on the incident would be interesting.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:17 pm 14

I was writing for Grammy Magazine when Spector was given the Science award, this was I guess 1999. His speech was soooo smart and funny. His wig and suit made him look like Louis XIV

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:19 pm 15
In response to bmaz @ 5

LOL !!!

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:20 pm 16
In response to CTuttle @ 9

… and the “made for TeeVee” script. Also.

Lisa !

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:22 pm 17
In response to bmaz @ 5

I don’t know. She was smart enough to marry a filthy rich (emphasis on “filthy”) old fart who was pretty certain to spend the rest of his life in prison.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:22 pm 18

Does Phil really have money trouble? If he had a stash of cash he could keep buying drugs and stay weird rather than go cold turkey.
If Phil is still weird he has cash his wife does not know about.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:23 pm 19

Completely agree with Teddy @ 2, Lisa … you are a great storyteller !

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:24 pm 20

Seems like the money is running out.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:24 pm 21

And one of my friends (and a fellow Westlake School for Girls alum) lived down the street from Spector when she was going to Westlake–she lived with her grandmother in an exclusive neighborhood. Spector had these hug German shepherd that he’d let run loose and they’d bark under my friend’s window.

So finally, fed up with this–she wa a very forthright woman even at 16!–she walked over to Spector’s house and knocked on his door. Spector opened it a crack and stood there. She asked him to keep his dogs in at night and turn to walk away. Something compelled her to look back and he was pointed a shotgun at her. And having been raised by a dad who kept wolves, she was NONPLUSSED, and said to Spector

You must be a real coward to want to shoot a 16 yr old in the back.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:25 pm 22
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 20

She still has his businesses and the house, as well as other assets which could be liquidated. Not bad for a little white trash girl from the sticks.

bmaz | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:26 pm 23
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 18

He could be legitimately fairly broke; or not, who knows. But gets big periodic royalty payments I would imagine.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:27 pm 24
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 18

He could always sell the castle if necessary.

Suzanne | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:27 pm 25

isn’t phil in prison?

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:27 pm 26

Okay, the next time I have to define “fearless”, I’m telling that story.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:28 pm 27
In response to Suzanne @ 25

Yep, the sentence is 19 to life, which in his case is probably the same either way.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:30 pm 28

So rich and strange looking guys Phil, or Joe Scarbrough? Strange and rich women Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman?
Option three get a job or live out on the streets

Suzanne | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:30 pm 29
In response to ratfood @ 27

so she is in charge of everything now? oh geez

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:32 pm 30
In response to Suzanne @ 29

As I said, not bad for a little white trash girl from the sticks.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:33 pm 31
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 18

I think it’s probably likely Phil made enough money to live comfortably–until he needed $2 million for his defense.

And even a low grade 9-carat diamond isn’t cheap; depending on its cut, its clarity and its color, in addition to its carat weight, expect to pay minimum $50,000. At a jewlers convention, I was allowed to put on a 10-carat canary diamond ring (I nearly fainted it was so beautiful). value $2 million. Doubtful Phil sprung for that!

In addition to the Smart car, Mrs Spector

visits her husband in prison every weekend, driving the 180 miles to Corcoran Prison in a new Lexus SUV with the numberplate I♥PHIL.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:33 pm 32
In response to bmaz @ 23

Still? My Itunes Ramones downloads paid for his honey?

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:33 pm 33
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 13

Punk Rock bands had problems with his style of interpersonal communication.

I always preferred the cricket bat approach, myself.

;>)

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:33 pm 34
In response to Petrocelli @ 16

But of course…! Aloha, how’s the Great White North…? ;-)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:34 pm 35
In response to ratfood @ 24

Castle is mortgaged. She’s selling the antiques.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:35 pm 36
In response to Suzanne @ 25

Seconded! And is he still using in prison? If he is still strange then I bet he’s using.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:36 pm 37
In response to darkblack @ 33

The British version of the Al Capone school of business management.

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:37 pm 38

driving the 180 miles to Corcoran Prison

They’ve got Phil in the Cork? He could play Hearts with Charlie for a cig a point! Maybe do a little songwriting…

;>)

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:38 pm 39
In response to darkblack @ 33

If you need weapons to deal with your employees you might have labor/management issues to work out.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:38 pm 40
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 32

Only he ones from End of the Century from 1980
(“Chinese Rock,” “Rock N Roll High School,” “Baby I Love You” (which Spector wrote in the 60s)

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:38 pm 41

That’s a bummer. The overhead for the place must be incredible.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:38 pm 42
In response to CTuttle @ 34

We’re in the 90′s today and tomorrow … Beer & BBQ weather ! *g*

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:38 pm 43
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 36

Psych meds maybe…

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:39 pm 44
In response to darkblack @ 33

That last image you made of Rove was inexcusable ! *g*

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:40 pm 45

Good nothing I got.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:40 pm 46
In response to darkblack @ 38

Phil should produce Charlie’s songs!

