Teabagger Fail: Call for Protest Goes to Wrong Address

One lump or two?

Part of freedom of assembly is the right to show up and complain. I have had people opposed to my views visit my block and bitch about me to my neighbors — and leave fliers that attempted to cast me in a disparaging light on nearby doorsteps. It was sorta creepy, but legal, as long as the fliers didn’t go in mailboxes, no one carried lit torches and the pitchforks were made of cardboard. I have a dog and curtains, though I did step out and have a word or several with the folks each time — my camera in hand — and my neighbors gave them a piece of their minds too since they don’t care if I march in an LGBT Pride parade or attempt to expose totalitarian pseudo-religions.

My car getting egged recently was a little juvenile, but if that was the best response to something I disseminated via the media, well golly, that’s teh lulz one has to accept for doing good works and exercising freedom of speech and free press.

At least my protesters got the car and the address right, unlike a Tea Party member who posted up what he thought was Rep. Tom Perriello’s home address on his blog with a suggestion for those opposed to his vote on health care reform:

Just in case any of his friends and neighbors want to drop by and say hi and express their thanks regarding his vote for healthcare. I personally believe it’s so important for representatives to remain fully grounded and to remember exactly what it is their constituents are saying and how they are telling them to vote. Nothing quite does that like a good face-to-face chat. It has a much more personal touch to it.

Only the address isn’t Rep Perriello’s; it belongs to the congressman’s brother. Teablogger Mike Troxel told Politico that

he has no intention of removing the address from the blog.

Troxel found the address through a directory website and said he would only replace what he currently has on the blog with an address provided by Perriello’s office.

“If they would like to provide me with the address of Tom, then I’d be more than happy to take it down,” he said. “I have no reason to believe it’s not his house.”

So far no one has bothered to visit Perriello’s brother, most likely because no one can be bothered, and there’s that whole golden rule thing. But Troxel’s remarks, and continuing to keep up the wrong address smacks of intimidation, purely and simply, and involving family members is a cheap, sleazy shot.

At one point during the height of my activism,  my home address was posted on a public forum with a veiled threat. I took it seriously. Very. Seriously. When a member of the LAPD took me aside at a protest and told me to be careful walking to and from my car because random crime can happen, I took that very seriously; he was warning me about the people we were protesting and their goon squads. When I was in a cab getting chased through Hollywood by two guys in an SUV, I took that very seriously. Yeah, there are teh lulz, but the again there’s personal safety. Dog. Curtains. Etc.

I responded by being very public about what was happening, which is the only way to defuse intimidation.  The stories being published about Troxel’s troll fail do much the same thing. And reveal many things about Tea Party members. Some of which aren’t very pretty.

16 Responses to "Teabagger Fail: Call for Protest Goes to Wrong Address"
firedrake | Tuesday March 23, 2010 11:15 am 1

I am amazed by the utter lack of civility and common sense being shown by much of the very right wing of our society. It’s like they think that, because they disagree with you, they can do anything they want to make their point, and the politicians who they follow can disavow their actions all they like. Except, of course for those who shout “baby killer!” and “you lie!” on the floor of the House.

While it may be said that there are those in the media who are whipping things into a frenzy, the responsibility is and must remain with those who are taking these inappropriate actions. Until they can be held accountable, they will keep hiding behind their childish, yet dangerous tactics.

egregious | Tuesday March 23, 2010 03:02 pm 2

For the record – we have a policy of not giving out personal information including someone’s home address. We have to do the right thing even when other people do not.

dosido | Tuesday March 23, 2010 03:34 pm 3

I have no reason to believe it’s not —-.”

What IS it with these insane people who cannot comprehend facts?

Synoia | Tuesday March 23, 2010 03:34 pm 4

That’s an old picture of the Mad Hatter.
Hatter’s became mad because of Mercury poisoning.
10/6 – for a price. Haven’t seen that for many years.

dosido | Tuesday March 23, 2010 03:35 pm 5
In response to firedrake @ 1

Unfortunately I know people who parent like this. They allow their kids to misbehave because the kids are carrying out what they’d like to do but know it isn’t socially acceptable. IOW the kids/protesters are doing their will. And they are guilty because they condone it. Very passive aggressive.

