FBI Investigating Cut Gas Line at Home of Rep Perriello’s Brother

I wrote about some idiot tea partier posting what he thought was the address of Representative Tom Perriello, so that people annoyed with his health care vote and other issues could pay a visit and have

a good face-to-face chat.

Only, it was the address of congressman’s brother. Now Federal and local authorities are investigating a severed gas line at Bo Perriello’s house. The gas line led from a propane tank to a barbecue on the back porch, and while it posed no immediate threat to the Perriello family, both the FBI and the Albemarle County fire marshal are investigating the incident, and police have stepped up patrols in the area as well.

Monday, Teablogger Mike Troxel said:

If they would like to provide me with the address of Tom, then I’d be more than happy to take it down.

Troxel then posted a long response about how it was not his fault if the internets were wrong, so neener. His site has currently exceeded its bandwidth, so you can’t read his cringe-worthy, self righteous screed, but it was pretty icky.

Another Tea Partier, Nigel Coleman, wrote on his Facebook page:

This is Rep. Thomas Stuart Price Perriello’s home address … I ain’t holding back anymore!!

According to a number of news reports, Coleman also wrote on another blog–since removed:

Do you mean I posted his brother’s address on my Facebook? Oh well, collateral damage.

Coleman later said that:

his choice of words was “definitely in poor taste.” He said he was not aware of anyone actually visiting the address and said this was not an organized effort by the 5th District tea parties.

“A lot of us who are tea partiers, we communicate through social networks,” Coleman said. “One of the other tea partiers in another group put up an address and said it was Tom Perriello’s address and several others of us put it up on our Facebook pages and Twitter accounts.

“Turns out that it was not in fact his address, it was his brother’s. That was not something we were going for. We just wanted people to get a little closer to their congressman.”

Yeah, morans, it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye. WTF?!

Oh, and BTW, the increased cost of protecting members of Congress will come out of all the taxpayers’ pockets, and could result in a decrease of personal freedoms. You idiots, idiots, idiots!

And yeah, I am waiting for the double-douche comment that

Oh the Perriellos or some progressive activist cut the gas line themselves to discredit the Tea Party.

Please link to that when that–or posts about how anti-Democratic vandalism is just pissed off progressives trying to make true patriots look bad–show up. Because it’s never their fault. (See: Tiller). Facefuckingpalm.jpg.

54 Responses to "FBI Investigating Cut Gas Line at Home of Rep Perriello’s Brother"
OldFatGuy | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:20 pm 1

Huh.

I’m livid myself with the Democrats, but I confess that what I’m seeing and hearing now is downright scary. And I saw and heard some downright scary shit in 60′s too.

Unless somebody turns those megaphones that assholes like Rush, Beck, et al have, then this is going to end very badly.

Very badly.

Assholes.

OldFatGuy | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:21 pm 2

Should’ve been turn those megaphones off that..

No edit button here.

I really need to make good friends with preview.

yellowsnapdragon | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:22 pm 3

So why is this sort of attack on a (perceived) Congressperson NOT an act of terror?

Knut | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:22 pm 4

I would expect the FBI to set up a special unit to investigate this particular variety of hate crime, with a view to seeing whether these actions are being coordinated, or are just the foam of the craziness that is being stirred up by Beck, Palin and Company. My guess is that the first instant they find some connecting thread that isn’t just talk, the FBI will pounce and pounce hard. Holder is not going to let this slide, either.

yellowsnapdragon | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:23 pm 5

Good thing we’ve still got Gitmo.

yellowsnapdragon | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:23 pm 6
In response to yellowsnapdragon @ 5

Snark! Not serious.

OldFatGuy | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:25 pm 7
In response to Knut @ 4

Yep, and then the Republican establishment will have to make a hard choice.

They can go along, and condem the violence, or they can turn it up by declaring those investigations and indictments “politically motivated” and this will turn the heat up more.

Unfortunately, I have a good idea which of those two the Republicans will choose.

