A number of students from Itawamba Agricultural High School have  joined the discussion on the post The MEANEST Town in America.  According to the most recent comments, there were three

parent run proms

for students on the night of April 2, the night of the country club prom that Constance attended with five others. The student, screen name fentdog goes on to say:

I don’t much about the school run prom. I do know that everyone went to Evergreen because more work was put into it.

As the photos show, a lot of work went into the Evergreen prom, including a marquee tent with decorations like huge cut outs of masks seen above, balloon arches and disco lights.

The student writes that the Evergreen  event did not have tickets, that there were no invitations, instead kids were “told about” the Evergreen event. The student writes about Constance

people tried to go contact her, but she would never pick up her phone. On the night of the prom, she goes to a different one…the school sponsored one. She didn’t know that everyone had decided to go to Evergreen, thus she had a fit. I can personally recall trying to call Constance to go to Evergreen….but she never answered.

Hmmm, okay. So then why wasn’t she emailed, or Facebooked about it? And what about the other kids who showed up at the country club?

The Evergreen prom/dance party, the one which had photos that appeared on Facebook, the one with kids dressed to the nines cruising away stretch SUVs, the one “everyone went to” where two girls where photographed tongue kissing, shared the same theme as the original school prom which was to be held at the IAHS Commons, according to a memo, dated February 5, which appears to be from the school, issued by two teachers.

The apparent memo about the original prom stated the theme, Masquerade. That theme is seen in photos from the Evergreen party.

The memo also laid down the criteria for the students’ guests. It clearly states that  guests

must be of the opposite sex

Constance challenged that.

Constance isn’t the first student to face discrimination at IAHS. Just before Constance spoke out, another student was forced to leave town.

On February 4, 2010,  WTVA reported that IAHS student Juin Baize was suspended for wearing make up, women’s clothing and boots to school.  Juin, who per Dan Savage, currently prefers the use of the male pronoun, said

They told me that I can not come to school dressed like a girl.

The story continues:

And that’s unfair…says Juin’s friend, senior Constance McMillen.

She says a group of girls came to school Thursday morning, dressed as guys in support of Juin dressing like he does.

Constance says the principal immediately told Juin to go home.

McMillen said, “Mr. Wiygul came to Juin and told him he had to leave and I stopped Mr. Wiygul and I said Mr. Wiygul why are you making him leave? Because he’s dressed like a girl? And he said yes, and I said you know that’s not fair because all of us are dressed like boys. Why aren’t you telling us to leave? And he just said I’m following orders from the school board and I said you can’t rightfully make him leave and not make us leave because, I mean, it’s the same thing.”

Juin was was given a suspension notice and sent home, and when he returned to school after his first suspension, he was suspended again. The reasons for a student’s suspension are supposed to be noted on the suspension form, but that part of Baize’s suspension notice was left blank, according to Kristy Bennett, legal director of the ACLU of Mississippi.

Bennett told Dan Savage:

Juin’s case was a situation where a transgender student wanted to attend school dressed in feminine clothing, and the school district would not even let him attend school.

Neither the superintendent nor school board attorney wanted to go on camera with WTVA, but both did talk to WTVA by phone at the time of the incident, telling the news station that they.

are simply following the handbook rules, which allows a student to be sent home, if he or she is determined to be a distraction.

The situation escalated, and Juin’s mother, who had just relocated from Indiana to stay with relatives, moved Juin out of state to live friends, fearing for Juin’s safety. Juin is currently attending a virtual school, and the ACLU which was investigating the cae said they won’t be pursuing it.

Juin not being in Fulton makes it difficult for us to pursue any kind of legal action here. And personally, I feel it may be a better decision for Juin to relocate and move on with his life.

The “distraction” issue is being used by the American Family Association to bolster the IAHS school board’s decision. In an editorial published on the Itawamba County Journal site, NEM360.com, Bryan Fisher, the AFA’s Director of Issues Analysis cites a Supreme Court decision, Morse v. Frederick (2007)

that school officials are entitled to restrict student speech and expressions in order to maintain an orderly, disruption-free school environment.