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:40 pm 47

Prison he can buy whatever he wants if he has the cash.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:41 pm 48
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 36

I think he might be isolated for his own protection. Would likely make it harder to score unless he can bribe the guards.

While it’s true Phil was always a bit of an odd duck I was just reading his discography he contributed to a ton of great music. Some foundered at the time of release only to become radio standards at a later date.

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:41 pm 49

the Al Capone school of business management.

Don Arden/Peter Grant division.

:D

‘Employees’, TCU? I always thought of them as young hellions in need of firm direction. Nothing firmer than good Canadian spruce.

;>)

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:43 pm 50
In response to darkblack @ 49

ROFL … DB !!!

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:43 pm 51
In response to Petrocelli @ 42

We got all the way up to 65 today, which is the warmest it has been for a while. I can haz sum summer?

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:43 pm 52
In response to ratfood @ 48

Bribe the guards heck they probably demand he bribe them for protection.

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:43 pm 53
In response to Petrocelli @ 44

Rove…? I don’t believe I know the gentleman.

;>)

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:44 pm 54
In response to darkblack @ 49

Employee’s or kids?

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:44 pm 55

If Charlie had gotten the record contract he wanted 42 years ago, think how different things might have been.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:44 pm 56
In response to ratfood @ 48

Rachelle told the Daily Mail UK

There are 200 inmates in the same facility but he only leaves his cell to go for kosher meals. He hates the prison food. It’s slop. The food is bad for his cholesterol. I always made him tasty, healthy food.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:46 pm 57
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 52

I seem to recall he has been violently assaulted at least once. I hate that, if he did the crime let him do the time but he is a sick man and should be allowed to live in peace.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:47 pm 58

It was chilly this past weekend, so we made Tandoori Chicken Masala in a Crock Pot, thanks for telling me about that. Since Sunday, we’ve been nudging 90 and it’s going up to 95 tomorrow.

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:47 pm 59

It would be like Sid doing ‘My Way‘ – So bad it’s good.

;>)

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:49 pm 60

Speaking from County jail experience avoid the brown peaches nothing cleans you quicker.

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:49 pm 61
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 54

In the business I’m referring to I was the employee, technically. Kids don’t come into it.

;>)

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:49 pm 62
In response to Petrocelli @ 58

I always made him tasty, healthy food.

With lots of minerals, especially the heavy metal ones.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:50 pm 63
In response to ratfood @ 55

My high school was mentioned in the book Helter Skelter because it was down the street from the Tate house (we used to ditch up there and eat lunch) becuase the studentw were having a camp out and they heard screams.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:50 pm 64

Undoubtedly true. At first I was a little surprised kosher food is available but then, Muslims have similar dietary requirements. I’m glad the institution makes some concession in that respect.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:51 pm 65
In response to Petrocelli @ 58

My pleasure to help those in need! We have been unusually cool here all month, which may be a good thing since we are really low on snowpack and are anticipating a hellacious fire season.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:51 pm 66
In response to ratfood @ 57

Probably a shakedown to get him to pay or a nut who wants to be famous. But agreed he should be forced to watch daytime TV for the rest of his time in peace….that is until he wants to scratch his own eyeballs out.

aardvark | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:54 pm 67

Beaver implies pelt, which seems, thankfully, largely become extinct.

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:57 pm 68
In response to darkblack @ 53

*heh* Your most Brain Bleach worthy ‘masterpieces’ were of Turdblossom, iircc…! ;-)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:57 pm 69
In response to Petrocelli @ 58

OMG, I love chicken tikka masala…and my roommate has a crock pot–could you email me the recipe, please?

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 08:58 pm 70

“It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, you could almost hear the sound of ice rattling in cocktail shakers in the homes way down the canyon.”

Poor (but lucky to be alive) William Garretson. At first he claimed he heard nothing but later admitted he had peered out to see Abigail Folger being chased across the lawn. What a horrible night. Odd that the guest house didn’t have a phone or else he was too terrified to call for help.

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:00 pm 71
In response to CTuttle @ 68

‘Brain bleach’…? Goodness Mr. Tuttle, whatever would blog reading gentlefolk ever need that for?

;>)

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:00 pm 72
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 66

I seem to recall the attack was provoked by his being a tad mouthier than was wise. Unfortunate in any case.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:02 pm 73
In response to ratfood @ 64

However:

Prisons can restrict the rights of inmates to nerd out, a federal appeals court has found.