LindaR | Tuesday March 23, 2010 03:45 pm 6

Just intuitively, these violent teabaggers make me think of Kristallnacht, and yet they want to call Obama Hitler.

More projection.

uglyamerican | Tuesday March 23, 2010 03:58 pm 7

Pervasive Intimidation and Totalitarian Thought Insistence is not only seen on the far right. It is also seen on the ultra far left.

Let’s keep that in mind. Irregardless of our position in the political spectrum, we should strive for civility in our civic discourse …

drmyk | Tuesday March 23, 2010 04:58 pm 8

509 bandwidth limit exceeded. Guess that’s one way to get the address off the net.

DonS | Tuesday March 23, 2010 05:21 pm 9

Guess what, down here in SW Virginia, the ‘real’ Virginia’, we call these idiots who call themselves ‘patriots’ . . . well they are really assholes. They may take down Perillo (though I have more faith in the intelligent people in that district), but they are still assholes. And they know what that means.

frankBel | Tuesday March 23, 2010 06:24 pm 10

Please, show some respect for readers who are ON YOUR SIDE, but who are unfamiliar wit many of the text-message abbreviations. For example, it took me as much time to decide that IOW probably means “in other words” as it took me, a commenter with a missing right index finger to type the full phrase. What does “teh lulz” mean? It can’t be a typo, since it appears twice in this post, and the character sequence “teh” appears in many other posts.

BearCountry | Tuesday March 23, 2010 07:43 pm 11
In response to frankBel @ 10

In case you check: “teh” is a common typo for “the.” I believe that “lulz” is a sloppy way of saying “rules” as some of the less than erudite speak. Another one you may see is “moran” (instead of “moron”) which some riechwing war supporter had on a sign at an anti war demonstration, if I recall correctly (IIRC).

frankBel | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:19 pm 12
In response to BearCountry @ 11

Thank you, BearCountry. It isn’t just the commentators. Some of the posts dealing with “National Security” and its intersection with civil liberties, the Constitution and the rule of law are always referring to TIOs (Three Initial Organizations — see how easy that was?), without at least a full title and a description of the particular organization’s purpose where first mentioned. More than just a courtesy, such little effort on the part of the author goes a long way in advancing the principle goal of a post, which should be to inform and engage readers.

soonergrunt | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:33 pm 13
In response to BearCountry @ 11

“for teh lulz” is leet-speak, or Elite Speak (internet slang) meaning “for the laughs.” Also “for shits and grins.”
The misspellings “teh” and “pwned,” are for ‘the’ and ‘owned.’
misspellings are common in online chats, particularly when said chats are part of games and the user is amped up on energy drinks and no sleep. They have since moved into common internet use, to the despair of actual literate people all over.

BearCountry | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:01 pm 14
In response to soonergrunt @ 13

Thanks. I read a lot of this stuff and I still miss some.

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday March 24, 2010 01:05 pm 15
In response to soonergrunt @ 13

Um, as a reasonably literate person, with a facility and appreciation for language both high and low brow, I use slang and “SAT words” whenever I feel like it for specific effect. Whilst some might despair, kindly keep in mind that this is pop culture blog wherein I traffic in words, and that I am very conscious of their resonance and purpose.

Sometimes I use “vocabulary” words–recently I got email from someone who was impressed that I used troglodyte in a sentence AND spelled it right. Like, um, really? Isn’t that pretty much a normal everyday word? For me it is, as much as lulz. If you read me regularly you’ll see if mix it up a lot, throwing in Shakespeare, Pynchon, Joyce, polysyllabic puns and whatever else, though I tend to stay away from most shorthands except WTF and FTW (“what the f*” and “for the win”)

In the beginning was the Word, “spell” is both a verb and noun, and well, there’s what the ephesia grammata, and all grammars, really are.

geminorange | Wednesday March 24, 2010 05:22 pm 16
In response to DonS @ 9

these idiots who call themselves ‘patriots’ …

I’ve always figured that most, if not all, of those who call themselves “Patriots” today would have been Loyalists/Tories in the 1770′s.