But a reader succinctly refutes that, stating that Fisher misrepresents Morse v. Fredrick, which was case about drug usage, quoting an analysis:

Joseph Frederick, a student at Juneau-Douglas High School  in Juneau, Alaska, displayed a banner at a high school event on which was written:  “Bong Hits 4 Jesus.”  The principle, Deborah Morse, regarded the banner as promoting illegal drugs and confiscated the banner and suspended the student.  After the Ninth Circuit held that the principle violated the student’s First Amendment’s rights, the Supreme Court overturned and held that his rights were not violated…

Chief Justice Roberts wrote “[And] that the rights of students ‘must be applied in light of the special characteristics of the school environment.’ … Consistent with these principles, we hold that schools may take steps to safeguard those entrusted to their care from speech that can reasonably be regarded as encouraging drug use.”

The environment at IAHS may come up very soon. Chris Keifer reports in NEM360.com

The American Civil Liberties Union is questioning the motives behind the two events as it drafts its lawsuit seeking damages from the Itawamba County School District…

We are disappointed at the sparse attendance (at the event McMillen attended), and we’re looking further into the situation,” said Kristy Bennett, legal director of the ACLU of Mississippi.

“Whatever we find will be brought to the court’s attention, whether it is in the damages trial, or whatever. There will still be a trial on the merits. The case didn’t end in the preliminary hearing.”

[ht Dan SavageQueerty.com]

81 Responses to "The “Mean Prom” Masquerade Continues, Constance Not the First to Face Discrimination"
milowent | Friday April 9, 2010 12:50 pm 1

nice post!! its now exposed that the “secret” “party” was the REAL PROM. right after the prom, parents were not saying this was a prom at all – they were saying it was a “party” –see the pic i captured on my post. some have said it was a “birthday even” (i haven’t seen proof of that, but its been claimed)

Teddy Partridge | Friday April 9, 2010 12:57 pm 2

These people are mean and cruel.

They will regret their actions, though it might be a long time coming.

So sad.

Lisa Derrick | Friday April 9, 2010 02:34 pm 3
In response to milowent @ 1

Thanks, Milo. The link I have to queerty above has a very interesting pic of the prom…

eCAHNomics | Friday April 9, 2010 05:28 pm 4

Sorry, but I just can’t be exercised by something so trivial as a prom. Grow up.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:34 pm 5
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

I can’t even read that post.
Print’s too little.
Don’t you you dislike a Friday nite post where you can’t read and could care less?
Wanna talk about shoes? I’ve got some sandals I could take out of the closet.

RevBev | Friday April 9, 2010 05:36 pm 6
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

Yes, Mother….to some folks, however, it is indeed much more than a prom.

eCAHNomics | Friday April 9, 2010 05:38 pm 7
In response to demi @ 5

I switched to firefox. If you hold down the control and the + key, the type gets bigger. Hope that helps.

eCAHNomics | Friday April 9, 2010 05:39 pm 8
In response to RevBev @ 6

So ‘xplain it to me.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:39 pm 9
In response to RevBev @ 6

Bev, not helpful. Everyone’s hurting right now. A little peace would be good.

eCAHNomics | Friday April 9, 2010 05:43 pm 10
In response to demi @ 5

Not a shoes person. However, in the salad daze right after I involuntarily ‘retired,’ I bought a fair amount of footware that turns out to be absolutely useless. I’m talking perhaps less than 10 pair, which, relatively new, I’m looking for a donee.

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 05:43 pm 11

My 30 year high school Reunion is this year. I am flirting with the idea of going.

30 years ago the school administration actually specifically asked me not to attend the prom. (I was quite out, and on my own at that time.) I really hadn’t considered it frankly, and was taken aback that they asked me to “abstain” so to say. Heh.

Anyhow it worked out that the band I was playing in played at a Prom!