In an opinion issued on Monday , a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit rejected the claims in a lawsuit challenging a ban on the game Dungeons & Dragons by the Waupun Correctional Institution in Wisconsin.

The suit was brought by a prisoner, Kevin T. Singer, who argued that his First Amendment and 14th Amendment rights were violated by the prison’s decision to ban the game and confiscate his books and other materials, including a 96-page handwritten manuscript he had created for the game.

Mr. Singer, “a D&D enthusiast since childhood,” according to the court’s opinion, was sentenced to life in prison in 2002 for bludgeoning and stabbing his sister’s boyfriend to death.

Prison officials said they had banned the game at the recommendation of the prison’s specialist on gangs, who said it could lead to gang behavior and fantasies about escape.

Dungeons & Dragons could “foster an inmate’s obsession with escaping from the real-life correctional environment, fostering hostility, violence and escape behavior,” prison officials said in court. That could make it more difficult to rehabilitate prisoners and could endanger public safety, they said.

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:02 pm 74
In response to darkblack @ 71

Precisely for the likes of you…! ;-)

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:04 pm 75
In response to darkblack @ 38

DB! I’ve been LOOKING for a reason to sang yer praises (aside from the photoshops)!

Brilliant!

Lisa, what a phreakin story!

And yeah, I like yer manner of tellin it . .

Saddest in ALL of this, is that Wall Of Sound and the bands and the music he once created, that shaped so many lives. It was MAJESTIC in its time.

And Girl Groups, Phil was Da King! Odd and ironic and twisted he championed the gal sound, while likely screwing them all outta their money, too . . .

Wonder What Darlene Love N Ronnie Ever Got.

What a history, what a grand impact on the music from ’59 thru the mid 60′s.

What a waste.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:04 pm 76

Coitenly, m’dear ! *g*

I will request Dr. Dick to send his recipe to you as well, via Facebook.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:06 pm 77
In response to Petrocelli @ 76

Which one? Tandoori chicken or lamb curry? Never tried the chicken in the crockpot, I always cook that on the grill or in the oven.

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:06 pm 78

So, all it takes to end gang violence in prisons is forbidding prisoners from playing D & D. Who knew?

Also, seems a little appalling that it is not enough to keep them physically restrained, we must not allow them to dream of life outside either.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:06 pm 79

OK thats stupid nobody needs a game to dream of escape.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:07 pm 81

Send her the Lamb Curry recipe, please.

Lisa, this is an incredible recipe !

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:09 pm 82
In response to Petrocelli @ 81

I can do that. How do I contact her?

darkblack | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:09 pm 83
In response to CTuttle @ 74

Well, I don’t have any ‘Phil’ – really – so you’ll just have to settle for this hot old number.

;>)

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:11 pm 84
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 79

Ironically, one would think that the ‘escapism’ D&D provides would be a constructive distraction, rather than a destructive means…!

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:11 pm 85
In response to darkblack @ 83

LOL!

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:11 pm 86
In response to Petrocelli @ 81

Dude, just post the danged thang!!!

Geez . . . . lol

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:13 pm 87

I’m sending you her link via Facebook.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:13 pm 88
In response to CTuttle @ 84

Agreed a happy distraction

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:14 pm 89

Probably been 35 years since I read the book, I’d forgotten that Garretson misidentified some of the victims and didn’t even recognize Steven Parent, who had been there visiting him… Not surprising though, he must have been in complete shock. I’m glad it didn’t take long for them to clear him as a suspect.

On a brighter note, I believe I will call it a night. Thanks for the great post, Lisa. Splendid evening to all.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:14 pm 90
In response to Petrocelli @ 87

Thanks! I’ll do it tomorrow.

DrDick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:15 pm 91
In response to ratfood @ 89

Nighters! Think I will toddle off as well. Take care all.

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:15 pm 92

Don’t encourage him, Puh-leese…! ;-)

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:16 pm 93
In response to ratfood @ 89

G’nite RF ! G’nite Dr Dick !

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:17 pm 94

Aloha, Dr. D…!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:17 pm 95

Both! All! PLEASE!!! I love Indian food, and as much as I adore the local place that delivers (Punjabi Sikhs who own it), I like to cook.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:17 pm 96

Night, Dr Dick!

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:18 pm 97
In response to ratfood @ 89

Aloha, rf…!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:18 pm 98

Night ratfood!

