Robert Rodriguez’s MACHETE Has Some Cinco de Mayo Words for AZ

UPDATE: Despite Robert Rodriguez wanting this spread everywhere, 20th Century Fox yanked it off YOUTube. You can still watch it here

A very special Cinco de Mayo card to Arizona from director Robert Rodriguez, starring Jessica Alba, Robert De Niro, Lindsay Lohan,  Don Johnson,  Cheech Marin and Danny Trejo as the title character Machete.

Via Aintitcool.com:

Hey Arizona, Don’t Fuck With This Mexican… MACHETE has some Cinco De Mayo words for you!!!…Rodriguez is calling this his “Illegal” trailer. You see, Robert talked Fox into letting him put together a Cinco De Mayo message for ARIZONA – given. Well, the way things are in Arizona at this moment – it is kinda insane that there is a movie that was shot over a year ago waiting to be released that is about – THIS EXACT ISSUE… but if, Danny Trejo and buddies went Revolution Wacko as a result.

Make no bones about it, this is a pure Mexploitation film, but like real exploitation at its height, that shit was pulled straight out of the headlines, even sometimes slightly before the headlines were the headlines. Frankly – that’s just kinda cool. We’ve all known about this silly fun project of Robert’s for a while, but then… an entire fucking state just goes fucking nuts

24 Responses to "Robert Rodriguez’s MACHETE Has Some Cinco de Mayo Words for AZ"
therumpledone | Wednesday May 5, 2010 02:50 pm 1

Is the US CODE UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

US CODE TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part VIII > § 1325

§ 1325. Improper entry by alien

TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part VIII > § 1324a

§ 1324a. Unlawful employment of aliens

WE DO NOT NEED IMMIGRATION REFORM. WE NEED IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT.

ENFORCE THE LAW

We should treat immigrants like Mexico does:

At present, Article 67 of Mexico’s Population Law says, “Authorities, whether federal, state or municipal … are required to demand that foreigners prove their legal presence in the country, before attending to any issues.”

That would simplify things.

ShotoJamf | Wednesday May 5, 2010 07:39 pm 2

Looks like Machete will be a major-league hoot. Nice catch, Lisa.

ratfood | Wednesday May 5, 2010 07:56 pm 3

Wow, give her a nun’s habit and pistol, suddenly Lindsey Lohan is attractive to me.

Who knew?

Cujo359 | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:05 pm 4

All I can think while I’m watching this trailer is Blowed Up. Well, that and Robert Rodriguez is another director who clearly likes to cast the same actors in all his movies.

puppethead | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:06 pm 5

Is this a modern Billy Jack?

Mesa Mick | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:06 pm 6

Just like drama queen Mexican illegals – If we Americans don’t let them come and go as they please then, just like the narco-thugs in Mexico, they will butcher the yankees with machetes because they are the “la raza”. You know, like the Aryan race only brown. Boy are you hollywood types being played for chumps. And your response: Brilliant, just fuckin’ brilliant.

Mexican thugs chopping up Americans – That really makes me sympathetic to the cause of illegal Mexicans.

Then you wonder why AZ is reacting in it’s own self defense by passing SB 1070. Perhaps if the feds did their job of enforcing the existing immigration laws and opted to secure our borders – both North and South – AZ wouldn’t take matters of the self defense of it’s LEGAL AMERICAN citizens into their own hands till the feds get off their asses and do something…

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:17 pm 7
In response to therumpledone @ 1

Ah, but how do you recognize a “foreigner” here? A driver’s license is not proof of citizenship, and a social security is not proof of ID. Are you advocating a national ID card? Micro-chipping?

I have been told I look a) Canadian; b) European;
c) weird; d) lovely; e) otherworldly.

My friend Kelvez is brown skinned. He could be several ethnicities, but he is a US citizen.

Cujo359 | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:33 pm 8
In response to Mesa Mick @ 6

Making people who “look like” illegal immigrants prove their citizenship to prove they “belong” pretty might dispel my sympathy for the people along the border who actually do face some dangers because of the all the people trafficking. At least, it would if I were a bigot.

newtonusr | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:38 pm 9
In response to Cujo359 @ 8

That’s a great construct.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday May 5, 2010 08:39 pm 10
In response to Cujo359 @ 4

Like Coppola, Goddard, DiPalma, Corman: Auteur.

ratfood | Wednesday May 5, 2010 09:02 pm 11

I was fortunate enough to catch Al Sharpton on This Week last Sunday. He is excellent at distilling these issues down to the most important element. In defense of the AZ law George Will used an analogy of all the buildings in the capitol which require people to present I.D. to enter. Sharpton immediately responded that EVERYONE has to provide I.D., not just those who fit a profile.

cinnamonape | Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:28 pm 12

Someone needs to start challenging this talk-show figures to immediately pull out proof of THEIR citizenship on the programs. See how many can comply. Some may pull out a driver license…but few will have a passport, and none their Birth Certificates. Point out that in Arizona that would likely get them detained IF…they were brown.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday May 5, 2010 10:36 pm 13

I wonder how the law will be applied to illegal immigrants with white skin, say Canadians? I mean it’s kinda hard to tell them apart from say New Yorkers or folks on vacation from Fargo. I guess everyone in AZ should be questioned if they look “out of place.” Because that’s a really good use of law enforcement’s time and resources

If you are a tourist from another country, what proof are you supposed to have with you to prove you are here legally–and planning to leave?