TobyWollin | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:31 pm 8
In response to Knut @ 4

Anyone here know what the law is on what happens to people using the Internet to foment this sort of stuff?

john in sacramento | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:32 pm 9

This it?

google cache link

kgb999 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:32 pm 10
In response to yellowsnapdragon @ 3

Well, I guess we could just call ALL crime an act of terror. Of course, then we’d have to make up a new word for real terrorism. The “everything is terrorism” device sucked when Bush used it … the device sucks equally when progressives use it.

Stop already.

ShotoJamf | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:37 pm 11

Rachel Maddow had a piece on this extremist wingnut stuff last night. Go here:

yellowsnapdragon | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:39 pm 12
In response to kgb999 @ 10

My point is that there is hypocricy going on here. A man verbally confronts Cheney and gets arrested in front of his child, charged with terrorism. A teabagger cuts a gas line at a Congressperson’s (perceived) home, and it is not terrorism?

Chill. We are on the same side.

TobyWollin | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:48 pm 13
In response to yellowsnapdragon @ 12

Colorado Rep. Betsy Markey has been receiving threats of violence over the phone. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/24/betsy-markey-receiving-th_n_512123.html

kgb999 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:49 pm 14
In response to TobyWollin @ 8

Well, they did have some success going after that internet radio guy who published the home addresses of the judges … but he accompanied it with some blatant language saying that the information should be used to carry out a physical assassination. I’m pretty sure calling for violence is where the line is drawn, and these guys appear to have stayed away from that line (based on news reports … I haven’t wasted my time reading their words directly).

banderson2 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:53 pm 15

I recently looked at one of the tea party right-wing web sites to get a idea of what these people think and just like I figured they don’t really have a idea. They are just angry. They are angry that a half black man was elected president. They are angry that hispanic are coming across the southern border and they are angry that they are getting old. Almost all of these people are white and over the age of 60. Half of them live off Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits yet they complain about government run programs. Contrary to popular opinion these people are not individuals who suddenly decided to get involved in the political process. Most of these people voted for the McCain-Palin ticket and because they lost they are angry.

onitgoes | Wednesday March 24, 2010 02:54 pm 16

Some conservatives have posted on a couple of blogs here recently, and I sincerely welcome conservatives and their point of view (genuinely). However, in a couple of recent instances two different conservatives (I think they were different people) had a similar thing to say.

To sum up (perhaps inelegantly), both pretty much said that we lefties on our blogs and stuff were focused “too much” on the “tiny minority” of conservatives that engaged either in hate speech (such as the nasty stuff that happened this weekend to Congress folks) and/or stuff like this.

And the “solution” that both offered was: lefties should all just turn our heads, look the other way, and ignore this stuff… and it will “go away.”

Seriously. I’m not making it up.

I tried to engage in a diplomatic discourse about this, but got no reply. I’m fine with having conservatives contribute here, but saying that this is “no big deal” and “just ignore it and it will go away” is ridiculous, frankly.

I did point out – politely – that there was far too much rightwing media personalities out there on a daily (hourly) basis riling up conservatives and totally encouraging (even giving them directions) to engage in stuff like this (and hate speech and spitting at congress people and so on). And so, it’s patently ridiculous to blame it on blogs like FDL, where we are just reporting on things that factually happen.

I really would like to engage in serious “conversations” with conservatives, but I find their world view so seriously twisted at this point that it’s hard to know how to begin.

and so on…

I find something like this chilling. I don’t feel it should be called terrorism, but I also think that such actions should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It’s a crime. And I think that those who incite others to do this should be called out by the conservative establishment, but I sure won’t hold my breath for that to happen. IOKIYAR

transparait | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:02 pm 17
In response to banderson2 @ 15

I’m none of that and I’m pretty pissed off atm as well.

kgb999 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:05 pm 18
In response to yellowsnapdragon @ 12

Maybe I’m just touchy … probably spending too much time around TPMers who don’t have any sense of irony and make long emotional posts laying out an “intellectual” case to call any act of violence (if carried out by their adversaries) terrorism. I haven’t checked over there today, but I’ll bet there is at least one (and likely several) post making a seriously heartfelt assertion of terrorism in this specific case.