The long and short of it for me is that in 30 years there is that the discrimination needle really has barely moved. All the difference is that now, a kid discriminated against can garner some wide support and media.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:45 pm 12
In response to eCAHNomics @ 7

Thanks. I’ve been on Firefox for a while and it does work better for me.

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 05:46 pm 13

Speaking of hurting, my UI benefits are out if when congress doesn’t act

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 05:47 pm 14
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 11

LMAO! I got an invitation to my ten year reunion. After my response, I’ve never been invited to another. :P

RBG | Friday April 9, 2010 05:48 pm 15
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

You certainly have the right to decide that you “just can’t be exercised by something so trivial as a prom”.

But, this story is much bigger than your simple retort.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:49 pm 16

eCAHN, I’m not all that into material things, ie. shoes either. Just was using that as a point.
Kelly – the prom was a huge disappointment to me. Lots of other stuff to. But, if people want to make the prom a Thing, go for it.
It’s not like I get paid for being here or anything.

PJEvans | Friday April 9, 2010 05:51 pm 17
In response to demi @ 5

the letter at the top is an image file, not text. You’d have to save it to your disk and use a viewer to magnify it. (What the letter’s about is arrangements for the prom: the last line says that dates must be of the opposite sex, which tells me that they knew at least two months ago that they would be dealing with this.)

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:51 pm 18

To Margaret:
What was your response? You naughty girl.

eCAHNomics | Friday April 9, 2010 05:52 pm 19
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 11

My 50 year HS reunion is in 2012. Preps are underway. Kudoes to the wonderful kids who struggle against boredom of a large public HS. Don’t know anyone who was/is gay in my class. Quite an admission as in a class of 500+ there were many. Not saying they’re still not out, just saying I don’t know who they are. A 1962 quirk?

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 05:52 pm 20
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 11

Yeah, I was discouraged to….well not so much discouraged as threatened with arrest. Hence my scornful reaction to the reunion invitation.

eCAHNomics | Friday April 9, 2010 05:53 pm 21
In response to RBG @ 15

So educate me. I’m open to that.

trademarkdave | Friday April 9, 2010 05:53 pm 22

While her idiot classmates are struggling to get 20 hours a week at the local WalMarts, Constance will be using her $30,000 scholarship to get a REAL education in the civilized world. Then there’s also the baskets of money she’ll be getting for the book, film, and TV rights to her story. And you can bet those dimwitted misanthropic fucks will be squealing when they’re portrayed on the big screen as the hate-filled morons they are.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:53 pm 23
In response to RBG @ 15

I hope it’s okay with you if we each have our own purview.
Bigger picture, dude. If I may point that out.

Teddy Partridge | Friday April 9, 2010 05:54 pm 24
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 11

This is why, in case anyone was still wondering, this story isn’t really about a Prom at all.

I’m sorry, Kelly, that you were the one singled out thirty years ago. And hurray for Constance who, as it turns out, wasn’t just sticking up for herself but for a fellow student who’d been suspended for wearing girl’s clothes to school. All of this, of course, has been dismissed as attention-seeking behavior by her classmates on previous LaFiga blogs, just as some readers here dismiss this post as juvenile.

Face it, folks, this isn’t about Prom — this is about good old American discrimination. If you don’t want to chat about it, there are other blogs on the interwebs tonight.

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 05:55 pm 25
In response to demi @ 18

What was your response? You naughty girl.

Oh, I reminded them strongly profanely who I was, why I was asked not to attend and that nobody came to my defense. The person organizing it was one of the “popular” girls and one of the ones set against my attending the original prom. In fact, they asked me not to attend graduation either.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:55 pm 26
In response to PJEvans @ 17

Thanks.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:57 pm 27
In response to Margaret @ 25

Well, fuck them. Life’s hard, ain’t it?
Sorry for the UI thing. Sux. Baby. Hang in there.

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 05:57 pm 28
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 24

I was purposefully understating, hoping it would sink in.

It’s not about the prom.