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:19 pm 99

Take lamb and trim all fat and cut into cubes.
Dredge with small amount of flour.
Heat brazing pan (deep dish pan), heat oil, brown lamb.
Remove from pan.
Add tons of garlic and onions.
Brown lightly, deglaze with nice Sauterne.
Return lamb, add red or green or yellow curry paste or powder.
Add lamb stock to cover.
Add carrots, celeriac cubes, and chili serrano’s to taste (seeded).
Add other vegetables as desired based on thickness of veg (cooking time).
Simmer for two hours at low heat.

Make Jasmine rice with chicken stock, some garam masala, and a splash of Thai Fish Sauce.

Spoon lamb over rice and eat!

That’s off the top of my head.

I GUESS you could incorporate coconut milk, raisins, and such, make it more Indian/Polynesian.

I wouldn’t.

So Petro, POST it hoss!!!

Dyin to see it . . .;-)

onitgoes | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:20 pm 100

Amusing story; I had forgotten all about her. I suppose once her cd is released we’ll all want to forget her even more! But that’s mean. If she’s married to that weirdo, she needs all the luck she can get.
But yes aren’t those e- Meg & scaredycat Steve ads just the worst???? Gah! If I was a republic, I’d have to vote for whoever else is on the ticket. Those 2 suck!!! They are both text book definitions of Morans!!!!! Cannot wait for the @&$! Primary to be ovah!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:23 pm 101
In response to Larue @ 99

Sounds delish. I used to throw New Years Day parties with veg curry (I’d use purple potatoes and yellow curry for Jupiter and Sol energy–success and prosperity–and green peas for cash, carrots for communication) and a chicken chili. Spicy food to help with hangvoers.

Now I make hoppin’ john on New Years Eve and take it to someone else’s on the 1st!

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:23 pm 102

I’m gonna assume along in here there’s ginger, pickled ginger, galangal, Keifer lime leaves and such.

But I’d LIKE to see Petro’s recipe! ;-)

ratfood | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:23 pm 103

(slaps forehead) I just recalled that the first thing Tex did was cut the phone line…

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:24 pm 104

1 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into medium cubes
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
5 ounces yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small can of tomato sauce
5 cloves (large size) garlic, finely chopped
1/2 can chopped green chilies – if you like spicy food
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric

If you’re not into foraging for all those seasonings, use Patak’s Chicken Masala along with the yogurt, to taste.

Whisk together all of the ingredients then add marinated chicken in your crockpot. Turn the crockpot on low until the chicken is cooked throughout (6-8 hours).
Serve with Basmati rice.

Dr. Dick’s Lamb Curry is great, will have to dig for my own fave Lamb recipe, if you want it.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:25 pm 105
In response to ratfood @ 103

wow, I didnt rememebr that–the part about my high school always stuck in my mind.. We had an American history teacher Mr. Ireland, BUT he wasn’t TIM Ireland, the one in the book.

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:28 pm 106

Lisa, I assume from your foodie patois of past and present ya know yer way around good taste!

Love your thoughts there on the holiday thangs. Nice.

For The Hoppin John Southern Deprived.

You ever work with Scotch Bonnet Peppers? *AYYYYY*

Never again in my life . . . that was 30 years ago. ;-)

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:29 pm 107
In response to Petrocelli @ 104

Nice recipe hoss! Yeah, POST that lamb one, I’m droolin here!

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:30 pm 108

Great Rice Recipe:

2 cups basmati rice
5 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
5-6 whole cloves
1/3 cup chopped onion or 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Heat the Oil, then toss in the Onion and other spices and let them cook for 1-2 minutes. Add Water and Rice. When Water begins to boil, lower heat so that it simmers until Rice is cooked. Be careful not to overcook Basmati.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:32 pm 109
In response to Larue @ 107

I’ll have to dig up my Lamb recipe … will post it some other time.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:32 pm 110
In response to onitgoes @ 100

We laugh so hard at them. Each timme they come on, my roommate and I try to top the insanity:

“Meg Whitman will establish nudist elementary schools and make practical sex education a mandatory part of PE, And she’ll do this BY RAISING TAXES!”

“Steve Poizner is secretly supporting open borders and RAISING TAXES to pay for illegal aliens to get a free higher education and will use YOUR TAX DOLLARS to subsidize companies to hire illegal aliens!”

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:33 pm 111

What Petro reminds me of is that ya gotta think about marinades.

I keep forgetting that WRT Indian cooking.

And yogurts, lemon or lime, vinegars, hot peppers, a bit of sweet from coconut milk.

All make GREAT marinades! Along with the galangal, garam masala’s, curry’s, and such, too.