I’m just not convinced perpetuating shit that sucked about the Bush administration is the best way to move forward to a better place. I get it. I just think it’s damaging to keep tossing out into the public sphere. I know … snark … it’s the blog-o-spheres; like I said, I’m just touchy these days.

mmroden | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:08 pm 19

btw, it’s spelled ‘morons.’

Unless you’re going for ‘someone with an opposing view’ as per

workingclass | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:09 pm 20

It will be interesting to see if the feds crack down on this kind of stuff. Its not like these sort of things are really dangerous, like ACORN.

workingclass | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:14 pm 21
In response to banderson2 @ 15

Some are angry about being forced to buy insurance. I’m angry about that also.

Twain | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:18 pm 22
In response to workingclass @ 21

They were angry long before the health insurance bill. They’re not quite sure why they’re angry but they are perfectly happy to hurt people because of it.

kgb999 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:24 pm 23
In response to onitgoes @ 16

I can’t speak for conservatives. I don’t know what the hell I am, but is sure isn’t conservative. I think the commenters you highlight were likely talking about the oxygen these incidents are given.

When I was young, there used to be a policy where media coverage was often denied terrorists and kidnappers. The idea was that rewarding the people with the attention they were seeking to bring their cause would have the perverse consequence of demonstrating to others that if they wanted media attention, taking similar actions would accomplish the goal. The argument made sense to me at the time, and it still sort of does.

Seriously. You likely aren’t in a position to personally do anything about this at all. This is true for every single American who isn’t in law enforcement … and assigned to the issue. I don’t see how a bunch of media hype combined with specific focus on your part makes the job of law enforcement any more effective. OTOH, I can see how, for a group of people who are very angry and want their cause to stay in the media, full breathless coverage could send a clear message that this is an effective vehicle to accomplish that goal.

Saying that you personally should stop obsessing over something that you are literally powerless to change – and which there is a cadre of serious professionals working night and day to counter – seems a far cry from saying that these people should be ignored across the board. I think it’s a pretty rational position to think these people should ONLY be getting attention from law enforcement and we should deny them the audience and fame they so desperately crave. The current freak-out mode seems to just encourage those on the fringe seeking their 15 minutes of fame and immortality as a crusader.

I didn’t see their comment, so I’m probably putting words in the mouth of posters you are referring to … but that’s the idea that I came away with from your comment. Interestingly, it isn’t one I’d really focused on before.

kgb999 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:27 pm 24
In response to banderson2 @ 15

Curious. What site did you visit?

dakine01 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:44 pm 25
In response to mmroden @ 19

It’s called snark based on this photo

In other words, when speaking of the ones who can’t spell correctly, it is often misspelled purposefully.

banderson2 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:48 pm 26
In response to workingclass @ 21

Being forced to purchase insurance is a Republican idea. This individual mandate is a amendment that was offered by Chuck (kill grandma) Grassley. The individual mandate is also a issue that the conservative think tank Heritage Foundation recommended. Heck even prescription for repeal flip flopper Mitt Rommney had this in his comprehensive bill when he was Governor in Mass. The bottom line is that no matter how angry a person is, no one should be going around threatening someone else because they don’t agree with you.

ShotoJamf | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:48 pm 27
In response to dakine01 @ 25

This guy doesn’t get out much, eh?

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:49 pm 28
In response to john in sacramento @ 9

Thaaks! yes it is oh wise of the ‘t00bs.

banderson2 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 03:49 pm 29
In response to kgb999 @ 24

Stormfront.org

razorbrain | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:00 pm 30
In response to kgb999 @ 23

That’s fine, if the fucking law enforcement people actually, you know, do their job. Not a sure bet by a long shot.

cregan | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:18 pm 31
In response to OldFatGuy @ 7

I seem to remember many, many incidents regarding Republicans and those of the anti-war bent during the hot debate on the Iraq War.