Twain | Friday April 9, 2010 05:58 pm 29
In response to Margaret @ 25

I’m stunned. These people need a good a”" kicking.

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 05:58 pm 30
In response to demi @ 27

M’eh. I wouldn’t be the same person I am now without those experiences so I can’t complain. The fact is that I have and can endure more than all of those soft, whiny slugs put together and I have to be grateful for that.

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 05:59 pm 31
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 24

Facing all kinds of stuff, here. Thanks. I’ll work harder on that.
Love to be lectured. I do. I need to have people tell me what’s really important. ‘Cause I’m blond, and stuff.

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 06:00 pm 32
In response to Margaret @ 30

Amen!

Our resolve and determination in the face of shit like this, past or present, remains unabated, and says tons about US.

*Raises Glass to Us!*

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 06:00 pm 33
In response to Twain @ 29

Thanks but it was 1977. I dropped out instead, then got thrown out of college for attending without a high school diploma. Hah! Took them almost a year to catch on!

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 06:01 pm 34
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 32

I’ll raise a glass with you tonight flat. :-)

RBG | Friday April 9, 2010 06:05 pm 36
In response to demi @ 27

Yes it is. And your point is?

Teddy Partridge | Friday April 9, 2010 06:05 pm 37

*clink*

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 06:05 pm 38

I’m not waiting for anyone here to spell out how it’s not About The Prom. We’re not stupid.
Going out to dinner.
Bye.

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 06:06 pm 39
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 37

*clink*

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 06:06 pm 40

To RBG.
Are your panties in a bunch? Get over it. Hopefully.
I’m So Not The Enemy.
Bye. Again.

Teddy Partridge | Friday April 9, 2010 06:07 pm 41

Bye!

RBG | Friday April 9, 2010 06:07 pm 42
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 32

And one more glass to you kind sir. :)

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 06:07 pm 43
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 39

*clink*

demi | Friday April 9, 2010 06:07 pm 44
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 41

I’m so glad it works for you.

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 06:10 pm 45
In response to RBG @ 42

*clink to all*

HadEnough | Friday April 9, 2010 06:10 pm 46

In addition to the basic lack of humanity shown by this High School I believe this story should have legs because two years from now, many of these kids will be College Republicans. And five to ten years after that they will be the Regency grads some Repug puts into government positions. This action should haunt them starting now.

Teddy Partridge | Friday April 9, 2010 06:10 pm 47

Why does anyone waste their time here telling diarists they should write about something else?

Why do commenters waste their time here saying how little they care about the topic?

Why do people think anyone cares about their negative, or aggressively neutral, opinion about the topic at hand?

Is there a brand of computer that comes pre-loaded with and unchangeable from FDL and its several venues?

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 06:13 pm 48
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 47

Dunno. If I don’t like a topic or don’t think it’s relevant, I always surf around for something else. It’s not like there’s not enough content out there.

Teddy Partridge | Friday April 9, 2010 06:18 pm 49
In response to Margaret @ 48

yeah, there’s like, what, eleventy billion blogs?

Margaret | Friday April 9, 2010 06:20 pm 50
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 49

And that’s with half of the servers down.

RBG | Friday April 9, 2010 06:30 pm 51
In response to demi @ 40

1. I’m a guy whose “panties” are not likely to be twisted.

2. You can say what you want, but don’t think that you can say it and not subjected to the mods.

Albatross | Friday April 9, 2010 06:36 pm 52

I dunno, I thought it was rather nice of the school to arrange to keep all the assholes away from Constance’s prom.

Seriously, however, I have long thought that this story is as much about small town fiefdoms and territoriality as it is about bigotry. I mean, take the bigotry for granted, and the school’s reaction still doesn’t make sense.

Think about it – you’re called a bigot, so to prove your’re not a bigot, you arrange to trick all the “special” kids to go to a different prom? That’s not gonna work.