Dang I’m hongry now . . . Lisa, sorry bein a bit too off topic here, from The Phil . . . my bad.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:33 pm 112
In response to Larue @ 107

I usually marinate the chicken overnight but with the crockpot, the flavor gets cooked through and through … drat, I’m hungry again ! *g*

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:35 pm 113
In response to Petrocelli @ 108

GREAT recipe! What if ya used Ghee instead of EVOO?

I always season my rice’s with a stock and with garlic, onions, and other herbs depending on what I’m using it for. And adding in Indian flavors, or Ital flavors, or Mexican flavors . . .

Good stuff!!!!

Margot | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:36 pm 114
In response to Petrocelli @ 104

Thanks, Petro!

Larue | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:36 pm 115

That’s FAR too creative writing gal, you have a calling there and I assume you’ve tapped into it . . .

Too funny! Loved it . . .

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:40 pm 116
In response to Petrocelli @ 104

I love lamb. For a bbq last weekend, by friend made lamb according a recipe I bastardized from the Irish times circa 1995:

original: marinate butterflied leg of lamb in balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, mint and garlic. Grill.

My version adds rosemary, lemon balm, lemon verbena to the above.

I grow all the herbs except garlic, and I have used rosemary spears stripped of leaves as skewers for grilled scallops..YUM

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:41 pm 117
In response to Larue @ 111

Late is all about free flow association. No real topics, and the participants dictate the vibe.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:42 pm 118
In response to Larue @ 113

I prefer to use Ghee on Flatbreads and EVOO with Rice … different taste.

You’re on topic, Lisa’s post is about Phil’s Goose, which is cooked ! *g*

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:46 pm 119

Your version of the Lamb seems better. Double YUM for the Scallops on Rosemary Spears … great idea !

What works best for Meat is, as Larue sez, a great marinade. With Red Meat, I start with Red Wine, then add the seasonings and let it sit in the Fridge overnight. With Chicken, I sub Yogurt for the Red Wine.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:48 pm 120

My hoppin john is super simple:

Sautee andouille sausage (I use the turkey andouille, remove from pan, add 2 tbs oil and sauteed chopped garlic, celery and onions. Add grated carrots, cayenen pepper flakes a sautee.

Open a box of spanish rice mix and make according to directions, adding a RINSED can of black eyed peas cooked sausage and thawed forzen spinach and or cooked cokked greens (kale, collard..). When done, add cooked corn and Tabasco to taste.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:51 pm 121
In response to Petrocelli @ 119

Sometimes I marinate chicken strips in buttermilk over night then dredge in breadcrumbs that I flavor some Old Bay cooking spice and bake on parchment paper–great fake fried chicken

CTuttle | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:51 pm 122

Dang, That sucker is a’hopping, eh…? ;-)

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:55 pm 123

I just learned about that Buttermilk bit last year … really makes it seems like crispy skin on the chicken.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:57 pm 124
In response to Margot @ 114

Margot !

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:58 pm 125
In response to CTuttle @ 122

Greens are folding money, black-eyed peas=coins.

Black-eyed peas are part of the African Diaspora in food, and in faith. They are sacred to Obatala in Santeria and Oxum in Candomble (Brazil).

In Western folk magic (which combined with African faith in the US for hoodoo/voodoo/root work) legumes are used for money magic

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:59 pm 126

Wo, what a GREAT night, I think I will eat ice cream and plan a market list for some cooking!

Suzanne | Tuesday May 25, 2010 10:00 pm 127

twas great lisa — as always.

Petrocelli | Tuesday May 25, 2010 10:02 pm 128

Dr. Dick will send you his Lamb curry recipe via FB … worth trying. I’ll dig up my Lamb recipe in a few days and send it to you.

G’nite !

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday May 25, 2010 11:10 pm 129
In response to Marion in Savannah @ 6

And poor you, nowhere else to go on the internet!

C’mon, Marion, cut some slack.
It’s Late Night.

hijean831 | Tuesday May 25, 2010 11:25 pm 130

I like the way he looks. He’s boyish and cute

Oh, ick.

vinceandfrances | Wednesday May 26, 2010 02:53 pm 131

Sorry – not sure if that last response went through. I will try to remember what I said. Thanks for the thorough article, I had no idea Mrs. Spector had said this much stupid stuff. What you might not know is a guy named Graham Ward co-produced this CD and is NOT getting any cred whatsoever. My husband and I are so floored because we’re big fans of Graham’s. Graham AND Mr. Spector co-produced Hargo’s song for Mr. Lennon. Mrs. Spector wants us to believe that Mr. Spector sat on his hands for the last thirty years until he heard HER golden voice? Outrageous. Google “Graham Ward” + “Phil and Rachelle Spector CD.”