The comments on Stupak’s phone were pretty mild compared to what I saw here Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

There are always a few nuts.

On the other hand, when you go against the bulk of public opinion, you have to have courage–as Obama says. So, don’t whine.

Again, the only principle in operation today is:

If it’s on side, it’s OK. If it’s on your side, it’s a tragedy. If it’s on my side, bending the rules is courageous. If it’s on your side, why it’s undermining the Constitution.

There are no principles among Democrats, Republicans or their supporters. That even extends to getting some principles back. You (fill in Republican or Democrats, depending on your viewpoint) have to get them (principles) back–not me, I’m fine.

Down, down, down we go. Round, round, round we go. Look at the spin, lovin’ the spin I’m, under that old black magic called politics.

kgb999 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:21 pm 32
In response to banderson2 @ 29

Oh Jesus. That’s not a “teabagger” site! That is a legendary Neo-Nazi website that has been on the SPLC watch list for more than a decade.

The local teabaggers in my area joined up with this group. They have their own brand of crazy … but they aren’t friggin Nazis! Oddly, they seem focused on N. Korea at the moment … wonder WTF that is about?

canadianbeaver | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:22 pm 33

This is just the beginning. Gutless politicians that have not done what the masses have been asking for, are going to be sorry. Left, right, up, down, it doesn’t matter. One side will start it, the other will get involved and voila. Instant crimewave. This is what happens when politicians on both sides don’t listen. For too long, all the nice/nice talk has been great, but it’s been obvious for a long time that it would escalate. Has to. Nothing is getting solved by either side.

cregan | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:32 pm 34
In response to onitgoes @ 16

Well, you see, when people see that the other side pay no attention to the vitriol heaped on conservatives, it is understandable why their complaints get the brush off.

For example, Ann Coulter (who I don’t agree with much) has her speech canceled by a Canadian university because “they afraid the protests might turn violent.”

Authorities likely had good reason to believe so.

Here, in this site, the response would be something along the lines, “Well, that wing nut deserves it. She was lucky they invited her anyway in the first place, anyway.”

The protests a few years ago in Seattle. I wasn’t around here then, but I doubt anyone here suggested getting the FBI to track them down as terrorists or send them to Gitmo.

Get the reason why complaints such as above aren’t really taken too seriously?

They only complain when the violence is against someone they agree with. Never the other way around.

cregan | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:32 pm 35

I needed to edit the above, but the system wouldn’t let me. So excuse the typos.

banderson2 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:49 pm 36
In response to kgb999 @ 32

The reason I noticed this site is because one of their members posted a comment on a yahoo page that stated that dems better watch out because they can either swing from the left or swing from the right as long as they swing by the neck. When I read that post I got a chill down my back because I knew that this guy was serious and I don’t mean political serious. These so called teabaggers have militia roots and plenty of guns and bullets. Most of them have had some form of military and or law enforcement training. I think all law abiding Americans need to wake up and keep a look out for these people because some of them are dangerous.

cregan | Wednesday March 24, 2010 05:13 pm 37
In response to banderson2 @ 36

I agree. I hope law abiding Americans also wake up and keep a look out for violent protesters such as those in Seattle or the Earth First members.

When I see threads covering those subjects with the same vigor, then I’ll give credibility to posts such as those here.

Otherwise, skip the whining.

transparait | Wednesday March 24, 2010 05:43 pm 38

Tea Party Democrat running in Connecticut.

Coulter’s horrid, btw. Yech.

sumpls | Wednesday March 24, 2010 05:47 pm 39
In response to workingclass @ 21

I think the actual deal is that insurance is required past a certain income and you get a tax break to offset the cost out of pocket. (I agree I hoped for better.) Under-employed and under 27 can now be covered on their parent’s insurance which used to be only as a full-time student.