BUT if instead you’re a chaw-spittin’ Boss Hogg lookalike, why, yew maght nawt lahk sum flat-shoed fool from the ACLYEW tryin’ t’tell yew how’t'run yer school. An THEN, by gum, why you’ll discriminate against some li’l queer iffen yew damn well feel like doin’ so, wontcha?

So, yes, ignorant, pig-stupid, class-free bigots. But THIS particular reaction is more about control and the perception of interference by outsiders than it is about the bigotry per se.

Lisa Derrick | Friday April 9, 2010 06:39 pm 53
In response to eCAHNomics @ 4

eCAHN, this is not about a prom, this is about standing up for one’s rights, and about the denial of those rights.

eCAHN, if Constance were another a race, or disabled, and was sent to a prom where no one else was after she had stood up for her rights to be invited…would this effect you differently?

And was Rosa Parks “just a bus ride”?

sdpty | Friday April 9, 2010 06:55 pm 54

Yes, Lisa…
Unfortunately, some adults in the community apparently relied on old solutions to problems, having learned nothing from their history. They chose to stick with the time-honored tradition of discrimination. The consequence of which will be the perpetuation of discrimination to a new generation of Americans in the region.

sdpty | Friday April 9, 2010 06:56 pm 55

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 06:59 pm 56

Lisa, eCAHN’s Cahnstance is not only another race, she’s another species; a cat!

Nonetheless, I’m sure that eCAHN is on the correct side of the rights ledger. As well as well meaning others.

There’s a wee bit of a generational divide about use of social networks, and how much they matter to different people.

It’s hard for a lot of folks to realize how much the younger generations value their facebooking and so forth and how integral it is to them, much less their station and status in life at their particular time.

As for me, this hard core homo is going to let this slide.

Mary McCurnin | Friday April 9, 2010 07:00 pm 57

I didn’t go to my prom. I went to the French Quarter instead! Ha! Proms are boring. My parents made me go to graduation. All white girls in a public high school in Metairie, La. A thousand of us. The hoods actually took the rollers out of their hair for that special day.

BearCountry | Friday April 9, 2010 07:00 pm 58

I am surprised at eCAHN and Demi for their comments on this thread. Both of them are very harsh toward trolls that come to disrupt the threads that they think are important. Why would they do the trollish thing here. I certainly held their opinions in higher regard than this thread has shown. Demi was called a knight in shining armor and was proud of it. Why would she act like this on this thread. Both were just so out of character it is stunning. Why didn’t they just leave?

sdpty | Friday April 9, 2010 07:02 pm 59

attempting to attach this mirror experience from birmingham: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XSAfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qacEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6862,5131613

RBG | Friday April 9, 2010 07:03 pm 60
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 45

Clinkety clink to us all.

Mary McCurnin | Friday April 9, 2010 07:06 pm 61

Clinkety with bubblie.

Suzanne | Friday April 9, 2010 07:10 pm 62
In response to sdpty @ 59

it worked and wow, thank you

Kelly Canfield | Friday April 9, 2010 07:11 pm 63

If only we had Cash for Clinkers!