And who is in favor of a national ID card?

beowulf | Wednesday May 5, 2010 11:45 pm 14

The backstory of this flick is that “Machete” was one of the fake trailers in the Tarantino-Rodriquez doubleheader Grindhouse. Since the trailer was easily the best part of Grindhouse, naturally Rodriguez went ahead and made it a real movie.

“Don’t hire him to kill the bad guy unless you’re damn sure you’re not the bad guy”. Truer words were never spoken :o)

And I’m in favor of a National ID, in fact I have one in my desk drawer, its called a passport. Instead of a new National ID bureaucracy, simply require drivers and job applicants to carry their passport and/or visa with them. Foreign tourists would be fine carrying their own country’s passport (the expiration date on their stamped entry visa easily proves they’re here legally).

I hate to point out the obvious but foreign nationals are not citizens, they can’t run for office, they can’t vote and they have no constitutional right to live here. Every “alien” (the statutory term) 14 years or older in the US for more than 30 days is required to register with Uncle Sam (8 US 1302), further, every alien 18 years or older is required to carry their registration paperwork with them at all times (8 US 1304).

bgrothus | Thursday May 6, 2010 06:33 am 15
In response to puppethead @ 5

Hey, I was an extra in “Billy Jack.” I guess BJ was sort of a reverse deal, bad white girl trying to fit in with the NA culture, but the hero (besides BJ) was a sweet NA boy who told her she should be herself, not an “everybody’s.” Terrible acting, but a cult fave.

Lisa Derrick | Thursday May 6, 2010 09:10 am 16
In response to bgrothus @ 15

I. Just. Go. Beserk!

roundhouse kick

Mesa Mick | Thursday May 6, 2010 09:16 am 17
In response to beowulf @ 14

Like you beowulf, I have no problem with having a “national” ID card. In case the drama queens who bleat and bray about having their liberties tramped on if we as a country opt for one, perhaps they should remember that most all Americans already have a national ID card – It’s called a Social Security card. Never heard of anyone pissing and moaning about their “liberty and freedom” being violated having to show their SS card when they get hired for a job – have you?

And the other bogus argument is that those that object most to having to carry ID with them say being asked for ID is a violation of their privacy. Tell you wha, that “privacy” ship sailed when credit reporting bureaus came along.

And don’t you just love the fear mongering hysteria that the “open border” and “immigration scoff laws” use as an argument for not having your ID with you when your out and about. One of the greatest “Make’em pee in their pants” hypotheticals being passed around the Mexican conclaves here in AZ is this one.

The anti-illegal immigration weenies are saying posses of AZ state troopers and sheriffs deputies in jack boots and silver reflecting sunglasses will be setting up ID check points in front of the WalMart in Old Tucson demanding in bad German accents “show me your papers”. And you know what, the La Raza and “sanctuary city” types are ginning up fear-mongering propaganda that this is what SB 1070 will do! Man, they must have read the rethugliCANT How-To book on instilling irrational fear in Americans, legal or otherwise.

As for me, I carry my ID everytime I leave the house – no big deal really. And I hope and pray that a law enforcement type stops me and asks for my ID. I’m more than happay to prove I’m an American and relish every opportunity to proudly prove it. But then again I’m a legal US citizen…

And don’t came at me with that bullshit that AZ SB 1070 makes it legal for a AZ law enforcement types to simply ask for ID for no apparent reason. The hard fact is that SB 1070 reinforces and adds yet another layer to EXISTING laws – both federal and state – that makes it illegal for cops to do just that. They have to have good cause that can be proven in a court of law for stopping you in the first place and being brown ain’t one of those reasons. And they can’t ask you if you’re an American citizen either, something the “illegal brown is beautiful” scoff laws conveniently fail to mention…

nlubofsky | Thursday May 6, 2010 11:27 am 18

YouTube took down the video, but you can still see it here:

dakine01 | Thursday May 6, 2010 12:39 pm 19
In response to Mesa Mick @ 17

I guess that legally the Social Security card NOT being considered an ID has no bearing?

Lisa Derrick | Thursday May 6, 2010 03:14 pm 20
In response to dakine01 @ 19

Yes, I have read that on the card itself.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday May 6, 2010 03:33 pm 21
In response to therumpledone @ 1

Fine put a few CEO’s in jail for hiring immigrants then we will talk.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday May 6, 2010 03:36 pm 22
In response to Mesa Mick @ 6

Funny I hear no complaints from your side about Hispanics in Hollywood always getting prison and criminal parts.
I’m sure that didn’t change voters minds about Hispanics even though AZ’s crime rate has staid the same for years despite population growth much of it illegal.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday May 6, 2010 03:44 pm 23

So when is this coming out? Whats with this whole invest in movies thing I heard about if this film comes out before the election I’d like to invest.

DonWilliams | Thursday May 6, 2010 11:32 pm 24

Sweet Lisa. She believes everything she reads.