DonS | Wednesday March 24, 2010 05:50 pm 40

Let’s hope the FBI catches the SOB’s and injects a degree of reality to these cowboys who are all pumped up on Palin and teabags. The long arm of the law ought toget their attention and snap their ignorant heads back.

john in sacramento | Wednesday March 24, 2010 06:23 pm 41
In response to cregan @ 37

Not condoning anything but …

You mentioned Seattle – Common Ground co-founder Brandon Darby admits to role as FBI informant

and Earth First – which could include the people who were prodded by FBI infiltrator Anna

Point being, that there are many instances of agents provocateurs inciting behaviors whenever there is a protest or incident that seems to be carried out by someone characterized as being on the left

john in sacramento | Wednesday March 24, 2010 06:30 pm 42

(Hmm, there’s no edit here)

I mentioned Seattle in my first link which seems wrong (the search took me to the link, sorry). Still, I think my point stands though

YMMV

onitgoes | Wednesday March 24, 2010 06:31 pm 43
In response to cregan @ 34

I *think* I understand what you’re saying (harder to communicate via blog), but I would, with respect, disagree in part. I don’t know anything about Ann Coulter’s speech being canceled in Canada, but hey: it’s Canada, not here. So I’m not sure that’s totally applicable.

If I understand you correctly, you appear to me to be saying that one side of the political spectrum (in my case, as a leftie) is only “upset” if the invective (or whatever) is being hurled against them personally. If “my” side is doing the hurling, then “my” side is ok with it.

Up to a point, I can sort of agree with you. However, what I find upsetting, in particular, is the rightwing’s (or some portion thereof) current behaviors which are clearly racist, homophobic and often sexist as well. If “my” side (lefties) engaged in such behavior, I would personally decry it loudly and often. And I feel fairly certain that this site, at least, would also decry it or even moderate the comments.

Clearly I cannot speak for every leftist or purported leftie blog site, but I see much more self-moderating behavior (that’s my personal take) on leftie blog sites than I see on the rightwing sites, such as RedStates.

Frankly, I give most of the tea partiers a lot of credit for getting out there and voicing their opinion. What I don’t give them credit for is ongoing nasty racist signs and language, along with having huge posters of dead Jews at Dachau (purportedly being what will happen under this HCR, which is ludicrous and offensive) with numerous Republican Representatives and Senators standing under said sign and endorsing it. Believe me, if any Democrat did that, this blog wouldn’t waste one second to excoriate it, yet I hear crickets on the right. IMO I think simply “ignoring” it is irresponsible.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the drift of how I feel. I’m talking more about specifics of how protests have been lodged recently, and no, I didn’t see racism, antisemitism, homophobia and sexism being exhibted at protests in Seattle.

Just my take, but thanks for your thoughtful response.

banderson2 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 06:38 pm 44
In response to cregan @ 37

So let me get this straight, because I stated that law abiding citizens should watch out for dangerous indiviudals I am suddenly whining. Oh I see, you are a teabagger. Didn’t mean to step on your parade Mr. Teabagger, but if you can’t stand that some of your people are idiots and dangerous then you should be more careful with the way you approach people because if one of you come this way I guarantee I won’t be calling the police, I’ll be calling the coroner to take your body away.

onitgoes | Wednesday March 24, 2010 06:41 pm 45
In response to kgb999 @ 23

Thanks for your response. You make some good points. In this particular case, where the propane gas line was cut, it is clearly a criminal matter that requires the attention of law enforcement.

However, my concern (perhaps not expressed that clearly in this post) expressed in my other blog, is that I think it’s specious to tell lefties/progressives/democrats (whatever) that the problem lies with our focus on the nasty verbiage and racist signs carried by tea party people. Why should we not discuss it here and ask for conservatives to take a stand against that?

I think it’s specious because the minimal amount of attention paid to rightwing tea party hate speech and tactics is simply not what’s driving their agenda. I didn’t make this clear in my post here, but on the other posts I suggested that perhaps the rhetoric would become more civil only when rightwing pundits and personalities and, yes, Republican politicans stop very definitely and emphatically encouraging such behavior.