CTuttle | Friday April 9, 2010 08:18 pm 64
In response to sdpty @ 59

*wow* A poignant Blast from the Past…! *g*

studentofiahs | Friday April 9, 2010 08:53 pm 65

As a senior who actually goes to IAHS, unlike the people who are commenting on here. i would just like to say a few things without getting my head bit off. first off the so called secret prom wasnt actually a prom it was a dance that the students put together after prom was canceled for the second time. everyone knew about the dance by tuesday afternoon. the parents had given all the prom fee money back to the students. the reason the second prom was cancled was becouse we were supposed to pay for our tickets by the saturday before prom giving the parents a week to set up. constance missed the deadline to buy her tickets. the deadline was not kept secert it was posted all around the school and announced over the intercom ever morning for a week. the parents didnt want to get sued and cause the school to loose there funding. so they gave it back to the school to hold. back to the dance the student body was not told untill wenesday, 2 days before prom. most of the students who had desided to go to the dance found out about the prom after the fact. so there was no secert prom we didnt disclude constance she new about the dance she could have come. now would people have been happy. no they wouldnt have ill admit that but thats because constance has destroyed any chance we had a a normal senior year.
seond thing is to all the people threating anybody who lives in fulton or goes to school there. you all need to get your facts stright, before threating to destroy our careers and basicly our lives. we didnt discriminate agianst gays or people who have learning disabilites. the kids who have learning disabilites are the most popular students at our school. we love them to death. they are some of the best people we have there and eveyone knows it. we didnt, havent , and aslong as there a sane people going to school there, they will never be discrimanted agianst. as for gays, yes we do live in the bible belt and there have been a few problems, but nothing like this. but the so called secret prom was not agianst gays. the seniors of iahs wanted one night of something that was normal we didnt have to worry about the press or being called names for something that we didnt do. i personal went to the dance that the senior and jr. parents put on and hey guess what im gay and i went with my girlfriend. it wasnt prom the students werent discriminateing agianst gays or students with learning disabilities. this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. understand i do not codone what the school bored did i am simply saying that the students arent as guility as everyone wants you to think. so i beg of you to please leave us alone so that whats left of our senior year might be standable. senior year is supposed to be fun, a time to remeber. all i have to say this is something that none of us will forget but we wish you all would.

lioness | Friday April 9, 2010 09:03 pm 66
In response to studentofiahs @ 65

Honey, the thing none of us can understand is why y’all keep trying to blame this mess on Constance. Constance didn’t cancel the prom(s). The school board did. The only power Constance had was the power to call bullshit. It there hadn’t been any bullshit around in the first place, she couldn’t have called it.

cregan | Friday April 9, 2010 09:37 pm 67
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 2

Absolutely. The Prom should have been open to all in the first place.

Sparkatus | Friday April 9, 2010 09:38 pm 68
In response to studentofiahs @ 65

Just one normal night where you didn’t have to worry about the press, huh? But that one night just happens to be the one night that all the hubbub is about.

It’s really very simple: as a group, your school board, parents and a critical mass of students decided you didn’t want a certain person at your prom with an “inappropriate” date.

If the school hadn’t made a big deal out of it, this discussion wouldn’t be taking place. Do you honestly think that the national press would care about a prom in Fulton, MS? Instead, you would have had a party, and mixed in among the many stories of the evening would have been a minor one about Constance and her girlfriend. In other words, life would have happened.

You’d have had a “normal” night of fun. But because your school tried to exclude a certain person, you made yourselves a center of national attention and a symbol of bigotry. Your classmates also posted that it was all Constance’s fault and that she was just trying to gain attention. I hope one day you’ll recognize she couldn’t have done it without you. .

mrmikey | Friday April 9, 2010 10:46 pm 69
In response to studentofiahs @ 65

You and your friends don’t have a moral leg to stand on, and you are on very loose legal ground as well.

You and your friends, and their parents circumvented a court ruling willfully. Your facebook postings, pictures, and facebook groups are in the public domain now.

You took a small town girl who now looks even BETTER in the limelight now that people are connecting her to Juin. The weak attempts by you and others to make her seem like an attention *censored* falls short.

There is video documentation of her standing up for Juin’s rights, there is legal documentation of her standing up for her own rights. This is how civil rights movements get started, if you didn’t know. With a courageous soul, and a number of callous and sometimes clueless people.

If you had let it alone, let her have her one night.. You’d really have never heard of this again, Juin has already moved on and Constance would have too.

Instead she has free college schooling, probable impending movie/tv specials, financial income (Aka lexus baby!).. An the support from GLBT and straight people across the world.

I live in seattle, guess what your boneheaded moves are in papers here. They’ve reached media outlets, tv news, and before long I’m sure everyone will know how boneheaded the kids from IAHS truly are.

We certainly have recognized that through probably no fault of your own, the prejudices and misconceptions that your parents have.. Nay not just your parents, but your educators have, that your community harbors have tainted your lives. Maybe you don’t share the “Bigoted” point of view some do.. But by complacently going to the “Private party” and alienating not one, not two, but up to Nine other people protected by discrimination laws..

You folks get penalized as well, people will remember IAHS, and the tarnished image will follow you.

BearCountry | Saturday April 10, 2010 05:57 am 70
In response to studentofiahs @ 65

You must be someone that wants to make your high school look bad. I can’t believe that a senior would have such bad grammar and spelling skills. Your defense of the “not prom” prom is certainly not clear. You are not openly gay, if that is what you claim, because the instructions said to bring a date of the opposite sex. All in all, I think that you are some kind of troll working against the school.

librty | Saturday April 10, 2010 06:42 am 71
In response to trademarkdave @ 22

and you receive delight that the other students will not be receiving higher education but working at the walmart?

Good For You

Lisa Derrick | Saturday April 10, 2010 08:36 am 72

Lisa Derrick/LaFiga here

Thanks studentofIAHS for responding and giving us your perspective.

Nextly, could we stop criticizing grammar and spelling? I type horribly, and have at times caught myself with “could of” instead of “could have.” Sniping about grammar and spelling is really petty. Ideas are the important thing.

Now about the prom: If the kids wanted a something away from the media, that would have happened. I don’t recall there being paparazzi at Fulton Country Club–had there been this story would have hit Saturday not Monday morning. So the “we wanted a quiet prom away from the media” doesn’t fly..a couple dads at the entrance to the Evergreen location parking lot would have kept out the media, had they bothered to show up.

None of the kids who went to the cabin party or other events posted photos, only the kids who went to Evergreen Masquerade. And these kids made sure all that everybody knew there was a huge dance party in Evergreen.

There are some kids who chose not to go to either the school-sponsored prom or to the Evergreen. That seemed to be a sensible non-confront, and they kept silent. The kids aside from Constance who went to the country club are staying quiet. Constance spoke out because that was necessity.

I wish that events had transpired so that she could have said “Almost everyone was there, and it was so much fun. There was no meanness, and no hostility, and we danced all night. Here’s to a great rest of the year.” But sadly, a group of parents decided to to undermine goodwill and ended up making themselves, their children, city town and their state (and actually America) look pretty nasty, petty and ugly

I hope that the senior and junior year concludes for IAHS students they’ve learned something more than how to fix their settings on Facebook. I hope they’ve learned that being nice to people is part of Jesus’ message, that good manners and kindness are a social lubricant, that deceit is a sin with real world repercussions.

Twain | Saturday April 10, 2010 09:22 am 73

This “event” has rippled across the entire world and these school administrators, parents and students are going to carry this throughout their lives. No one will ever forget. There is no forgiveness when you do harm to someone. It’s always a good idea to keep your bigotry quiet. I think in years to come, these students will be uncomfortable even around each other knowing what they did. There will be few who will say “hey, remember the prom? Wasn’t that fun.”

mrmikey | Saturday April 10, 2010 09:34 am 74
In response to librty @ 71

The delight comes from karma serving its purposes.

The delight comes that someone who stood up for the civil rights not just for herself, but for another one who was persecuted for being “Different” is getting recognition for good works.

Her entire community see’s her as a media hungry attention *censored* but instead of milking it for all its worth.

Where has constance been since the “Prom” has she been touring the media studios and I just haven’t seen it anywhere on the web? Is she out doing craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy lesbian things for attention?

She is staying off the media radar, while all these children aren’t. I can’t even call the parents grown up, because they are all acting like school yard children. Petty, immature, full of spite, sticking it to a young woman. As they continue they keep providing fuel not only for a potential legal battle for civil rights, but for the media to come and shine light on all their dirty little secrets.

I hope Constance continues her fight through her life, she will gain a lot more supporters with her efforts for equality.

perlywerly | Saturday April 10, 2010 05:49 pm 75

I’ve long since resigned to the fact that many Americans (not all, judging by some of the responses on this site and the author herself) have bad grammar and spelling, but please, PLEASE use some paragraphing, at least.