That’s where I have a problem. If I(and leftwing blogs) simply “ignore” this junk, nothing will change. Seriously. Listen to Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity or Bill O’Reilly for one random minute any day of the week. These people are leaders for many, many Republicans (all of my family members included), and they definitely incite and encourage this behavior. Telling leftists that it’s somehow our “fault” for not just turning out heads and looking the other way is patently absurb.

If I don’t protest this behavior (I’m speaking about the racism, homophobia, sexism and other hate speech and signs), who will? The conservatives who intially responded to me said that they didn’t think that they “needed” to do anything. I disagree.

onitgoes | Wednesday March 24, 2010 06:49 pm 46
In response to cregan @ 37

Sorry but that’s a false equivalency. And they have been dealt with in different ways. Seriously, you’re comparing apples to oranges.

It’s easy to get caught up in “my” side v. “their” side, and yes, we do that, too, here. I agree.

However, we need to all get away from the “us” v. “them” sports team analogies. I invite you to consider that for a moment.

What is happening to ALL American citizens at the hands of our government (which I personally think is just a one party system run by the corporations anymore) happens to ALL (yes, repetitive). It’s easy to buy into an “us” v. “them” analogy and then just point and blame the other side.

Really LOOK at what individual protests are all about, rather than just looking at which “side” is involved in the protest. Think about the issues involved, rather than which “side” is doing the protest. That might be a better way to look at it.

TalkingStick | Wednesday March 24, 2010 07:02 pm 47
In response to banderson2 @ 29

That is a very scary bunch. They have been around for a long time. They are your generic Christian White Identiy group. They supported the guy who murdered the abortion doctor in Wichita.

razorbrain | Wednesday March 24, 2010 07:10 pm 48
In response to cregan @ 34

Sorry, but the crackdown in Seattle was hard and effective. And I recall a guy in an anti-Bush t-shirt who got arrested at a Cheney rally and charged with terrorism. The enforcement has not been even-handed, and that is a fact.

PJEvans | Wednesday March 24, 2010 07:13 pm 49

One thing I see getting lost here: popane mixed with air is explosive. The explosion could – probably would – have killed everyone in that house, and likely killed or injured some of the neighbors.

It might not be terrorism, but it would certainly be a crime.
Troxel deserves to have his journalism degree revoked, due to lack of ethics.

banderson2 | Wednesday March 24, 2010 07:52 pm 50
In response to razorbrain @ 48

And it won’t be. During the time the Republicans were in charge if you criticized Bush you were called unpatriotic or jew hater, or muslim lover.

TalkingStick | Wednesday March 24, 2010 07:59 pm 51
In response to PJEvans @ 49

Yes I was thinking the same thing and wondered why the press didn’t mention that.

razorbrain | Wednesday March 24, 2010 08:09 pm 52
In response to banderson2 @ 50

The left’s own gentleness and eagerness to forgive and rise above has and will continue to be it’s undoing unless we wise up. When dealing with bullies who only understand pain and power, pacifism is a most inappropriate response. I never go out unarmed, because I know from bitter experience what is out there, and I am clear in my own mind that my survival is more important than their survival if they choose to invade my personal space with bad intent. Woody Allen was right when he said that baseball bats work best when dealing with Nazis. I wish it was a gentler world, but it’s not, and won’t be, unless and until we acquire the power to reshape it.

inspiraven | Wednesday March 24, 2010 09:03 pm 53

I went over to Townhall.com today for the first time. I glanced around and saw an Article titled Violence Is Never the Answer Comments and re-actions clearly showed displeasure at the audacity of the message.

ambulocetus | Wednesday March 24, 2010 10:09 pm 54

I’ve decided to offer free martial arts lessons to any secular progressives in the East Chicago area. No fancy kicks or brazilian fads; just real self defense. Apply here: http://smac.forum.st/forum.htm