That aside, part of me agrees with the students of IAHS. Prom is a big thing for a bunch of little teenagers, probably the one “milestone” before heading out into what they think is the “Real World”.

However, it would seem to me that the closest person in IAHS to being out in this “Real World” would be Constance, having stepped out of the boundaries of her bubble while the other students remain in theirs, floating in a sea of comfort and discrimination against non-bubblers. :P

Personally, being from a country where the main population is Chinese and most of the people are quite slender, like most Asians are, I was different. I am fat, so I didn’t fit in with the majority of students, who seemed to shun be because of that. I am also a gamer, so I didn’t fit in with the geeks because I was a girl. I just found out my class is throwing a ten-year reunion party thing. Of course, I’m not invited to that either. Doesn’t help that I moved 9000 miles away to a different country (USA!), haha. :)

Anyway, in response to the studentofiahs, your statement that the disabled students in your school are “the most popular students at our school” confuses me a little, considering a response one of your other classmates (softballgirl10) posted on an earlier entry, “…i don’t understand the disabled kids stuff, we don’t even talk to them, so stop judging. they could have come to our prom if they wanted to.”

So which is it? Enlighten us, please.

milowent | Saturday April 10, 2010 06:10 pm 76

thought: one thing that is consistent in IAHS student comment, but which really makes no sense, is that the 1st “private” prom was cancelled after Constance allegedly tried to buy a ticket too late. Why didn’t they just give her a ticket? The CLAIM is that Constance threatened to sue, but why is not really clear. If it was a private prom and she tried to buy it too late, she’d have no case.

i believe the parents cancelled the 1st private prom because they did not want constance to attend with a same-sex date and wearing a tux. that’s why they feared being sued. the parents, like the school board previously, blamed uppity Constance again for the cancellation.

THAT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT. Lori Byrd, and other parents who called Constance a “bitch” on facebook, are to blame for ruining forever the reputation of Fulton, Miss. Nice job “parents”!

avast2006 | Sunday April 11, 2010 11:19 pm 77

studentofiahs:

This other party was for all intents and purposes a replacement Prom. That you continue to cling to this idea of it being just some other dance merely makes you look like a deliberate liar.

1) There are countless instances posted to various internet sites in text and image documentation referring to this “party” as the 2010 Prom by students and parents.

2) Many students were furious at Constance for getting the Prom cancelled. (Never mind that Constance had neither the authority to cancel the Prom nor the desire to see it happen, so clearly the student anger was absurdly misdirected.) Then, when the official school event was reinstated, nearly the entire student body elected to go to just some other event, rather than The Prom.

3) The decorations from this Prom were obviously diverted from the original school-sponsored event. The original event theme was “Masquerade.” The decorations for the Not-Prom were enormous masks. Gee, what a coincidence.

4) All manner of individuals are on record saying that this was about showing Constance and the ACLU that IAHS and Fulton couldn’t be pushed around.

Bottom line: Constance asked to come to the Prom with her girlfriend; she was denied; a judge told the school officials that they were denying her rights; despite the court order, events were manipulated such that in the end Constance was prevented from attending the main event with the rest of her classmates.

In short…you aren’t fooling anyone.

ThingsComeUndone | Monday April 12, 2010 10:03 pm 78
In response to trademarkdave @ 22

I like the way you think:)

ThingsComeUndone | Monday April 12, 2010 11:00 pm 79
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 47

I think they probably both disliked highschool. I think they were deflecting from a topic they didn’t like. Your reaction is justified. Still they are both my friends I think I would rather have tried to explain why this topic is so important.

ThingsComeUndone | Monday April 12, 2010 11:29 pm 80
In response to librty @ 71

Sometimes the Lord is Just:)

PearlyWerly | Wednesday April 14, 2010 03:48 am 81

Has there been any updates on the situation?